Author Topic: '80s Zenith Z-150 with Green ALPS linear?  (Read 11455 times)

Offline adevriesc

'80s Zenith Z-150 with Green ALPS linear?
« on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:46:27 »
I've been lurking on this forum for a while and finally decided to jump in... Ever since I started my keyboard obsession I've been looking for a board with the fabled ALPS Green linears of the 1980s. My interest was caught when I saw a photo of someone else's KB with a Zenith Data Systems badge. I wanted the KB it was on. Badly.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I found it and snagged it. I do have a few questions, though.

1) Is it actually a Z-150?
2) Is it AT, XT, or switchable?
3) How rare are these things?
4) How jealous does the Zenith Data Systems badge make you?

I'll post better photos after the board arrives. Hopefully in one piece...
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:48:13 by adevriesc »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: '80s Zenith Z-150 with Green ALPS linear?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 18:51:30 »
1) Yup, that definitely appears to be a Z-150.
2) Should be AT. To confirm, should be a SysRq button in the top right corner.
3) Pretty rare. Not all of them have Green Alps, it would appear, either.
4) Very. Zenith has one of the best logos for keyboards, and the black badge is better-looking than the contemporary beige one.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:29:18 »
As cool and retro as it is in the wild, I would still harvest the switches and put them in a keyboard that I actually enjoyed using.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 07:03:17 »
Noooo! Heresy! Surely it would be a crime to disassemble such a beaut of a board, especially if it's fully working!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 09:15:22 »
Noooo! Heresy! Surely it would be a crime to disassemble such a beaut of a board, especially if it's fully working!

I understand the feeling, and if I was a "collector" in the abstract I might do it, but I want keyboards to actually use.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 15:30:47 »

I understand the feeling, and if I was a "collector" in the abstract I might do it, but I want keyboards to actually use.
Why not both?!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 16:03:52 »
There are plenty of things to collect, but I have many more keyboards than I can reasonably use in my lifetime.

That is why I am selling one of my two SSKs, the embedded numpad thing is just too annoying and I don't want to see it gathering dust.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 17:54:49 »
These Zenith keyboards are great, though I believe this one is XT, so might be a bit tricky to get working with a modern machine (you can get a little external microcontroller with Soarer’s converter firmware installed on it).

Do be warned that 30-year-old Alps keyboards can be a bit hit-or-miss w/r/t switch quality. Sometimes a few decades on a garage shelf somewhere can get the switches filled with dust/dirt, but good condition green Alps switches are really nice. Hope this is one of the lucky ones.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 18:45:47 »
These Zenith keyboards are great, though I believe this one is XT
You're right! I couldn't see whether the top right key reads "Sys Req" or "Scroll Lock" but I just realised that on the AT model, the key to the LEFT of Num Lock has a lock light in it, and this one doesn't.

In fact, all Z-150 images I can find have a black badge on the XT model, and a beige one on the AT one. Both of them could still come with green as well as yellow Alps, though.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 18:06:25 »
Btw, here is, I'm pretty sure, another one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Heath-Computer-Systems-Clicky-Keyboard-AT-Style-/141691662155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fd7b2f4b

It's been up forever, I'd have bought it long ago if it weren't way too expensive for me. This should be the XT model, too. Note; the XT model could also come with Yellow Alps, and this doesn't have the kickass Zenith badge.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 19:13:30 »
That’s actually a pretty good price for these, though it’s a bit dirty and who knows what the switch condition is like. The white balance on the photo is terrible. Pretty sure those are PBT keycaps, which don’t yellow at all; in person the case is probably much less yellow than it appears in that picture. Almost certainly green Alps, but no promises.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 03:16:29 »
That’s actually a pretty good price for these
I know, but it's still way too rich for my blood xD .

Pretty sure those are PBT keycaps, which don’t yellow at all; in person the case is probably much less yellow than it appears in that picture.
I'm not so sure; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvbpOPuTFEY shows a Z-150 right next to an AT Model F and both the case and the key caps appear much yellower than on the IBM.

Almost certainly green Alps, but no promises.
Either that or yellows, here's one with the latter (bizarrely, they still used greens for the lock lights);

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 06:18:35 »
Pretty sure those are PBT keycaps, which don’t yellow at all; in person the case is probably much less yellow than it appears in that picture.
I'm not so sure; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvbpOPuTFEY shows a Z-150 right next to an AT Model F and both the case and the key caps appear much yellower than on the IBM.
The one in the video is quite obviously doubleshot ABS keycaps, same as the board in your picture.

Either that or yellows, here's one with the latter (bizarrely, they still used greens for the lock lights);
That one has doubleshot ABS keycaps, and I’m guessing has a white rather than black background label? Also, did you say it was AT?

Anyway, you’re right there were a variety of these made. It’s possible that there were still some XT boards being made with the “heath” label by the time they’d switched to yellow Alps switches. As I said, I wouldn’t make any promises. If I had to bet, I’d put 20:1 odds on green Alps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2015, 06:23:52 by jacobolus »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 10:32:22 »
The exposed one in that picture is an XT one (two lock lights, black label). The Heath one is the same. The one in the video is AT (beige label, 3 lock lights).

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:02:19 »
In the long, dark silence... I figured out that the board's microcontroller was kaput. So, like any self respecting KB enthusiast, I set to work. This is the end result.

http://imgur.com/a/6oplh

Oh, and it did have Green ALPS. They're in decent shape -- but they've been sidelined in favor of my new Blue ALPS board (which I bought for a whopping $0.25).
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:04:56 by adevriesc »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:23:08 »
greens, huh..?
how about the caps, are they double-shot ABS, or PBT dye-subs?
i noticed your plate has 5 screws, which makes me think it's the 1886-2 with ABS keycaps..
but maybe i'm wrong about that, because i also thought that the zenith keyboards with 5 screws in the bottom always had yellow alps...

nice work though, man! that case totally rocks.
and i think you got quite lucky with the state its in, because surely that spacebar is ABS, but has no yellowing at all. i presume the two LED-caps are also ABS, but look un-yellowed also.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:33:37 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:40:40 »
Great looking board! How do you like the Alps Green? The only Alps-style switches I've tried are Matias (click and quiet-click, liked the quiet-click more) but am very interested in the linear Alps. Thanks for the info!

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:07:53 »
x2 shot ABS. I did get lucky with the keycap condition. :D

The greens are amazing. Get them if you can... Frankly, I bought it more for the badge than the keyswitches. Those were just a bonus.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:27:06 »

I think the black suits it really well. How did you get it dyed so evenly? I also have no idea what the hell you did with that controller thing but it looks impressive.

Awesome job man, I'm really jealous! I've been looking for a Zenith for a long time now :D .

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:58:45 »
A lot of people buy gloss spraypaint and only do a single coat/single side. I sanded it lightly, hung it by inserting a bent up wire hanger into a screw hole, and painted it "booth style" with many coats of FLAT BLACK.

Having flat paint makes all the difference in color and durability.

That's a hand wired matrix running Soarer's Controller Firmware on a Teensy++ 2.0 -- it took soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long to solder.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 01:32:57 »
I bought a Z-150 AT in amazing condition recently. pics here of disassembly: http://imgur.com/a/knmbf Green ALPS, very thick PBT keycaps.

I really lucked out. The body is in amazing condition, no rust, no dust or anything in the switches. They feel factory new and amazingly smooth. Matias is ruined now for me :P

Even if it is AT its tricky to convert to USB using active adapters. I needed a USB adapter b/c on PS2 it doesnt play well with Linux at all. Works perfect on Windows though for some reason (ancient driver?) Blue cube did nothing, the Adesso did work but F7 doesn't work nor do the lock lights. (F7 confirmed working on PS2 Win10) Tricky bugger.

I wrote a deskthority wiki page trying to clear up confusion about model names and switch types. Found here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Zenith_Data_Systems_84_Key_Keyboard

Now i'm wondering if I should swap the switches into my V60. But the board in such great shape and in the ideal config of keycaps and switches  :-\

Also get rekt Model M coiled cable, you are no match for the Zenith's. Its huge!
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 01:37:20 by Mattr567 »
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:13:46 »
Cool, thanks for contributing :) . It's a shame the ones on eBay are all really expensive xD .

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:56:37 »
Cool, thanks for contributing :) . It's a shame the ones on eBay are all really expensive xD .

I paid $60 for mine. Pretty good verses others I have seen on eBay. Still can't believe you got that SKCM Blue Acer for so cheap. I see SKCM blue boards go for $250+

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 14:18:39 »
I see SKCM blue boards go for $250+

That's WAY too much. I would pay $100 for a vintage Alps with SKCM blue switches, but that's it. Don't do like I did with my IBM stuff, and pay top dollar just because the market has little supply. If you wait, prices will come down. Just look at all the F-122's available now. When I paid top dollar for a junk F-122 from taobao, there were none to be had anywhere.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:41:35 »
I paid $60 for mine. Pretty good verses others I have seen on eBay.
Yeah, that's why they are still for sale xD . I'd love to own one, but really not for the extortionate prices I see them for on eBay.

Still can't believe you got that SKCM Blue Acer for so cheap. I see SKCM blue boards go for $250+
Heheheheh, easily my best catch, that :D . In a way I didn't actually pay a single penny for that one xD .

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:35:45 »

That's WAY too much. I would pay $100 for a vintage Alps with SKCM blue switches, but that's it. Don't do like I did with my IBM stuff, and pay top dollar just because the market has little supply. If you wait, prices will come down. Just look at all the F-122's available now. When I paid top dollar for a junk F-122 from taobao, there were none to be had anywhere.

Are blue alps really that good? I've never tried. I'm still going to be a buckling spring, thorpe, and hall effect elitist :p

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:36:47 »

And thats exactly why I dont own one.

SKCM Blue will be mine once the price becomes logical.

I paid $60 for mine. Pretty good verses others I have seen on eBay.
Yeah, that's why they are still for sale xD . I'd love to own one, but really not for the extortionate prices I see them for on eBay.

Still can't believe you got that SKCM Blue Acer for so cheap. I see SKCM blue boards go for $250+
Heheheheh, easily my best catch, that :D . In a way I didn't actually pay a single penny for that one xD .

If you look around long enough like I did you will find a deal. It just takes a while like what jdcarpe said.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:43:24 by Mattr567 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:48:31 »

Are blue alps really that good? I've never tried. I'm still going to be a buckling spring, thorpe, and hall effect elitist :p
Blue Alps are on par with capacitive buckling springs for me, and I consider both to be considerably superior to the Model M.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 21:00:09 »
If you look around long enough like I did you will find a deal. It just takes a while like what jdcarpe said.

Prices on most of these things roller-coaster.

Waiting 3 months will get you a better price. Searching for 3 years will get you a great price. Just be ready to pounce on it the instant you see it.

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 21:22:01 »
I bought my like-new DC-3014 with Blue ALPS for... You're going to hate me... $0.25.

A quarter. Bwahahahahaha.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:03:17 »
I bought my like-new DC-3014 with Blue ALPS for... You're going to hate me... $0.25.

Damn, my blue ALPS keyboard was $15.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline E3E

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:58:46 »

Damn, my blue ALPS keyboard was $15.

• Screw both of you. I paid far more. :P
  • Oh hi, Mark.
  • I need to hit up some e-cyclers.

Also get rekt Model M coiled cable, you are no match for the Zenith's. Its huge!

I see that rekkage and raise you the Dell AT101 and Fame TH-5539.

My Infinity, with the shortest coil ever, is judge.

I think it's hard to compete with the OG Dell AT101, but I might be wrong. :P

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:25:06 by E3E »

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:47:39 »
I'm not surprised about the pricing.

In terms of actual aesthetics, layout, and switches I'm very fond of the DC-3014. Your Fame KB is essentially a Chicony KB-5161; the Big Ass Enter isn't a usability problem, but it isn't pretty. (I assume you have ALPS Blues and not Tai Haos?)

Salmon ALPS AT101Ws (that is what you have?) are pretty rare, but I don't think they hold a candle to the DC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, you have a nice collection. In terms of total rarity you might even have me beat, as my third board is just an IBM 5150 XT.

Offline E3E

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:22:32 »
I'm not surprised about the pricing.

In terms of actual aesthetics, layout, and switches I'm very fond of the DC-3014. Your Fame KB is essentially a Chicony KB-5161; the Big Ass Enter isn't a usability problem, but it isn't pretty. (I assume you have ALPS Blues and not Tai Haos?)

Salmon ALPS AT101Ws (that is what you have?) are pretty rare, but I don't think they hold a candle to the DC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, you have a nice collection. In terms of total rarity you might even have me beat, as my third board is just an IBM 5150 XT.

Haha, I wasn't trying to incite a pissing contest based on rarity here. Just teasing because of the comment leveled at the Model M and Zenith's cable lengths. The Dell AT101 has a gargantuan cable.

Oh yeah, I've done a lot of research on practically every board I own. I don't go in obliviously, hehe. The Fame TH-5539 is actually larger and thicker than the Chicony 5161, though it has very very striking similarities to it (I added the bits to the wiki article xP). It also has a metal bottom panel like the Zenith and Omnikey and unlike the Chicony. Here's an album! http://imgur.com/a/koUlt The pencil holder ridge, as I like to call it, also has a slightly different bevel to it between the 5161 and the Fame. :3 It also uses brass inserts for screw mounting into the bevel whereas the Chicony uses none and has screws dig directly into the plastic. So it's higher quality, I guess.

