Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 157340 times)

Offline clik_clak

Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #750 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:31:59 »
MMMMMM...Carbon Cadet!

Offline mimalik

« Reply #751 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:33:40 »
So Carbon Cadet Alphas is dropping as well or just Oblotzky fanatasies? I sincerely hope it does.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #752 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:35:36 »
So Carbon Cadet Alphas is dropping as well or just Oblotzky fanatasies? I sincerely hope it does.

Yes Carbon Cadet is dropping too ;)

Offline mimalik

« Reply #753 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:39:28 »

Yes Carbon Cadet is dropping too ;)

YESSSSSS!!!! Thx u both tons, best back to back drops ever, SC n Carbon with enough variety to play around set combos for ages.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #754 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 17:15:48 »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #755 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 17:26:06 »
For people who are wondering about the "Umka" word. It does mean "bear" in Chukchi language and where the Chukchi live, are white bears common. Ofc. white bears are not really white but rather beige. Also Umka is a lovely cartoon from my childhood featuring a white baby bear. So overall there is some meaning to the name for the Umka modifiers kit. I wanted always to make a Umka keyset so here it is but as an extension kit.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #756 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 20:29:23 »
WTF am I seeing here???  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was really hoping to get the grey cadet alpha to go with the Ivory oops Umka mods but now all sorts of crazy thoughts are going here.

If I want best compatibility and economy, Bone base + Carbon cadet is best, but then I would love that Bone Icon kit too. Then there's the full Umka option = Umka mods + carbon cadet -> missing number row, Rolling bones can fix that. But then missing spacebar, what do I do now?

Damn you!!! (in the nicest sense of the word) my wallet is screaming already  :-\

EDIT1: if I got Bone base + Umka + Rolling Bone + Bone Icon that will cover 2 boards now, 1 TKL & 1 60-65% ish, of course have to be different spacebar size cause there's no spacebar kit here. You see what I'm talking about here man? Crazy thoughts, crazy...
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2018, 20:37:39 by thelaughingman »

Offline Hamel

• KBDLAB
« Reply #757 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 00:14:08 »
Wait, so a salty kit will include only carbon colorways or all the other colorways displayed in render?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #758 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 01:09:35 »
Wait, so a salty kit will include only carbon colorways or all the other colorways displayed in render?
Every kit displays the keys it will come with.

WTF am I seeing here???  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Show Image

I was really hoping to get the grey cadet alpha to go with the Ivory oops Umka mods but now all sorts of crazy thoughts are going here.

If I want best compatibility and economy, Bone base + Carbon cadet is best, but then I would love that Bone Icon kit too. Then there's the full Umka option = Umka mods + carbon cadet -> missing number row, Rolling bones can fix that. But then missing spacebar, what do I do now?

Damn you!!! (in the nicest sense of the word) my wallet is screaming already  :-\

EDIT1: if I got Bone base + Umka + Rolling Bone + Bone Icon that will cover 2 boards now, 1 TKL & 1 60-65% ish, of course have to be different spacebar size cause there's no spacebar kit here. You see what I'm talking about here man? Crazy thoughts, crazy...

Keep in mind Carbon Cadet is missing not only numbers but other alphas to fill a standard alphas layout. Its not complete alphas but only necessary ones to make it cheaper and affordable.

On the other hand 40% user may utilize the Carbon Cadet without need to buy one of the base sets. The 4 missing alphas can be filled with some novelties for example ;)

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #759 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 05:15:07 »
just a question - The base kit uses text + icon which is great, but why do all the other kits dropping only use Icon Only?

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #760 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 07:09:48 »
Keep in mind Carbon Cadet is missing not only numbers but other alphas to fill a standard alphas layout. Its not complete alphas but only necessary ones to make it cheaper and affordable.

On the other hand 40% user may utilize the Carbon Cadet without need to buy one of the base sets. The 4 missing alphas can be filled with some novelties for example ;)

Now Novelties is in the mix... my poor brain  :-X

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #761 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 12:20:27 »
just a question - The base kit uses text + icon which is great, but why do all the other kits dropping only use Icon Only?

Just answered it on the first page: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96488.msg2633872#msg2633872
Read the last answer.

Also it brings variety some like only icons some like icons and words...

Offline mimalik

« Reply #762 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 12:50:22 »

Now Novelties is in the mix... my poor brain  :-X

I know your pain, I only wanted orange alphas, I will end up getting most of the kits, including umka, carbon cadet.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #763 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 17:20:04 »
Drop page is open: Link

I will close this IC thread tomorrow or when drop goes live.

Anyway you can discuss here the MOQ and Pricing sheet. I will answer also questions if you got any.

Offline itskuroi

« Reply #764 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 17:22:19 »
exciting! carbon was the first gmk set ive bought on massdrop and it'll probably be the last

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #765 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 17:34:48 »
Ooooofffff. First some constructive criticism. Love the work put into this and the info page. What I’m missing is more renders of the sets on keyboards. At the very least bone base, something with bizar and something with bone alpha’s.

Even though I really really want(ed) to join this, with the kits I would like (bone base, space, novel and salt) I’m looking at a potential price of somewhere between $300 and $400 (already calculated custom fees here). I think I’m gonna have to pass.

But.... glws!!! :) Hope it does amazing and all these prices drop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline megaforce

« Reply #766 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 17:48:28 »
gimme dat hiragana alpha pack
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #767 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 17:54:27 »
Ooooofffff. First some constructive criticism. Love the work put into this and the info page. What I’m missing is more renders of the sets on keyboards. At the very least bone base, something with bizar and something with bone alpha’s.

