geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

do you lower the brightness of your monitor at night?

(1/8) > >>

studbike:
I'm a lurker here, this is like my first post. I recently got a monoprice 32" 4k monitor - i am trying to reduce eye strain long-term. I don't have bad problems with it but im hedging against my age.

It's an IPS monitor that supposedly has no pulse-width-modulation problems in the backlight. I had setup hiccups, but the image quality is great.

The problem is that there is no way to adjust the brightness without digging through the menu - so I probably won't. Default adjustment is audio volume and it seemingly can't be changed. I have flux installed, which is an app that turns the colors of the monitor yellow at night and sort of lowers the brightness as well - it feels like it does because of the coloration, but obviously the backlight in the monitor is still at the same setting.

I'll be getting dual tinted bias lighting (LED strips mounted at the back of the monitor to spread light behind it) - one strip at 6500k to match the monitor during the day, and another at 2700k to match the monitor while flux is running at night.

If you read this far - what do you think of the importance of adjusting the backlight in the monitor? Should I leave it at 80% all the time? Should I turn it down at night? Up during the day? Thanks in advance

tp4tissue:
Tp4 lowers the Brihtness of his monitor ALL DAY.

tp4tissue:
You WILL burn out your eyes by using high brightness.

Ideally, you want to dim the environment and use around 120nits (peak white), if you must use white.

the 200+ 300nits setting only really exists to combat OFFICE lighting, the lighting used to enslave office workers.

Going yellow is not enough, you have to GO BLACK.  Grey text is the best because it's lower contrast and doesn't hurt your eye.

Avoid using tint, while reducing blue is better, it affects color perception, and is generally unpleasant.

Bias lighting is not good for color perception either, because if there is a high percentage of color cast from the wall,  it changes the perceived white point of the monitor itself.   Basically any color that is cast, is drained out of your monitor because it interferes with perception. This is an optical illusion system.

Colorists use a neutral Grey , specialized wall paint and a special light which has similar spectral density to Sunlight.   This has nothing to do with CRI rating, that's all bull****,  you need to look at the spectral density of the light product.

Afresh:
I work on my LG 27GL850-B (terrible name) and I used to have it on 100% brightness but since I tend to sit aroud 7-16 hours a day here my eyes began to notice it. Now I'm sitting on 15% all the time and I can't go back, its too bright for me. Also saves you pennies on energy usage :P

ycanales:
100% during the day on my Samsung ultrawide, around 30% on evenings and 0% at night with lights off. It’s a VA panel with around 350 nits peak brightness I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version