Author Topic: What is the purpose of sculpted keycaps?  (Read 27970 times)

Offline TuxForLife

What is the purpose of sculpted keycaps?
« on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:30:00 »
Hi everyone, semi-noob here. I have tried pretty hard researching this question, but never really found a solid answer.

Sculpted keys seem like an inconvenience when trying to pimp out a keyboard with multi-color keycaps, as I have to get different heights for each row (R1, R2, etc.)

Is this inconvenience worth it?
I am currently using sculpted keycaps as a matter of fact with my CM Quickfire Rapid, but I don't seem to notice the benefits of the sculpted keycaps, any opinions would be great to listen to, thanks!

I'm hoping to get an Ergodox EZ in April, and I'm trying to prepare for everything. I can't wait to get my literal hands on one!

Offline Pdub

Re: What is the purpose of sculpted keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:30:57 »
They are used to accent a keyboard and it is art.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:31:31 »
Ease of typing. I believe the idea is to counteract the distance the fingers have to stretch to reach each row.

Offline NiceAndCreamy

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:33:10 »
It's mainly just preference/ease of use. For boards like the Ergodox or the Planck it's much easier to have a bunch of uniform keys so you can lay it out however you'd like. Some people also just prefer the feel of uniform key caps. I for one prefer sculpted because it gives the keys a little extra slant.

Offline TuxForLife

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:40:33 »
They are used to accent a keyboard and it is art.

Really? O.o

Ease of typing. I believe the idea is to counteract the distance the fingers have to stretch to reach each row.

That's what I was certain it was for, but do you believe that difference is noticeable and worth it?

It's mainly just preference/ease of use. For boards like the Ergodox or the Planck it's much easier to have a bunch of uniform keys so you can lay it out however you'd like. Some people also just prefer the feel of uniform key caps. I for one prefer sculpted because it gives the keys a little extra slant.

I'm hoping to get a blank set, but I would like to get different colored keycaps to make it look unique, so changing the layout isn't important to me. I am not sure if I would prefer sculpted over uniform/flat, so I will ask you the same question I asked hashbaz, do you think the proposed benefits of sculpted is worth the tradeoff of uniformity?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback a lot

Offline Malenky

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:43:08 »
That's what I was certain it was for, but do you believe that difference is noticeable and worth it?

Absolutely, I feel the difference switching between cherry and OEM profiles, which, as far as increments is millimetres. Your fingers notice fractions of millimetres.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:44:50 »

Noticeable, yes. Preferable, yes. Worth it? Depends on what you want. For a work keyboard I'd absolutely go sculpted. For something I use less frequently, I could probably live with flat or uniform keys if they look super flippin sweet.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:44:59 »
Are you talking about Artisans Keycaps?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:45:44 »

lol I think he just meant to ask why all keycaps aren't flat.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:46:16 »

lol I think he just meant to ask why all keycaps aren't flat.
That makes more sense.

Offline TuxForLife

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:01:16 »
Thank you every single one of you, that was really helpful. Sorry for the newbish question.

The reason I asked this question:
The Ergodox EZ comes with PBT DCS keycaps (blank), and I would love to get an additional color to simply make it look cooler by replacing the modifier keys.

The only issue I'm having is where can I buy these keycaps? (since DCS makes it a little more confusing for me since they aren't uniform)

This site has exactly what I'm looking for in their "Ergodox Modifier Set":
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-pbt-abs-blank-keycap-sets/
However, it is DSA, so it won't match with the sculpted DCS, (if I am correct)
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:05:58 by TuxForLife »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:05:28 »
Aggressively sculpted keycaps make a noticeable difference when you try to reach your finger to the further-away rows. Existing keycap profiles are actually *less* aggressive than they should be, especially on the number and F rows.

Try putting your hands on the keyboard with one of your fingers (e.g. the index finger) in as relaxed, neutral a position you can. Your finger should have a bit of a curve in every joint, especially at the second knuckle. Now, uncurl your finger a little bit. Ideally, your fingertip should now be right at the top of the next further away key. This is approximately what happens on a mechanical typewriter, because the keys are in a stairstep arrangement:

Unfortunately, the bottom (ZXCV) row on a typewriter is really hard to reach, because when you curl your finger *more* than its relaxed position, it doesn’t really get any longer, but mostly just comes straight back toward the body. So on a mechanical typewriter, the top two letter rows and to some extent the number row are pretty easy to reach, but the bottom row is a pain in the butt, especially for the middle finger, which is a bit longer than the other fingers. This is why uncommon letters were placed on the bottom row of the Dvorak keyboard layout, which was designed for mechanical typewriters. (When you transplant Dvorak to a different keyboard, such as a flat laptop keyboard, that design decision no longer makes sense, because on a laptop keyboard the bottom row is relatively easier to reach, and the top rows are relatively harder to reach.)

