Author Topic: Gateron Black Vs Khail Brown  (Read 8390 times)

Offline KeyNinji

• Nothing like the feel of Khails in the morning
Gateron Black Vs Khail Brown
« on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 05:59:56 »
1. Can anyone compare Gateron Black switch to a Khail Brown switch? Specifically, are Gateron blacks stiffer (more resistance) than Khail browns?
2. Can you compare/describe the feel of Gateron blacks in general to other switches?

Khail browns is one of my favorite switches as far as the amount of force/resistance to activate the key.

Any feedback on the Gateron black would be appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:15:14 by KeyNinji »

Favorite switches at the moment: Khail Browns | Cherry Browns

Offline Harms

Re: Gateron Black Vs Khail Brown
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 23:10:48 »
I dont have a Gat black board. However, gateron Linears are smoother then their cherry counterparts. This also goes for the tactile variants but is i less noticeable on them. The gateron blacks actuate at 55g which i got from one source. The Kailh browns are 45g. The gat blacks are going to feel heavier, they are also linear not tactile like the kailh brown. You should look into Gat browns if you want a tactile smooth switch that is like the kailh brown switch.

You cant really compare them since one is tactile and one is linear. That comes to personal preference if you prefer linearity or tactility. Since you said you like the weight of the kailh brown you should be comparing the kailh brown to gat red since its basically the same actuation force as the kailh brown.

Offline KeyNinji

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 05:32:39 »
Thanks for the feedback Harms. Those are good points.

I figured the Gateron black would be a little heavier. And your right about the tactile vs linear which I'm not too concerned since I've used Cherry red and didn't mind linear switches.

I'm typing with the Khail browns now, and to me at least, the Khail brown switches feel heavier than Cherry brown counterpart (I have a Cherry brown WASD V2). Again, this is what I feel and others may differ.

I'm thinking the gat blacks "might" end up in the same ball park as far as the "stiffness" goes like the Khails.

I've owned the WASD code before (MX clear switches) and those were too heavy for me. I ended up selling that board to a friend.

Offline Harms

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:29:42 »
If you don't like the stiffness of clears then you wont like Gat blacks. I think you should go with  Gat brown or red :). There also smoother then the kailh switches.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:33:25 »
You can't even really compare blacks versus browns... they're different kinds of switches. Personally I prefer linear of the tactility of browns, but that's mostly a personal preference thing. Out of all the market brown switches, I would say Gateron makes the best ones (some would say Greetech), while gateron unquestionably makes the best blacks (although if you can get your hands on some vintage blacks, they're probably preferable).
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:36:51 »
Apples and oranges to compare these two. :-X Typically though, Gateron is going to give you better quality over Kailh. Kailh is not as bad as many people make them out to be, but they aren't that great compared to Gateron. 

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 03:34:44 »

I figured the Gateron black would be a little heavier. And your right about the tactile vs linear which I'm not too concerned since I've used Cherry red and didn't mind linear switches.

I'm typing with the Khail browns now, and to me at least, the Khail brown switches feel heavier than Cherry brown counterpart (I have a Cherry brown WASD V2). Again, this is what I feel and others may differ.

I'm thinking the gat blacks "might" end up in the same ball park as far as the "stiffness" goes like the Khails.

I've owned the WASD code before (MX clear switches) and those were too heavy for me. I ended up selling that board to a friend.
Should try gateron clears ;)

Offline KeyNinji

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:00:20 »
If you don't like the stiffness of clears then you wont like Gat blacks. I think you should go with  Gat brown or red :). There also smoother then the kailh switches.

I agree, Harms. The Code stiffness was terrible to me. Did a little research: The actuation force of the Cherry clears is 55 cN (maximum tactile is 65cN), the Cherry black is 60cN and the actuation of the Gat black is 50cN. Also, the clears force goes up as you push down. I found with the clears on the Code my fingers felt like they were chopping wood. They just wore out. Guess I'm a harder typer.

Anyways, my set of Gat blacks did come in (via MassDrop). They actually feel less stiff and easier on the way down than the clears on the Code felt (to me at least, but it's hard to know without them being in a keyboard with all fingers). These Gat blacks do feel very smooth. I plan on lubing these Gat blacks too if it helps make them a little lighter. I'll try them stock first to see how they feel.

You can't even really compare blacks versus browns... they're different kinds of switches. Personally I prefer linear of the tactility of browns, but that's mostly a personal preference thing. Out of all the market brown switches, I would say Gateron makes the best ones (some would say Greetech), while gateron unquestionably makes the best blacks (although if you can get your hands on some vintage blacks, they're probably preferable).

