Author Topic: "Laser" brand mechanical keyboard using unknown switch?  (Read 6975 times)

Offline JoeUser

• If you're a geek you use mechanical. Period.
"Laser" brand mechanical keyboard using unknown switch?
« on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 00:28:05 »
So I was at the local thrift shop and picked up a "Laser" mechanical keyboard. It's old...standard AT connector...but it works beautifully with the only wear being slightly shinny keys, one leg missing, and a half-circle mark on the bottom (melted in...don't know but it works). Needed a nice cleaning but it came out pretty stellar...looks damn good!

The keys are all double shot molded (beige or gray with black) and the switches are...something...They feel like Blues, sound like Blues, but aren't. Actually in the feeling the click seems a little more predominant then Blues. Been using it all day over my MX Blue KBtalKing if that tells you anything.

So yeah...does anyone have any info on this manufacturer or the switches used? Some pics below!

Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: "Laser" brand mechanical keyboard using unknown switch?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 00:54:07 »

Offline JoeUser

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 01:26:02 »
Ahhh thank you! Couldn't find any information on these. Know anything of the quality in these switches? I guess either way it goes not too shabby for the $2 I paid for the keyboard and $3 something shipped for a AT to PS/2 adapter, eh?

Still can't find anything on Laser. Made in China is about the only thing I can gather.
Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 09:56:35 »
I got this keyboard new in the '80s, still have it and it still works great.  Is there anyone who also has a Model M and can compare the feeling of the switches?

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:54:53 »
@JoeUser: Got a rear label shot so that I can use this page as a wiki reference? I didn't realise that there isn't a single Laser keyboard on the DT wiki.

@Wilkie: SMK switches work remarkably well considering the "baling wire" or "tinker toy" construction (which SMK even patented, which is just funny) — they're very highly regarded. The blue Alps-mount ones are referred to as "Montereys", which you may have heard of.

I doubt it feels anything like a Model M — they're a lot more like Alps.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline JoeUser

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 19:31:08 »

Nothing to write home about really.

Either way, it's an awesome keyboard...my KBtalKing is just sitting at the side not doing anything unfortunately. :-\

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 21:30:56 »
Wow very nice find!
I wish flee markets in my area would have old boards like this.  :D

Offline larrymoencurly

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 05:14:16 »
I have one of those Lasers.  Very nice feel, soft for mechanical switches, definitely softer than a Model M (and quieter).

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 08:10:30 »
Nothing to write home about really.

Thanks. It shows the FCC ID, which is granted to Laser, not an OEM. However, some companies did re-register an OEM product under their own FCC ID, e.g. Flytech Carry I keyboard, which is a BTC 5100 re-registered by Flytech. In the case of the Flytech, they left on BTC's exterior QC label :) There's a suggestion that this Laser keyboard was made by Chicony: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37302.0 (another topic with a vote in favour of SMK switches)

Also, we have the approximate year of introduction, of 1991, based on FCC registration. On the other hand, no model number. I would refer to it as the Laser 2269, but a lot of people refer to it as "Laser III 52226940" without any indication why — maybe that's what's written on the box.

You can never have too much information!
Bore Awards

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 15:39:25 »
Bore Awards

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 21:45:20 »
i wanted to bump this up on the thread when i saw it, but forgpt

i have the same Laser with SMK's and am quite fond of it

i kind of modded it a little, got the caps from a fellow GH'r.............decent board, cheap price

crappy picture as i can never get the shot straight or am always moving

oh yeah...............nothing like a model m
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline JoeUser

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 01:06:06 »
Nice! Luckily for me (as you can see from my pics) all my keys are fine. Even my Laser logo badge isn't discolored (no offense).

The bottom isn't perfect but the top, the part that counts, is easily a 9 out of 10. Some of the keys are shinny but even then they aren't THAT shinny...certainly nothing noticeable. Also I'm missing a leg on the bottom but the one that's there is on the letters side and it holds well (no teetering or anything).

I can tell you one thing...my KBTalKing Pure hasn't been touched in weeks. Genuinely love this keyboard. The SMK switches are awesome...like them much better than the MX Blues in my Pure.

Also using a program I was able to map the blank key on the left hand side bottom row (between the Ctrl and Alt) to the Windows key so I'm not even losing any funtionality with this 20 year old piece of kit.

Anyways, that's enough out of me!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 02:52:55 »
Nice! Luckily for me (as you can see from my pics) all my keys are fine. Even my Laser logo badge isn't discolored (no offense).

The bottom isn't perfect but the top, the part that counts, is easily a 9 out of 10. Some of the keys are shinny but even then they aren't THAT shinny...certainly nothing noticeable. Also I'm missing a leg on the bottom but the one that's there is on the letters side and it holds well (no teetering or anything).

I can tell you one thing...my KBTalKing Pure hasn't been touched in weeks. Genuinely love this keyboard. The SMK switches are awesome...like them much better than the MX Blues in my Pure.

Also using a program I was able to map the blank key on the left hand side bottom row (between the Ctrl and Alt) to the Windows key so I'm not even losing any funtionality with this 20 year old piece of kit.

There's nothing quite like using an old keyboard.  I love my NEC from circa 1990.

You can spend hundreds of dollars on a "modern" keyboard, but when it comes down to it so many people still prefer a good old Model M, Laser or NEC keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:12:28 »

There's nothing quite like using an old keyboard.  I love my NEC from circa 1990.

You can spend hundreds of dollars on a "modern" keyboard, but when it comes down to it so many people still prefer a good old Model M, Laser or NEC keyboard.

i am right there with you............. SMK's are quite nice :thumb:

loving my new wang with yellow [alps] omrons, heck i love them all! some of the older boards ping, but some of that can be resolved by putting a thin layer of insulation in the back and some one here even brought up about using duct tape- guess what? it actually works!!

am thankful i have 2 computers on my desk where i can go back from board to another
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g