Author Topic: [IC] PuLSE SA Keyset (GET YOUR WALLET! - GB LIVE SEPT 8th 12:00 PST)  (Read 102555 times)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Make the rows like the Commando 23 set, and also add on an 1800 compatibility pack like the toxic set had. Maybe even consider selecting a more "electric" blue color from a pantone chart. 8x size spacebar and maybe even 9x size would be greatly appreciated.

Pantone color 801 is a neon blue color that would look awesome in this set:

Show Image

The prices were set to cover a Sculpted SA PuLSE keyset. I don't know if Commando is Sculpted or Row-3 but for reference, Penumbra is Sculpted. Also, we will stick to the blue BBJ tone because of techinical specs but I'll agree that Pantone is great.

penumbra isnt sculted, its row 3

Keypuller info is wrong then, and I couldn't find it on Penumbra's OP. Gotta warn them.

EDIT: Actually, it's not Keypuller's fault that I mentioned that Penumbra was sculpted.

Show Image

so when people say row 3 with sa, they dont mean all keys are row 3

a row 3 profile sa set has 4 profiles
the bottom row and the top 2 are all different profiles

then the 3 alpha rows are all row 3

by doing this, it means people who use alt layouts have an easier time, whilst still maintaining some shape for ergonomics

also

i have no idea what keypuller is but it hasnt contacted me to ask anything about penumbra

It's a Keyset databse, but they didn't mention specifically which row/sculpted Penumbra was. I assumed it was sculpted because of the info in Ctrl.Alt. Thanks for the clarification, but now I'm a bit confused. jdcarpe mentioned 3-1-2-3-4-3 and you said that the 3 Alpha rows are Row 3.

What is SP going to do with PuLSE? Any ideas or I gotta ask them?

its not what SP does, its what you decide, this is your design, you have to decide what profile you want to run it in, so that people can make a decision whether or not to buy it
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/images/key-caps/angle5.jpg

here is a picture of the sa profiles

the one labelled 4 is the one that i personally dislike, which is why we replaced it in penumbra, as to me it was awkward, sop we use row 3 instead

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
Make the rows like the Commando 23 set, and also add on an 1800 compatibility pack like the toxic set had. Maybe even consider selecting a more "electric" blue color from a pantone chart. 8x size spacebar and maybe even 9x size would be greatly appreciated.

Show Image

The prices were set to cover a Sculpted SA PuLSE keyset. I don't know if Commando is Sculpted or Row-3 but for reference, Penumbra is Sculpted. Also, we will stick to the blue BBJ tone because of techinical specs but I'll agree that Pantone is great.

Keypuller info is wrong then, and I couldn't find it on Penumbra's OP. Gotta warn them.

EDIT: Actually, it's not Keypuller's fault that I mentioned that Penumbra was sculpted.

Show Image

by doing this, it means people who use alt layouts have an easier time, whilst still maintaining some shape for ergonomics

also

i have no idea what keypuller is but it hasnt contacted me to ask anything about penumbra

It's a Keyset databse, but they didn't mention specifically which row/sculpted Penumbra was. I assumed it was sculpted because of the info in Ctrl.Alt. Thanks for the clarification, but now I'm a bit confused. jdcarpe mentioned 3-1-2-3-4-3 and you said that the 3 Alpha rows are Row 3.

its not what SP does, its what you decide, this is your design, you have to decide what profile you want to run it in, so that people can make a decision whether or not to buy it

We are going with sculptured (3-1-2-3-3-3). Are the ergonomics too affected in this profile?

EDIT: You answered while I was typing. But I need a reference to understand this image, because I don't know if the bottom or the Esc row is excluded. Which one is excluded?
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:36:19 by MiTo »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT

Show Image

Show Image

also

We are going with sculptured (3-1-2-3-4-3). Are the ergonomics too affected in this profile?

its all personal preference, personally i dont like having the 4 shape because i dont like the bottom of it kicking out so much when transitioning from the bottom row

there will be people who like one thing and people who like the other

this is your thing, look at the options, and decide what it is you want accordingly

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
75272-0

stole this from another thread it should help illustrate a little more

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
(Attachment Link)

And I stole this. I think it fits PuLSE perfectly.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

I believe this is what 'most' of the SA buys have done, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