I would say that it is probably one of the rarest boards I have seen. I always see the smaller ones with the Tai Hao or APC clones. I have yet to see another one with the big foot style and true blue alps, so please let me know if you find one! I noted someone with a post from around 2011 or so saying that they had found a Fame with blue alps on ebay.de, but all of the picture links were dead. Like you, I'm somewhat skeptical because of how similar the Tai Hao Aruz looks to Blue Alps at a glance.

That a an AT101, not W, but the original with the GYI3PVAT101 FCC ID. It has a DIN connector on it, which is pretty seldom seen on these. When I start restoring it, I'll take a peek at the MFG date on the inside of the case since I'm super curious about it.

Thank you for the compliments. A DC-3014 is quite nice! I'm not a fan of Leading Edge's case designs, but they are very sturdy, well-built, and the PCBs are really nice.

Rarity is a hard thing to determine when it comes to these old guys. I mean, it's kind of a relative thing. Sometimes you see a board rarely pop up. Sometimes a bunch all come up. I've seen around three or so DC-3014s come through eBay lately, whereas only a few original AT101s have come through lately. Tons of the Ws and black alps 101s. Also noticed a couple Acer KB101As pop up too, so I guess it's a YMMV sort of thing, really.

The Zenith is not such a rare board from what I've been seeing, but it is nice, and I have a fondness for metal back panels on keyboards.

Hehe, but yeah. :P
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:30:54 by E3E »

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 22:09:47 »
You mistake my analysis for a pissing contest. :P Even if it was, I said you won. -laughs- That makes me terrible at pissing contests.

I didn't realize you were going for cable length comparison. (Why, if I may ask, does the shortest male-connector cable get to judge? Food for thought.)

What do you usually look for aesthetics wise? Lots of rounded corners/edges? The "roundness" of the Fame seems to be the major differentiating factor.

Offline E3E

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 22:47:50 »
You mistake my analysis for a pissing contest. :P Even if it was, I said you won. -laughs- That makes me terrible at pissing contests.

I didn't realize you were going for cable length comparison. (Why, if I may ask, does the shortest male-connector cable get to judge? Food for thought.)

What do you usually look for aesthetics wise? Lots of rounded corners/edges? The "roundness" of the Fame seems to be the major differentiating factor.

You're tearing me apart, adevriesc! xD No worries. It's hard to really understand a person's tone through text unless you know them well enough, so I mistook your post as much as you misunderstood mine.

The Infinity is just scared that the AT101 is gonna realize its caps are gone and that the Infinity stole them, so it's trying to stay as far away as possible! Ya know that thing about coils getting shorter when they're scared?

It's kind of ironic, I'll admit. I used to dislike the big foot style of keyboards that the Chicony and AT101 and Fame all have, but it ended up being one of my favorite styles for old vintage keyboards. It kind of gives me a feeling of being vintage but sleek at the same time. Like in the 80s, that was sleek. (Okay, so the AT101 was kind of early 90s, but still).

I think my next favorite form-factor is the wedge shape, which the Acer has, but with a some nice rounded edges too. The Zenith ZKB-2 is another example of that.

My least favorite are probably the XT-style boards like the Zenith Z-150 and the DC-2014 (had one of these, but desoldered her and traded those switches for some really immaculate green alps :-X).

The only aspects of the DC-3014 that turn me off are the weird feet and the "pencil holder ridge" it has (I think the DC-2014 had the same exact features, albeit in that XT layout). The look from the side is nice, and if it didn't have that ridge and depression, I think I'd like it more. But all that aesthetic stuff is kind of silly compared to the features you get with the board.

One board I just can't get into is the Northgate Omnikey. So many of them pop up. I know they're lauded in the Alps world, but I guess I'm more attracted to boards that are a little different (says the guy with the AT101), which might be a little dumb. :P Beyond that, I just don't like the design aesthetically very much.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 22:54:27 by E3E »

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:19:20 »
I bought a Z-150 AT in amazing condition recently. pics here of disassembly: http://imgur.com/a/knmbf Green ALPS, very thick PBT keycaps.

I really lucked out. The body is in amazing condition, no rust, no dust or anything in the switches. They feel factory new and amazingly smooth. Matias is ruined now for me :P

Even if it is AT its tricky to convert to USB using active adapters. I needed a USB adapter b/c on PS2 it doesnt play well with Linux at all. Works perfect on Windows though for some reason (ancient driver?) Blue cube did nothing, the Adesso did work but F7 doesn't work nor do the lock lights. (F7 confirmed working on PS2 Win10) Tricky bugger.

