Author Topic: Microsoft is single handedly trying to kill the PC  (Read 2137 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Microsoft is single handedly trying to kill the PC
« on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 12:50:28 »
"I got this new laptop. It's a proper PC..." It's one of the great moments from one of Microsoft's new adverts to boost the sales of their Windows 8 laptop/tablet things.

At the very beggining of the advert he places his PC in a bin.

In all seriousness, what are Microsoft trying to do with these adverts/new OS?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Findecanor

Re: Microsoft is single handedly trying to kill the PC
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 13:40:55 »
I haven't seen it. Can you link to it? I could not find it on Youtube.

I just facepalm when I see an ad that backfires... Sometimes I wonder if the ad agency got angry at their client and chose to make fun of them. Someone in charge at the client company must have seen the ad before signing off on it: was that person just stupid, or a disgruntled employee on the way to leave the company?

I remember back in the late '90s, Microsoft had a TV ad with the theme "Restart". As if a forced restart was something to be cherished and give us a welcomed moment of relaxation instead of being an annoyance.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 13:57:04 by Findecanor »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:01:24 »
Microsoft are just following the way the market has already been going for over a decade now. Normal people don't use desktops anymore.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:03:04 »
Places his PC in a bin - not very environmentally friendly.

Microsoft grrrrrrrrrrrr............
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 03:00:01 »
Normal people don't use desktops anymore.
I would say that it is normal to play games on your PC and for that high-end desktops still rule the field.

Places his PC in a bin - not very environmentally friendly.
Still haven't seen it... but, the regular garbage bin? Is this ad UK-only?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 03:01:43 by Findecanor »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 06:22:57 »
I dont know.  Those Intel NUCs and their brethren are pretty cool, and I can see them sticking around for awhile.  Those are the future of the PC, and I can't see the demand for a batteryless computer device ever disappearing.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 06:30:33 »
I don't think you thought this argument through very far... People have been replacing massive desktop pcs for laptops for the past 5-6 years, Microsoft is simply advertising to that demographic.

Also, if they where trying to kill desktop PC's why would they have shown off and announced the fact that they are working on replacing and updating the windows 7 start menu for either windows 8 or windows 9?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 07:03:12 »
Like income inequality, there will simply be a divergence.

A portion (majority?) of people will be happy with a computing experience that they can slip into their pocket or onto their head, while the hard-cores will want to buy large elaborate setups, weighing as much as they do, which are staggeringly powerful.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Malphas

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:38:45 »
Like income inequality, there will simply be a divergence.

A portion (majority?) of people will be happy with a computing experience that they can slip into their pocket or onto their head, while the hard-cores will want to buy large elaborate setups, weighing as much as they do, which are staggeringly powerful.
Exactly. Prior to Windows 95 the (desktop) PC was really more of a business/enthusiast/gamer field. GUIs and then the Internet made it a mainstream consumer device. It's already passed its peak in percentage terms, and the desktop is once again going to be the domain of enthusiasts and professionals, whilst average people are going to increasingly just use tablets and smartphones (which aren't even primarily phones anymore, they're small personal computers). I know an increasing number of people who've even ditched laptops, and are content just using a smartphone and tablet. Microsoft aren't marketing this way to be ****s, it's because they're desperately trying to stay relevant in a field increasingly dominated by Google and Apple.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 18:17:49 »
I dont know.  Those Intel NUCs and their brethren are pretty cool, and I can see them sticking around for awhile.  Those are the future of the PC, and I can't see the demand for a batteryless computer device ever disappearing.

Intel NUC reminds me a bit of the mac mini I have had for years.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 05:29:10 »
... and of my eeeBox, and various PCs with micro-ITX boards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 05:38:34 »
... and of my eeeBox, and various PCs with micro-ITX boards.

Heh Mac mini was first :p

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:07:26 »
Heh Mac mini was first :p
Mini-ITX is four years older than Mac Mini.