Author Topic: Buzzing speakers  (Read 29306 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Buzzing speakers
« on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 05:10:29 »
It has now become very annoying.. my speakers buzz sometimes, it goes pretty loud at times, really annoying.
It makes noises when I touch the mini jack cable, but if I touch the actual plug in audio socket, it blows my head off...
I hope this makes sense to you guys, don't know how to explain this sound. It doesn't do that all the time, just sometimes, starts really low, then goes louder and louder, but if I touch a cable or plug it get super loud.

How can I fix this?
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2019, 05:13:27 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fanpeople

Re: Buzzing speakers
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 05:22:35 »
I don't know but sometimes if I get the ****s when playing games, I will activate mic and place it next to my speakers to create the worlds worst audio cyclone.

Have you tried a different cable?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 05:30:18 »
it's prolly ground loop situation.

If you have 2 diff devices connected to sound output, sometimes there's interference.

Also, possibly the filtering stage is worn out on the speaker device.

Offline phinix

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 06:12:53 »
How can I fix it?
I only have one set of speakers connected to my pc.
Speakers did it from new. Even if I touch the plug when they are on but not plugged to pc, it makes this buzzing sound.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 06:36:05 »

What output are you using from the pc

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 06:48:56 »
Def a grounding problem.

Without resorting to surgery and/or solder, you might get some of that contact goop and and see if you can use it to get a better connection.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 07:13:38 »

What output are you using from the pc

standard mini jack

Def a grounding problem.

Without resorting to surgery and/or solder, you might get some of that contact goop and and see if you can use it to get a better connection.

contact goop? What's that?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 08:15:01 »
That was just a guess, it is hard to tell what the underlying problem is.

https://support.newgatesimms.com/how-electrical-connector-lubricants-work/
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 13:38:40 »
are you using motherboard sound ?
yes

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 15:32:06 »

yes

Use optical to DAC to speaker. That will cut down on alot of noise.

Motherboard audio is never good, high noise floor, and inductance due to dense traces.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 16:00:28 »
people always have a million different answers to this but it's usually just cables missing ferrite cores from my experience.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 16:10:07 »
people always have a million different answers to this but it's usually just cables missing ferrite cores from my experience.

Optical solves that too.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 16:14:44 »
Gotta have clean power lines -- https://thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole

In all seriousness, I would try grounding everything and adding ferrite beads to you cables. Either that or put a DAC in between your computer and speakers (a properly grounded dac of course). The audiophile world is deep and crazy; seems to me like you've stumbled in without realizing it. Welcome :)
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:33:32 »
Another issue could be your soundcard is unshielded, which means it's too close to another card such as a gpu causing audio distortion

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:42:39 »
I could order some ferrite beads and put them on.
These are not some extra speakers, its Harman kardon soundsticks.

My sound card on mobo supposed to be extra isolated etc, MSI Z270 itx mobo.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 18:54:41 »
I could order some ferrite beads and put them on.
These are not some extra speakers, its Harman kardon soundsticks.

My sound card on mobo supposed to be extra isolated etc, MSI Z270 itx mobo.

They lie,   modern motherboards are densely multilayered , and you've got high current high frequency devices sharing the same ground.

Whatever their isolation is, it doesn't do squat.

Optical for PC audio is the best way to avoid noise.

I also recommend recabling the main speaker input with a high gauge soldered directly to the board.

You don't need ferrite it is 100% guaranteed to be useless, as RF is not your problem.

Offline phinix

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 19:20:28 »
Right, but speakers have soldered cable with mini jack. How could I swap it with optical cable?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 19:29:27 »
Right, but speakers have soldered cable with mini jack. How could I swap it with optical cable?

Kekeke.. It's more expensive than that, but not much more.

It goes PC -> Optical -> DAC -> Sound sticks

If your Pc doesn't have optical, you just need an add-in card , it doesn't have to be an expensive sound card, because this is digital out, the card is not doing sound processing, only passthrough.

If your PC has optical (Toslink), then everything's find, that goes direct to DAC.

I recommend Fiio D3, best budget dac.

If the D3 you get doesn't come with a power brick, you can use any cellphone brick, don't plug it into the PC-usb port, you want to get away from that dirty ground.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 01:18:54 »
It has now become very annoying.. my speakers buzz sometimes, it goes pretty loud at times, really annoying.
It makes noises when I touch the mini jack cable, but if I touch the actual plug in audio socket, it blows my head off...
I hope this makes sense to you guys, don't know how to explain this sound. It doesn't do that all the time, just sometimes, starts really low, then goes louder and louder, but if I touch a cable or plug it get super loud.

How can I fix this?

When I first put my system in my Ncase it had a bad case of this and happened when moving the mouse.
A ground issue was what everyone kept saying, and I tried using hubs and external sound cards (the latter fixed it), but ultimately what fixed it was getting rid of the cheap power strip and connecting my UPS again. At least I think that is what did it. I tried almost everything else and after moving my system around and switching back to the ups one day it was just gone.

I would also make sure the port and wires are not bad since it gets worse if you touch it.