This looks best imo
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

I believe this is what 'most' of the SA buys have done, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

looks correct to me

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

I'm not sure, but I think that (1-2-3-3-3-4) is the SA standard sculptured profile. Can anybody confirm?
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:48:00 by MiTo »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
About finishes, we've got semi-matte top and sides, gloss top and sides, matte top w/ semi-matte sides. If we go for the (1-2-3-3-3-4) setup, she already mentioned that 1.25 mods are only available on matte top w/ semi-matte sides.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:51:03 by MiTo »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
You seem to be in the interest check phase to me. I do not believe that this thread should exist as a gb thread. If you have issues with ic threads going off topic you should handle that issue, you don't just make a new thread.

Also, I like this color way but I am not comfortable with someone so inexperienced running it. No offense to you, but there are a lot of things to consider and we've had some guys with lots of ambition just miss a few key details due to not knowing all the intricacies.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.

I had no idea this was how Penumbra was setup, honestly.

For instance, Nuclear Data, which is currently running, is all-row-3. As in everything.

And no offense is intended, as you well know Bunny, but I highly recommend AGAINST making all the alphas in row 3 profile. It's a compromise. People who want a uniform profile set have that already, with the Nuclear Data set. So no need to compromise with this buy, right?

If MiTo runs this in 3-1-2-3-4-3 row profiles, it would be the one of the first correctly sculpted SA keysets (the other being R5, which uses row 1 for the F-row). Why miss that opportunity?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
You seem to be in the interest check phase to me. I do not believe that this thread should exist as a gb thread. If you have issues with ic threads going off topic you should handle that issue, you don't just make a new thread.

Also, I like this color way but I am not comfortable with someone so inexperienced running it. No offense to you, but there are a lot of things to consider and we've had some guys with lots of ambition just miss a few key details due to not knowing all the intricacies.

I'm finishing details because the Interest Check is scheduled to end tomorrow.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS. :'(

Non-buy for me if it's done this way. As you already stated, 1.25x Row 4 mods are available in matte finish only.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

For instance, Nuclear Data, which is currently running, is all-row-3. As in everything.

And no offense is intended, as you well know Bunny, but I highly recommend AGAINST making all the alphas in row 3 profile. It's a compromise. People who want a uniform profile set have that already, with the Nuclear Data set. So no need to compromise with this buy, right?

If MiTo runs this in 3-1-2-3-4-3 row profiles, it would be the one of the first correctly sculpted SA keysets (the other being R5, which uses row 1 for the F-row). Why miss that opportunity?

I'd buy a fully sculpted set to try out but would much prefer reverse mods to have a uniform board.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT

penumbra was the same profile as commando

much like you jd, i dont really think that that is the right way to go, and is why i have encouraged him to not follow suit and pick for himself

everyone will disagree with me, but the way sa keys are shaped, im not convinced there is a true correct way to have them for a standard layout, to me whatever is chosen, is a compromise and part of the reason SA really isnt for me

that being said, some people clearly love it, and lots of people will have an opinion on this

personally, i would be very interested to here the OPs opinion on SA, and the SA sets he owns and or has used, so that we can understand a little behind his decision making in this set

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい

I believe that people is going to buy PuLSE because of the look, not because Alphas are on Row Y or Mods are on Row X. Also, we can't go for 3-1-2-3-4-3 because SP can't make Row 4 Shifts. (1-2-3-3-3-4) is most likely what's going to be.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい

I believe that people is going to buy PuLSE because of the look, not because Alphas are on Row Y or Mods are on Row X. Also, we can't go for 3-1-2-3-4-3 because SP can't make Row 4 Shifts. (1-2-3-3-3-4) is most likely what's going to be.

EDIT: Matte finish a no-go?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT

as a word of warning, a lot of people consider the profile to be the primary reason to buy, and then use the aesthetic as a secondary reason, its all well and good having a nice looking set, but first and foremost it has to be a good set to type on, dont take the decision lightly, or undervalue the importance of the profile
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 13:04:44 by BunnyLake »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
 :-X

I'm going to wish you luck on this set but I'm best to just avoid this thread and this buy.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

PLEASE

in memoriam

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい

Here's why I believe that 1-2-3-3-3-4 is the way to go. Ergonomically, it would be a confortable set to type on and aesthetically, it would look great. This continuous "arch" concept is beautiful to the eye and the same concept is applied on Cafe Racer motorcycles.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Show Image

Here's why I believe that 1-2-3-3-3-4 is the way to go. Ergonomically, it would be a confortable set to type on and aesthetically, it would look great. This continuous "arch" concept is beautiful to the eye and the same concept is applied on Cafe Racer motorcycles.

