Author Topic: Overwatch Discussion Thread  (Read 144870 times)

Offline brighenne

Re: Overwatch Discussion Thread
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 11:19:14 »

There is another very important factor that a lot of people don't seem to know about, and that is win/lose streaks.
A friend and I gained 10 ranks in two days because after we got on a ~5 game win streak we started gaining exactly one rank's worth of progress after each subsequent win. When we inevitably lost we only lost about 1/5th of a rank. Likewise if you're on a losing streak you lose one rank per game. I'm very glad they did this because it means ranks will be able to readjust more efficiently.

I was on the other end of this, I was rank 54 and ended up plummeting on a losing streak down to 42 I think. I basically stopped playing because of how frustrating it is to climb out with the number of leavers at that rank.

Also league is worse than you describe it, a lot of players even consider players in the top 2% trash.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #451 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 16:01:28 »
It is super frustrating getting placed in the low 40s due to leavers and people unwilling to team up and communicate. Might be a silly question, but I assume there will be new placement matches for next season. Anyone heard?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #452 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 17:19:56 »
Also league is worse than you describe it, a lot of players even consider players in the top 2% trash.
I saw this comment on reddit when they announced the rank rewards:
I kinda expected the top reward to be like for people of at least 70+ ranks. In my opinion, 65 is really relatively easy to get. Kinda goes against the entire gist of the golden weapons when everyone who actually takes the game even half-seriously has them.
SR65 is top 6% and SR70 is top 2%. I really don't understand how some people consider becoming the best out of any 20 given players an easy task?? They must not know many normal players who haven't been playing competitive games all their lives.

Might be a silly question, but I assume there will be new placement matches for next season. Anyone heard?
From my understanding there will be new placement matches.
Season 1 ends on Wednesday and season 2 starts on September 6th btw.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 19:14:23 »
from /r/overwatch:

Canadian genji strikes again!: https://gfycat.com/CostlyUncomfortableBooby

The devs implied Zenyatta is going to be slightly nerfed soon.  I can understand why based on playing him recently, discord orb is just ridiculously overpowered at the moment, you can drop a tank in mere seconds with it applied.  I'd love to see them help Mercy out to make her a little more viable again.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #454 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 00:14:35 »
I'd love to see them help Mercy out to make her a little more viable again.
Yes PLEASE. It's hellish playing Mercy, especially in pugs for me. I gets no backup.

Offline zisb

• Aluminium, learn to spell it.
    • zisb.io
« Reply #455 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 22:50:54 »
Yes PLEASE. It's hellish playing Mercy, especially in pugs for me. I gets no backup.
You just gotta learn to battle mercy, then when your team starts complaining THEN you start healing  ;D

Offline SRTroN

« Reply #456 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 02:03:21 »
I only ever play Zenyatta for healing now. His ult shuts down so many other ults it's funny. Reaper ult? Nope. Zarya ult? Nope. Justice raining from above? Not on my watch.

Also something about his primary fire just feels so satisfying.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #457 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 06:06:34 »
You just gotta learn to battle mercy, then when your team starts complaining THEN you start healing  ;D
I've actually been doing that a little bit. When I'm alone or if they've abandoned me I try my damndest to take someone with me! lol

Offline lildragonbuns

• Formerly ilovekeycaps
« Reply #458 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 02:43:57 »
I only ever play Zenyatta for healing now. His ult shuts down so many other ults it's funny. Reaper ult? Nope. Zarya ult? Nope. Justice raining from above? Not on my watch.

Also something about his primary fire just feels so satisfying.

I find aiming with him the most challenging for me lol. I just hold down click and hope for the best  :thumb:

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #459 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:37:10 »
Seems like good changes.
TL;DW from /r/Overwatch
  • Rank System Changed to 1-5000, Split up between Bronze-Silver-Gold and upwards, sort of like Starcraft.
  • Full list of Rank categories as stated by many in this thread: Bronze<Silver<Gold<Platinum<Diamond<Master<Grand Master
  • Sudden Death gone, Time bank added to Hybrid and Payload maps.
  • Time bank slightly changed to make for more chances of a comeback/fair for a team that is winning hard.
  • Tightening Group Average Levels to 500 (out of 5000) in Competetive PTR
  • After Diamond and up, you will lose 50 Ranks per day if you havent played for an entire week. This effect stops when you reach the bottom of Diamond however.
  • Competetive Points multiplied by 10, You will be rewarded 5 Points for a tie. (Golden gun costs upped by the same amount.)
    More strict rules for Top 500.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..

Offline lildragonbuns

• Formerly ilovekeycaps
« Reply #460 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 18:21:07 »
Seems like good changes.
TL;DW from /r/Overwatch
  • Rank System Changed to 1-5000, Split up between Bronze-Silver-Gold and upwards, sort of like Starcraft.
  • Full list of Rank categories as stated by many in this thread: Bronze<Silver<Gold<Platinum<Diamond<Master<Grand Master
  • Sudden Death gone, Time bank added to Hybrid and Payload maps.
  • Time bank slightly changed to make for more chances of a comeback/fair for a team that is winning hard.
  • Tightening Group Average Levels to 500 (out of 5000) in Competetive PTR
  • After Diamond and up, you will lose 50 Ranks per day if you havent played for an entire week. This effect stops when you reach the bottom of Diamond however.
  • Competetive Points multiplied by 10, You will be rewarded 5 Points for a tie. (Golden gun costs upped by the same amount.)
    More strict rules for Top 500.