Even though I really really want(ed) to join this, with the kits I would like (bone base, space, novel and salt) I’m looking at a potential price of somewhere between $300 and $400 (already calculated custom fees here). I think I’m gonna have to pass.

But.... glws!!! :) Hope it does amazing and all these prices drop!

I rendered every combination that makes sense I think, though they are spread across the pages, so here they are again all in one place:

Offline mimalik

« Reply #768 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 18:09:41 »
Definitely eye watering experience after tallying prices on kits, hopefully everything hits 500+, still gonna go with umka, beezarre, cadet, warning signs r1 and will see the #s for rest. With CDN-US exch rate as is + import duties. I think this may be my last set till next summer, totally worth it.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #769 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 18:15:40 »
Guess I’m either blind or iPad browsing on Massdrop isn’t working as I hoped :P Probably the first. It’s late, should go to bed.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #770 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 19:11:12 »
As i've said previously, the prices are beefy. And there is a reason for it. The coverage is very generous and there are also new molds for the R5 1.25u keys. Overall the pricing is justified but it does not change the fact that those are expensive.

However i suggest not to focus on initial pricing. Look through the higher MOQs and decide what you really need and join for those kits. At the end you always free to leave the drop or change the order if specific kits don't meet your desired MOQ.

Offline 8six753o9

« Reply #771 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 19:44:36 »
I think the price of the base kit is fine compared to some other kits I’ve seen *cough*GMK DMG*cough*.   The prices for the Umka mods and Beezaree/Boneyard alphas are a little higher than I expected, but I guess that’s why it’s cheaper to buy mods/alphas in one base kit instead of buying mods and alphas separately.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #772 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 19:52:05 »
I think the price of the base kit is fine compared to some other kits I’ve seen *cough*GMK DMG*cough*.   The prices for the Umka mods and Beezaree/Boneyard alphas are a little higher than I expected, but I guess that’s why it’s cheaper to buy mods/alphas in one base kit instead of buying mods and alphas separately.

The separated Umka mods and one of the alphas is actually the reason (about which i talked previously) for not splitting base sets. Compared to a base set its ~60$ more expensive at 250 moq. But also Umka mods are expensive because they have MOQ of 50 like NorDeUK kit and DC kit.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #773 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:03:12 »
As i've said previously, the prices are beefy. And there is a reason for it. The coverage is very generous and there are also new molds for the R5 1.25u keys. Overall the pricing is justified but it does not change the fact that those are expensive.

However i suggest not to focus on initial pricing. Look through the higher MOQs and decide what you really need and join for those kits. At the end you always free to leave the drop or change the order if specific kits don't meet your desired MOQ.

Definitely, I think prices are reasonable for what we are getting, I think most have eyes on multiple kits, which just add up. Overall not as expensive as I was expecting, slightly higher but reasonable. I had initially eight kits planned. I am going for 4 kits that I always intended others may be if my wallet allows it.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #774 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:16:50 »

+1. Happy to see cadet but I wish the cadet alphas were offered in the Boneyard Alphas Kit colorway as well. :(

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:23:23 by Wetherbee »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #775 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 21:01:17 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2018, 21:04:45 by otanishock »

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #776 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 21:18:52 »

+1. Happy to see cadet but I wish the cadet alphas were offered in the Boneyard Alphas Kit colorway as well. :(

+1 Strongly~

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #777 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 23:24:50 »
I want something like this but for ANSI TKL

Right now my thinking is along the line of Umka mods + Carbon Cadet + Rolling Bones but then would have no spacebar and best price possible is $213. Have I gone mad?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline silversung

« Reply #778 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 00:02:12 »
I am torn between the two warning sign kits. R0? R1? Logically, I prefer 65% or less, so I should go for the R1 but I just WANT that outrageous and unique R0 keys. I don't have enough keyboards to put all of my key caps anyway, maybe I should get the R0 and an additional full-size keyboard? For show? AAAARRRGGHHH My poor wallet.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #779 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 00:20:18 »
Wuddsy

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #780 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 04:08:27 »
I don't think ive ever been this excited for a drop. I'm going to lose a chunk of my bank account to this set and I don't even care.  ;D ;D

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #781 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 04:30:50 »
I don't think ive ever been this excited for a drop. I'm going to lose a chunk of my bank account to this set and I don't even care.  ;D ;D

Same here, this looks amazing! And it’s only expensive if you need lots of options, the base sets are already great on their own.

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #782 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 04:35:01 »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #783 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 04:58:27 »
This is probably a stupid question, but why is there a difference between Function and Number row warning signs?

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #784 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 05:24:32 »
This is probably a stupid question, but why is there a difference between Function and Number row warning signs?
A difference in price? GMK will have to make molds for R0 warning signs, and that's expensive for them. The molds for R1 warning signs are already made since GMK Carbon first dropped a couple of years ago.

R0 keys are also taller, so they use more plastic, but I don't think that should reflect on the price.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2018, 05:52:31 by Endeavour1934 »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #785 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 11:31:30 »
(Attachment Link)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

At the moment GMK cant produce R0 as effective (probably not enough molds for R0) as R1 to make it cheaper :/
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2018, 14:58:02 by T0mb3ry »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #786 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 16:27:19 »
I am closing this IC thread.

Click here for the GB thread

Overall i am glad i started this IC approximately 3 months before the drop. That gave me valuable time to make it the way it is right now.

I want to thank everyone who provided here feedback for this IC. Thank you!

Best,
T0mb3ry