But have you ever typed on a set like that? The alpha area seems "flat" and not ergonomic to type on at all.

in memoriam

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい

I'm going to wish you luck on this set but I'm best to just avoid this thread and this buy.

We've got great ideas and we're trying to make something good and unique together. I'm not a pro when it comes to keyboards and I'm trying my best to make something nice to everybody. Everything will be fine because great people are helping me. Feel free to join them instead of quitting.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Show Image

But have you ever typed on a set like that? The alpha area seems "flat" and not ergonomic to type on at all.

i asked for his experience with sa sets and his opinions on them a few posts ago, im looking forward to reading them

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

We've got great ideas and we're trying to make something good and unique together. I'm not a pro when it comes to keyboards and I'm trying my best to make something nice to everybody. Everything will be fine because great people are helping me. Feel free to join them instead of quitting.

I don't want to keep sounding critical but as jd pointed out, have you ever even used SA caps?

And as hoffman pointed out seems like this set could still use quite a bit of interest checking.

Just because people voted on the PMK website doesn't mean anything because they to don't have a clue what they are voting for.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
Show Image

I can't really tell if I ever typed on a set like this but probably not. Do you believe that it would be unconfortable? A flat alpha area may be an attractive to gamers who needs to switch positions with the fingers quickly.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Show Image

I can't really tell if I ever typed on a set like this but probably not. Do you believe that it would be unconfortable? A flat alpha area may be an attractive to gamers who needs to switch positions with the fingers quickly.

on this point i will add as a gamer, what is very important in gaming is switching between keys quickly, but being able to identify which keys they are switching to without looking is equally if not more important
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 13:12:00 by BunnyLake »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
Show Image

i asked for his experience with sa sets and his opinions on them a few posts ago, im looking forward to reading them

Didn't see your question before but no, I never typed on a set like that. I never typed on a keyboard with Commando, Penumbra or R5. But in my life I already used machines (industrial stuff) with terminals that used buttons similar to the SA profile (curved) and my opinion is that on the edges of the terminal, pointy keycaps seem enough so you are aware where the typing area ends.

EDIT: When I say "pointy" I'm talking about no. 1 and no. 4 on the picture below.

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 13:23:29 by MiTo »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Also, sculpted caps make for shorter reach for the fingers when transitioning from one row to another.

in memoriam

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
Show Image

Didn't see your question before but no, I never typed on a set like that. I never typed on a keyboard with Commando, Penumbra or R5. But in my life I already used machines (industrial stuff) with terminals that used buttons similar to the SA profile (curved) and my opinion is that on the edges of the terminal, pointy keycaps seem enough so you are aware when the typing area ends.

EDIT: When I say "pointy" I'm talking about no. 1 and no. 4 on the picture below.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
Just FYI you are not editing your posts, you are quoting them.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
FYI, I don't even care about the colorway or the specialty legends. I really don't even care about the Cherry replica legends. All I care about is sculpted SA profile. If this set is done in a "no compromises" way, I'll buy in, possibly heavily. But a compromised row profile, and I'm out completely.

in memoriam

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
Just FYI you are not editing your posts, you are quoting them.

I noticed it on the previous post.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator

FYI, I don't even care about the colorway or the specialty legends. I really don't even care about the Cherry replica legends. All I care about is sculpted SA profile. If this set is done in a "no compromises" way, I'll buy in, possibly heavily. But a compromised row profile, and I'm out completely.

I do care about the color way but I also would like to see the profile as jd describes. We have enough sa sets coming out around now that I want to see something new profile-wise.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
We gotta consider that the space bar in Row 3 so I've got 2 ideas here.

This is really close to what JD mentioned, and I think it looks better with a more curved Esc-row.

