Author Topic: Keebs: A guys-only thing?  (Read 13587 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Keebs: A guys-only thing?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 05:54:40 »
I've had to resort to a userstyle to cope with all the large teal. Only so much one can handle.

Really, there's a way to do that? Please say how. People who do adolescent things like this don't realize it's like telling the same joke over and over.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Coreda

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 06:09:23 »
Really, there's a way to do that? Please say how. People who do adolescent things like this don't realize it's like telling the same joke over and over.

pm'darooni

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 06:30:21 »
I've had to resort to a userstyle to cope with all the large teal. Only so much one can handle.

I f y o u c a n ' t b e a t t h e m j o i n t h e m

Offline Coreda

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 06:59:41 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 07:21:29 »

Show Image

Wait, tp isn't the only one that uses that garlic thing dude? :p
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 11:35:37 »
Normally I'd agree. Remember, though, we're talking about keyboard geeks—guys who spend much of their time looking down at their fingers and obsessing over small, precisely aligned objects. I think most of them would be so excited by the idea of communicating with females, they wouldn't want to ruin it by asserting their masculinity (which, again, in most cases, wouldn't be much of an issue either, LOL).
Yeaaah, everyone thinks "not me/us".

Geeks and techs are better about it until you cross some imaginary line, then they can actually be some of the most sexist you will find. All that pent up aggression from how they were treated in school comes out and they can get outright nasty.

Woah.. //Tp4 sending calm waves to LLann

LLann,   There're alot of riffraffs in EVERY community..   Geeks are no exception, you go up to any Normy-nongeeks,  enter a conversation about making sandwiches and laundry, it's very likely they come up with equivalently -secsist- remarks..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 19:02:22 »
Tp4tissue,
I'm not even going to quote that in order to give you a chance to rethink and edit that post.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 19:28:28 »
Tp4tissue,
I'm not even going to quote that in order to give you a chance to rethink and edit that post.

The tech community is very large,  when you make a blanket statement about any large group of people..

That statement is probably just as true in any OTHER large group of people..

So, the underpinning to discrimination one may have encountered IN TECH, is not due TO TECH,

As for how many people being abused at school, holding onto emotional distress, later manifesting into discrimination.. It's a misnomer that everyone on the outgroup of the playground ends up in tech..  it wouldn't even be the majority..

Because relative to ALL other jobs,  Tech is way smaller..   

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 20:09:58 »
Tp4tissue,

I'd say the same for yours
blanket statements are not the best way to garner credibility, especially in your case here

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 20:13:11 »
Tp4tissue,

I'd say the same for yours
blanket statements are not the best way to garner credibility, especially in your case here

Guys.. it's not a fight..  let's remain cordial ..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 20:16:22 »
The tech community is very large,  when you make a blanket statement about any large group of people..

So, the underpinning to discrimination one may have encountered IN TECH, is not due TO TECH,

As for how many people being abused at school, holding onto emotional distress, later manifesting into discrimination.. It's a misnomer that everyone on the outgroup of the playground ends up in tech..  it wouldn't even be the majority..

I guess you missed the part where I said "they can be some of the worst", that does not imply all.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 20:25:08 »

I guess you missed the part where I said "they can be some of the worst", that does not imply all.

I have no certainty of HOW MANY.

But, let's say you were exposed by trade w/ 100 computer guys,  and only 12 non-computer guys..

It's difficult to quantify, and while numerical discrepancy does not disqualify your personal experience..  I think it may be premature to Hand computer guys "The Worst", label.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 20:32:08 »
I have no certainty of HOW MANY.

But, let's say you were exposed by trade w/ 100 computer guys,  and only 12 non-computer guys..

It's difficult to quantify, and while that does not disqualify your personal experience..  I think it may be premature to Hand computer guys "The Worst", label.
Yes, keep telling me how I don't understand sexism in the tech industry.

Hang on, let me get some popcorn, oh wait, maybe it should be ice cream since, you know, I'm all emotional. Nope, popcorn works fine.

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:19:04 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 22:08:03 »

You know well that implies a blanket statement. I'm with tp on this one. All communities have their share of "radical outliers". You can't just say geeks can be like this taking the moral high ground completely ignoring other situations (BOTH GENDERS) that demonstrate the opposite

Oh and gg with the Anita gif, one of the most sexist and racist people in the industry.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 22:12:31 »
You know well that implies a blanket statement. I'm with tp on this one. All communities have their share of "radical outliers". You can't just say geeks can be like this taking the moral high ground completely ignoring other situations (BOTH GENDERS) that demonstrate the opposite

Oh and gg with the Anita gif, one of the most sexist and racist people in the industry.

Guys, Let's keep anger at bay..

Community first..

We're all on the gekhak, because real life is less gud' .. 

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 22:31:04 »

Community first..

I gotta agree with you man
I almost responded to that with more inflammatory stuff and had to stop myself... geekhack is the least toxic communities I've been to in a while, and I hope it stays that way.
+1 to catpiss tho

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 22:41:08 »

Community first..

I almost responded to that with more inflammatory stuff and had to stop myself... geekhack is the least toxic communities I've been to in a while, and I hope it stays that way.
+1 to catpiss tho
Dang I guess cat piss really stuck huh?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 22:59:08 »

I have no idea who she is, I googled "woman popcorn gif" and thought it looked funny.

And guys, this is exactly why I said you don't want to go down this path, instead of dealing with the actual issue, you guys want to argue how you think I was purposely trying to make a blanket statement (which I was not and I apologize if you think that was my intent), and we get nowhere, so good job for once again doing exactly as expected and derailing the discussion because it's all about you.  :thumb:
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 23:00:34 »

Community first..

+1 to catpiss tho
Dang I guess cat piss really stuck huh?

It's infinitely better than captsis, it has attitude and style, as well as an origin story. Embrace the title we have given you, and ascend

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 23:11:31 »

I have no idea who she is, I googled "woman popcorn gif" and thought it looked funny.

And guys, this is exactly why I said you don't want to go down this path, instead of dealing with the actual issue, you guys want to argue how you think I was purposely trying to make a blanket statement (which I was not and I apologize if you think that was my intent), and we get nowhere, so good job for once again doing exactly as expected and derailing the discussion because it's all about you.  :thumb:

We at the gekhak greatly appreciate user -Leslieann- for her generous contribution of the female perspective..

Though different opinions exist among the numerous details, we all identify as gekhckrs and each gekhckr's views are valued.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 23:14:02 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2018, 01:13:32 by captsis »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:45:12 »
Sorry guys, I can't continue this conversation.

Like I said, I'm sorry if you were offended and I have removed the picture, it was unintentional.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 01:19:40 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iri

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 03:33:13 »
****, I missed all the drama. What picture was here?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 00:43:29 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 08:15:06 »
I'm super female

lol
Yeah, okay.  ;)

//Recalls beehatch = verified Female

But sppose these days, you never know, what with the cosmetics'n'such

Offline JP

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 20:05:23 »
From my anecdotal experience it's a guys hobby but it doesn't have to be. Perhaps it is a social construct but who knows. Just like boys who play with trucks and girls play with dolls. Give boys dolls and they use them as swords. I went to a couple keyboard meetups this year. Girls were the minority by far. At both meetups some girls were there because their boyfriend / husband was in the hobby. Some of the girls at these meetups basically sat alone looking bored while playing on a cell phone. Other though were more engaged. I spoke with one gal who typed for a living so the faster she could type the more money she would make.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 May 2018, 20:22:39 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 20:32:21 »
From my anecdotal experience it's a guys hobby but it doesn't have to be. Perhaps it is a social construct but who knows. Just like boys who play with trucks and girls play with dolls. Give boys dolls and they use them as swords. I went to a couple keyboard meetups this year. Girls were the minority by far. At both meetups some girls were there because their boyfriend / husband was in the hobby. Some of the girls at these meetups basically sat alone looking bored while playing on a cell phone. Other though were more engaged. I spoke with one gal who typed for a living so the faster she could type the more money she would make.

Lies, 

m0ar keebs = m0ar Females

It's the law.. !!

Offline JP

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 22:02:22 »

Lies, 

m0ar keebs = m0ar Females

It's the law.. !!

Show Image

Ha! By that logic I would have a line of them at my door. It's called the law of diminishing returns. At a certain point having more keyboards won't improve your prospects and more than likely will hurt your chances. Besides it would be a lot of work and energy drain having a lot of keebs AND a lot of / any females for that matter. On the other hand, having a few endgame keebs will do wonders. With the Excalibur of keebs you can become more efficient and happy at home and the workplace. With this boost of confidence and efficiency you can just about take over the world. With this confidence you become well liked and receive a promotion at work. Your status improves and you become more outgoing and attractive to women. Eventually you find the one and you become whole. Together each of you wield your keebs of choice and focus your lives to curing cancer, gardening, vegan cooking, traveling, and talking about deep stuff. Just think of the possibilities!
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.