Author Topic: [GB] Duck TC-V3 Kustom Keyboard  (Read 143912 times)

Offline lootbag

Re: [GB] Duck TC-V3 Kustom Keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 07:24:53 »
You guys think silver top and black bottom is going to look weird?
Considering to change my order, hmmm

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 07:28:40 »
Not complaining that I missed out, but wasn't the buy supposed to stay open to either 100 units or May 12th? Neither was the case

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 08:00:35 »
Not complaining that I missed out, but wasn't the buy supposed to stay open to either 100 units or May 12th? Neither was the case

I was surprised too.  Perhaps Elton just hasn't had time to finish updating the spreadsheet?

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 09:23:22 »
aaarrrgghhh noooo, go on vacation one damn weekend and this goes down! dang, super sad i missed this

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:06:45 »

I'm in the same boat- haha.

Also seeing 1/2 the participants going steel plate gives me pause about my choice there too. Starting to wonder, being that this is a very unique design, better off ordering a spare pcb with the steel plate.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:47:55 »

I'm in the same boat- haha.

Also seeing 1/2 the participants going steel plate gives me pause about my choice there too. Starting to wonder, being that this is a very unique design, better off ordering a spare pcb with the steel plate.

exactly why I got 2 PCBs and both steel and aluminum plates. can desolder and swap out plates and switches if I don't like the plate, and a spare PCB just in case I screw up the first one when desoldering...

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 13:08:04 »
Saw me on the list but did not get an invoice. Should I already get one?

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 13:47:20 »
Sweet, made it!  :cool:

Offline M

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 13:50:22 »

I don't think so, I haven't gotten mine yet

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 13:50:28 »

They will be sent later on. He will announce when they are sent out and when you need to pay by (if that changed).

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 14:38:13 »
What's the best practice when it comes to order change for Duck groupbuys? Wait until the first invoice is sent out and request change, is that when duckustomkeyboards has the compiled list? Thanks.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 14:54:08 »
What's the best practice when it comes to order change for Duck groupbuys? Wait until the first invoice is sent out and request change, is that when duckustomkeyboards has the compiled list? Thanks.

Email for order changes is in the OP. I would just ask there.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 17:06:06 »
Yes, please email me for order changes. Please do it ASAP or else I would have to invoice you again or change it.

I will invoice some tonight and throughout the week.

Offline typischt

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 17:22:00 »
Hey Elton, what‘s with those other 20 or so spots that are not filled in the order sheet?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 17:37:41 »
Hey Elton, what‘s with those other 20 or so spots that are not filled in the order sheet?

Email me to get the form if anyone wants in.

Offline typischt

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 17:53:59 »

Email me to get the form if anyone wants in.
Email sent. :)

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 19:22:49 »
Awesome sauce; I’ve got some awesome plans for this build... :D

Thanks!

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 22:19:47 »

I personally think that will look amazing and almost ordered it myself.

Offline wodan

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 01:50:39 »
So many people will soon be looking at this part of the thread and wish they could travel back in time to where you could just order a Duck :)
This keyboard will be such a qt.

Offline M

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 01:52:17 »
So many people will soon be looking at this part of the thread and wish they could travel back in time to where you could just order a Duck :)
This keyboard will be such a qt.

That's why you got two, right?  :))

Offline wodan

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 01:56:06 »

That's why you got two, right?  :))

Better safe than sorry!
I've never regret getting into a GB ...

Offline elton5354

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:26:12 »
Hi all, this is a reminder that anything related to order changes should be sent to my email as per the OP. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:44:04 by elton5354 »

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 09:14:11 »
Out of curiosity: Why would one choose the offered plastic plate over steel oder aluminium? I would expect it to be inferiour regarding for example flex and noise/sound.
Is it about aesthetics?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 09:19:03 »
Out of curiosity: Why would one choose the offered plastic plate over steel oder aluminium? I would expect it to be inferiour regarding for example flex and noise/sound.
Is it about aesthetics?

If I recall correctly, it has to do with manufacturing. The plates are laser-cut and not CNC machined. Aluminum in this case would require them to use CNC services, which would be costlier than manufacturing SS and plastic plates as far as time/process/supply of raw material goes.

Plastic is not necessarily inferior as a plate. It all depends on the build and feel you are trying to accomplish. There are a lot of very high-quality keyboards with polycarbonate/plastic plates or half-plates as well, and some enthusiasts prefer them.

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 09:34:24 »
Is it about aesthetics?

