Author Topic: About to buy the Drevo Gramr, would like to play with aftermarket caps  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
Since I'm about to grab the Drevo Gramr tonight, I figured the thin ABS keycaps might not be to my liking. I know the legends definitely aren't. Problem is, I've never bought an aftermarket keycap set, and I don't know what would go with the Gramr's 75% layout.

I'm looking for advice on keycaps that meet the following requirements:

• They are inexpensive (~20 - 40 USD)
  • They are PBT plastic
  • Double Shot is preferred
  • They are either white or transluscent white(white is preferred)

Try not to list items that only fall into my price bracket due to sales--I won't be buying them until March at the earliest. And there is some wiggle room on the PBT--thicker ABS plastic would work too.

And yes, I'm well aware I'm asking a lot. I just don't have much disposable income to work with.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Nuji

Re: About to buy the Drevo Gramr, would like to play with aftermarket caps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 09:01:54 »
You should look into Tai-Hao Keysets.

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 16:54:31 »
I actually have, and have picked some out. Honestly, if I knew how to lock this thread, I would have.

I've realized that I'm gonna have to buy an 87 key set, some 1u bottom row keys and a 1.75u shift key, because those are the only non-standard keys on the Drevo. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Most deadly of them all.

Offline zewone

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:59:03 »
As a former owner of the Gramr (handed it down), you can save yourself a huge headache and just go with DSA PBT keycaps.

The odd layout of the Gramr means major incompatibilities with most keysets / keycap profiles. This will lead to keys with different heights. The beauty of DSA is that each row is the same height, so you don't have to worry about this issue at all.

I would suggest to avoid laser printed. Go with dye sub.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 23:24:23 by zewone »

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 16:06:54 »
Thanks for the tip! I was getting an 87 key PBT Single Tone set that would have been double shot, and the set has available add-ons of 1.75u shift and R1 1u blanks. I ended up choosing black keys instead of white, because of lack of options in white on Tai-Hao's site. It will be a few months before I can afford them though.

This is the set I had in mind: https://shop.tai-hao.com/products/-pbt-104-c02bc201. I'm aware that they are not ideal for backlit keys, but that doesn't matter much to me.

Most deadly of them all.