Author Topic: 40% mech keyb  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Rychubil

40% mech keyb
« on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 13:38:17 »
Hello!

I'm looking for a 40% mechanical keyboard on blue switches, like: Minivan, Vibex JD40 or similar. Anyone to know where can I to purchase it?

Regards
Pok3r, Core 47, JD40, OLKB Planck soon (in assembly).
Cherry MX clear, green (150g), Kailh BOX Navy.
SA: Ice caps, Dasher, T0mb3ry Carbon, Maxkey Black, Maxkey dolch, Matt3o/dev/tty MT3. DSA: Dolch, Contrast white, DSA Glimy 2077. Datamancer Typewriter Classic.

Offline apstra

Re: 40% mech keyb
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 14:13:46 »
Have you tried /r/mechmarket?

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 14:22:08 »
Both 1UpKeyboard and TechKeys have JD40 for sale. 1Up also has kit.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 15:49:26 »
Techkeys already has only one part for JD40 but 1Up has a kit.
Maybe the questions be a bit stupid but I am a begginer in this subject.
Does the kit will arrive in parts and it will need to submit by yourself?
How about choosing switches and other options like for example backlit leds?
SA: Ice caps, Dasher, T0mb3ry Carbon, Maxkey Black, Maxkey dolch, Matt3o/dev/tty MT3. DSA: Dolch, Contrast white, DSA Glimy 2077. Datamancer Typewriter Classic.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 16:53:23 »
Techkeys already has only one part for JD40 but 1Up has a kit.
Maybe the questions be a bit stupid but I am a begginer in this subject.
Does the kit will arrive in parts and it will need to submit by yourself?
How about choosing switches and other options like for example backlit leds?
The kit comes in parts so you need to assemble them yourself. The JD40 kit from 1Up contains PCB, top and bottom plate. You still need switches and keycaps (and LEDs if you want them) to finish your build. If you prefer a pre-assembled board, you take look at JD45 and I think mechanicalkeyboards.com still have some stock. Or you can search around GH classifieds.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 17:39:52 »
The kit comes in parts so you need to assemble them yourself. The JD40 kit from 1Up contains PCB, top and bottom plate. You still need switches and keycaps (and LEDs if you want them) to finish your build.

I would prefer JD40. Does it a difficult to assemble for someone who never make it?

You still need switches and keycaps (and LEDs if you want them) to finish your build.

Where can I to purchase switches, keycaps and LEDs?

P.S. Could you tell me something about Planck keyboard? What is the idea of this keyboard layout?
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 November 2016, 17:47:06 by Rychubil »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 20:29:10 »
I would prefer JD40. Does it a difficult to assemble for someone who never make it?

Putting things together is easy. The harder part is soldering. Personally I think soldering is not hard to learn.

Where can I to purchase switches, keycaps and LEDs?

P.S. Could you tell me something about Planck keyboard? What is the idea of this keyboard layout?
I am not familiar with dealer in UK. I think you can get them from keyboardco.com. There are also plenty on eBay.

I have heard of Planck but I know little but the advantage/disadvantage of ortholinear keyboard.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 05:09:53 »
I'm looking for a dealer for either JD45 or a Planck in EU forever.
Some offers pop up here and there in Marketplaces, but not exactly what I want so far.

By the way, why 40%?
Have you used some 60% before?
Personally I think 40% is quite similar to the cellphone keypad with layers.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 08:52:24 »
By the way, why 40%?
Have you used some 60% before?
I want to have really small, portable mechanical keyboard for a small desktop. Second reason is - I like small and smart devices ;)

Offline dilbertprogrammer

• Keyboard Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:02:56 »
If you are hunting a new, assembled 40% with Blue switches, you have several JD45 options here.
I can personally recommend the Minorca and Sebright keyboards from Panc Interactive.  The Minorca kit (assembly required) will be restocked soon at Switchtop.  You can find these on Mech Market on ocassion.  Here is a Sebright that listed for sale yesterday.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:29:00 »
If you are hunting a new, assembled 40% with Blue switches, you have several JD45 options here.
I can personally recommend the Minorca and Sebright keyboards from Panc Interactive.  The Minorca kit (assembly required) will be restocked soon at Switchtop.  You can find these on Mech Market on ocassion.  Here is a Sebright that listed for sale yesterday.

