Author Topic: Logitech G5 Mouse Cleanout & Paintjob  (Read 10151 times)

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
Logitech G5 Mouse Cleanout & Paintjob
« on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 18:45:04 »
I bought a used "as is" Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse about 10 years ago after my first one took a crap. The used one was not in usable condition but I got it for $5. The feet were scratched to heck, the scroll wheel was stuck, left click wouldn't click, etc. I disassembled it and gave it good cleaning, that's all it needed. I've been using it as one of my mains ever since and I decided it needed another touch-up cleaning recently. While it was in pieces I decided to give it one of those Trans Am-type paintjobs. I think it turned out pretty snazzy. I used gold spray paint for the main piece and a gold paint pen and ink for the scarab, followed by several coats of clear spray sealant.
After 15 years of use and/or abuse the rubberized coating on the sides became sticky so I rubbed it off with an alternating combination of rubbing alcohol, Solvent Green, and WD40. Man, that crap was difficult to rub off! But now it's shiny and smooth to the touch.  :thumb:
I love this mouse!

1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

Re: Logitech G5 Mouse Cleanout & Paintjob
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 10:29:27 »
Thanks, TP  :cool:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline dr@gNdr0p

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 01:23:09 »
Nice work. The G5 is my favorite mouse for nostalgic reasons and I'm always thrilled to see mods on it. I've been crawling the internet looking for datasheets as I'd like to mod and restore my own. If you would just-a-so-happen to have any references on the Logitech G5 hardware or part numbers etc. I'd very much appreciate a share. At some point I'd like to make my own post with all of the data I've collected on this old great mouse.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 February 2022, 04:24:51 by dr@gNdr0p »

Offline smarmar

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 13:04:10 »
Nice work. The G5 is my favorite mouse for nostalgic reasons and I'm always thrilled to see mods on it. I've been crawling the internet looking for datasheets as I'd like to mod and restore my own. If you would just-a-so-happen to have any references on the Logitech G5 hardware or part numbers etc. I'd very much appreciate a share. At some point I'd like to make my own post with all of the data I've collected on this old great mouse.

I don't have any info on it, sorry. I know next to nothing about the hardware or software that goes into the equipment I use. I just know how to take them apart and clean 'em out (usually without breaking them). :thumb: All I did was search for videos on how to disassemble/clean a mouse. The G5 is such an iconic mouse that you'd probably have no trouble doing a search for parts.