Another issue could be your soundcard is unshielded, which means it's too close to another card such as a gpu causing audio distortion
This is becoming more of an issue on newer boards.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline phinix

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 05:31:26 »
Sorry, I should have explained it more.
Its not pc, its the speakers make this sound. I dont have to plug them in, just turn them on and they make buzzing sound. Moving their cable or touching the plug make this sound very loud.
It has to be something with the actual speakers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 14:25:17 »
does the soundstick use 3 pin power or 2 pin

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 01:27:07 »
Sounds like a power issue if it does it without the computer.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 04:19:11 »
What power source are the speakers connected to?  If mains have your tried plugging them in in another section/floor of your house, or in someone else's house, to see if the noise persists?  You need to isolate the problem to solve it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 04:54:53 »
What power source are the speakers connected to?  If mains have your tried plugging them in in another section/floor of your house, or in someone else's house, to see if the noise persists?  You need to isolate the problem to solve it.

Well... the alternative, throw money at it.  it will go away

Earthing rod for domocile

Power conditioner

Digital receiver w/ optical toslink

Monitor Speakers w/ active crossover

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 05:59:07 »
Just get some fire crackers and explode them next to your ears.

No hearing, no need to hear the speakers. Problem solved.

PS do not actually do this. I am in Australia anyway so you cannot sue me if you do this, because Australia does not exist and you cannot sue someone who does not exist. Well you probably can in USA but good luck getting any money from me. You have been warned.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 06:32:28 »

Well... the alternative, throw money at it.  it will go away

Earthing rod for domocile

Power conditioner

Digital receiver w/ optical toslink

Monitor Speakers w/ active crossover

Probably, but if the problem is in the speakers none of the above will work.  If it's noise in the mains ground power conditioner should, if it's a ground loop (doesn't sound like it is if the noise persists while unplugged) optical.  Not sure what an earthing rod does in this scenario, or how it would be implemented indoors...

Until the problem is defined and isolated no solution can be reliably suggested except fanpeople's - that will stop it no matter what, though good luck getting firecrackers in the UK :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 10:47:42 »

Probably, but if the problem is in the speakers none of the above will work.  If it's noise in the mains ground power conditioner should, if it's a ground loop (doesn't sound like it is if the noise persists while unplugged) optical.  Not sure what an earthing rod does in this scenario, or how it would be implemented indoors...

Oh, w00pz , forgot step 1, 

Throw original speakers away.

Earthing rods usually 2 types.  Some buildings just have earth attached to the metal water pipes.

Other systems use an actual rod with salted dirt/clay around it.

Offline phinix

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 16:26:32 »
OK, its not speakers I think. I noticed an hour ago that it started to buzz loudly as hell, I walked in to room and turned the lights on and it stopped immediately.
Then started again after 5 minutes I walked out turing the lights off. Agian, lights on, buzzing off:)
I pluggged them to different wall socket, will see it happens again....
Stupid old house...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 19:12:01 »

A device in your house, refrigerator/microwave, if the house is old, sometimes it doesn't handle the loads well, and noise will creep over the copper.

OR,  some device in the house itself is old and operating abnormally.

OR, the area which you live in has dirty power.

Lots of people buy power conditioners for their sound system, so ... that's an option.

Although, I suppose no one would buy a $500 power conditioner for a $100 speaker. kekeke

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 03:24:36 »

A device in your house, refrigerator/microwave, if the house is old, sometimes it doesn't handle the loads well, and noise will creep over the copper.

OR,  some device in the house itself is old and operating abnormally.

OR, the area which you live in has dirty power.

Lots of people buy power conditioners for their sound system, so ... that's an option.

Although, I suppose no one would buy a $500 power conditioner for a $100 speaker. kekeke

Yeah, you probably right...
These were $300, but still...

There is also one more thing that annoys me - do you remember those old times where old cell phones were making that weird noise when to close to speakers?
I keep having that too, even where cell phone is 30 meters away in another room... Why do I get those?
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 September 2019, 03:26:09 by phinix »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 10:11:45 »
I use one of these to stop my TV picture freezing when you put the kettle on, might do the trick without breaking the bank.

You say the house is old so does that mean solid walls and it's definitely not your neighbour's phone on the other side of the wall?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 10:46:15 »
I use one of these to stop my TV picture freezing when you put the kettle on, might do the trick without breaking the bank.

You say the house is old so does that mean solid walls and it's definitely not your neighbour's phone on the other side of the wall?

This will prevent small very short brown outs. But it's not a full on power conditioner.

I don't think this helps with dirty power situations, or possibly dc noise dumping devices..

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 12:13:48 »

How can I fix this?

buzzzz

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 06:20:32 »
When you touch the connector for the signal input you are acting as a big antenna picking up the power mains - 50/60Hz.  That most likely is the loud buzzing you are referring to.
Do the speakers buzz/hum plugged into the pc and both are turned on with nothing playing?
You said that it makes noise when moving the cable (presumably when plugged in), is it a crackling noise or is it the hum intermittent?  Crackling can be due to a bad or dirty connection.  If the hum is intermittent it could be a break in the shield in the cable.

With reference to your question about picking up mobile/cell phone noise, this is Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and think is due to wires or circuit board traces being the right length to pick up the carrier signal.  In other words, poorly designed.

The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline phinix

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 03:31:26 »
When you touch the connector for the signal input you are acting as a big antenna picking up the power mains - 50/60Hz.  That most likely is the loud buzzing you are referring to.
Do the speakers buzz/hum plugged into the pc and both are turned on with nothing playing?
You said that it makes noise when moving the cable (presumably when plugged in), is it a crackling noise or is it the hum intermittent?  Crackling can be due to a bad or dirty connection.  If the hum is intermittent it could be a break in the shield in the cable.

With reference to your question about picking up mobile/cell phone noise, this is Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and think is due to wires or circuit board traces being the right length to pick up the carrier signal.  In other words, poorly designed.

Yes, both on and not playing anything, when moving cable or rotating the plugged in mini jack plug in PC's sound card socket, cracking sound so loud it almost blows my head off, even if speakers are not set to be high volume.
Buzzing noise is intermittent, sinusoidal - goes up and down slowly, comes and goes away, goes worse if I touch or move the cable, but this action adds cracking to it.

I could record this if you want?

Funny bit is what I noticed lately - when I turn the lights on and off in my room, it stops the buzzing. But it comes back after few minutes til I again, use the light switch.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 September 2019, 03:33:24 by phinix »

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 20:26:33 »
Normally crackling is a contact issue which also could be causing the buzzing.
I would try the speakers connected to a different source like your phone.  Two reasons: 1) if the socket on the mobo is faulty and 2) the phone is on batteries hence ground isolated.

The other and somehow related, the lights: what type are they? Fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescent, led or incandescent?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 11:24:06 »
I would try the speakers connected to a different source like your phone.  Two reasons: 1) if the socket on the mobo is faulty and 2) the phone is on batteries hence ground isolated.

The other and somehow related, the lights: what type are they? Fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescent, led or incandescent?

One of my fluor bulbs has a dying driver,  it actually blinks whenever my CPU load goes up and down. I kept it plugged in because it looks cool.  Free cpu activity light.

Offline phinix

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 16:13:23 »

LED

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 01:42:17 »
For the love ( the) of god(s) just switch to S/PDIF.

Offline phinix

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 10:00:39 »

:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 13:34:04 »

:D

spdif can be coax copper or Toslink,  You want Toslink.

Offline phinix

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 06:22:21 »
But to go spdif I need some converter from mini jack, right?
DAC
So pluggin speakers mini jack to DAC then to PC won't solve the problem, as speakers make this sound without PC.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 September 2019, 06:25:25 by phinix »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 03:24:49 »
I still say try the cheap 'power conditioner' linked above, some reviews say it reduces noise and worse case it doesn't work you just send it back to amazon.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 05:50:26 »
I would spend $50 on a set of bookshelf speakers,  $75-100 for a powered subwoofer.

$20-40 on a Tri-amp

$20 on an optical DAC.

OR,  you can spend $100-150 on a receiver w/optical, and $50 on the bookshelf + 100 on powered sub.

Offline phinix

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 06:07:39 »
I still say try the cheap 'power conditioner' linked above, some reviews say it reduces noise and worse case it doesn't work you just send it back to amazon.

I actually am using one now and still having that issue.

I would spend $50 on a set of bookshelf speakers,  $75-100 for a powered subwoofer.

$20-40 on a Tri-amp

$20 on an optical DAC.

OR,  you can spend $100-150 on a receiver w/optical, and $50 on the bookshelf + 100 on powered sub.

I know I could solve it with money by buying new stuff, but don't want to spend too much if this cannot be fixed.

I'm planning to move house in a year, once moved I will buy kick-ass sound setup, but for now I wanted to see if there is really easy way to fix it.

If not, I will just turn my lights on and off every 5 minutes when it happens  ;D

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 21:58:04 »
Sometimes, the speakers themselves aren't well shielded (or extremely sensitive to EMI) and can emit a very annoying and loud buzzing and crackling noise. I'd experienced this when I swapped to my recently built Ryzen PC. Previously, my Rokit5 G3's were hooked up to my PC via my Oppo HA-1 DAC combo (PC (optical -> Opp HA-1 -> (L/R 3pin Balanced cables) Rokit5 G3) and it was perfect, absolutely no noise at all. I could not use mobo onboard audio (PC minijack -> speakers' L/R RCA jacks) because the speakers made a ruckus with the loud buzzing and crackling noise.

This happened as well on my Ryzen build when I connect the Rokit5's to the onboard audio (using minijack -> L/R RCA, onboard audio's supposed to be shielded I think, plus very good Sabre DAC). I had to give up my speakers/monitors because I didn't wanna always use my Oppo HA-1 whenever I want to listen to music, or watch a movie as I want my HA-1 to be used as a headamp. I went and got a Philips Fidelio HTL9100 soundbar, hooked it up to onboard audio via minijack -> L/R RCA inputs on the soundbar and it was absolutely silent, I mean no buzzing or/and crackling that is, NOT that it wasn't working. :p