Oh yay, I'm glad changed the ranking system along with the removal of sudden death. I might actually start playing ranked games now

Offline brighenne

« Reply #461 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 18:46:55 »
Hopefully there's a big ranking normalization between seasons. I'll be back in with all the changes if so.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #462 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 19:15:32 »
i like those changes a lot. especially:

Tightening Group Average Levels to 500 (out of 5000) in Competetive PTR

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #463 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 19:36:14 »
i like those changes a lot. especially:

Tightening Group Average Levels to 500 (out of 5000) in Competetive PTR

As long as I can still q with you

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
« Reply #464 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 01:38:12 »
Hopefully there's a big ranking normalization between seasons. I'll be back in with all the changes if so.
All ranks are reset between seasons.

Edit:
NEW MAP!
It has a bunch of dead Bastions all over it so I approve
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:15:17 by Lord of Narwhals »

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 21:40:47 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2016, 22:44:39 by Moistgun »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #466 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 15:30:45 »
Blizzard released a new animated short today, I think it's the best one they've released so far.   I just realized that Bastion's beeping is to imitate his bird friend, Ganymede. What do you guys think?

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #467 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 15:39:35 »
I thought the short was fantastic. The flashback to the war was crazy. I now want the overgrown skin more than ever.
Biking is fun.

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 17:27:04 »
They also showed a new Reinhardt skin which looks awesome!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #469 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 03:54:08 »
They also showed a new Reinhardt skin which looks awesome!
Show Image

That looks pretty badass.

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #470 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 08:23:43 »
Not looking forward to the Hanzo buffs. Mercy buffs will be nice...I think they should add to her pistol. Maybe make her ult charge faster with connecting pistol shots. Have a Mercy that heals but charges her ult slower or Battle Mercy who utilizes her pistol to charge ult faster.
I liek keyboards

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #471 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 06:00:44 »
I haven't played in like a week. Really need to try some new characters to get me going again.

Reinhardt skin is pretty over-the-top. Belongs on a Paladin in WoW maybe.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #472 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 06:10:15 »
played again for first time in like 2 months, still really good on widow and mcree and reaper, dva is op now i had no problems playing her before her buff now she's stupid

had fun but game's still meh
I love Elzy

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #473 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 07:10:32 »
played again for first time in like 2 months, still really good on widow and mcree and reaper, dva is op now i had no problems playing her before her buff now she's stupid

dude you missed out on the season 1 of competitive

the quality of games go up a lot

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #474 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 07:46:44 »

d.va is a lot fun now, I see her being used so much more now.  There's nothing more fulfilling than nullifying a Pharah or Zarya ult with the much improved defense matrix.

Also, her new emotes are so good

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #475 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 22:49:56 »

d.va is a lot fun now, I see her being used so much more now.  There's nothing more fulfilling than nullifying a Pharah or Zarya ult with the much improved defense matrix.

Also, her new emotes are so good

I feel so defeated when I get too excited and launch my Zarya ult only for it to disappear with a D.Va ult. The changes definitely make her feel better to play to me though.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #476 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 02:03:39 »
You see this ****?

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748794686

12 hours till sombra is announced or something.
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #477 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 15:30:07 »
I bought into the hype and got myself disappointed. Hope to hear something soon though. The ARG has been fun for this whole process though.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #478 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 19:39:33 »
They really need to just let it die out. I'm not even convinced that Sombra is a character at this point.

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #479 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:05:14 »
I'm wondering if they're actually waiting until BlizzCon to reveal her or release her but that seems so far off that it would just upset the community.

I've also thought it'd be funny if they sort of teased her and we wanted Sombra so bad that they had to suddenly kick her design phase into high gear faster than they anticipated.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #480 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:08:55 »
I'm wondering if they're actually waiting until BlizzCon to reveal her or release her but that seems so far off that it would just upset the community.

I've also thought it'd be funny if they sort of teased her and we wanted Sombra so bad that they had to suddenly kick her design phase into high gear faster than they anticipated.
I really hope it's before then, it's intriguing that skycoder's upload will reach "23%" on Sept 6th, the first day of season two competitive. The ARG was fun at first, but now I wish they would just release her already.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #481 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:23:27 »
Why didn't they do anything remotely close to this for the release of Ana though?

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #482 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 22:00:18 »
Good question. Maybe they didn't consider an ARG for the game? Or maybe it was suggested by some people quietly? I just hope the length that they've extended this one doesn't ruin any future chances for something fun like this to occur.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #483 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 07:35:38 »
/r/Overwatch hurts my head to read anymore, but I think people are pretty over it in general at this point. I just want S2 to start because Quick Play without a 6-man static is actual cancer.