If I recall correctly, it has to do with manufacturing. The plates are laser-cut and not CNC machined. Aluminum in this case would require them to use CNC services, which would be costlier than manufacturing SS and plastic plates as far as time/process/supply of raw material goes.

Plastic is not necessarily inferior as a plate. It all depends on the build and feel you are trying to accomplish. There are a lot of very high-quality keyboards with polycarbonate/plastic plates or half-plates as well, and some enthusiasts prefer them.
Interesting. Didn't expect plastic to be a thing for enthusiasts. I may try one in the future ;)

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 04:10:23 »
Is it about aesthetics?

Interesting. Didn't expect plastic to be a thing for enthusiasts. I may try one in the future ;)

I know some people who prefer PC/plastic for the plate because it has a softer bottom-out. The sound is usually also lower-pitched compared to metal plates (partly because any pinging is eliminated) so depending on the switch type, it can make for a really nice sounding board.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 04:28:26 »
Invoice paid! Been craving some unique layouts lately and this one looks awesome :cool:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 06:54:22 »
Does anyone know Alton's email? The provided one keeps bouncing

Offline typischt

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 07:02:25 »
I used the provided one and it worked without problems.. Did you change the at to @? ;) What kind of error did you get?
Paied invoice as well.

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 07:24:27 »
I used the provided one and it worked without problems.. Did you change the at to @? ;) What kind of error did you get?
Paied invoice as well.

I tried again with another email account and it worked. Thanks! Apparently my Gmail couldn't send...

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 11:16:57 »
Invoice paid! Been craving some unique layouts lately and this one looks awesome :cool:

Simple, but yet so beautiful.

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 11:18:22 »
nm, misquoted something something.

Offline damagepoint

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 21:30:14 »
I know it was mentioned that duck would distribute weight files so that we can have them made, but how much should I expect to pay for such a service?  I'm sorry this is my first custom

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 21:51:45 »
I know it was mentioned that duck would distribute weight files so that we can have them made, but how much should I expect to pay for such a service?  I'm sorry this is my first custom

I’d be interested if someone was going to run a buy on weights.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 23:53:43 »

typically it's around $60-80 depending on board and material
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 10:01:52 »

Also keep in mind that the weight for this board truly is just to add weight, as it won't be visible when the kit is fully assembled.

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 10:05:33 »
smittysteve is looking into running a weight GB for the Jetfire. I also know Mechmerlin has ran GBs for weights for Duck's other smaller boards.

Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:54:59 »
Paid for 2! Now the fun begins.

BTW, these are weighted at 3.5kg shipped. Are weights still necessary/recommended? They'd be mighty heavy otherwise. Curious though...

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 21:56:09 »

BTW, these are weighted at 3.5kg shipped. Are weights still necessary/recommended? They'd be mighty heavy otherwise. Curious though...

Adding a weight to a board is 80% just adding more money/premium things into the board and 20% to make it heavier. Its not worth it but it does make it heavier and its an extra $80 you can throw into your already overly expensive board.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 00:47:06 »

Adding a weight to a board is 80% just adding more money/premium things into the board and 20% to make it heavier. Its not worth it but it does make it heavier and its an extra $80 you can throw into your already overly expensive board.

Shush!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 01:45:34 »

yeah

it doesn't really do anything
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 13:57:42 »

yeah

Hey in event of Zombie invasion, my boards with brass weights can be used as fairly lethal bludgeoning weapons...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 14:33:19 »

yeah

Hey in event of Zombie invasion, my boards with brass weights can be used as fairly lethal bludgeoning weapons...

honestly, tru

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 14:43:09 »
honestly, tru

What other incentive could we need?  Put me down for two  :))

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 13:14:09 »
smittysteve is looking into running a weight GB for the Jetfire. I also know Mechmerlin has ran GBs for weights for Duck's other smaller boards.

I've reached out to smittysteve.  He's agreed to request the files for the TC-v3 and try to include them in his GB.  smittysteve will be posting an IC in a week or so for weights for a few different Duck boards and there will be a TC-v3 option.  So if this is something you'd like, be sure to respond to his IC.

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 18:01:30 »
Hello all... IC is up for the weights:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95953.0

Offline nonpolar

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:54:27 »
Does anyone know Duck's next project after this?

Offline mindxthinker

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 00:03:14 »

Orion v3

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 05:09:20 »

Orion v3

Any source for that? I heard he's done making 'normal' layouts and sticks to doing weird stuff like Jetfire, TC-V3 and such for now.

He posted this a month ago on his instagram: