Author Topic: EXENT 65% Custom Keyboard (most exciting community project of 2017)  (Read 118051 times)

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
Re: EXENT 65% Custom Keyboard (most exciting community project of 2017)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 09:35:10 »
Holy FS, is there anything esle you wanna kills us with on this GB?  Lets see, space man's keyboard - Check, GMK keyset available at purchase - Check.  What's next BBV2?  :eek:

Also the first person to enter the GB wins a romantic date with @bocahgundul. Lady and tramp style, eating meatballs of the first EXENT prototype.
I can arrange that. Do you want Bocah or Jokrik? Jokrik is more meaty for sure.

Wow. I don't know but I think this will be better than ramabae because I don't have that much money. 250 for pcb case and switches aaaand caps. That's so cheap there has to be a downside...  But i hope not ;-)

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

Hmm the downside. Other that I'm making not much, I couldn't think of any other.
Cerally.

yes a board I finally have enough space to put my ketchup on!
Yeah bb. Also lube and tissue roll.

Now for the price question: M10-A with M65 or M67. What would you say?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
EXENT  :p

Will the bottom polycarbonate block be that smaller rectangle?  Matte translucent?  Is that text on the bottom going to be engraved in the plastic or will there be a plate covering the plastic where the text will be engraved?  Just trying to visualize what it will look like, since your sketches are not indicating what materials will be used where.  Thank you.
Polycarbonate is going to be matte translucent, not the nylon though. If budget allows, we will definitely go with polycarbonate.
Those logo will be engraved into the plastic. Like .3mm depth of engraving.

456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline Saiph

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 09:39:37 »
I've always wanted to try split spacebar because I never press it with my left thumb, and having an extra key in close range seems quite beneficial. It looks like the split spacebar gap will be really close to where I press and could cause issues.  Anyone have feedback that has tried a split spacebar?

I almost always hit it with my right thumb just to the left edge of the "N" key, but sometimes drift over to between the "B" and "N" key.
I started using split spacebar around two weeks ago when I got my tx75. I use my left thumb so I have the longer space on the left. It did take me one or two days to adjust( I had to shift my thumb placement a little bit to the left) but after that I've come to really like it. It's let me have backspace be more accessible, and having a thumb accessible fn button is useful as well.

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 09:40:24 »

Also the first person to enter the GB wins a romantic date with @bocahgundul. Lady and tramp style, eating meatballs of the first EXENT prototype.
I can arrange that. Do you want Bocah or Jokrik? Jokrik is more meaty for sure.

I'd pick Jokrik if he's in charge of the menu and cooking  ;)

Please let the Vantablack option be matte black. I'd love it to color coordinate with my S340 Elite.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 January 2017, 09:43:01 by merutz »

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 09:43:43 »
wow that's actually... pretty cheap  :eek:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 09:44:52 »
For those wondering: according to someone from Originative on reddit this is going to be a classic GB, no raffle.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5mq9te/the_ramaworks_m67a_will_appear_in_a_gb_in/dc6kahd/

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 09:59:23 »
Polycarbonate is going to be matte translucent, not the nylon though. If budget allows, we will definitely go with polycarbonate.
Those logo will be engraved into the plastic. Like .3mm depth of engraving.

I'm assuming the premium kit does not include assembly but given this will be happening through Originative would it be safe to say assembly will be offered for those of us who'd want it?

Offline wongie

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 10:03:08 »
I take it when the GB goes live there will be representative images of all the available colours?

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 12:52:00 »
Interested. Can't wait to see the prototype

Offline Enz0man

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:07:35 »
Very very interested in this! Really looking forward to the prototype. It's making me rethink the M65...

Offline need

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:10:43 »
Doesn't this just duplicate M65 ? I know the shape is different, but really...

Offline Enz0man

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:16:52 »

Well the entire case design is different. No brass weight, and steel feet with an optional higher angle one. Also i'm not sure about this, but it looks like the plate is integrated into the top part of the case. Don't quote me on that though. It is similar, but definitely not a duplicate.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:22:09 »
I mean, it's not like M65 was the first 65% board.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:22:21 »
So we just teased Honeywell's true colors in the Honeywell thread. We haven't teased the colors for the EXENT board yet...

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:23:27 »

Well the entire case design is different. No brass weight, and steel feet with an optional higher angle one. Also i'm not sure about this, but it looks like the plate is integrated into the top part of the case. Don't quote me on that though. It is similar, but definitely not a duplicate.

was mentioned above that the plate is part of the top of the keyboard. It's quite different indeed!

So we just teased Honeywell's true colors in the Honeywell thread. We haven't teased the colors for the EXENT board yet...

Show Image

Tease me harder Sherry! You should totally tease everything at once :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:26:17 by BAS1C »

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:28:23 »

was mentioned above that the plate is part of the top of the keyboard. It's quite different indeed!

Show Image

Tease me harder Sherry! You should totally tease everything at once :)

for the past year, we have been working on a colorway called Carbon Black, inspired by Topre's Black on Black colorway.

Amos, Yuktsi, and I have been talking about it for awhile, and we decided, why not try to reverse the colors since it's double-shot?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:29:09 »
this is gonna be classy af
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:33:21 »
for the past year, we have been working on a colorway called Carbon Black, inspired by Topre's Black on Black colorway.

Amos, Yuktsi, and I have been talking about it for awhile, and we decided, why not try to reverse the colors since it's double-shot?

Oh man, this is very exciting! I was getting excited about the HC granite mods.. So i very much welcome black on black :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:34:14 »
What are you estimating U.S. shipping will cost for 1 kit?  At least very roughly.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:36:23 »
so many huge names on one project. definitely one ill get in on!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:44:26 »
What are you estimating U.S. shipping will cost for 1 kit?  At least very roughly.

The estimated cost to East Coast is about $19 USPS and $21-22 for UPS. West Coast should be cheaper with an estimated cost of $15 USPS Priority and $19 UPS.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:46:49 »
As for the stabilizers, we have 2 options...

Genuine Cherry Stabilizers and Genuine Cherry Stabilizers with screw-ins. The kit comes with only 4 pairs total.

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 16:52:14 »

The estimated cost to East Coast is about $19 USPS and $21-22 for UPS. West Coast should be cheaper with an estimated cost of $15 USPS Priority and $19 UPS.

Seems pretty good!

When can we see some full on renders? =D

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 17:02:19 »

Couple quick questions Sherry if at all possible; any chance you'll be offering assembly for the premium kits? If so, how much do you estimate European shipping may cost you? Your shipping prices for sets on Originative tend to be very reasonable so here's hoping it isn't like half of the cost of the actual keyboard (as I've seen happen with a couple other boards recently).

Thank you!

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 17:08:27 »

Couple quick questions Sherry if at all possible; any chance you'll be offering assembly for the premium kits? If so, how much do you estimate European shipping may cost you? Your shipping prices for sets on Originative tend to be very reasonable so here's hoping it isn't like half of the cost of the actual keyboard (as I've seen happen with a couple other boards recently).

Thank you!

We will offer Factory Assemble. We can show samples of how it works. We don't have an estimated cost yet. We're going to work with logistics in China/Taiwan/UK to distribute to Europe. The weight of the board should only be around 4 lbs with the added materials, so the shipping costs should be reasonable. We'll get more detailed information more throughout this week.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 17:14:13 »
We will offer Factory Assemble. We can show samples of how it works. We don't have an estimated cost yet. We're going to work with logistics in China/Taiwan/UK to distribute to Europe. The weight of the board should only be around 4 lbs with the added materials, so the shipping costs should be reasonable. We'll get more detailed information more throughout this week.

I really appreciate you clearing that up - regarding assembly, fantastic, saves me so much of a headache. Logistics being worked on with someone in the UK would be superb, Portuguese customs are relentless in every way, if that comes to be then this is going to be the absolute most stress-free keyboard (that isn't mass produced by a big company) purchase I've ever made which will be so, so very welcome.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 17:17:45 »

I really appreciate you clearing that up - regarding assembly, fantastic, saves me so much of a headache. Logistics being worked on with someone in the UK would be superb, Portuguese customs are relentless in every way, if that comes to be then this is going to be the absolute most stress-free keyboard (that isn't mass produced by a big company) purchase I've ever made which will be so, so very welcome.

Am Portuguese, can confirm, **** customs.

Offline Biggestmac

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:34:53 »
Can't wait to jump on this board!

Offline Data

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:38:21 »
No! Don't jump on it!

This keyboard is for fingers, not toes!

Offline juahenza

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:57:02 »
I've always wanted to try split spacebar because I never press it with my left thumb, and having an extra key in close range seems quite beneficial. It looks like the split spacebar gap will be really close to where I press and could cause issues.  Anyone have feedback that has tried a split spacebar?

I almost always hit it with my right thumb just to the left edge of the "N" key, but sometimes drift over to between the "B" and "N" key.
I started using split spacebar around two weeks ago when I got my tx75. I use my left thumb so I have the longer space on the left. It did take me one or two days to adjust( I had to shift my thumb placement a little bit to the left) but after that I've come to really like it. It's let me have backspace be more accessible, and having a thumb accessible fn button is useful as well.
Bro, if you are using your left thumb, you should keep the shorter shift to the left (2.25u 1.25u 2.75u). So that your thumb will land on the 1.25u. It's so nice to press on the key with no stabilisers. Especially for people like me, who isn't very good at tuning stabilisers. Well, that just my personal experience.  :cool:

Very very interested in this! Really looking forward to the prototype. It's making me rethink the M65...

Project m67 was initiated back in June 2017. I engaged RAMA in July to design 65% board for me. m65 comes only later. You could tell by the instagram post of RAMA, I believe m67 was first posted way earlier.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 January 2017, 20:25:59 by juahenza »
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 19:57:23 »

This is actually pretty much the set I've been looking for since, well, since I got into keyboards. One of my first posts[1] here, in fact, was looking for roughly these. (Not side-printed, of course, but the colors are basically exactly what I was after.)

[1] https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82518.msg2185708#msg2185708

Offline ntw

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 20:01:18 »

Show Image

you hype machine!!
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 21:12:07 »
This is literally everything I've been looking for in a keyboard.
(and i think i need to go change my underwear)

Offline juahenza

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 21:50:43 »
This is literally everything I've been looking for in a keyboard.
(and i think i need to go change my underwear)
me too  :p

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 22:26:25 »
Will you be selling those screw in stabs later on your site?

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 22:53:04 »

Show Image

veeeery interesting. will go off selling few of my collection in order to make this through!
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 01:01:48 »
BLACK ON BLACK HHKB STYLE?  :eek: Ivan must be hiccuping like a motherf****r

This... is everything I've dreamed of.

Question: I really wanna do the assembly myself but I'm a virgin when it comes to this thing. Will you include a tutorial or some kind of visual aid(lego instructions style)?

+ yellow Esc

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 01:04:50 »
BLACK ON BLACK HHKB STYLE?  :eek: Ivan must be hiccuping like a motherf****r

This... is everything I've dreamed of.

Question: I really wanna do the assembly myself but I'm a virgin when it comes to this thing. Will you include a tutorial or some kind of visual aid(lego instructions style)?

More like reverse Black on Black!

Are you in the Los Angeles area? I would definitely love to invite you to my place to pop your soldering cherry.

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 01:23:23 »
More like reverse Black on Black!

Are you in the Los Angeles area? I would definitely love to invite you to my place to pop your soldering cherry.

Way over the ocean, in Romania, unfortunately. I've seen keyboard builds on youtube before, but a confirmed guide would make my hesitations go away.

+ yellow Esc

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 02:52:17 »
Nice design!  :thumb:

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 04:59:56 »
I've taken the liberty to post all available renders since most people don't have IG. Keep in mind some of these portray different revisions and most likely the final product will look different.

My only concern is regarding the thickness since it wasn't mentioned in the initial technical specs and one of these renders, due to the rounded edge, shows it to be quite svelte.

157365-0157367-1
157369-2157371-3

I think this last one is actually of the original M67 comissioned by aaaaaaaaamos.

157373-4

+ yellow Esc

Offline muten-roshi

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 05:08:45 »
I've taken the liberty to post all available renders since most people don't have IG. Keep in mind some of these portray different revisions and most likely the final product will look different.

My only concern is regarding the thickness since it wasn't mentioned in the initial technical specs and one of these renders, due to the rounded edge, shows it to be quite svelte.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I think this last one is actually of the original M67 comissioned by aaaaaaaaamos.

(Attachment Link)

Wow nice.
Yeah picture 1 and 2 look very different regarding the thickness. I hope we hear "real" news soon :-)

Offline losskutleboys

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 05:14:05 »
Do you have any idea for estimated shipping cost to south east asia ? Rough number will do.
My comfort food is instant ramen

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 05:57:42 »
Do you have any idea for estimated shipping cost to south east asia ? Rough number will do.

Thank you!

Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline juahenza

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 06:47:42 »

(Attachment Link)
which thickness are you referring to?

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 07:45:02 »

Genuine Cherry Stabilizers and Genuine Cherry Stabilizers with screw-ins. The kit comes with only 4 pairs total.

Screw in stabilizers, please!

Offline Traveler

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 08:37:02 »

I've never build a keyboard: what are the advantages of screw-in stabilizers? Are they just more, uh, stable? Do they cut down on noise?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 08:48:38 »

I've never build a keyboard: what are the advantages of screw-in stabilizers? Are they just more, uh, stable? Do they cut down on noise?

More stable as the stab can't wiggle at all in the PCB.
keyboards.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 09:52:39 »

Bro, if you are using your left thumb, you should keep the shorter shift to the left (2.25u 1.25u 2.75u). So that your thumb will land on the 1.25u. It's so nice to press on the key with no stabilisers. Especially for people like me, who isn't very good at tuning stabilisers. Well, that just my personal experience.  :cool:

I'll think about this for the Exent, I like how I have it set up now but maybe this is better.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 10:49:11 »
Will you be offering the PCB separately for a standalone purchase?
keyboards.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 14:42:19 »
Will you be offering the PCB separately for a standalone purchase?

Yeah, extras will be available.

I'm on the same boat. I can imagine it being slightly more firm, but I do not have the real answer.