I wrote a deskthority wiki page trying to clear up confusion about model names and switch types. Found here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Zenith_Data_Systems_84_Key_Keyboard

Now i'm wondering if I should swap the switches into my V60. But the board in such great shape and in the ideal config of keycaps and switches  :-\

I've got a ZKB-2R that has a clicker built in that works fine with a Soarer's Converter, but the trick is that I had to force code set2ext.  Has yellow alps, but I honestly can't tell the difference between the yellows and the greens, though I only have one of each, so maybe those are just similar.

Here's a video demoing the clicker and key rollover (seems to have about 15-20 key rollover). Clicker turns on and off with Alt - ~ as shown.  Sorry for the poor lighting!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2ofamzr5nxn8na/IMG_1266.MOV?dl=0

Offline E3E

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:51:52 »

I've got a ZKB-2R that has a clicker built in that works fine with a Soarer's Converter, but the trick is that I had to force code set2ext.  Has yellow alps, but I honestly can't tell the difference between the yellows and the greens, though I only have one of each, so maybe those are just similar.

Here's a video demoing the clicker and key rollover (seems to have about 15-20 key rollover). Clicker turns on and off with Alt - ~ as shown.  Sorry for the poor lighting!

I find yellows to be pleasant, but they are a bit heavier than greens and have short switch plate, so that is gives a bit of a subtle difference between the two, kind of like between orange and salmon alps. They feel so similar to me though, that it's a little negligible. If your yellows are in good condition, they sound like a fine switch to type on! The ones in my Z-150 are a bit gritty. I plan on going about cleaning that board and its switches and selling it after a while.

The practical NKRO of the Zenith and Leading Edge boards is one of the coolest aspects about them.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 01:05:54 »

My Z-150 also had the excellent key rollover, but you cant turn off the clicker :(

It is hard to adapt to the Z-150's layout, its like every key is one off. idk but I dont have this problem on any other boards. Advantage to the ZKB2.

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 02:07:02 »
Omnikeys are just plain well built and feature rich. I just sold one with a few defective keys. Smoothest White ALPS I've ever felt. Looks wise it did nothing for me, so I'm with you there.

Offline E3E

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 02:20:53 »
Omnikeys are just plain well built and feature rich. I just sold one with a few defective keys. Smoothest White ALPS I've ever felt. Looks wise it did nothing for me, so I'm with you there.

Yep, I entirely agree. They're great boards, just not up my alley.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 07:49:15 »
My Z-150 also had the excellent key rollover, but you cant turn off the clicker :(

It is hard to adapt to the Z-150's layout, its like every key is one off. idk but I dont have this problem on any other boards. Advantage to the ZKB2.

it's Alt + Esc for the Z-150! (at least, that's the combination on my 1886 - the beeper goes on and off perfectly fine!)
the layout was easy for me, since i was already used to the IBM Model F XT. they're pretty similar in layout.
i have a bunch of boards with totally different layouts, so it's become pretty easy to switch from one to another : )
funnily enough, it's the KBT pure pro that has the weirdest layout, with the entire Z-row moved .25 to the left!

btw, did you get your Z-150 to work perfectly, on a modern PC? because mine's having some issue. and although minor, i can't really use the keyboard because of it..
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:04:58 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:31:56 »
One day I too will stumble onto an Alps board with great switches for dirt cheap :(.

That Z-150 is really nice and I'm glad it was restored instead of parted out. I'm definitely guilty of parting out too many old keyboards and it's always nice to see them lovingly refurbished.

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:49:56 »
Yeah, I got it working... But it took a hand wired matrix to make it happen. Now it's a USB NKRO keyboard. I even used the original cable.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:48:20 »

it's Alt + Esc for the Z-150! (at least, that's the combination on my 1886 - the beeper goes on and off perfectly fine!)
the layout was easy for me, since i was already used to the IBM Model F XT. they're pretty similar in layout.
i have a bunch of boards with totally different layouts, so it's become pretty easy to switch from one to another : )
funnily enough, it's the KBT pure pro that has the weirdest layout, with the entire Z-row moved .25 to the left!

btw, did you get your Z-150 to work perfectly, on a modern PC? because mine's having some issue. and although minor, i can't really use the keyboard because of it..

The key combo worked! Thanks so much! Adding that to the wiki page I made for it.

What kind of issues are you having? For me it was that Linux wouldn't (and still wont) detect the keyboard. Did in Windows 10 though perfectly.

Since Ubuntu is my daily I had to get a active USB adapter. I had to try a few but the one I found to work was the Adesso dual PS2 port active adapter. The legendary Blue Cube adapter didnt do anything. This worked on Linux but the cool red led light lock lights dont work  :( Really want to have those work but its ok for now. Damn you Linux! You work with practically everything BUT the Zenith.

You have a 1886 which I belive to be XT. Are you using a Soarer adapter?