Author Topic: Numpad 60% layout (fits poker case)  (Read 3868 times)

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
Numpad 60% layout (fits poker case)
« on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 15:32:05 »
I saw this post on r/mk, and I liked the idea for kind of a novelty board.
I didn't quite like that layout, so I tweaked it a bit and ended up with this-

I'm not very familiar with PCB design and making custom firmwares, so unless a kinda fella would want to help with that, this GB would be just for the plate (sold at cost+shipping).

For a clear acrylic plate, the price would be $24 each for 5-9 units. For aluminum, it would be $37 each for 5-9 units.

Please be sure to leave any criticism on the board and any tweaks you would make, along with if you would be interested in acrylic or aluminum. The plate will be both MX and Alps compatible.

Offline gjch

Re: Numpad 60% layout (fits poker case)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 16:35:45 »
I like it, but with a few tweaks I could love it.

Although harder to find key caps, doing a split spacebar would really help with a design like this. Then you could have half the spacebar as enter instead of having the enter so far away. It's a key that gets used very often, so having it more easily accessible would be handy.

And if you don't want to do a split spacebar, I would move the enter key where the Win key is, move the Win key one to the right, shift the entire top row from ; to ] one to the left, and then put the question mark between ] and \.

I would also swap Ctrl and Fn on the left, that way Ctrl is where it normally is and would haven no learning curve, and Caps would just become Fn.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 18:23:21 »
I like it, but with a few tweaks I could love it.

Although harder to find key caps, doing a split spacebar would really help with a design like this. Then you could have half the spacebar as enter instead of having the enter so far away. It's a key that gets used very often, so having it more easily accessible would be handy.

And if you don't want to do a split spacebar, I would move the enter key where the Win key is, move the Win key one to the right, shift the entire top row from ; to ] one to the left, and then put the question mark between ] and \.

I would also swap Ctrl and Fn on the left, that way Ctrl is where it normally is and would haven no learning curve, and Caps would just become Fn.

I like the idea of the split spacebar. The other changes would all be pretty much in your programming. I just put ctrl as caps because I just prefer it that way. If I get some more tweaks on it that people recommend I'll probably compile those together to make a final version. Split space will definitely be a part of that though.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 21:58:38 »
This layout would be really hard to adapt to for me.
But I'm really liking the asthetics of this for some reason.

Stoked to see a finished build =)

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 20:02:31 »
Honestly, why not shorten the Ctrl and Shift keys to 1u and make the alphas ortholinear? Then move the ;: and /? keys back to their original position to eliminate that unsightly gap in the middle.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 21:57:51 »
Honestly, why not shorten the Ctrl and Shift keys to 1u and make the alphas ortholinear? Then move the ;: and /? keys back to their original position to eliminate that unsightly gap in the middle.

I wasn't a fan of the ortholinear aesthetic for this layout.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 09:54:40 »
It's a cool idea, but I think the layout would be way more use-able if you eliminated the rightmost column and moved the rest of the numpad a bit further.

Then you'd get back enter where it used to be, and it can still easily be reached when using the numpad. Additionally, you'd open up the option of putting an arrow cluster between the alphas and the numpad if you used a 1u 0-key.
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline decker

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 11:51:37 »
Interesting; I was thinking more in these lines; but its wider

5x15.5 stag : 40% + Symbols row + 3/4 NumPad

By the way i've just switched from full to 60%, and I now realize how much I used Numpad enter and -
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2017, 11:56:21 by decker »

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 14:46:14 »
It's a cool idea, but I think the layout would be way more use-able if you eliminated the rightmost column and moved the rest of the numpad a bit further.

Then you'd get back enter where it used to be, and it can still easily be reached when using the numpad. Additionally, you'd open up the option of putting an arrow cluster between the alphas and the numpad if you used a 1u 0-key.

I like that idea, I'll give it a try

Interesting; I was thinking more in these lines; but its wider

5x15.5 stag : 40% + Symbols row + 3/4 NumPad
Show Image

By the way i've just switched from full to 60%, and I now realize how much I used Numpad enter and -

This layout is more practical, but part of the point of this was to have it in a 60% case. Although having it a little wider would make it a  more practical, I didn't want to go through the pain of designing a case for it too.

Offline decker

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 17:02:07 »

This layout is more practical, but part of the point of this was to have it in a 60% case. Although having it a little wider would make it a  more practical, I didn't want to go through the pain of designing a case for it too.
[/quote]

Is it possible to find 65% cases easily ?

Offline lolpes

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 19:42:18 »
At first I saw the empty space and I thought that there had to be a way for it to be gone in order to make the board look good, but then I though "what a lovely place to put the lock indicators". Maybe give it a try, but I think it  would give some purpose to the empty space in there :)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 23:48:29 »
I want to like this but...  That gap makes it hard.