The second image is really close to the terminal I used on the cabinetry company.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 13:34:29 by MiTo »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
The reason I suggest Row 3 for the F-row is to facilitate the use of novelty SA-profile keycaps for Esc, etc., which are typically made in Row 3 profile. Such as the recent SA Vim key.

in memoriam

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
The reason I suggest Row 3 for the F-row is to facilitate the use of novelty SA-profile keycaps for Esc, etc., which are typically made in Row 3 profile. Such as the recent SA Vim key.

If we're considering key-mixing, then I believe PuLSE should be DCS.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

What does using an SA profile 3 novelty key on the F-Row have anything to do with key mixing??

I really think you need to step back and re-evalute what you are doing because you have a lot to learn.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい

What does using an SA profile 3 novelty key on the F-Row have anything to do with key mixing??

Because I'm planning to use profile 2 or 1 on the F-Row to keep the arch feel. And if we are considering F-Row on profile 3, that would be exclusively to fit non-PuLSE novelties. Also, the GEEK HACK, /r/MK and MX keycaps could be done absolutely in profile 1, 2 or even 3. But I believe that 3 would be right so people with keyboards like the Keycool 84 could use them on the 1x1 non-standard mods.

Edit: I absolutely have a lot to learn but I will not step back. If you want to quit because I'm not an expert on the subject "keyboard keycap SA profiles", feel free to do so as I already told you. This problem could be easily solved by simply changing the PuLSE design to the DCS profile and yet, we would have an insanely beautiful set. And cheaper, by the way.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 13:53:00 by MiTo »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
I'm just trying to help you. You can use my suggestions, or not. I would suggest that if you don't want row 3 for the F-row, use row 1, as 7bit's Round 5 does. Anyway, it's your GB and you should run it how you want. People are free to buy, or not. If you prefer to make it in DCS, then by all means, please do that. You just need to decide what is best for your buy, and whether you want to use the advice given to you, or not.

in memoriam

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
I'm just trying to help you. You can use my suggestions, or not. I would suggest that if you don't want row 3 for the F-row, use row 1, as 7bit's Round 5 does. Anyway, it's your GB and you should run it how you want. People are free to buy, or not. If you prefer to make it in DCS, then by all means, please do that. You just need to decide what is best for your buy, and whether you want to use the advice given to you, or not.

I know and apreciate it, thank you for your patience and time. I tried to find something that would be good for most people but at this time, I believe I'll just make what I believe it's right. I know that a GB starter should listen to everybody ideas but sometimes things run out of control. I won't even mention the hate because I'm not an expert but you know what, I believe the final result will be great. And I will definitely use these e experiences I'm having on future ideas. Final decision, 1-2-3-3-3-4 because SP can't make the shift keys on profile 4.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

I know and apreciate it, thank you for your patience and time. I tried to find something that would be good for most people but at this time, I believe I'll just make what I believe it's right. I know that a GB starter should listen to everybody ideas but sometimes things run out of control. I won't even mention the hate because I'm not an expert but you know what, I believe the final result will be great. And I will definitely use these e experiences I'm having on future ideas. Final decision, 1-2-3-3-3-4 because SP can't make the shift keys on profile 4.

Okay, but if you're really basing your final decision on the fact that SP doesn't have molds for Shift keys in Row 4 profile, just know that in a couple months, they WILL have those molds. And you could always run a mini-GB at that time just for Row 4 Shift keys. Or hold off on starting the GB until then. But that's your desicion to make. Me, I vote with my wallet around here.

in memoriam

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい

Okay, but if you're really basing your final decision on the fact that SP doesn't have molds for Shift keys in Row 4 profile, just know that in a couple months, they WILL have those molds. And you could always run a mini-GB at that time just for Row 4 Shift keys. Or hold off on starting the GB until then. But that's your desicion to make. Me, I vote with my wallet around here.

I had an idea. I'll PM you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 14:47:53 by MiTo »

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
I would like to see X-1-2-3-4-3. The function row doesn't concern me too much. I like 1 but I  can see how 3 would work fine.

Offline pasph

Someone give a 3-1-2-3-4-3 to jd PLEASE!
All row 3 it's good for international kits but no one will do those in any case.
Still undecided between SA and DCS?  :confused:
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
As far as the ergodox kit, will the 1.5u and 2u keys be all R3?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

If no one wants to, I may do it myself, or with the help of another interested party.

in memoriam

Offline pasph

If no one wants to, I may do it myself, or with the help of another interested party.

Waiting  :thumb:
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"