Author Topic: Emerson ETKB101M  (Read 1451 times)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Emerson ETKB101M
« on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 16:50:48 »
What is this? Some kind of springs over domes or something? It's definitely linear of some sort.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Re: Emerson ETKB101M
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 17:02:14 »
It may be a spring directly over the membrane. Normally I would expect to see two springs though — a return spring and a membrane pressure spring. You need a camera with a flash, or daylight!

The FCC grantee is Orion Electric Co., Ltd. of Japan. "Orion" rings a bell — I've see that name before somewhere.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 16:12:19 »
Some more info, from bottom of plate enclosure, Part No. ESU44LN026AA, Serial No. 025503

It's got metal enclosed around the membrane, held closed by plastic clips, which is also how the case is held together. Also, in totally rough terms, actuation is actually about halfway down or so rather that just on bottom out.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 13:43:18 »
So, is this just a single spring over the membranes? i.e. the same spring handles both the return force and the membrane pressure? Since membranes only need something like 20 g of force, that would be a light or very finicky switch!
Bore Awards

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 17:12:57 »
Yeah, as far as I can see it's just the one spring. They actually sidestep that somewhat, we'll see if the pictures can show it. There's a plastic hook coming from the top/north side of the switch, and it is into that hook and that is where the spring actually sits. There is a cutout on the same side of the key, which either allows the plastic of the key to move past the hook and bottom out or the hook catches the end of the cutout and is the bottom out. I'm not sure if it's just the spring which eventually gets pushed down enough to touch the membrane or if it's just they plastic of the key itself which does, either way there's a good amount of travel left after actuation.

Also in case anyone was wondering the springs in the keys just stay in place, I didn't put them back in every time. I haven't even tried to remove them.

But yeah, it's actually a pretty good feeling switch, although I don't have much experience with linears. I take it whatever this is its pretty rare.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 17:23:08 »
What reminded me of your keyboard, was seeing the first photos of the SMK-made Apple Keyboard II:

http://www.applerescueofdenver.com/products-page/all-products-macintosh/apple-keyboard-ii-parts/

It's got Alps mount sliders, but the design is very similar. I'm hoping to either get the original photos from Tammy, or the keyboard itself (none appear to be in stock at the moment), but the SMK one also appears to have just the one spring. To have a sane actuation force (30 g or more) you need something to add force beyond that provided by the membrane pressure spring.

One way is to have two springs, one inside, one outside:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Oriental_Tech_linear

The SMK and Orion (Emerson) keyboards seem to be doing something different, as I doubt either one actuates at 20 g. It may be something I won't be able to figure out until I am in possession of an SMK Apple Keyboard II.
Bore Awards

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 17:05:13 »
Does anyone want this thing? I can't use it for anything because it's almost like it enforces its 2KRO so I cannot play any games with it at all. But it types fairly well and is certainly unique.