Author Topic: Das vs Ducky  (Read 20007 times)

Offline Silentethief

Das vs Ducky
« on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 18:22:53 »
Hey guys,

So I'm in the market for a new mechanical keyboard, and I decided on two keyboards, the Ducky Shining or the Das Profeesional. I would like to know the difference between the build quality, durability, and how long the keycaps will last. Thanks in advance!

Offline Silentethief

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 18:32:41 »
How about the keycaps?

Offline REVENGE

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 18:35:26 »
Quote from: ripster;534226
Somebody grab a scale for my Ripsters Quality~Fg Theorem (RipQFT)!

But in short Duckys Sucky.
Normalize according to # of keys / area / volume / something.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Silentethief

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 18:40:41 »
Yeah I saw that post about bleeding light but I honestly won't bee looking at the back of my keys when I type. I just want to know which keyboard would be in better condition in the future. Also, how easily does the das get dirty?

Offline REVENGE

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 18:56:49 »
Quote from: ripster;534237
Need the Ducky Shining AND the Das Weight numbers first.
In general, for your model.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline CaiSter21

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:04:36 »
both of the keycaps are made out of abs, so you can expect some shine after a couple months of heavy use.
dont know much about the das, but recent ducky's have excellent build quality.

can i ask why you are narrowing it down to a das and a ducky shine?
i ask because those two keyboards are miles apart from each other.
Das keyboard uses costar stabilizers, non-backlit, and has a glossy finish (which most ppl here hate)
Ducky Shine uses cherry stabilizers (which most ppl here hate), backlit in a variety of different colors, and has multimedia keys
Ducky Shine DK 9008S Red LED |Rosewill RK-9000BR

Offline CaiSter21

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:10:08 »
pretty much...

Offline Silentethief

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:21:48 »
Well, I wanted a cherry blue backlit kb, but quality is more important than lighting to me so I would prefer a longer lasting keyboard to one with backlighting. I would just go for a filco or leopold, but unfortunately I can't seem to find a a full 104 key filco with mx blues, and leopolds are out of stock.

Offline Silentethief

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:27:41 »
They don't seem to have cherry blues in their selections.

Offline silat

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:29:13 »
Quote from: ripster;534231
Some dude is complaining about Ducky light bleed but I suspect The McRip Effect.

Get real Ripoff. The pictures proved my point and you are obviously not taking your meds:)

And you care calling me Dude? What are you 12?:)
I suspect we are close in age which would explain the crankiness..
I was drafted in 69.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Das vs Ducky
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:31:58 »
They're both great boards. People come here and get elitism over certain brands imo. The Das's glaring piano black finish turned me off from it, but it's a very solid board. The Ducky I have access to has zero light leakage through the caps. It also has a removable/replaceable USB cable with is pretty handy. My Das caps started to shine within about two weeks of very heavy use, but that isn't a big deal unless you're anus about things. Like I mentioned in another thread, I don't hate cherry stabilizers. Expect the larger keys to feel just a little "stiffer" then the smaller caps, but also more "sturdy".

Feel free to ask me any specific questions about both. I have a Das sitting beside me, and the Ducky behind me. They both have mx blues on them.
I hate everything.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Das vs Ducky
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:33:13 »
Quote from: Silentethief;534263
Well, I wanted a cherry blue backlit kb, but quality is more important than lighting to me so I would prefer a longer lasting keyboard to one with backlighting. I would just go for a filco or leopold, but unfortunately I can't seem to find a a full 104 key filco with mx blues, and leopolds are out of stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Keyboard-FKBN104MC-EFB2/dp/B004Z0XS0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330824762&sr=8-1

Bam, full filco with mx blues.
I hate everything.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Das vs Ducky
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:36:05 »
Quote from: ripster;534276
Do you have a digital scale?  Grams preferable.

Negative :\
I hate everything.

Offline silat

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 19:55:19 »
Quote from: ripster;534278
Are you ****ing 12?

No smiley face.

I asked first. And I showed my age by referencing when I was drafted. You do a good job giving it out but you cannot take it very well.
Your wiki is great though.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline CaiSter21

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 20:06:56 »
ever since i started browsing geehack 50x per day, ive noticed something....

Ducky's bring out the worst in people

Offline Blazestorm

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 20:13:00 »
Well I just received a Ducky 1008 with Red's and already owned a Das with Blue's.

I can say that the Ducky doesn't feel as heavy as the Das (Which some people attribute to quality). But I also got it at half the price as the retail Das, I paid the same price for my used Das as I did for this Ducky, so I guess for me it cost the same, but the Das was a bit more worn.

Ducky seems to have cherry stabilizers but they don't bug me as much as other people it seems. The keys on the ducky seem to wear quick, a 2-3 hour session of TF2 and I can already see the WASD wearing a bit. (Although I never looked too close before I got them, might have been worn a bit by the previous owner). I had a Das ultimate with blank keys but most of the main ones are pretty shiny from being used for 3-6 months.

The Das is nice, but I don't think I would have paid $150 for one. The casing does scratch easily and nearly impossible to keep clean.

Offline silat

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 20:16:21 »
No excuses bub. As you are the #1 insulter on this forum it is sad that you cannot take it the way you give it.
My smilies when aimed at you were intended to be sarcastic.

Offline Silentethief

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 20:18:17 »
So just to make sure, a filco is the best kb for around 150?
And how is it compared to a leopold?

Offline Silentethief

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 20:18:41 »
And thanks for all the help so far guys.

Offline Blazestorm

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 20:23:57 »
Filco's are nice but there are also a lot of Filco fans on geekhack.

I wouldn't pay twice the price for the same switches and key-caps I'm going to replace anyways.

Offline CaiSter21

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 20:39:09 »
not according to some of the ppl here...
some ppl, not gonna name who, are pretty vicious

Offline silat

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 21:22:30 »
Vicious people on this forum? No way..............

Offline Kamikaze K

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 23:04:30 »
Quote from: silat;534371
Vicious people on this forum? No way..............

On ANY forums???  NO. FREAKIN'. WAAAAY....  But if you read their post sucking down helium from a balloon, they become less *****y!

Das vs. Ducky.  Well I've always kinda group the DAS with the likes of Ducky and Leopolds.  All are very solid boards.  When I was buying my first mech, I was really seriously considering a DAS....  What eventually turned me off was the following:

1.  Eventhough I really like the sleek look of the DAS, the glossy finish is a fingerprint magnet... I'm so OCD about taking care of my equipment so adding another thing to the list (keeping it glossy and scratch free) would become the bane of my existence.
2.  For some reason DAS decided to put the USB hub in a really ****ie place on the right side of the board... so if you ever use it, chances are you're gonna be hitting whatever's plugged in with your mouse constantly. It would've been wiser on DAS's part to put the hub on the top right of the board.

Like a few people have already mentioned... the difference between the board boils down to the different stabilisers used for the bigger keys.  People harp on about how crap Ducky is blah blah blah but really their main beef is with the Cherry stabiliser used in their boards.  Like I have said previously, I do prefer the feel of Costar stabilisers... I don't mind the Cherry's at all.  I got my Ducky Shine the day it got realeased and it has been perfect from day one and it continues to be so...  Now yes it has been said that their first effort (1xxx series) had a few issues but their 9xxx series, which is now their flagship series, is rock solid.  As an owner of a duck... I have no complaints other than the fact the Shine's don't come in a TKL form.

DAS or DUCKY?  Ducky by a beak....  <----- see what I did just then??? HILARIOUS!  ........ ooo tough crowd.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 March 2012, 23:50:00 by Kamikaze K »
FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Das vs Ducky
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 23:33:10 »
Quote from: Kamikaze K;534445
On ANY forums???  NO. FREAKIN'. WAAAAY....  But if you read their post sucking down helium from a balloon, they become less *****y!

Das vs. Ducky.  Well I've always kinda group the DAS with the likes of Ducky and Leopolds.  All are very solid boards.  When I was buying my first mech, I was really seriously considering a DAS....  What eventually turned me of was the following:

1.  Eventhough I really like the sleek look of the DAS, the glossy finish is a fingerprint magnet... I'm so OCD about taking care of my equipment so adding another thing to the list (keeping it glossy and scratch free) would become the bane of my existence.
2.  For some reason DAS decided to put the USB hub in a really ****ie place on the right side of the board... so if you ever use it, chances are you're gonna be hitting whatever's plugged in with your mouse constantly. It would've been wiser on DAS's part to put the hub on the top right of the board.

Like a few people have already mentioned... the difference between the board boils down to the different stabilisers used for the bigger keys.  People harp on about how crap Ducky is blah blah blah but really their main beef is with the Cherry stabiliser used in their boards.  Like I have said previously, I do prefer the feel of Costar stabilisers... I don't mind the Cherry's at all.  I got my Ducky Shine the day it got realeased and it has been perfect from day one and it continues to be so...  Now yes it has been said that their first effort (1xxx series) had a few issues but their 9xxx series, which is now their flagship series, is rock solid.  As an owner of a duck... I have no complaints other than the fact the Shine's don't come in a TKL form.

DAS or DUCKY?  Ducky by a beak....  <----- see what I did just then??? HILARIOUS!  ........ ooo tough crowd.

This exactly. Everything this guy said ^

But @ the op, don't forget http://www.wasdkeyboards.com (no backlight, but custom keycaps!) and Filco :) They're all roughly the same price give or take 20 bucks.
I hate everything.

Offline silat

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:03:20 »
Quote from: Kamikaze K;534445

Das vs. Ducky.  Well I've always kinda group the DAS with the likes of Ducky and Leopolds.  All are very solid boards.  When I was buying my first mech, I was really seriously considering a DAS....  What eventually turned me off was the following:

Great post. Makes me almost forget the vicious guy:)

Offline Kamikaze K

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:24:50 »
Quote from: silat;534650
Great post. Makes me almost forget the vicious guy:)

There's that smiley face we know and love! :biggrin:  Hope you're not referring to me when you say that!  I'm a big fluffy puppy dog I'll have you know good sir!  PUPPY DOG I say!!!

Quote from: ripster;534668
Not me.   I like to talk about Ducky Quacks in the case.  Or Quacks in the removable USB cable connectors.   All in all Ducky not all that it's quacked up to be.

Yes we know Rip... we know.
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline silat

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 03:15:25 »
Quote from: Kamikaze K;534684
There's that smiley face we know and love! :biggrin:  Hope you're not referring to me when you say that!  I'm a big fluffy puppy dog I'll have you know good sir!  PUPPY DOG I say!!!

Yes we know Rip... we know.

Nope..
It is the Ducky Stalker I am referring too.

Offline Kamikaze K

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 07:44:42 »
Quote from: silat;534718
Nope..
It is the Ducky Stalker I am referring too.

Ahh... I seeeee. Well in that case... Carry on!
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline FinancialWar

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 09:31:21 »
Looks like I am late.

Get anything but ducky. Even potato is better for typing than ducky
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Silentethief

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 12:12:34 »
So, how is a filco compared to a leopold, because I've heard that they are basically the same.

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
Das vs Ducky
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 15:24:04 »
Quote from: Silentethief;534977
So, how is a filco compared to a leopold, because I've heard that they are basically the same.

The main difference between a Leo and a Filco are the stabilizers on the big keys [i.e. Shift/Enter/Spacebar]. The Leopold uses Cherry stabilizers, which some find unpleasant due to taking away from the feel of the switch, and I will admit I share this opinion. However, many people find them to be just fine, and it makes keycap swapping easier. The Filco uses Costar stabilizers, and they are a bit more responsive and in my opinion feel better than a Cherry stabilizer, but again, these are my opinions, and you will just have to eventually take the plunge and buy what you feel is best for you.
Filco MJ2 Ninja | IBM Model M 1391401

Offline blert

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 22:34:18 »
Quote from: silat;534272
And you care calling me Dude? What are you 12?:)

Not a big fan of The Big Lebowski, I guess?

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
Das vs Ducky
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 22:54:22 »
You might also find a Rosewill RK-9000 in Blues on Newegg.com if you don't want to spend $150 on a Filco on Amazon.com.  I have a couple.  They are good keyboards.
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline Changdrew

Das vs Ducky
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 22:55:28 »
Quote from: megnin;539816
You might also find a Rosewill RK-9000 in Blues on Newegg.com if you don't want to spend $150 on a Filco on Amazon.com.  I have a couple.  They are good keyboards.

A couple ಠ_ಠ

But Yeah, the rosewills are good alternatives.
CM Quickfire Rapid | Filco Majestouch 2 | Filco Linear R | Poker