The earliest electronic typewriters and computer keyboards had completely flat/uniform keys. Some of them had a slight tilt to the key tops, trying to mimic the typewriter style, but regardless, they didn’t get nearly as much step as on a typewriter. Something like this:

In the early 1970s, typists and researchers/keyboard makers at IBM and Honeywell figured out that you could make typing easier by using sculptured key tops. Look at the IBM Selectric II typewriters and beam spring keyboards, and certain Honeywell hall effect keyboards from that era. They have key tops with a shape roughly like this: (Specifically, this shows keycaps from a Canon typewriter; the IBM and Honeywell keycaps were a bit taller than this, but a very similar relative shape between rows.)

This shape is still the gold standard among keycaps available today, and a big part of the reason people love IBM beam spring keyboards. Look how aggressive the step is from one row to another. This shape is still not perfect in my opinion (it has less step between the home row and the further away rows than the typewriter has), but it’s better than anything else available, unless you DIY your keycaps or use a non-flat plate to hold the switches.

In the 1980s, the German government insisted that all keyboards sold in Germany be less than 3 centimeters tall, from the desk to the top of the home row keys, and insisted on a keyboard slope of less than 15°. I haven’t read the studies that led to this standard (if anyone can read German and knows where to find a copy, and wants to translate them, I’d love to see), but in my opinion this was a terrible set of conclusions to make from a human ergonomics perspective. But anyway, as a result, both keyswitches and keycaps had to be shrunk down, and in general the step between rows was made less aggressive. At the same time, keyboard colors mostly changed to light gray/beige (also mandated by the German government), and keycap tops changed to be cylindrical instead of spherical, because the bigger rectangular shape was easier to fit multilingual international legends on. Examples include “Cherry” profile, “Alps” profile, and Signature Plastics DCS (“DIN cylindrical sculpted”):

IBM buckling spring keyboards are also a roughly comparable design, but with a curved backplate.

Later on, people who didn’t understand the point of the keycap shape designed even more watered down profiles, such as “OEM”, which is IMO inferior to the ones above:

Among available keycaps, I’m also a fan of the shape of the keycaps on the Apple Extended Keyboard:

In my opinion, entirely flat/uniform keycap profiles such as DSA, or SA when used on a flat keyboard with straight-stemmed switches, are inferior to all of the above:

Look how wimpy the step is between rows.

For more analysis, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550 and https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62444
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:25:37 by jacobolus »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:13:36 »
More
Aggressively sculpted keycaps make a noticeable difference when you try to reach your finger to the further-away rows. Existing keycap profiles are actually *less* aggressive than they should be, especially on the number and F rows.

Try putting your hands on the keyboard with one of your fingers (e.g. the index finger) in as relaxed, neutral a position you can. Your finger should have a bit of a curve in every joint, especially at the second knuckle. Now, uncurl your finger a little bit. Ideally, your fingertip should now be right at the top of the next further away key. This is approximately what happens on a mechanical typewriter, because the keys are in a stairstep arrangement:
Show Image

Unfortunately, the bottom (ZXCV) row on a typewriter is really hard to reach, because when you curl your finger *more* than its relaxed position, it doesn’t really get any longer, but mostly just comes straight back toward the body. So on a mechanical typewriter, the top two letter rows and to some extent the number row are pretty easy to reach, but the bottom row is a pain in the butt, especially for the middle finger, which is a bit longer than the other fingers. This is why uncommon letters were placed on the bottom row of the Dvorak keyboard layout, which was designed for mechanical typewriters.

The earliest electronic typewriters and computer keyboards had completely flat/uniform keys. Some of them had a slight tilt to the key tops, trying to mimic the typewriter style, but regardless, they didn’t get nearly as much step as on a typewriter. Something like this:
Show Image

In the early 1970s, typists and researchers/keyboard makers at IBM and Honeywell figured out that you could make typing easier by using sculptured key tops. Look at the IBM Selectric II typewriters and beam spring keyboards, and certain Honeywell hall effect keyboards from that era. They have key tops with a shape roughly like this (but a bit taller):
Show Image

This shape is still the gold standard among keycaps available today. Look how aggressive the step is from one row to another. This shape is still not perfect in my opinion (it has less step between the home row and the further away rows than the typewriter has), but it’s better than anything else available (unless you DIY your keycaps or use a non-flat plate to hold the switches).

In the 1980s, the German government insisted that all keyboards be less than 3 centimeters tall, from the desk to the top of the home row keys, and insisted on a keyboard slope of less than 15°. I haven’t read the studies that led to this standard (if anyone can read German and knows where to find a copy, and wants to translate them, I’d love to see), but in my opinion this was a terrible set of conclusions to make from a human ergonomics perspective. But anyway, as a result, keycaps had to be shrunk down, and in general the step between rows was made less aggressive. Examples include “Cherry” profile and “Alps” profile:
Show Image

Show Image

Later on, people who didn’t understand the point of the keycap shape designed even more watered down profiles, such as “OEM”, which is IMO inferior to the ones above:
Show Image

Among available keycaps, I’m also a fan of the shape of the keycaps on the Apple Extended Keyboard:
Show Image

In my opinion, entirely flat/uniform keycap profiles such as DSA, or SA when used on a flat keyboard with straight-stemmed switches, are inferior to all of the above:
Show Image

Show Image

Look how wimpy the step is between rows.

For more analysis, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550 and https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62444

This is a ****ing great post. I never knew that about the German government. Seriously awesome.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline TuxForLife

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:31:01 »
jacobolus!

Hey, thanks for such a well thought out answer! Your first paragraphs really made me realize the importance and purpose of sculpted keys, especially when describing the bottom row. I actually recognize your name from your reddit post in the past when I was looking this topic up. You must be the go-to-guy for keycaps  ;D

One concern of sculpted keycaps is that keycaps are pressed perpendicularly, but sculpted keycaps makes is so they are pushed a little "crookedly" since their tops are not parallel to the base. I doubt it's an issue, but it's something I've thought of.

This wouldn't happen with a curved base with flat keys in contrast to a flat base with curved keys, but I am aware that a curved base would cause higher manufacturing costs.

Damn it, have to go to school so I won't be able to reply for a while. Thanks everyone

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:37:40 »
One concern of sculpted keycaps is that keycaps are pressed perpendicularly, but sculpted keycaps makes is so they are pushed a little "crookedly" since their tops are not parallel to the base. I doubt it's an issue, but it's something I've thought of.
My personal opinion is that this isn’t too big a deal for the ZXCV row, but that the optimal angle on that row would be slightly tilted forward, as you suggest.

For further-away rows (QWER row, number row, F row), I am of the opinion that a curve backplate board is suboptimal, because the primary muscle motion used to press a key (flexing the joint at the base of the finger) ends up mostly imparting force straight down regardless of the key, so if you have keys tilted away from the body, you end up needing to do a kind of “stabbing” motion to press them.

If you want to add another finger-key row closer to the body than the ZXCV row, then tilting it forward dramatically (like 60–80°) lets you use a “squeezing” trigger-type motion to press those keys, which works pretty darn well for modifiers. But then you need a 3-dimensional keyboard, which is much harder to produce than a flat one. (Also, for that to work it would probably would help to have a column-staggered layout.) Something like this:

For flat keyboards, I prefer to just not have a finger-key row below the ZXCV row, but add a whole bunch of thumb keys instead.

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 19:44:20 by jacobolus »

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 19:11:40 »
FYI the regulation was not from German goverment but from DIN/ISO-Standards for ergonomy. Look for ISO 9241 Part 4. The angle 15° and maximal keys'height of 30mm are for the purpose, that your handwrist and finger joints are not too much bended even without a wrist/palm rest pad.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 19:16:54 »
FYI the regulation was not from German goverment but from DIN
From what I understand, the DIN standard had some kind of legal force in Germany. I.e. work computers in Germany needed to abide by the DIN ergonomics standard to be sold.

Or are you saying it was just a voluntary thing, with German offices refusing to buy non-compliant hardware?

The angle 15° and maximal keys'height of 30mm are for the purpose, that your handwrist and finger joints are not too much bended even without a wrist/palm rest pad.

And I’m saying that this is actually wrong, from a human factors perspective, when considering the mandated one-size-fits-all height of desk and chair from the same DIN standard, or the height of most office furniture sold in US and presumably in Europe (I’m not familiar with e.g. Japanese office furniture).

Note, the desk/chair height in the DIN standard are set up so that a medium-height male in the 1980s (I’d say maybe 5'8"–5'10"?) can comfortably write with pen and paper. Such a desk is too tall for a mild-slope keyboard to be comfortable, especially for someone with a shorter than average-male-size torso. For such a desk and chair, the keyboard needs to have a relatively steep tilt to be comfortable. A low profile mild-tilt keyboard would be more appropriate for a very low desk, just above the lap (but writing on such a desk with pen/paper would be less comfortable), for an under-desk keyboard tray, for a tall desk with a tall saddle-type chair, or for a standing desk.

More generally, any kind of one-size-fits-all standard is stupid, considering the range of body shape and ability. A national ergonomics standard should mandate employee choice or adjustable equipment, not any one fixed thing. Employees should be given a choice of desk height, or ideally should be given an adjustable-height desk. Likewise, chairs should have a range of heights, and ideally employees should be given a choice of multiple chair styles, or allowed to use a standing desk. Keyboards should have split, tented, independently adjustable halves, at least as an option. If there is going to be a one-piece keyboard, it should have feet which support at least 3 tilt positions, e.g. flat, 15°, 30°. & cetera. Vendors should be allowed to experiment with alternative designs, so that the whole society doesn’t have an inferior product locked in via mandate; if there’s must a fixed standard design, it should maybe be an option for all employees, but not a requirement in case an employee prefers something different.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 21:52:48 by jacobolus »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 19:27:21 »
FYI the regulation was not from German goverment but from DIN
From what I understand, the DIN standard had some kind of legal force in Germany. I.e. work computers in Germany needed to abide by the DIN ergonomics standard to be sold.

DIN stands for the German Institute for Standardization. (Deutsches Institut für Normung)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Institut_f%C3%BCr_Normung

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 20:50:14 »
I am learning a lot of awesome stuff in this thread. Thanks to all who've shared their knowledge.

Regarding DIN and standardization, standards aren't necessarily designed to be good; they're just designed to be standard. As in, some people liked heavily-sculpted keycaps, while others liked flat caps. The solution, therefore, is to create a slightly-sculpted standard that nobody likes. What else do you expect from a nation who, at the time, was occupied by communists?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 23:52:46 »
I am learning a lot of awesome stuff in this thread. Thanks to all who've shared their knowledge.

Regarding DIN and standardization, standards aren't necessarily designed to be good; they're just designed to be standard. As in, some people liked heavily-sculpted keycaps, while others liked flat caps. The solution, therefore, is to create a slightly-sculpted standard that nobody likes. What else do you expect from a nation who, at the time, was occupied by communists?

I would assume that DIN was based in Western Belin or West Germany, as not a huge amount of communist government infrastructure remained after the fall of the Berlin wall...

Offline TuxForLife

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 00:02:51 »
jacobolus (or anyone else), by any chance, do you work for OSHA or anything similar?

Also, sorry to sound selfish, but would anybody mind to answer my followup question I asked earlier on where to buy supplemental keycaps for my future Ergodox EZ?

Thank you every single one of you, that was really helpful. Sorry for the newbish question.

The reason I asked this question:
The Ergodox EZ comes with PBT DCS keycaps (blank), and I would love to get an additional color to simply make it look cooler by replacing the modifier keys.

The only issue I'm having is where can I buy these keycaps? (since DCS makes it a little more confusing for me since they aren't uniform)

This site has exactly what I'm looking for in their "Ergodox Modifier Set":
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-pbt-abs-blank-keycap-sets/
However, it is DSA, so it won't match with the sculpted DCS, (if I am correct)

Offline sandywind

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:59:28 »
I am writing this post on a Cherry Brown Poker II with the Signature Plastics SA Danger Zone keycap set, which is non sculpted, the situation is similar to the one depicted in jacobolus' ninth photo.

Before using this combination, I had only used sculpted caps on planar plates or original IBM PC buckling spring keyboards. So far I have not reached any conclusion regarding the keyboard with this keycap set. I can only say I took me two weeks of intermittent use to start feeling comfortable typing with this combination, now I switch keyboards constantly and still the additional stretch needed to reach some keys ('y', 'b' for example) is apparent when I leave a keyboard with sculpted keycaps and I start typing on this one.

All in all I am not very impressed, though I like the contour shape and surface of SA caps a lot.

A question for jacobolus: is there a mainstream keyboard with mechanical switches that does not have perpendicular stems? Would that help with this keycap set?
Corsair Vengeance K65 w/ SP DCS Twilight Keycaps | Poker II w/ Danger Zone keycaps | HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87UW55 | IBM PC BS 80's | OLKB Planck | IC WhiteFox | Varmilo VA87ML

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 16:39:12 »
A question for jacobolus: is there a mainstream keyboard with mechanical switches that does not have perpendicular stems? Would that help with this keycap set?
They’re all from the 70s. IBM beam spring, Honeywell hall effect, Cherry M7, Marquardt linear and clicky, SMK “vintage linear”, NEC linear, MEI WEAB.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:19:21 »
A lot of my touch typing springs from remembering how each row feels. I guess I have attentive issues when I type  :))

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:17:02 »
I am working with DIN ISO almost everyday as a mechanical engineer in Germany. Im totally agree that standardizing can't give consumer the best products in aspect of ergonomics. But keep in mind that standard is somehow like a "safety" barrier for the manufacturing. Keep your products in standards can get it compability for other third-party add-ons. And the results is although not good but acceptable. Not all keyboard manufactors makes wirst rest or furnitures.

Go into details, I think that the 15 degree tilt is calculated only from the bending angle of your typing wrist laying on a flat surface, not based on other DINs for tables/chairs, and real working tables/chairs are always adjustable to fit your gesture and form.

And more about history, Deutsche Institute for Standardizing (DIN) was long founded (1917) before the occupying of the communist in Germany. The founding of DIN enabled Germany to make a harmonized industrializing throughout all the fields of production. Imagine how can you mass-manufacture if your products cant fit other parts which were from other companies who also not stay with the standards. Companies are not forced to stay with DIN, but they need to provide a full enclosured manufacturing from screw bits to accessories, which is not efficient. Actually DIN is nowadays quite loose, because new designs come everyday, and the standardizing cant keep up with those.

Sorry for broken English, but it was fun discussing with you guys. :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:20:01 by Zorox »

Offline mwichary

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 11:39:41 »
Not sure if it’s kosher to resurrect an old thread, but… for Zorox, Jacobolus particularly:

It’s my understanding that you’re both right. I believe there was a German DIN standard 66234 that dictated low-profile, beige etc. keyboards – and then there was a separate safety rule DIN ZH1/618 (“Safety rules for visual display workstations in office areas”) that had some legal standing and was tasked with “implementing” that standard. You can see in the manual of this keyboard from 2000 that they’re still touting “tested safety” badge based on that safety rule.

I am trying to find either of the standards above; I might be wrong as I’m still piecing it all together.

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 December 2017, 11:55:35 by mwichary »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 02:16:37 »
wow. jacobolus's post needs to be archived. That was awesome info. Thanks!
-Dana

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 18:11:56 »
I do not know the purpose of sculpted key caps. They are very mysterious!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:41:26 »
Yeah, I totally understand you. I think the purpose is to make each key separated and really easy to know which one you are typing right now. Also, different levels can somehow reduce the weariness of your fingers I think haha. Anyway, personally choose looks over functions.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 20:00:56 »
A good reference here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 23:06:27 »
damn this thread is old

its to please your fingertips

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 19:36:04 »
damn this thread is old

The good stuff sometimes gets forgotten. Not horrible to drag it back up to the top, make some additions/corrections... and share it with the noobs  :cool:
-Dana

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:55:15 »
damn this thread is old

Terrible poem - doesn't even rhyme.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 05:59:47 »
damn this thread is old

I'd like to see you do better.  :p
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 19:57:32 »
damn this thread is old

damn this thread is old
i think my eyes just rolled
but instead i'll purse my lips

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 20:01:07 »
damn this thread is old

i'd like to see you do better
to rhyme it with every letter
i'll purse my lips and roll my eyes
illegitimate enterprise