Author Topic: cyberguys.com has blue cubes in stock again  (Read 18973 times)

Offline ruumis

cyberguys.com has blue cubes in stock again
« on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 13:10:12 »
$7.79 a pop. ouch. I grabbed three.
IBM Model M (82G2383) | IBM Model M (51G8572) | Apple Extended Keyboard 1 (M0115) | ABS M1 (x2) | Dell AT101W white | Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW black | Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2 w/double-shots from a G81-8000HPBUS-2 / 03

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 14:28:28 »
Hmm...wonder what the manufacturing cost is on blue cubes, and I wonder why they command a higher price?

Genuine questions...why are the cheap ones (as far as I'm concerned, superior based on form factor and features, if less reliable in certain applications) so cheap and the blue cube so pricey?

Anyone care to trace them back to manufacturer and dig up info on them?

BTW I wasn't aware cyberguys was out of stock. It's the ebay seller cable star who doesn't carry them currently.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ruumis

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 14:36:47 »
Quote from: input nirvana;181154
$5.99  

$5.99 + $4.99 shipping = pretty much the same price as cyberguys.
IBM Model M (82G2383) | IBM Model M (51G8572) | Apple Extended Keyboard 1 (M0115) | ABS M1 (x2) | Dell AT101W white | Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW black | Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2 w/double-shots from a G81-8000HPBUS-2 / 03

Offline ruumis

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 14:37:41 »
Quote from: kishy;181169
BTW I wasn't aware cyberguys was out of stock.

they've been out of stock for at least a month, until today.

Offline pfink

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 14:39:56 »
Quote from: kishy;181169
Hmm...wonder what the manufacturing cost is on blue cubes, and I wonder why they command a higher price?

Command a higher price than what? It looks like the other active PS/2->USB adapters that Cyberguys sells are all higher priced than the blue cube.

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-search/?keyword=usb+ps2+adapter

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 14:43:09 »
Cyberguys have $4.96 shipping. CA sales tax if you are in CA.

The Amazon ones from Sewell Direct are a bad deal. They charge $5.00 shipping ON EACH BLUE CUBE!!  Grrr...
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 May 2010, 14:48:58 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 14:44:38 »
Quote from: pfink;181181
Command a higher price than what? It looks like the other active PS/2->USB adapters that Cyberguys sells are all higher priced than the blue cube.

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-search/?keyword=usb+ps2+adapter

USB to PS/2 converters as seen on eBay for $0.99 with free shipping, often.
kishy.ca

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 14:52:35 »
Quote from: ripster;181195
Blue Cube is a Cypress Semiconductor part.  See the wiki for pics.  BTW the OP test is only as good as the associated database with it and it probably is hopelessly out of date.  At least it didn't identify the Blue Cube correctly.

The test is accurate in that it will read the IDs correctly, that is pulled from hardware and can't really go out of date.

Associating the number with a name, however, is the problem. I say disregard that info and just take the number, attempt to figure it out elsewhere online.

Is the blue cube itself a Cypress part, or just the chip?
I don't care who makes the chip, I care who's handling final assembly. That's where we will find the answer to my cost questions.
kishy.ca

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 15:13:43 »
It looks like they don't take PayPal. Neither does Amazon.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 17:20:20 »
It looks like they don't take PayPal. Neither does Amazon.
and...?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 17:28:32 »
Quote from: nowsharing;181301
and...?

= significantly reduced convenience and perceived safety during the purchase process.
kishy.ca

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 18:20:19 »
...but I own one!
kishy.ca

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 08:30:40 »
Quote from: kishy;181306
= significantly reduced convenience and perceived safety during the purchase process.

Yes, thanks. Also, I boycott credit cards (22% interest??) so my only option then would be sending a money order - which would cost just as much as the bloody adapter itself and take over a week to get there from Canada.

I'm not thrilled with PayPal (and used to boycott that too - up to 2009), but it's definitely faster and cheaper than money orders.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 08:35:03 »
I really like PayPal (the concept more so than the company).  I tend to buy a lot of things online for various reasons, and PayPal allows me to speed up the transaction by allowing to not have to enter in a ton of info on every site I buy from.  Just click the "Pay with PayPal" button and go.  That, and it makes buying stuff between private individuals much more convenient.  That said, it can be a ***** to get started on PayPal, but once you're set up, it's easy.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 08:46:15 »
Well the thing I don't like about PayPal is their customer service. They seem to have some absolute morons working there who just don't give a ****. Ask them anything and they'll ignore whatever you wrote and send you a link to their self help page - which doesn't contain anything related to your question. If you keep asking them to respond to your question, they will keep sending the same useless link, then eventually stop replying.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2010, 08:48:18 by mr_a500 »

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 09:00:21 »
I don't use PayPal because it behaves like a bank without being regulated like one.

PayPal can legally freeze your account or even take your money for any reason or no reason.  I do not and will not agree to these terms.

It is also much easier to be defrauded if you accept payments via PayPal.  Payments can be reversed long after the fact, at which time PayPal will pull from your tied-in checking account.  Not enough money in it?  Overdraft time and now you're on the hook with the bank.

No thanks.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 09:31:20 »
It's 7:30am and I'm starting my day out in the world with the "Show me the money" sequence...

This WILL affect how I deal with at least one person today.

:)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 09:50:48 »
PayPal: Great service, great concept, terrible company, terrible support.

Credit cards: don't boycott them. Abuse them. Borrow money but repay within the same month = you pay no interest but got to borrow money 'on the house'. For big ticket items that you would put on a line of credit, borrow on your credit card and then repay with line of credit within the month. You escape slightly longer without paying interest and it ends up on the same line of credit it would have anyway.

People who carry excessive debt on a credit card when lower interest options are available to them amaze me.
kishy.ca

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 10:09:39 »
Quote from: ripster;181471
You guys need to have better movie tastes.  These are both Best Supporting Actor Academy Award performances.

Click da pic for youtube link to "Money" from Cabaret.
Show Image

I'll have to stick with Tom and Cuba as my influence today. Liza and Joel (though fun) could easily get me arrested in public.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 10:20:02 »
Quote from: ripster;181472
Get a 1% back card.  I'm lazy so I use one that sends me the check automatically.

What the hell is that? I've never heard of it. And we have "cheques" up here, not "checks".

You Americans have some weird bank stuff that isn't in Canada. I heard you have debit cards that can be used exactly as credit cards - for paying for stuff online. (I also heard you can get a free shotgun when you open an account ;) )

Offline phototristan

• https://www.youtube.com/phototristan
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 15:12:43 »
Cyberguys shows out of stock again today (due in on the 14th).

Offline Half-Saint

IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 10:21:13 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;181579
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ziotek-PS2-Keyboard-and-Mouse-USB-Adapter-ZT1040444-/300416499964?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item45f23800fc

Anyone tested this one?

Clickykeyboards endorses it, so that's good enough for me.

I ordered a blue cube and one of these from Cyberguys just the other day before noticing this thread, so I had no idea about the whole limited stock thing.  I'm hoping the blue cube will fix blocking with my PowerAmp Mite.  The Ziotek is just future-proofing for my M.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 11:09:01 »
Quote from: Megaweapon;181943
Clickykeyboards endorses it, so that's good enough for me.

That's good to know. Thanks. This is better because that blue cube is so thick, it'd block my second USB port. AND the guy takes PayPal. Unfortunately, he doesn't ship to Canada, so I'm still screwed.

I'll have to find somebody else selling these. (....but I've gotten cheap and don't want to pay $20... not my fault - I got spoiled by all those $0.99 Chinese USB devices)

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 12:31:04 »
Quote from: mr_a500;181969
That's good to know. Thanks. This is better because that blue cube is so thick, it'd block my second USB port.

7" USB extension fixes that.  I picked one up on eBay yesterday for $4 shipped (although I don't see any others that cheap right now).

I'll have to find somebody else selling these. (....but I've gotten cheap and don't want to pay $20...

Cyberguys still has the Ziotek in stock.
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 12:36:00 »
Quote from: Megaweapon;181997
7" USB extension fixes that.  I picked one up on eBay yesterday for $4 shipped (although I don't see any others that cheap right now).

Check it.  All the way towards the bottom of the page.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 13:04:26 »
Quote from: ripster;182005
$2.99 and GOLD usb connector.   Pimpin.
Show Image

Or just gently squeeze the bottom half and pull apart da Blue Cube.
Show Image

Pimp it up.

Can't decide if I like this side better
Show Image

Or this one.
Show Image

I'd actually finish the mockup but I can't IMAGINE anybody wasting their time worrying about a stupid USB Dongle and looking for the absolutely cheapest one.

Well, before I saw this post, I couldn't IMAGINE anybody wasting their time taking pictures like this... but here we are. ;)

(no, I'm kidding... the first two pictures actually are useful)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 13:26:06 »
Quote from: webwit;181962
For your reference.

The Bluecube or USB to PS2 Adapter was made by GoodWay Technology Taiwan (US branch), barcode 4719513310075, part number UE-270. They haven't had these in their product line for years, here's an old product page. If you search for the parts in italics you can usually find some shops, but a finite supply is trickling down from top suppliers I think. It's not a special product or something, but it works, its size is convenient, and it can be used for modding. Note that some of the other working adapters also come from this shop.

AHA! Thank you webwit.

That's the sort of thing I was looking for.

Would it appear it's actually out of production, then, and the people who sell them now are just working off huge quantities of old stock?
kishy.ca

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 14:08:09 »
The chip is still made, sure...but that particular device?

Two different things.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 16:15:29 »
My nForce 2 boards still have their PS/2 ports on them.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 17:07:45 »
I suppose it would be rather strange for the ports to disappear from boards which previously had them, suddenly leaving empty holes in the back of one's computer.
kishy.ca

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 17:19:45 »
We've seen stranger things in IT license agreements.
Typing on blues.

Offline ruumis

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 25 June 2010, 11:12:21 »

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 26 June 2010, 01:25:24 »
I'm still in the back-order queue for a handful of these converters from Cyberguys.  I hope I get them in soon.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 06:22:08 »
Quote from: ripster;196289
So much for the "discontinued product" conspiracy theory.

Don't underestimate consumer electronics mass-production.

Next time someone opens up their Blue Cube, check the date code on the Cypress chip.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 14:10:39 »
My new Gigabyte mobo from December has ONE PS/2 port. It's green, but it takes mice and keyboards (yes, NKRO works).

As long as they keep one PS/2 port I'm happy.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 14:19:04 »
Mine are stealth.

The case markings beneath the sticker are much like ripster's

CY7C63723C
-SXC
0919 A 23

I bought mine last autumn; 0919 and 0837 suggest a date code of YYWW, year-week.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 15:04:01 »
They just got shipped to those of us in the backorder queue.  They should appear at my door this week.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 12:35:50 »
Okay, here we are, pictures of one of my three new generic "Blue cube" keyboard-only PS/2-to-USB adapters.

The sticker on the ASIC reads "UC451A002.Hex".

USB vendor 0x0D3D product 0x0001.  Vendor "Tangtop Tech" and the product is USBPS2.

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 July 2010, 12:48:24 by aegrotatio »

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 12:46:27 »
OpenBSD says the vendor is 'TANGTOP.'

However, just like counterfeit software, there can be counterfeit firmware and hardware.  This same dongle is sold by Belkin, probably in chip name only.

More info on the chip itself: http://www.cypress.com/?rid=37888
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 July 2010, 13:12:30 by aegrotatio »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 15:56:13 »
Well, the Belkin is a better adapter than the Blue Cube, so who knows...