Author Topic: [IC] ePBT 6085 - GB starts April 15th. Pricing added!  (Read 106014 times)

Offline jackrabbit

Re: [IC] ePBT 6085
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 05:40:11 »
Wow, those colors and the deskmats are excellent. Also, THIS is the real gameboy set  :thumb:
"I like my keyboards thunderous and my plates stiff." -Maledicted

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 22:00:19 »
1. Nice design—One of the very-few sets that offers legends for Sys–Rq and Break.
2. What are these keys for? Are they just for OG–accuracy?

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 10:11:22 »
1. Nice design—One of the very-few sets that offers legends for Sys–Rq and Break.

Show Image

Yes, the ‘’ and “ ” keys are there for OG accuracy as well as to provide basic ISO support in the base kit.

Additionally, I apologize for the lack of updates. I've been working on the set during my free time, but its just taking awhile for me to get everything just the way I want it in the ePBT template. The template they gave me was pretty scuffed so I've been busy fixing things like alignment with the existing legends, the size of legends, etc. I also had to create new Hiragana and Cyrillic sublegends because they were unable to provide the existing files for those.

That said, this set is obviously not going to run this year. Im hoping to get the template completed sometime this month, at which point I'll share the final design here and ask for samples to be made. I'm hoping for a late Q1 or early Q2 2021 GB - but it heavily depends on when I get the samples and if I need to make any adjustments.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 11:57:15 »

Show Image

Yes, the ‘’ and “ ” keys are there for OG accuracy as well as to provide basic ISO support in the base kit.

Additionally, I apologize for the lack of updates. I've been working on the set during my free time, but its just taking awhile for me to get everything just the way I want it in the ePBT template. The template they gave me was pretty scuffed so I've been busy fixing things like alignment with the existing legends, the size of legends, etc. I also had to create new Hiragana and Cyrillic sublegends because they were unable to provide the existing files for those.

That said, this set is obviously not going to run this year. Im hoping to get the template completed sometime this month, at which point I'll share the final design here and ask for samples to be made. I'm hoping for a late Q1 or early Q2 2021 GB - but it heavily depends on when I get the samples and if I need to make any adjustments.

Thank you for the replay. Take your time, it is understandable that most of the GB's leaders are not full-time into designing MK's stuff.

On the set design, the special modifiers—those with arrows—may be included in the base set, and the mods with standard legends moved to a subset. Having the original modifiers in the base-set would make it more authentic and faithful to its original.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 12:37:07 »
Thanks for the update. It's helpful to know a rough timeline so I know there's no point in me obessively checking the thread for at least 2-3 months!

Offline it99

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 10:55:00 »
Would you consider running a DCS version alongside this since it is originally based on an alps (or should I say THE ALPS!!! SKCM GREEN!!!) board? I think that a lot of people would be interested but it's up to you!

Offline caronte0

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 16:10:46 »
Is there any discord where i can follow this set?
Also is the EU vendor written in stone? because maybe with the brexit all people outside great britain will have to pay customs, so maybe i just order from kbd

Offline zekth

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 16:51:45 »
Is there any discord where i can follow this set?
Also is the EU vendor written in stone? because maybe with the brexit all people outside great britain will have to pay customs, so maybe i just order from kbd

Fair point. You should look for a EU proxy also.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 21:18:53 »
Hello everyone! I finally finished mocking up the set in the ePBT template (hopefully) and added an image of it to the first post. I spent a lot of time fixing issues with alignment and legend placement, probably too much time, but I finally got to a place where I was happy with the way things looked. I created new Hiragana and Cyrillic legends for this set, fixing some issues that I had with the existing legends and taking into consideration feedback provided by Konstantin and others. I've said it many times before, but this time I actually mean it: further changes are locked. Of course, if there is some major oversight, I will gladly fix things accordingly.

Furthermore, a few EU folks have expressed concerns surrounding additional fees/charges with ProtoTypist being the EU proxy. I spoke with Jae not long ago on this, and things still seem up in the air as to how finalizing the separation from the EU will impact this as negotiations are still in progress. I'm obviously hoping that things work out well, but I will continue to keep an eye on things.

That's it for updates. I sent the completed template to KBDfans and I am awaiting next steps. I am hoping to get samples made soon so I can check out the new legends in person and check them against the original Xerox keycap colors.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 22:30:21 »

Show Image

Thank you for the replay. Take your time, it is understandable that most of the GB's leaders are not full-time into designing MK's stuff.

On the set design, the special modifiers—those with arrows—may be included in the base set, and the mods with standard legends moved to a subset. Having the original modifiers in the base-set would make it more authentic and faithful to its original.

Sorry, I almost missed this. I'm keeping the OG modifiers in the novelties kit. I would definitely keep them in the base kit if this set was a replica set, but that's not really what it is. If this was a DCS Alps set I would probably go that direction. Lastly, I think a lot of people would prefer the more Cherry style icons, the 6085 ones are a little out there.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 05:57:11 »
Any plans on adding another EU vendor since the UK won't be any longer part of the EU from 1st January 2021 on?

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 21:04:29 »
Any plans on adding another EU vendor since the UK won't be any longer part of the EU from 1st January 2021 on?

Hi, I mentioned the brexit situation in an earlier post.

Furthermore, a few EU folks have expressed concerns surrounding additional fees/charges with ProtoTypist being the EU proxy. I spoke with Jae not long ago on this, and things still seem up in the air as to how finalizing the separation from the EU will impact this as negotiations are still in progress. I'm obviously hoping that things work out well, but I will continue to keep an eye on things.

I do not currently have any solid plans to add an EU vendor. However, if it's ultimately what works out best for most EU customers, I'll try to see if something can be worked out between ProtoTypist and an EU vendor.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2020, 21:58:29 by nu_types »

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 21:38:08 »
Can't wait to see this go into GB!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 21:57:06 »
Dupe

Offline hkiri

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 10:25:23 »

Hi, I mentioned the brexit situation in an earlier post.

I do not currently have any solid plans to add an EU vendor. However, if it's ultimately what works out best for most EU customers, I'll try to see if something can be worked out between ProtoTypist and an EU vendor.

Oh sorry, I totally missed that part. Thanks!

Offline Casserole

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 14:56:41 »
Love this
Nice work!!!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 15:16:12 »

Show Image

Sorry, I almost missed this. I'm keeping the OG modifiers in the novelties kit. I would definitely keep them in the base kit if this set was a replica set, but that's not really what it is. If this was a DCS Alps set I would probably go that direction. Lastly, I think a lot of people would prefer the more Cherry style icons, the 6085 ones are a little out there.

That's fair enough. I am in the minority that prefers actual OG's replica sets, but I admire the detail you put into getting the legends accurate, particularly the accents on the NordeUK set. Kudos for a good job.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 19:20:31 »

Show Image

That's fair enough. I am in the minority that prefers actual OG's replica sets, but I admire the detail you put into getting the legends accurate, particularly the accents on the NordeUK set. Kudos for a good job.

I can't take credit for those :p. Zekth actually provided those to me.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 20:01:26 »
You may consider full legends for the windowed keys:

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 20:07:05 »
Update: after taking another close look into kitting, and with additional feedback (thanks again, Konstantin), I made a few small adjustments:
  • Added 1.5u "Super" keys
  • Changed second 1u "Ctrl" to "Code"
  • Changed removed 1.25u "Menu"
  • Added 1u R4 "=" to the numpad kit
  • Added additional 3u space to spacebar kit

In other news, I have placed an order for prototypes with KBDfans! They quoted me roughly a month turn around time - I'll keep you all posted.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 20:08:19 »

Show Image

Sorry, I decided to leave them as single line to keep it consistent.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 20:11:20 »

Show Image

Sorry, I decided to leave them as single line to keep it consistent.

Alright.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 20:15:30 »
ugh, dupe post
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 December 2020, 22:38:10 by nu_types »

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 21:54:06 »
Added updated renders that are more representative of the design in the ePBT template and updated kit renders with latest changes. These should give a closer approximation of the final product.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2020, 21:56:08 by nu_types »

Offline juice_pouch

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 20:19:34 »
Absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on this

Offline JucheCatgirlTS

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 02:05:09 »
Can't wait for this one! I'm a sucker for vintage-inspired sets like this. 10/10 will buy at least the base, novelties, and spacebars.

Thank you so much for including the R1 numpad equals key! I see so many kits out there that offer a 1u plus key but neglect to add another key to occupy the empty space left behind.

Offline caronte0

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 06:26:51 »
Even with soft brexit there are customs to pay, i dont know but i suppose that Prototypist will not be willing to under value, so i please beg you to consider adding another EU vendor :)

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 20:33:52 »
Hello everyone! I have a few updates:
  • After numerous requests for an EU vendor, I'm happy to announce that mykeyboard.eu has agreed to be a vendor for this set. Proto-Typist will remain as a vendor for the UK.
  • I made a discord where I'll give more regular updates and maybe leak future projects: https://discord.gg/9Bx8US7TBR
  • I received (and approved), photos of color samples from KBDFans. Also serves as proof of separate scooped and barred homing keys.

The order has been placed for prototypes, hoping to get those within the next month or so.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 January 2021, 00:58:11 by nu_types »

Offline honoka

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 02:17:49 »
thanks for the update! looking forward to this

Offline zekth

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 02:35:42 »
Colors look nice!  :thumb:

Offline VXQN

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 04:17:13 »
Excellent news all round. I'm especially pleased to see a UK and EU vendor; mykeyboard is currently not shipping to the UK and I really want this set!

Offline Azurewrath

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 04:54:18 »
Really nice. Classic and clean. Depending on the price i'd be in for Base, Numpad and NorDeUK. :)

Offline krzank

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 05:03:47 »
Is there any hope for R4:Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё in cyrillic set?
This would make it fit nicely onto 60% ISO without banishing Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё key to FN layer.

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 06:36:21 »
From what a couple of people on Discord have said it seems like Hammer is back to communicating with people. So if this isn't set in stone for ePBT maybe try reaching out to him again? I know you said you tried in the past, just thought I'd throw this out there.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 00:48:34 »
From what a couple of people on Discord have said it seems like Hammer is back to communicating with people. So if this isn't set in stone for ePBT maybe try reaching out to him again? I know you said you tried in the past, just thought I'd throw this out there.

Sorry at this point the set is firmly ePBT.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 18:28:14 »
The Cyrillic and Hiragana sets may have their own 6.25u space–bars. Space–bars will have heavy use and it is always good to have a spare, handy.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 09:47:06 »
The Cyrillic and Hiragana sets may have their own 6.25u space–bars. Space–bars will have heavy use and it is always good to have a spare, handy.

I would, but there isn't really an added benefit other than having an extra 6.25u spacebar. Without the base you can't really fill out any boards with the alphas + some other kit alone. And the color of the alphas won't pair with any other sets, so it's not like you could buy just the alphas and expect them to match some other epbt set.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 09:52:25 »
I agree, there's really no point. It would just make the alt alphas more expensive. If you want extra spacebars then just pick up the spacebar kit and help it make MOQ.

Offline zekth

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 10:00:52 »
I agree, there's really no point. It would just make the alt alphas more expensive. If you want extra spacebars then just pick up the spacebar kit and help it make MOQ.

Well, 1$ more or something like this. But because 6085 doesn't offer a full alternate mod kit it's useless to have a spacebar in the alt alpha kit.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 13:15:21 »

I would, but there isn't really an added benefit other than having an extra 6.25u spacebar. Without the base you can't really fill out any boards with the alphas + some other kit alone. And the color of the alphas won't pair with any other sets, so it's not like you could buy just the alphas and expect them to match some other epbt set.

Right, there is no source for a matching space-bar replacement. Give your customers the chance of getting an extra space-bar along with the alternate alphas, which is a plus. When your space-bar gets shiny—and it will, eventually—you will have a spare-one.

Offline nordhelle

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 14:38:52 »
Very cool!

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 16:28:51 »
I am itching like a hound to place my order!

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 12:28:32 »
Updates:
  • GB start date: April 15
  • Prototype caps in production, should receive them after CNY. Hoping to have them in hand to post photos before the GB starts.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
Re: [IC] ePBT 6085 - GB starts April 15th
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 15:43:42 »
Nice. I'm going to throw this on my Nue 8)

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 16:10:55 »

Right, there is no source for a matching space-bar replacement. Give your customers the chance of getting an extra space-bar along with the alternate alphas, which is a plus. When your space-bar gets shiny—and it will, eventually—you will have a spare-one.

Yeah but this would only provide a replacement for the 6.25u spacebar, and only for people who bought the Hiragana or Cyrillic kits. I get where you're coming from, but, to be honest I'm not really making any other changes to the set unless there are glaring issues.

Offline juice_pouch

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 20:41:43 »
Let's go !

Offline derpturtle

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 21:32:56 »
this is so nice... make windowed keycaps great again!

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 09:03:27 »

Sorry at this point the set is firmly ePBT.

So what about DCS Alps? If that was eventually ran, I'd easily purchase 4-5 sets.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 13:08:26 »
god i love windows

Offline 1258973

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 18:35:17 »
Great looking set.
Is it possible to include the subtle yellow-ish spacebar from the original in the space bars kit?