Author Topic: Suitable USB adapters for IBM Model M?  (Read 39092 times)

Offline leech

• …always on the lookout for higher quality…
Re: Suitable USB adapters for IBM Model M?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 10:58:19 »
yes 5.0eur/ppl if there are 5ppl wanting 1pc/ppl and if i shipped the 5 envelopes separately to 5 different international destinations.
if there is only 1ppl interested, the total would be 5.7eur i guess, with no tracking number.

group buy section? nah it's okay if ppl post their definite interest just here and bump the thread. Sending out 5 envelopes or more would only mean more work for me. haha not looking forward  ;D

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 08:09:21 »
yes 5.0eur/ppl if there are 5ppl wanting 1pc/ppl and if i shipped the 5 envelopes separately to 5 different international destinations.
if there is only 1ppl interested, the total would be 5.7eur i guess, with no tracking number.

group buy section? nah it's okay if ppl post their definite interest just here and bump the thread. Sending out 5 envelopes or more would only mean more work for me. haha not looking forward  ;D
That's not too bad for just one person as that's under $7usd.  If you're willing to do that for me I'm in.  It will be cool to have a real German-Japanese converter. :D

Offline leech

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 15:22:39 »
yeah i'd like to help you get 1. just pp me USD6.50 (special total for ya) along with a shipping address and i'll take care of everything incl photo from the local post office.

:-*
okay got your money. ordering it for EUR1.99 from amazon for ya now cheers!
will keep you guys posted here on the progress of the order/shipment

a kind service brought to you by fellow geeky member leech :thumb:

EDIT:  @SamirD, your parcelito was posted on Sat 2017-11-11 hence should reach you within this month of Nov. Feel free to share a phone pic of the freshly opened package because sharing is fun!!  :cool:
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 November 2017, 12:08:18 by leech »

Offline kamp

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 06:23:37 »
Hello everyone,

I just got this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugreen-USB-Male-to-PS2-Female-Cable-Adapter-Converter-Extension-Cable-Adapter-with-chipset-for-Keyboard/32804535498.html
adapter/converter from some Chinese company called Ugreen in the mail and it seems to work perfectly with my model M on Windows 10.
Somehow they can ship it to almost anywhere for free from china for less than $5 (though the shipping is not very fast, took about 2 weeks).
It is also available from ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ugreen-USB-2-0-A-Male-To-PS2-Female-Adapter-PC-Keyboard-And-Mouse-Scanning-Gun-/162520645998
but it's a bit more expensive there.
I've tested key rollover and it's just as mediocre as when using PS2, as expected. It is hotswappable so that's convenient and the build quality is pretty solid.
The only downside for me is that there is also a cable to plug a mouse into that i don't use and dangles loose but that's not a big problem.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 07:57:22 »
From what I have seen, the Y adapters work great on keyboards with a very limited rollover. However, they will absolutely bug out if the keyboard can successfully register too many keystrokes. The y adapters should work fine on model M's since they don't have a ton of rollover in the first place.

That's not how rollover works.  Using PS/2, the Model M can register 16 keystrokes at once if you hit the right combination, and theoretically should be able to hit 22 at once depending on the controller.  Most USB converters or onboard controllers start throwing keys out long before then.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 08:10:40 by E TwentyNine »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 09:21:13 »
yeah i'd like to help you get 1. just pp me USD6.50 (special total for ya) along with a shipping address and i'll take care of everything incl photo from the local post office.

:-*
okay got your money. ordering it for EUR1.99 from amazon for ya now cheers!
will keep you guys posted here on the progress of the order/shipment

a kind service brought to you by fellow geeky member leech :thumb:

EDIT:  @SamirD, your parcelito was posted on Sat 2017-11-11 hence should reach you within this month of Nov. Feel free to share a phone pic of the freshly opened package because sharing is fun!!  :cool:
Thank you so much!  I got it a few days ago, but have been waiting to open it so I can take some nice pics.  :thumb:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 17:59:04 »
Many buyers in the AX Feedback section actually refer to the Model M and report that these inexpensive active adapters do work.

Many Model M users on GH have reported issues using cheap adapters. Few have had a problem using the Blue Cube.

Again, though, are you referring to adapters or converters? I'd never recommend an adapter, which just changes the connector's shape, for something like a Model M.

Otherwise, I'm sure there are "cheap" (poorly made) converters out there, along with any kind of hardware. But are you specifically referring to the kb/mouse cable type I've described? If so, I'm baffled... I've used dozens of them through the years, obtained from different sources, and recommended them to numerous friends, and they've all worked flawlessly. (The converters, I mean; most of the friends have worked too.) I'm just wondering if we're talking about the same thing here.

I mentioned I was a tech writer just to assure you I understood the difference in terms. You chose to take that rather negatively, but I didn't intend to lord it over anyone. I'm sorry if I gave you that impression.

You may also be glad to know I'm married, so someone's already doing a very good job reminding me how inept and annoying I am when I try to be helpful. :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 19:02:13 »
As far as I know, we're here not to lambast

You mean lambaste?...

;?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 November 2017, 19:04:38 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Algoblin

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 12:36:40 »
Hi everyone. I'd like to start by thanking all the members of the forums and contributors to the geekhack community, thanks to You I learnt A LOT visiting the forums over the years.

Now that I have a chance to give back to the community, I'd like to report that as I learned a blog post (https://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2009/03/10/model-m-ps2-usb-adapter.html) and checked for myself - this particular adapter seems to work fine with Model M. Previously I tested a really cheap one labelled "Monoprice" and it didn't push through any keystrokes.

https://www.amazon.com/Digitus-USB-PS-Adapter-70118/dp/B000M0461M

Not sure about key rollover and other parameters, if anyone wants to suggest some "stress tests" then we can try them.

It cost around 6€, and seems like there's still plenty of them around the world. Hope this helps anyone who's not fond of the blue cube.

Offline leech

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 21:11:28 »
How many pcs would you want and what's your destination country? If you really/urgently want this particular item for some good reason  ^-^, maybe i could order it with your money :-X and then receive'n forward the package to your given address. i wouldn't mind helping out a fellow keeb geek
Dear reader of my posts in this thread,
in the meantime i got several PM's by (mostly newly registered) forum members asking if i still offer help/service with acquiring that Fujitsu USB adapter. All i can say is thanks for your interest, but getting me involved doesn't make sense anymore. Minimum postage has increased to 8.89EUR (for destinations in the EU) or 15.89EUR (for non-EU destinations) see postage calculator www.dhl.de since 2019-01-01, and tracking (=insurance) costs additional 4EUR. While national letters can contain product samples, sending a product sample in an "international letter" is not possible anymore since 2019-01-01. Only paper documents are allowed as contents in international letters since this year.
I can see that the marketplace seller (on ebay.de and amazon.de) still ships internationally to benelux austria but he then charges 7.49EUR for the shipping cost, which means that he is facing the same problem, i.e. high shipping costs for the buyer. (I didn't test this, but it would be silly to just send off the product in an "international letter" anyway; worst case scenario would be shipper and consignee waiting anxiously for months for the delivery, wasting time and mental energy in the process, and the letter gets lost/destroyed in the postal system without us ever knowing :eek: . Who wants that nerve killing? No thanks, i'll pass.)

Shipping products internationally from ORIGIN:gemani has become prohibitively expensive. It has become a no-go, unless you are willing to pay the 19.89EUR shipping for say Non-EU New Zealand (2kg insured+tracking) or the 11.39EUR shipping for say EU Poland (2kg insured+tracking).

My offer/service was good while it lasted. RIP.  :))

(…)

Btw i still use this Fujitsu USB adapter all the time. It is holding up well, no problems whatsoever. I appreciate that its USB plug does not put any (mechanical/physical/weight/momentum) strain on my PC's USB socket, because i placed the adapter itself on top of my PC's case:

I also like using the front USB port of my PC as shown, so that i can easily unplug the USB plug, put the IBM Model M (still attached to the adapter!) temporarily aside, clean my desktop without having the keeb in the way, and vacuum the keeb keys. I do this unplugging/cleaning/vacuuming procedure about 2x per week; and it would be a hassle, if i had plugged the keeb to the back USB port of my computer simply because the computer sits right in the corner of the room, with the back ports being hard to access :rolleyes:
I also place other stuff on top of the PC case: recharging my mobile phone, the house phone, a bad-ass flashlight, a luxury 13400 powerbank.

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2019, 21:21:09 by leech »