Getting queued with people who defend constantly getting steamrolled with "haha u succ I had 2 golds wat u got?" makes me just not want to play until Comp is back.  :mad:

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #484 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:30:46 »
Why didn't they do anything remotely close to this for the release of Ana though?
Take this with a grain of salt, but I remember Jeff Kaplan being quoted recently saying that Ana came together extremely quickly, and with clues about Sombra's existence being in the game even at launch(Reaper's voice line, her classified tab folder on Dorado, and her name appearing on various terminals on Watchpoint) I can't help but think she's just maybe taken more time to develop or has more of a backstory.  Hell, there's one really interesting theory that going off of Skycoder's very slow ".0038%" upload tick that Sombra might actually be Soldier 76's daughter as 38 is half of 76.  Food for thought.

/r/Overwatch hurts my head to read anymore, but I think people are pretty over it in general at this point. I just want S2 to start because Quick Play without a 6-man static is actual cancer.

Getting queued with people who defend constantly getting steamrolled with "haha u succ I had 2 golds wat u got?" makes me just not want to play until Comp is back.  :mad:
I love going to /r/Overwatch for the funny highlights and fan art, I'm  just amazed by how quickly some people there can solve these ciphers sent out by Blizzard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:40:54 by Flyersfan1 »

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #485 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:36:29 »
Take this with a grain of salt, but I remember Jeff Kaplan being quoted recently saying that Ana came together extremely quickly, and with clues about Sombra's existence being in the game even at launch(Reaper's voice line, her classified tab folder on Dorado, and her name appearing on various terminals on Watchpoint) I can't help but think she's just maybe taken more time to develop or has more of a backstory.  Hell, there's one really interesting theory that going off of Skycoder's very slow ".0038%" upload tick that Sombra might actually be Soldier 76's daughter as 38 is half of 76.  Food for thought.
For sure, I'm just extremely skeptical at this point because of how long it's being dragged out. Stoked to see what comes of it, regardless.

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #486 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 21:28:32 »
Season Two patch dropped early today. Heads up for anyone waiting.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #487 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 22:00:31 »
I hope every character eventually gets skins as intricate as the new ones for Reinhardt. Lookin' at you, Zarya.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #488 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 04:24:25 »
Done my placements and got places plat 2980 player one game and went upto diamond, now I'm not sure if I'm secretly good or I'm bad but everyone else is worse .-. Did not expect to be ranked so high whew
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 10:55:13 »
My placements went terribly. Nearly every game had someone in it that would say something along the lines of "gg, this comp sucks" and swap to something that doesn't help while building our team and refusing to help out the team. Placed 2400ish and first game out of that had the same issue, lol. Should have just stopped for the night. The climb up has begun already but its frustrating when 5/6 people are willing to be team players but one person just wants to be a ****.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #490 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 12:41:16 »
If you guys have any desire to put together a static group, I'm in. S2 comp already feels like CSGO matchmaking all over again. I main Ana and Tracer.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #491 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 13:07:39 »
I got placed 2280 or something but im at about 2465 since last night. Had a few bad matches, there are so many salty people its stupid. Like 4 matches this season where my team was winning hard one of the enemy team members left. Not to mention one of my matches where someone who friended me randomly invited me to a group and the only other person in the group went mei and purposely put walls in front of me walking from spawn and everything as their only healer I might be down for some grouping up, I mainly play Zenyatta, Lucio, Junkrat and Reaper.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #492 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 16:34:19 »
Soldier, Zenyatta, Ana, Zarya for me. I'm down to play if some people want to.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 05:23:47 »
Got platinum after placement matches, 4/6 but no leavers so I guess that is on me. Super happy with how the real matches turned out, no leavers and managed to get to diamond after 20 games!

Super happy with my rank as Mercy as well, still around rank #100 <3
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline Beanhead

« Reply #494 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 08:34:52 »
I play comp with WarCommand. Mostly Soldier, but I can play Genji, Roadhog, Lucio, Zen, and I'm learning Reaper.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #495 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 08:37:18 »
Let's get this group going already  ^-^

Offline brighenne

« Reply #496 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 20:22:09 »
I play comp with WarCommand. Mostly Soldier, but I can play Genji, Roadhog, Lucio, Zen, and I'm learning Reaper.

You're the second person I've seen here with an integrity avatar :thumb:

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #497 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 20:40:01 »
I still haven't gone through my placement matches due to mmr PTSD from Dota 2.  I might have to get them done though.

I'd be down for some Quick Play here and there when I'm free, the +20% group XP is always nice.  I usually play S76, Phara, Junk, Torb, Lucio, Mercy or Rein if I have to.

noobas4urus #1618
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #498 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 21:36:41 »
herM#11713 for me.

Offline Beanhead

« Reply #499 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 07:51:14 »

You're the second person I've seen here with an integrity avatar :thumb:

Humanity is the devil  :cool: