Author Topic: Getting a new split Keyboard for work  (Read 6799 times)

Offline domsch1988

Getting a new split Keyboard for work
« on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 00:58:36 »
Hey, i've not been here for quiet some time, but my work keyboard is going down and i need some help for getting a new one. The requirements:

- Not DIY. I need to have something ready done with waranty.
- Split, Tent and "Standard" Layout (so no ortho, reverse stagger or ergodox, other people might need to use it sometimes)
- Half way "normal" looking. Its an office and i'm already the weird guy with a trackball. To make this easier i'd like something that looks business/office
- ISO Layout (I'm from Germany, so i need my ä,ö,ü and such) though with proper programability i might make other things work
- Full Set of keys. I need F-keys all the time, same for arrows and home/end. Fn and Layering are not an option for those. A full Numberblock is optional
- Reasonably priced

I'm looking at some options.
- The Freestyle 2 is the obvious one. Though coming from a cherry mechanical board, i worry the non-mechanical keys might not be that good. Can anyone comment on feel and consistency on those?
- The Matias Ergo Pro looks great too and i already liked the matias switches in my Atreus. Reports online state though, that it has problems with stuck/repeating keys. That got me worried. I need this to be reliable.
- The Freestyle Edge is the third one. It looks perfect (apart from US Layout only, but with it's programmability it shouldwork), but it's really pricy for features i don't need (LED Lighting will be turned of, it's an office not my gaming battle station. Macros are not needed, profiles aren't too. You get it).

From my research, those are basically my options. Everything else is either too cheaply made, to expensive or completely out there in terms of layout. With both Kinesis options i need to factor in the tenting kit to the price.

So my main questions:
- How is the quality of the switches on the Freestyle 2? Passable for someone coming for mechanicals or more like the 30$ logitech boards?
- Any experience with long time reliability of the Matias ergo pro? The inclusion of all accessoires makes this a better deal than the kinesis options.
- Is the price of the freestyle edge justified when i don't need any of the "gamer" features? I'd basically get it for the mechanical switches...

So yeah, that's where i'm at. For 200$+ i'd like to make the right decision and get something that lasts me a few years. Any input and other alternatives are highly appreciated.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Getting a new split Keyboard for work
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 02:19:59 »
Mistel Barocco MD600 is a split 60% within the USD 200,00 price tag, although many european retailers are out of stock.
You might wanna check if Kustom PCs or MyKeyboard.eu are restocking them anytime soon.
Alternatively MaxGaming is offering a few nordic ISO of them though with light springs.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 02:47:28 »
Nice one. Maybe for home, but for work 60% isn't an option.
It has no F-Keys, no arrows, no home/end... All of those are mandatory because of varying applications (excel, ticketing system...) and the use of a mouse with onehanded keyboard operation. So layering isn't really the solution either for that.

I know i'm not mainstream in that regard, but i really want a fullsize or TKL at least board.

I might get the Barcoo as a replacement for my gaming setup though. Really sweet.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 02:59:15 »
I'm afraid that the only split TKL with tenting is the Cherry G80-5000 which costs a large fortune.
Have you considered handwiring your own keyboard?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 03:17:07 »
I'm afraid that the only split TKL with tenting is the Cherry G80-5000 which costs a large fortune.
Have you considered handwiring your own keyboard?
As stated in OP, handwiring is not an option because of waranty (and durability? All my soldering projects until know where less than reliable...  :-[)

Also, as i said in OP, the Freestyle2, Freestyle Edge and Matias Ergo pro all fit the bill. They just have varying degrees of questions/problems attached i'm trying to fill in.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 04:03:20 »
The Ergo Pro is a lovely board, Matias supposedly fixed the dodgy failing switches but reliability can't be proved until significant time has passed and few are willing to be a 'Guinea pig' so it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.  Definitely check the one you buy is from a fairly recent batch before buying if you go this route.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 09:17:46 »
It doesn't really matter which board..

As long as you're Tented to 55* Degrees and above.. !!

Ergodox is the most convenient w/ regards to DIY tenting. !!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 10:15:31 »
Are Goldtouch keyboards still available in German layout?
Goldtouch keyboards are not mechanical though but I have been told the recent ones are quite soft and nice. There is a lockable ball hinge in-between the halves. Their very first version many years ago could be disassembled and separated into two parts but I'm not sure about their recent ones.
Both larger wired and smaller portable Bluetooth models should exist.

When looking around, chances are you might find the not fully split Fujitsu or Fujitsu-Siemens keyboard. It has been sold also as Kinesis Maxim and as Ergoption Ergosplit.
It is a rubber dome/membrane keyboard. I don't think I have tried it but I would expect it to feel very mushy because its non-ergo cousins that I have tried are horribly mushy. Also, not as far as good build quality as Kinesis Freestyle or any Goldtouch ­— the components are mounted onto the membrane and the membrane itself is also the interconnect between the halves so there is no chance of splitting it fully.
One on eBay right now.
Ergoption also has a low-profile split keyboard, the Ergoption Oyster.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 April 2018, 10:33:33 by Findecanor »

Offline TomBodet

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 12:23:35 »
FS2 isn't a bad board.  I use it at work.  It's a little mushy, the one thing I really wish it had was cherry style stems so I could put donuts under them.  Bottoming out hard is one of my problems, especially during production problems when stress rises and thinking "type easy" is forgotten.

I just got the FSEdge and wish I had gotten 2 to replace the FS2 at work.  Yeah it's overblown for work, but does feel way better.  One thing that's nice is indeed the remap capability.  I believe they also have a pre-configured dvorak layout.

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 01:42:13 »
It doesn't really matter which board..

As long as you're Tented to 55* Degrees and above.. !!
is the most convenient w/ regards to DIY tenting. !!

First, without wanting to offend, but is there a Reason you feel the need to write everything in giant teal letters? Makes your statement really hard to read.
On topic: The board doesn't matter as much IF we are talking all mechanical. Since Rubber is in the mix, i feel the actual typing feel does indeed matter.

And is there some kind of resource that got more info why 55 and above is perfect for everyone (no matter desk, screen, shouldewidth...)?

Last, as i stated in OP, the Ergodox is no option. It just has not enough keys for what i need my keyboard to do.

Are Goldtouch keyboards still available in German layout?
Goldtouch keyboards are not mechanical though but I have been told the recent ones are quite soft and nice. There is a lockable ball hinge in-between the halves. Their very first version many years ago could be disassembled and separated into two parts but I'm not sure about their recent ones.
Both larger wired and smaller portable Bluetooth models should exist.

When looking around, chances are you might find the not fully split Fujitsu or Fujitsu-Siemens keyboard. It has been sold also as Kinesis Maxim and as Ergoption Ergosplit.
It is a rubber dome/membrane keyboard. I don't think I have tried it but I would expect it to feel very mushy because its non-ergo cousins that I have tried are horribly mushy. Also, not as far as good build quality as Kinesis Freestyle or any Goldtouch ­— the components are mounted onto the membrane and the membrane itself is also the interconnect between the halves so there is no chance of splitting it fully.
One on eBay right now.
Ergoption also has a low-profile split keyboard, the Ergoption Oyster.

Yeah, the Fujitsu ones are horrible. I'll look for the Goldtouch offerings, though i don't think the halves are seperateable.

FS2 isn't a bad board.  I use it at work.  It's a little mushy, the one thing I really wish it had was cherry style stems so I could put donuts under them.  Bottoming out hard is one of my problems, especially during production problems when stress rises and thinking "type easy" is forgotten.

I just got the FSEdge and wish I had gotten 2 to replace the FS2 at work.  Yeah it's overblown for work, but does feel way better.  One thing that's nice is indeed the remap capability.  I believe they also have a pre-configured dvorak layout.

Thanks for the Input. Would you go for the Edge even though it's double the Price? Plus the US Layout for a German typist. Not sure if i can make this work. The standard MX Keys and Stems are a big Plus in this case though. I know how durable they are and The US Layout is way easier to get new caps for so...

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 03:25:10 »

One thing i forgot to ask, since you own the edge, are the two space bars sepeartely remapable keys?

Offline TomBodet

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 11:13:57 »
One thing i forgot to ask, since you own the edge, are the two space bars sepeartely remapable keys?

I.....don't know.  I'll need to fire up the editor and check.

As for price....yeah tough call.  I'm so cheap I don't even like spending other people's money. 
Is it a nice board?  yes
Was it easy to get used to? yes, layout was my main factor as it 'made sense' to me for key position; arrow keys were stacked/sized how I like them.
The FS2 was a gateway to the Edge so I had a better feel for the purchase.  I got the FS2 during my "throw money at it" phase of trying to figure out my issues. So that baby-step made it easier to me.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 16:18:46 »
If you are concerned that someone else might need to use your pc, get a standard keyboard, plug it in and stash it behind the monitor.

It sounds like you've done your homework.  I can only suggest a few that don't quite meet what you want.

Marquardt mini ergo keyboards might have a suitable layout (inc. German) turn up on ebay.de from time to time, but the switches don't feel all that nice - they are quite old now.

Datadesk smartboard - they look like a Microsoft Natural, but with columnar layout.  Alps switches (from memory - might be wrong, but def. mechanical).

IBM M15, but it's spendy.

I prefer the feel of the goldtouch over the kinesis freestyle - but the second hand Freestyle I have has had a very hard life.

Try to find a supplier that will let you return a board within x days - try those first.

What keyboard are you using now?  Why do you want/need an ergo keyboard?

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 17:48:35 »
First, without wanting to offend, but is there a Reason you feel the need to write everything in giant teal letters?

That's just tp's signature style. He is a certified spammer after all.  :rolleyes:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170