Author Topic: IBM Model M Issues after motherboard upgrade  (Read 2071 times)

Offline merardo

IBM Model M Issues after motherboard upgrade
« on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 21:52:47 »
Hello everyone! i'm pleading for your help after finding some painfull issues with my beloved IBM model M keyboard. These ocurred after CPU motherboard upgrade. It's an Asus z490 and doesn't have PS2 port, so i have to plug the keyboard with a PS2/USB adapter. The first problem I found is that this specific key, the one with >/< symbol, does not work at all. Its the only key that does not work (WHY THO???). Secondly, and the most terrible of it, is the issue im about to exemplify because i dont know the proper name of it: imagine you are playing a first person shooter, using the wasd keys to move. So you hold the W key pressed all time to move forward. But when you press and release another key, lets say D, to turn a little to right (while going also forward with the W key still pressed), the game's character stops moving forwards, its like it stops recognizing the W key as pressed, having to re-pressed to start moving forwards again. If anyone knows anything about it and provide me with guidance, I would appreciate it a lot. Thx for reading!  :D

Offline Sdhebert

Re: IBM Model M Issues after motherboard upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:03:52 »
The problem you're facing with gaming is a result of the Model M's lack of n-key rollover.   That's where 'n' defines the number of simultaneously pressed keys can be pressed and still registered (one aspect of it anyway).   Here is a deeper discussion of the issue you face.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2254di/buckling_springs_keyboard_with_nkey_roll_over/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:22:22 »
I had similar problems with my Ms on some ps/2 to usb adapters, some crash when paired with Ms and you need to find one that does not, i have had good luck with the cheap blue dual ports ones from e-bay, and there is soarer's and hasu's adapters that are guaranteed to work and allows you to reprogram your M. There is also the lack of n key rollover of the M but i never had issues with wasd on mine (122 keys though).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline funkmon

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 17:20:37 »
I had similar problems with my Ms on some ps/2 to usb adapters, some crash when paired with Ms and you need to find one that does not, i have had good luck with the cheap blue dual ports ones from e-bay, and there is soarer's and hasu's adapters that are guaranteed to work and allows you to reprogram your M. There is also the lack of n key rollover of the M but i never had issues with wasd on mine (122 keys though).

Yes, I think this might be the source of both of the problems. WASD does work on Models M so it's not a membrane issue. I don't know why a particular key might have stopped functioning though, but I bet a quick fix is to try another adapter. I have had good luck with the monoprice ones.

Offline merardo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 22:03:16 »
The problem you're facing with gaming is a result of the Model M's lack of n-key rollover.   That's where 'n' defines the number of simultaneously pressed keys can be pressed and still registered (one aspect of it anyway).   Here is a deeper discussion of the issue you face.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2254di/buckling_springs_keyboard_with_nkey_roll_over/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, I found smth like this it could be. However its the first time it happens since I have memory. I'm all in the issue comes from the adapter. I should try a new one

Offline jacobalbertus1

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 19:18:19 »
yeah iv had this problem with certian ps/2 adaptors il link ya one that works for me and is dirt cheap https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Generic-For-PS-2-PS2-to-USB-Male-Converter-Adapter-Cable-for-Keyboard-Mouse/303126492798?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 3.50$ per dirt cheap I'm using it with my silver label 1391401 I have a rare boy
Model f 122 USB industrial paint (daily), model f xt inbox almost nos Ellipse approved, NOS model m ssk , Model F 77 for class (special needs I was told I had to use a mech or a key beeper by the school) model m 1391401 silver label ( this was a factory messup where they stuck a 139101 sticker on it and sent it with a ps/2) model m 1390131 model m unicomp industrial case modded  and a model f at