Really need someone to tell me why a JD45 kit can cost twice as much as a Planck kit that has basically everything?
I have been thinking about getting the JD45 across the Atlantics for ages, but ended up spending the money on an HHKB first - and I immediately own a piece of working classic modern keyboard history completed with high quality PBT caps.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:41:51 »
I know about JD45 but I like more JD40 which is easier to build than Panc, I think (it looks like).
Already I found all parts, I need to find only nice keycaps like DSA Dolch but they are unavailable.
What is better in Planck keyboard than JD's?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:44:04 by Rychubil »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 18:30:31 »
I know about JD45 but I like more JD40 which is easier to build than Panc, I think (it looks like).
Already I found all parts, I need to find only nice keycaps like DSA Dolch but they are unavailable.
What is better in Planck keyboard than JD's?

I can't tell my experience on either of the Planck or the JD45 as I don't have them, but as a matter of fact Planck as an ortholinear board will bring a new experience.
And for the Planck, I recently came across a video like this:
Pretty cool to use Planck or ErgoDox as a 'Steno machine'.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 17:46:33 »
Hi guys!
Could you say some pros and cons about two different 40% keyboard layouts, like: regular qwerty layout vs Planck layout? Does someone have any experience with both?
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:53:49 by Rychubil »

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 15:54:10 »
I decided for JD40 kit on Cherry MX green and DSA Dolch caps :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 November 2016, 05:25:21 by Rychubil »

Offline jenggo

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 05:40:28 »
At first planck would be good choice but i regret it haha... then i build jd40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Filcos | JD40 | Planck | FJELL | Jetfire | Weaven | GON 60 | BWU | DasKeyboard | PokerII | Strafe | Octagon v2 | TX 1800 | TXCP | Realforce 104UB | KMAC 1 | TXPad | DC60 | Ergos

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 05:42:26 »
What is your experience with writing on Planck? Why you regret?
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 November 2016, 08:42:57 by Rychubil »

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 15:41:28 »
Some time ago I got whole ordered accessories for assembly JD40 keyboard. Now I'm waiting for extra purchased red WASD keycaps and for a moment my stuff looks like that:
http://www.fotosik.pl/u/rychubil/album/2391642
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2018, 10:59:07 by Rychubil »

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 10:33:07 »
Hello
I already assebled JD40 mkII keyboard:
https://imgur.com/a/zZnf6
Generally, it was my first one soldering and I really enjoyed that :)
My JD40 is built on Cherry MX green switches with 150g springs and finnished on Datamancer Typewriter Classic keycaps. In the nearest future I will change the cable for coiled one, the same color and style.
Now I need to find drivers and install them but I am not sure where can I find and  how to do for proper working and what should I do the first, to start this keyboard?
Anyone can help me please? Every advice will be much appreciated.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 10:45:17 »
Personally never been a fan of the typewriter style keys, but great build either way!  :)
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 11:32:40 »
Hello
I already assebled JD40 mkII keyboard:
https://imgur.com/a/zZnf6
Generally, it was my first one soldering and I really enjoyed that :)
My JD40 is built on Cherry MX green switches with 150g springs and finnished on Datamancer Typewriter Classic keycaps. In the nearest future I will change the cable for coiled one, the same color and style.
Now I need to find drivers and install them but I am not sure where can I find and  how to do for proper working and what should I do the first, to start this keyboard?
Anyone can help me please? Every advice will be much appreciated.

I'm not 100% sure by the way you worded your question, but it sounds to me like you need to program the PCB now. Read over this thread, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83626.0, it should give you the info you're looking for. :thumb:

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 11:58:36 »
I'm not 100% sure by the way you worded your question, but it sounds to me like you need to program the PCB now. Read over this thread, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83626.0,

You correct. I meant PCB plate.
Thanks for this link but now is one problem. 2nd point: download Atmel FLIP is not working.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 12:42:52 »
If you're new to this I would suggest maybe start with Vortex Core?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=375

It's pre-built and easy to buy.

EDIT:  Ops nevermind just read you built your keyboard already, congrats!
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2018, 12:44:51 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 12:44:52 »
If you're new to this I would suggest maybe start with Vortex Core?

I also got Vortex Core.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 13:55:30 »
The JD40 probably came flashed with the default layout. If you want to use the default layout, you should be able to just plug it in and start typing.
My JD45 came flashed with a default layout. I think I got it from MechanicalKeyboards.com.