Author Topic: [IC] GMK Bushidō  (Read 119516 times)

Offline KingOfMemes

Re: [IC] GMK Seppuku
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:01:37 »
Love the set but #14 in the world suicide rate in Japan is going to disagree with you on "ritual that does not exist anymore today"

I'll echo the sentiment that the naming of the set and at least one kit is somewhat questionable.

...inspired by the Japanese ritual practiced by the Samurais who felt to uphold their honor and wanted to regain it through Seppuku (切腹, "cutting [the] belly").

Drawing inspiration from ritual suicide is...a bit out there.

I thought it would be actually a good pretext for duo-tone legends set, which is still quite uncommon yet.

I have to heavily disagree here, this is not good reasoning to simply make a set with legends of two colors. I would actually say it's a very bad reason.

---

All these comments probably feel like westerners getting angry on behalf of a specific culture, but I think it'd be a good idea to take the reasoning behind this theme, the name of the set, as well as the names of the kits back to the drawing board.

Inspiration definitely comes not only from this particular ritual but from the entire samurai background/history.
I just didn't wanna create another red samurai or whatever set. I wanted to go deeper.
When I was searching color schemes about the samurai theme and discovered the Seppuku history, I immediately thought it would be an interesting theme to work on.
For me, the set is more a tribute of Japanese history, since this ritual does not exist anymore today.

I do not want to offend anyone and can definitely change the name of the set if it has to.
Are you dense? He said seppuku doesn't exist today, not suicide doesn't exist today. The whole point is that anyone with a sense of culture can understand that suicide and seppuku are different, and that you should just chaulk up a historical ritual of honor as suicide and nothing else.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:02:44 »
Ritual suicide definitely still exists even if its not called by its former name.

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:06:20 »
I'll echo the sentiment that the naming of the set and at least one kit is somewhat questionable.

...inspired by the Japanese ritual practiced by the Samurais who felt to uphold their honor and wanted to regain it through Seppuku (切腹, "cutting [the] belly").

I thought it would be actually a good pretext for duo-tone legends set, which is still quite uncommon yet.

I have to heavily disagree here, this is not good reasoning to simply make a set with legends of two colors. I would actually say it's a very bad reason.

---

All these comments probably feel like westerners getting angry on behalf of a specific culture, but I think it'd be a good idea to take the reasoning behind this theme, the name of the set, as well as the names of the kits back to the drawing board.

take a deep breath in, let it all out, you now dont care about someone else selling something because it actually doesn't affect you in any way

: )

If you're trying to say this set makes me upset, you'd be wrong. I actually really like the color theme and the dual-toned legends. I just happen to also share the sentiment of others that the naming and theme inspiration of the set is a little questionable. As I said in another post, if we're trying to encapsulate the honor that would drive a samurai to take their own life (in an extremely brutal and painful way, so painful in fact that another samurai would traditionally take their head out of respect for their dedication to the way of a samurai), I would point you to look into Bushido.

Are you dense? He said seppuku doesn't exist today, not suicide doesn't exist today. The whole point is that anyone with a sense of culture can understand that suicide and seppuku are different, and that you should just chaulk up a historical ritual of honor as suicide and nothing else.

I just think the focus on suicide isn't the right move here. As you said, if this is about honor, Bushido would be a good theme to refocus on.

Offline justjimmeh

• Reddit Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:09:16 »
I just think the focus on suicide isn't the right move here. As you said, if this is about honor, Bushido would be a good theme to refocus on.

To add on here, the novelties says words like "suicide" and "disgrace" and "death." Completely unnecessary. If the set is about seppuku and not suicide, why does a key say suicide?

Offline Myoth

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:10:03 »

---

take a deep breath in, let it all out, you now dont care about someone else selling something because it actually doesn't affect you in any way

: )

Damn and I thought boomers only existed in America. What a time to be alive.

http://prntscr.com/pna26i

Offline zekth

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:10:27 »
I will consider changes. I keep you guys updated!

I think we could avoid debating about suicide and stuff.
The set is a tribute to the samurais History, not an apology to anything, and I think we should talk about the set itself, not the name.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

i'd suggest GMK Tom Cruise

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:13:50 »
I like this set better than Alter, but I do agree with some people that the name is a bit suspect.

Personally not a set that I would purchase, but the novelties look great, and I think what you're doing with innovating the colors on the base kits is refreshing. Good luck!

Offline newbatthis

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:14:20 »
Can't wait! Let's all make seppuku great again!
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:17:01 by newbatthis »

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:20:03 »

The set is a tribute to the samurais History, not an apology to anything, and I think we should talk about the set itself, not the name.
I'll preface this with saying that I am Japanese, born there, raised mostly in America. These are strictly my opinion as someone who grew up in Japan for a brief period of time before immigrating to the United States.

First off, Biip, you had good intentions with this idea and I can sense that, but I think the execution could have gone better. I'm torn between "this is bad" and "maybe this is a good thing", because suicide (via seppuku) is still something that happens in Japan. Additionally, as some of you are aware, mental illness is very much a taboo in Japan but (to be frank) it's a culture thing.

Second, cool to see more sublegends but you chose Katakana strictly based on aesthetic so I'm again, on the fence about the idea. To add onto this point, some of the Katakana words are either 1) don't need to be katakana or 2) incorrect. (ie: Base kit should be "ベェースキット”. )

Third, a set honoring the history of anything should be focused on the positive things correct? Samurais are still idolized in various TV shows in Japan still (I watched this one particular show with my grandpa where the main character literally just pulled out a gold name tag and people would stop fighting).

Although the understand the thought process and the good intentions of the idea, it's a no from me dog.
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline rondg

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:21:46 »
I would really like an "Honor kit" - similar to Dishonor kit but the legends are white - so that all white legends is an option too.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:24:36 »

i'd suggest GMK Tom Cruise
Show Image

LMAO

naming aside, this is a ****ing fire set. That two-tone legend is giga nut.  Is the red a vibrant red or something more scarlet?
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:28:22 »
+1 for this set set because I always liked samurai movies, the colors and novelties are very nice !
-1 because it's a GMK, so no ISO-FR

If I may throw a name (for those who won't sleep until it isn't changed ) : GMK Ronin
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:55:34 »
Please rename set to Samurai, Bushido, Kendo, Ninja, etc. I understand where you’re coming from but this is unnecessarily controversial.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 17:57:00 »
P.S. Please get RAMA to make that red M60-A now. Need a keyboard to fit a set. 😉

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 18:07:09 »
I usually don't weigh in on matters like this since I believe people should have the freedom to explore themes as they see fit, but I do think that the naming of the set is a bit tasteless. Based on the colors you could easily change the name to something evoking samurai and battles and it would still fit thematically. Even if there is an element of honor behind seppuku, suicide is obviously going to be a loaded topic and it wouldn't make any sense from a practical standpoint to name a product such as this after a practice of suicide.

That being said, the set itself looks amazing. Great work as always, biip.

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 18:18:03 »
Any deskmat designs, rama caps, keypora collabs or keyforge collabs?

Offline psxndc

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 18:30:39 »
Like the colors and the legends. Any chance for a Colevrak kit? You've been so good to the Colemak Bois in the past, biip!
Ortho. Always.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 18:33:33 »
What about GMK Bushido?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 19:21:26 »
If Biip's hand is (unfairly) forced it has to be renamed GMK Sudoku. GMK Bushido is such a boring, PC suggestion.

Offline amuri99

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 19:36:44 »
I propose to you "GMK Makeinu(まけいぬ, 負犬 )".
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:57:43 by amuri99 »

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 19:38:29 »
If Biip's hand is (unfairly) forced

The point of an interest check is literally to provide feedback so more people will be interested when it goes on sale

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 19:50:46 »
The point of an interest check is literally to provide feedback so more people will be interested when it goes on sale

oh ok

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 19:57:14 »
I would suggest changing the stepped R3 control to a stepped caps and adding a regular R3 control. You're forcing people who want stepped caps or regular control to use stepped control.

Fixed, thanks!

why not both?

Offline King4477

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:13:14 »
R5 kit?

Offline maximize

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:18:52 »
If Biip's hand is (unfairly) forced it has to be renamed GMK Sudoku. GMK Bushido is such a boring, PC suggestion.

Regardless of intention (and I know biip had no ill intent), it would reflect poorly on our community if this went through unchanged. I mean, come on. The internal debate went off immediately, so try to imagine how outsiders might view it. The current theme is tasteless, even though the keyset looks great (and it really does).

If some people don't mind the name/theme now, why would they mind if it was changed to something less indelicate?

Offline nyry43

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:29:35 »
This set looks amazing! I like the two tone. I'll be picking this one up for sure, whatever it ends up being called.

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:50:28 »
Just put a parental advisory sticker on the box. Or rename it to Sudoku.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:51:22 »
Regardless of intention (and I know biip had no ill intent), it would reflect poorly on our community if this went through unchanged. I mean, come on. The internal debate went off immediately, so try to imagine how outsiders might view it. The current theme is tasteless, even though the keyset looks great (and it really does).

If some people don't mind the name/theme now, why would they mind if it was changed to something less indelicate?

The debate goes off immediately all the time, doesn't make it any less idiotic. In all seriousness I'm just glad I don't feel as strongly about something as harmless as this set's name offending people as some seem to. Not naming a set of little plastic caps for a mechanical keyboard "Sepukku" because some people find suicide to be a sensitive topic (let's be honest no one here really gives a fk about whether or not it's offensive to "natives") is not a hill I'd wanna die on.

I really don't care what it's called, as do I not care how people feel about it - which is not to say Biip shouldn't, he definitely should despite it being ridiculous, if for no other reason than potential monetary gain.

Offline Midori

• Formerly loktrevor
  • c:
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:58:47 »

The debate goes off immediately all the time, doesn't make it any less idiotic. In all seriousness I'm just glad I don't feel as strongly about something as harmless as this set's name offending people as some seem to. Not naming a set of little plastic caps for a mechanical keyboard "Sepukku" because some people find suicide to be a sensitive topic (let's be honest no one here really gives a fk about whether or not it's offensive to "natives") is not a hill I'd wanna die on.

I really don't care what it's called, as do I not care how people feel about it - which is not to say Biip shouldn't, he definitely should despite it being ridiculous, if for no other reason than potential monetary gain.

lol

TGR Jane v2 | Vulcan Pro | Matrix 8X v2.0 | Bean | hbcp | froge | hype hen

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:08:53 »
Not liking the katakana alphas. If you are gonna base the set on something traditional, wouldn't using hiragana alphas be keeping more in line with the theme?

Offline Mtalbert

• ???
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:09:57 »
I must say the color combination is a little bit similar to GMK Alter.
This is a good theme.
Hope you can do some changes to make it more unique.
Big fan of Daeru

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:11:29 »

You seem awfully worked up for someone who doesn't care. If you don't feel strongly about it then what is the harm in people discussing their misgivings about the name?

Offline Capsy

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:15:00 »

You seem awfully worked up for someone who doesn't care. If you don't feel strongly about it then what is the harm in people discussing their misgivings about the name?
That's his MO

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:16:26 »
I think the set looks hot,

The name is quite intense though I agree.

Are sets going forward with name controversy going to be supa hot? Find out on the next GMK GB.

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:22:14 »

Nowadays is impossible not to offend someone. I would say that I personally don't have any problems with the set name or inspiration(while having a history of suicide attempts and friends that killed themselves).

If changes had to be done every time someone got offended, lots of things would never be done/released. We live in a globalized society, this problem is seen differently from culture to culture and we shouldn't have to give up just because it is seen badly by another.
To give an example: Just look at how the reception and critics for the Joker film was in America vs Europe. If the people that disliked it had such influence, I am pretty sure that the film would never have been released.

I'm going to be eagerly waiting for the GB of this set. It is a really beautiful and interesting design.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:30:55 by justsomerandomusername »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:29:47 »

Nothing I've said indicates I'm worked up, not really sure why you would throw in a little quip that detracts from your point when your question is plenty valid by itself. In response, I just think it's diverting to see what extent people are willing to go to in situations like these - plus I like Biip and the set warrants the added traffic.

Offline Midori

• Formerly loktrevor
  • c:
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:33:31 »

Nowadays is impossible not to offend someone. I would say that I personally don't have any problems with the set name or inspiration(while having a history of suicide attempts and friends that killed themselves).

If changes had to be done every time someone got offended, lots of things would never be done/released. We live in a globalized society, this problem is seen differently from culture to culture and we shouldn't have to give up just because it is seen badly by another.
To give an example: Just look at how the reception and critics for the Joker film was in America vs Europe. If the people that disliked it had such influence, I am pretty sure that the film would never have been released.

I'm going to be eagerly waiting for the GB of this set. It is a really beautiful and interesting design.

we live in a society

TGR Jane v2 | Vulcan Pro | Matrix 8X v2.0 | Bean | hbcp | froge | hype hen

Offline Willhurt2008

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:36:20 »
Love it, the name is fine, please don't change it.

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:43:11 »
DixieMech had to drop his Axis power themed set and it didn’t even include a swastika or Star of David or anything that wouldn’t be found on dozens, if not hundreds of WWII board games. I thought it was ridiculous.

But because suicide upsets me and I know at least one relative whose taken his life and know that countless others are on the edge of doing the same I now get where the DixieMech set outrage came from.

I don’t think the seppuku name has to change, was just venting that I personally find it unnecessary and that it saddens me. If the creator likes it we’ll it is his set after all.

For pluralism to work (people with radically different views living and working together) people need to turn the other check in all but the most important and meaningful cases. Otherwise you just fight all the time because it’s really, really easy to take offense.

TL;DR - the sets name makes me sad, but in the grand scheme I can deal and it doesn’t matter all that much, lol

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 22:08:26 »

Nothing I've said indicates I'm worked up, not really sure why you would throw in a little quip that detracts from your point when your question is plenty valid by itself. In response, I just think it's diverting to see what extent people are willing to go to in situations like these - plus I like Biip and the set warrants the added traffic.
I only say you seem worked up based on the perceived tone of the messages you have left so far; if you aren't then I apologize. I'm the type that believes that this sort of matter can be handled professionally by letting people openly voice their opinions. Neither side is right nor wrong, but it's all a matter of individual perception. Some people have no issue with the name, while others (myself included) find it tasteless or perhaps even insensitive. All we do at this point is voice our concerns or support to biip and let him make the call. Whether the name stays or gets changed, the world won't end and the keycap set will still be awesome. But it's important to walk away knowing that it's not caving to PC pressure if the name changes, and it's not being intentionally offensive if the name stays as Seppuku.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 22:26:00 »
DixieMech had to drop his Axis power themed set and it didn’t even include a swastika or Star of David or anything that wouldn’t be found on dozens, if not hundreds of WWII board games. I thought it was ridiculous.

But because suicide upsets me and I know at least one relative whose taken his life and know that countless others are on the edge of doing the same I now get where the DixieMech set outrage came from.

I don’t think the seppuku name has to change, was just venting that I personally find it unnecessary and that it saddens me. If the creator likes it we’ll it is his set after all.

For pluralism to work (people with radically different views living and working together) people need to turn the other check in all but the most important and meaningful cases. Otherwise you just fight all the time because it’s really, really easy to take offense.

TL;DR - the sets name makes me sad, but in the grand scheme I can deal and it doesn’t matter all that much, lol

Those novelties literally had Nazi related  symbolizes -- you think GMK, a German company, would even think about manufacturing those keycaps?? LMFAO 

How about ya'll run the "GMK Seppuku" name by Yushakobo ( https://yushakobo.jp/shop/)  and see what kind of response you get? Would love to see what they say. Guarantee it would be along the lines between "no" and "**** no"

Some of you fellow keyboard enthusiasts didn't seem to pay attention to your world history class.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 22:27:35 by megaforce93 »
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 22:29:11 »
OK first I'm not offended (at least as I understand the meaning of the word). I'm not from US and don't really care for your political talk points.

But, I just had a friend commiting suicide for unknown reasons, and it emotionally devastated his family anf friends. Like most bad things in life, you don't care about it until it happens to you. Trust me, knowing your loved ones doing that, it can break you, hard.

Culturally sanctioned or not, Suicide.Is.Not.Good, and while I completely, 110% agree that Seppuku has historical significance, that doesn't mean we should try to glorify it either. Especially when:
- Japan has notorious suicide rate.
- Many suiciders in Japan think of it as a modern form of sepuku, "preserving their honor".
- We know for a fact that seeing/reading about/hearing of/knowing people commiting suicide can lead others to do the same.
- We have historical records that many were forced to commit Seppuku against their wills.

I know "cancel culture" is a thing in the US now. If you go ahead with this IC and eventual GB, it's... fine. It's not very kind to people with unfortunate circumstances like me, but I can just ignore it entirely. I just hope this will give you some perspective on this complex topic.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 22:42:09 by nguyenhimself »

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 23:26:29 »
amazing set, love the novelties, not a big fan of the duo-tone alphas in base, for the new molds, can we expect base set for $115 ~  $140?

Offline iZac02

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 23:28:25 »
I want it. I need it. gimme it. Gimme it NOW!

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 23:36:39 »
sus name
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline renolo

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 00:20:16 »
How about we keep the name and donate a portion of the profits to a suicide prevention hotline? I think that'd be nice
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 00:25:31 by renolo »
Doritos, Cheetos, or Fritos.

Offline fakedSkill

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 02:26:19 »
Definitely in! Would even prefer it with only the Japanese legends, treating it kinda like the Dots set or blanks.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 02:36:49 »
I don't personally care what the name is, nor does it offend me. However, it seems needlessly controversial. Idk why you wouldn't change the name just to be better safe than sorry.

Offline Tequila_Heineken

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 03:41:05 »
However, it seems needlessly controversial.

For like three dudes from US coastal areas,, I think we'll be fine  :-\

Offline kaisn

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:06:47 »
I also couldn't care less about the name.
It's personally not for me but I hope everyone gets to enjoy this GB