I agree, feeds, can't really directly compare, but I guess linear vs tactile isn't a deal breaker for me. My concern is stiffness/actuation of a switch. But I will say I do have Cherry blues and man did I get tired of the clicking after awhile. lol...whew  :rolleyes:  I plan to sell my WASD V2 blues in the near future.

Apples and oranges to compare these two. :-X Typically though, Gateron is going to give you better quality over Kailh. Kailh is not as bad as many people make them out to be, but they aren't that great compared to Gateron. 

Agree, E3E. I've got my Gat blacks switches here on a couple of keycaps. I'd I have to say they are smooth ... nice, so maybe some lube and they'll be like butter.  ;)

Once I get them mounted on a keyboard, we will see if they wear my fingers down like the clears did. I hope not.

Should try gateron clears ;)

I might just do that too!  :)  I think I have turned into a keyboard/switch addict. I may need help.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:08:37 »

I might just do that too!  :)  I think I have turned into a keyboard/switch addict. I may need help.
Oh my. I've owned cherry reds, clears, Browns, and blues (still own Browns and clears) also, I've got purple zealios, brown gaterons, as well as yellow and clear gaterons on the way.

Oh, and an hhkb (in the mail currently -  gg: usps) to try out all that hyped topre goodness, since I haven't tried one of those yet.

So that's what I've been through so far. I have yet to try greetech, and I'm looking into buying all the varieties of Matias for the Monarch.

I'm pretty sure I've passed the point of no return :(

Offline KeyNinji

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:14:02 »

Oh my. I've owned cherry reds, clears, Browns, and blues (still own Browns and clears) also, I've got purple zealios, brown gaterons, as well as yellow and clear gaterons on the way.

Oh, and an hhkb (in the mail currently -  gg: usps) to try out all that hyped topre goodness, since I haven't tried one of those yet.

So that's what I've been through so far. I have yet to try greetech, and I'm looking into buying all the varieties of Matias for the Monarch.

Glad to know I'm not alone in this problem.  lol ...  :))

I never heard of the greetech. Man, I'm still green I guess (no pun toward a switch intended).

Let us know how you like the gateron yellow and clears. I'm curious myself. And the topre.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:18:01 »

Glad to know I'm not alone in this problem.  lol ...  :))

I never heard of the greetech. Man, I'm still green I guess (no pun toward a switch intended).

Let us know how you like the gateron yellow and clears. I'm curious myself. And the topre.
I will, but the clears are a ways off (I bought them with the white fox, specifically because I wanted the keycaps...)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:03:49 »
I plan on lubing these Gat blacks too if it helps make them a little lighter.

No further investigation needed, you've got it right. Lubed gateron blacks are my favorite linears next to lubed vintage MX blacks (62g)

Offline jaffers

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 04:54:58 »
I bought them with the white fox, specifically because I wanted the keycaps...

W... Why would you do something like that?

But in all honesty I think that Kailh's are actually quite nice. The brown variant is better than its cherry variant and mx blacks have the perfect weighted spring in them. All they need is to have the smoothness of a gateron. Mind you kailh blacks are still smoother than cherry blacks.

Offline KeyNinji

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 08:21:58 »
But in all honesty I think that Kailh's are actually quite nice. The brown variant is better than its cherry variant and mx blacks have the perfect weighted spring in them. All they need is to have the smoothness of a gateron. Mind you kailh blacks are still smoother than cherry blacks.

I think the Khails are nice too. The Khail brown has a nice feel, but I'm thinking I might lube some of my stabs (clanky sound) and maybe even the keys themselves. Either way, the Khail is nice as is to me.

I don't have my gat blacks installed yet, but just feeling of them unmounted, they do feel smooth.

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 09:10:38 »
Apples and oranges.

Offline mattss5o

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 12:16:45 »
Hi,

Sorry in advance for reviving a dead thread. I have an Azio mgk1-k (khail brown edition) and have noticed that they are not as tactile as my older browns on my ducky shine 3. They are also heavier! when you search them up in the info it is rather hard to find and Ripster did a review showing that it is 50g, but i have found that mine are all 60g actuation which is noticeably heavier than a 45g brown switch. So weight wise they should be similar to the gateron blacks. but i guess that's also dependent on the batch.

Note: I found that the khail browns are less tactile that cherry's and tend to bottom them out most of the time. If i type slowly or game i can notice the sublte bump. but as a reference i can notice the bump on my romer g's and cherry browns without bottoming out.

those are my two cents.

if i have broken any rules please let me know and i will rectify them.