Author Topic: Surprised at feels -- Probably will return purchase  (Read 1667 times)

Offline allthumbs

Surprised at feels -- Probably will return purchase
« on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 14:12:18 »
A CoolerMaster with blues arrived yesterday and all the keys seemed surprisingly hard to actuate. A co-worker of mine who owns a DAS with blues agreed. We went to a neighboring cubicle which had a Monoprice with blues. We copped a feel and both thought the Monoprice was definitely easier to actuate than the CM that arrived.

Here's how stiff the CM feels: the co-worker and I both have CMs with Reds. He'd rate normal blues as midway between our easy reds and the new CM with blues. That means they probably feel like cherry clears. It feels like the keys don't "want" to be pressed. We did pull a keycap and we saw blue.

So I'm leaning towards returning this (vs asking Amazon to swap with another instance of the blues). My thoughts are:
  • getting a second instance of the same model will likely yield the same result
    • there may be a whole batch of blue switches that turned out stiff
    • or maybe the blues in the CM turn out to feel stiffer in general because of the keycaps or some other factor
    [li]if I tried another with blues and wanted to do a second return, they'd say No

I'm disappointed though. I really wanted to try the blues. I've only ever used reds. What do you think?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
Re: Surprised at feels -- Probably will return purchase
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 14:15:27 »
orrrrr buy topre =3

Did you make sure they are legit cherry and not clones? other then that idk why they would be different then any other blues.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 14:19:33 »
Have even CM started using clones? Who can we trust in this coldhearted world... They were the last of the "Gamezorz" mech-producers.

Offline allthumbs

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 14:45:46 »
Is there an easy way to tell if they're genuine cherry mx switches?

At least the Amazon page says they are...

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 14:49:32 »
Pull a keycap off and look at the switch. If it says Cherry on the plastic shroud around the colored stem, they're genuine.

Personally, I prefer the feel of Cherry clones to the genuine article, but that's just me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 15:23:47 »
Don't all Cherries need to be broken in, especially the blue ones?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline allthumbs

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 17:41:10 »
how long would a break-in period be?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 18:10:54 »
I am the wrong person to give advice on things that I do not use personally, but perhaps 2 weeks?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 20:08:35 »
Are you sure it doesn't have greens?

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:27:39 »
I have the same thing. My old daily driver had Blues, and then I bought a Ducky with blues that was excellent looking, but way harder to actuate (even compared to other new keyboards in stores). It had thick PBT caps, but that should've made it lighter, not heavier.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 03:55:32 »
We did pull a keycap and we saw blue.
It did sound like the keys were MX Green. Those are like Blues but stiffer.

CM Storm doesn't have any keyboard with different switches on different keys? I know Ducky has some models like that.

Don't all Cherries need to be broken in, especially the blue ones?
That shouldn't change stiffness so much, mostly friction in the key stroke.

I know that clone switches from Gateron can be a little bit harder to actuate. The coiled spring in Gateron Blues is not harder than the one in Cherry MX Blues but the leaf spring for the electric contact is.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 04:57:02 »
Have even CM started using clones? Who can we trust in this coldhearted world... They were the last of the "Gamezorz" mech-producers.

Corsair? or have they jumped ship?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 05:56:18 »
Wasn't there a wave of comments about how the quality of Cherries was horrible nowadays or something? How their production was not proper anymore? Maybe it's that?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 06:26:18 »

Corsair? or have they jumped ship?

No idea what kind of switches they use, but the designers they use are using FAR too much designer drugs.

Offline allthumbs

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 17:38:56 »
I pulled a key cap off the CM. The base said CHERRY. So no clones there.