Author Topic: New case for Kinesis advantage?  (Read 4158 times)

Offline autoturk

New case for Kinesis advantage?
« on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 16:11:04 »
Hello all!

Has anyone thought about redesigning a case for the Kinesis Advantage? I know that there are some folks who have split theirs, but it might be interesting to place the hardware in an entirely new case. I've been thinking about it a bit (but have zero technical skills) for a couple of reasons:

• Obviously splitting would be quite nice without having to cut the existing case in half to achieve this.
  • It would be amazing to angle the thumb clusters to make them more vertical so that I can hit the thumb keys with the palm side of my thumb rather than the side (I hope that makes sense)
  • The case is current too damn tall. Obviously the contouring naturally makes it higher, but I think the keyboard could be brought closer to the surface it's on so that it doesn't require a lot of reconfiguration of the desk/tray height. In fact I'm thinking of just removing the bottom half of the case entirely and using PCB standoffs to see how it feels.

So, has anyone tried to reconfigure the components and fit them into a different case?
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2016, 17:52:21 by autoturk »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: New case for Kinesis advantage?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 16:27:46 »
So, what you mean is making a new case to mount the wells/clusters from the conversion kit? That should be possible; I'd start with clay and then 3d-print some structure after settling on a specific shape. Or you could completely switch to Dactyl or Katy.

Offline autoturk

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 17:54:30 »
So, what you mean is making a new case to mount the wells/clusters from the conversion kit? That should be possible; I'd start with clay and then 3d-print some structure after settling on a specific shape. Or you could completely switch to Dactyl or Katy.

Yes, basically just taking the wells and electronics and moving them into something that could allow for more customization. Since I don't have much in the way of technical skills I figured building a Dactyl or a katy would be prohibitively expensive (esp. given the 3d printing costs), so I thought it might be more economical to modify what I have.

Actually, has anyone built a case out of Legos? That might be an interesting option!

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 03:17:47 »
Or you could completely switch to Dactyl or Katy.
This may be interesting too when it is finished: https://deskthority.net/post325368.html#p325368