Author Topic: Galaxy Class: an official Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan from Roddenberry.com  (Read 48472 times)

Offline sympodius

Thanks for the update. They look AMAZING!!  :D

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Any news on the artisan?

Yes, those are all complete and came out great. They're just waiting on the resin caps and gift boxes to be complete, as the group-buy will all ship together.

Offline sympodius

The antici...

...pation

Offline norbauer

Here is the video I shot at SP, which includes (toward the end) the dyesub process on the Galaxy Class sets. My favorite part is their custom robotic hold-down jig that prevents warping of the large modifier keys as they cool.  :cool:

Incidentally, the packaging is slated to be completed and inspected this week, so SP should have the boxes with a week or two. Slowly but surely, we're nudging close to shipping day. :D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Here is the video I shot at SP, which includes (toward the end) the dyesub process on the Galaxy Class sets. My favorite part is their custom robotic hold-down jig that prevents warping of the large modifier keys as they cool.  :cool:

Incidentally, the packaging is slated to be completed and inspected this week, so SP should have the boxes with a week or two. Slowly but surely, we're nudging close to shipping day. :D

oh wow, really cool stuff

i like the part with the dyesub machine
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline norbauer

oh wow, really cool stuff

i like the part with the dyesub machine

That was my favorite process to watch too, actually, even though it doesn't involve such sophisticated machinery as the injection molding process. I love that the person who loads the keys into the jig and then into the dyesub machine does it basically key-by-key. I watched her meticulously check each one over. I think doing that all day would make my eyes would go crossed (or my brain crazy), but she seemed pretty jovial about it. :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
I kept wondering if that lady who spends all day with keycaps thinks we’re crazy for obsessing over them.  Also thought it was crazy hat they’re all hand trimmed.

And it looks like the longer keycaps get a special clamp down treatment after dyesub to prevent warping while cooling.. again all by hand. 

Very interesting video.  Thanks for sharing. 

Offline sympodius

Such a beautifully shot video! Thanks so much for that  :D

Offline Darknight00z

Any updates please?

Offline norbauer

Any updates please?

I'm happy to report that I just spoke to Melissa earlier this morning and they're being placed into boxes at SP as I write this. Assuming Roddenberry's fulfillment center is able to turn things around quickly (and they usually are), this would mean shipping to participants perhaps late this week, or sometime next week.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Any updates please?

I'm happy to report that I just spoke to Melissa earlier this morning and they're being placed into boxes at SP as I write this. Assuming Roddenberry's fulfillment center is able to turn things around quickly (and they usually are), this would mean shipping to participants perhaps late this week, or sometime next week.

hell yeah
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline sympodius

That's great news! Thanks for the update  :)

Offline norbauer

The keysets have shipped from Signature Plastics and are on their way to the Roddenberry fulfillment center!  :D

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
The keysets have shipped from Signature Plastics and are on their way to the Roddenberry fulfillment center!  :D

Offline sympodius

Aaaaaw yeeeaaaah  ;D

Offline norbauer

Everything has arrived at Roddenberry now and is currently being counted and packed up for shipping. All sets should be shipped out by mid-week next week at the latest. :cool:

I got several sets myself, which arrived early, and they look amazing. Signature Plastics really outdid themselves this time. And I'm really happy with the fancy boxes. Can't wait for you guys to see them and to hear your feedback. :D

Offline sympodius

So excited!

Offline ProtonDecay

Everything has arrived at Roddenberry now and is currently being counted and packed up for shipping. All sets should be shipped out by mid-week next week at the latest. :cool:

I got several sets myself, which arrived early, and they look amazing. Signature Plastics really outdid themselves this time. And I'm really happy with the fancy boxes. Can't wait for you guys to see them and to hear your feedback. :D
Will there be extras going up for sale?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

Will there be extras going up for sale?

Yes, but they want to get all the original orders shipped out first. You can join their email list to be notified when they're available.

Offline vilagefool

Shipping Soon....the longest part of the GB process  :))

Offline long_qt_pie

Just noticed the Roddenberry store is having a sale now, if only the extras went on sale at the same time lol
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
Just got shipping notice!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline norbauer

Just got shipping notice!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Awesome! Thanks for the update. :)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Just got mine in the mail today.

It's more beautiful than I ever could have hoped for.

I unboxed it at the office, and the reactions I got from coworkers were great and amusing.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline AuthenticDanger

Just got mine in the mail today.

It's more beautiful than I ever could have hoped for.

I unboxed it at the office, and the reactions I got from coworkers were great and amusing.

My coworker's reactions were also pretty good when I unboxed mine at the office.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline raugturi

Did anyone else not get a space bar? I got mine in the mail today and it all looks great, except where the spacebar should be in the box is just an empty slot.

Offline norbauer

Did anyone else not get a space bar? I got mine in the mail today and it all looks great, except where the spacebar should be in the box is just an empty slot.

Fortunately, I think this is just a one-off error at the factory—such errors are known to happen from time to time. Roddenberry will be contacting you tomorrow to arrange a replacement.

Offline raugturi

Fortunately, I think this is just a one-off error at the factory—such errors are known to happen from time to time. Roddenberry will be contacting you tomorrow to arrange a replacement.

I contacted them through the online form on their site earlier and they already emailed me, so great customer support response.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
My Galaxy Class Norbatouch/Novatouch is finally complete.
Thanks Ryan!

196822-0

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
Thanks Ryan!

(Attachment Link)
That is one sexy set and board!! Grats man, I have my fingers cross for extras and or round 2

Offline bearwolfz

So jealous of all of you! I still haven't gotten my shipping confirmation  :-X

Offline sympodius

I'm so pleased to see people getting their keycaps and that they look so awesome! I'm still waiting on my shipping notification, but good to know they'll be here before too long!

Offline vilagefool

Just got my set in! It looks better in person, this is really gorgeous! I kinda wish I picked up 2 sets, one for display and one for use, it looks that good. Really nice job Ryan!

Any chance of other series themed sets like TOS or DS9? (DSA9 pretty much names itself :))

Offline norbauer

Just got my set in! It looks better in person, this is really gorgeous! I kinda wish I picked up 2 sets, one for display and one for use, it looks that good. Really nice job Ryan!

Any chance of other series themed sets like TOS or DS9? (DSA9 pretty much names itself :))

We were thinking of maybe doing a double-shot set next time with Klingon legends. :)

Offline AuthenticDanger

Thanks Ryan!

(Attachment Link)
That is one sexy set and board!! Grats man, I have my fingers cross for extras and or round 2

This *was* round 2. Round 1 was run via MassDrop.

Offline AuthenticDanger

We were thinking of maybe doing a double-shot set next time with Klingon legends. :)

If there were no sub legends, I would be VERY into this!

Offline goodman247

Thanks Ryan!

(Attachment Link)
Well I guess I missed my chances twice :(, I did just recent started on the hobby though :) So I have my fingers crossed for round 3!!
This *was* round 2. Round 1 was run via MassDrop.

Offline djsquared

As of this posting, there are extra sets up for sale on Roddenberry shop

Offline mdaly001

Hells yes got a set... No artisan keys left tho :-(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

Artisan extras will be up in a week or so.

Offline mdaly001

OMG u sir are my favorite person today

Offline djsquared

Fantastic!

Offline Elexes

Love the set, can't wait to throw them on my Norbatouch this weekend, but something caught my eye once I looked at the second tray in the box...
Were the lighter colored legends on the numpad modifiers an oversight when making the graphic on the numpad numbers lighter for r2? Several of them are darker legends (0,00, SUM, and NAV LOCK), it is noticeable in the graphic on the site now that I know what I'm looking for after seeing them in person, just seemed like an odd design choice if it was done on purpose.

Offline glarnok

Man those sold out quick. So glad I got my order in though! Can't wait to get it.

Offline goodman247

Man those sold out quick. So glad I got my order in though! Can't wait to get it.
It was too late by the time I have a chance to check my email :(
Hopefully there can be more

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Love the set, can't wait to throw them on my Norbatouch this weekend, but something caught my eye once I looked at the second tray in the box...
Were the lighter colored legends on the numpad modifiers an oversight when making the graphic on the numpad numbers lighter for r2? Several of them are darker legends (0,00, SUM, and NAV LOCK), it is noticeable in the graphic on the site now that I know what I'm looking for after seeing them in person, just seemed like an odd design choice if it was done on purpose.

Yes it is intentional:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92365.msg2515876#msg2515876

Offline RSC

When?!?! Take my money. I would love that, if the colourway is nice ofc.

Offline Kerasan

I did not arrive in time for the extras, I read the mail later.  :'(

KMK Labs.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Got mine today. Really nice set.  Crisp, bold legends.  Colors are so perfectly harmonized. Packaging is really cool, too.

Offline long_qt_pie

I did not arrive in time for the extras, I read the mail later.  :'(

KMK Labs.

Sold out in under an hour, although it didn't seem like there were more than 20 extra sets I'd reckon (based on how long it took to sell out when there were 10 left)
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit