Author Topic: Post Your Cameras!  (Read 42026 times)

Offline widdlekitty

Post Your Cameras!
« on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 12:46:02 »
Thought this would be a fun one. I'm just as sick with cameras as I am with keyboards.

Here is my Leica M3 (all mechanical ;) ) with original Rigid Summicron 50mm, circa 1956. Purchased this thing in the most sorry of states at an estate sale. Dents, covered in dirt, the leather was rotting off. The best I can tell, the thing was kept in a damp basement for the past 40 years. Sent it to a camera tech who completely disassembled, cleaned/tuned, and put back together both the lens and the camera body. Brand new leather, too. The thing works like a dream now, and is one of my favorite cameras to shoot with.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Post Your Cameras!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 13:30:41 »
That's a cool camera... but with what cam did you photograph your cam? ;)

I want to get back into photography... considering the D5500 and D7200.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:17:36 »

That's what I was thinking, if I post mine here it'll be a potato since I'm not using it to shoot :p

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:46:47 »

That's what I was thinking, if I post mine here it'll be a potato since I'm not using it to shoot :p

Shoot with that cam in the mirror :P

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 15:05:23 »
5 mega pixelz baby

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 15:11:33 »
I've had the Canon Powershot S60 one when it came out and use it for a couple of years. Recently thrown it away.. it really is a crappy camera nowadays, except for the white balance:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 15:29:30 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:34:30 by alienman82 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 15:31:05 »
I love canon lenses :)  Might end up getting a Canon DSLR in the future.  Canon FD film camera too :thumb:

Nice collection! What ya like about canon lenses? I always thought Canon has this habit of changing lens mounts over time, making the collection useless on newer bodies. Or is that bad intel?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 15:34:33 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:34:25 by alienman82 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 15:35:45 »
I love canon lenses :)  Might end up getting a Canon DSLR in the future.  Canon FD film camera too :thumb:

Nice collection! What ya like about canon lenses? I always thought Canon has this habit of changing lens mounts over time, making the collection useless on newer bodies. Or is that bad intel?

The old FD lenses are really cheap, and work pretty good with the adapter.  The 50mm was only $20 shipped.  The 17-40mm L lens I found a really good deal on, so I decided to try a DSLR lens with the adapter, and it works well too, but AF is really slow.  Still, I love the lenses I have.

Here's a pic I took with the $20 50mm

Show Image

Wow that's a nice pic. Nice detail, shadows, and color. So it's true... lenses more important than body.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 15:38:05 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:34:20 by alienman82 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 16:12:46 »

The old FD lenses are really cheap, and work pretty good with the adapter.  The 50mm was only $20 shipped.  The 17-40mm L lens I found a really good deal on, so I decided to try a DSLR lens with the adapter, and it works well too, but AF is really slow.  Still, I love the lenses I have.

Show Image

Wow that's a nice pic. Nice detail, shadows, and color. So it's true... lenses more important than body.

Well body is a Full Frame mirrorless which is still $1100

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera/dp/B00FRDUZXM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460234259&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+A7+body

Mmmm looks nice. Don't want to hijack the thread... but what'd you prefer? the sony A7 or the nikon d7200?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 16:16:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:34:15 by alienman82 »

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 16:21:14 »

Show Image

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera/dp/B00FRDUZXM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460234259&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+A7+body

Mmmm looks nice. Don't want to hijack the thread... but what'd you prefer? the sony A7 or the nikon d7200?

Those aren't exactly comparable cameras...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 16:31:14 »

Show Image

Those aren't exactly comparable cameras...

I see now. Never mind, I've never asked!  :-X

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 16:39:50 »
It's too dark for photos now but have a Nikon D5000 with a the 18-55 kit and a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 Tele-macro. It's kinda old but still can get some great shots that I never get round to editing.

Upgrading to the Canon 6D with a 50 f1.8 and then a month afterwards probably a 27-40 f4L.

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:43:47 »
Thought this would be a fun one. I'm just as sick with cameras as I am with keyboards.

Here is my Leica M3 (all mechanical ;) ) with original Rigid Summicron 50mm, circa 1956. Purchased this thing in the most sorry of states at an estate sale. Dents, covered in dirt, the leather was rotting off. The best I can tell, the thing was kept in a damp basement for the past 40 years. Sent it to a camera tech who completely disassembled, cleaned/tuned, and put back together both the lens and the camera body. Brand new leather, too. The thing works like a dream now, and is one of my favorite cameras to shoot with.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Woah sweet camera!  I always wanted an M2 or M3 :)  What film do you like to use?

5 mega pixelz baby

Show Image

still takes amazing pics!

Here is my setup:

Show Image

black and white: tri-x, mostly because I'm so accustomed to it now, and know what I can get out of it.

color: fuji pro400h. again, similar to above.

M cameras are a lot of fun, but can become a very expensive hobby if you're not careful.

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 15:29:59 »

Leica Part Deux.

Wetzlar Leica M6 'Classic' (circa 1986) with Summicron-M 50mm Lens.

This guy has the benefit of the on board light meter, but otherwise a completely mechanical beast.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 15:33:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:33:10 by alienman82 »

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 15:37:49 »
you have m3 and m6 omg

Its a problem. I had the m6 first, and then I saw the m3 that was all but bound for the trash. It just sort of happened, and then I became too attached to both to let either get away. :llama:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 15:50:24 »
Show Image

Leica Part Deux.

This guy has the benefit of the on board light meter, but otherwise a completely mechanical beast.

That textured shell looks soo awesome.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 15:53:01 »
If you are going to take a cam pic with a diff cam, at least do the worker the favor of a cam pic back. Ya know... like a reacharound.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 13:24:20 »
Damn widdlekitty. Those Leica's look awesome. I've been wanting to get into film cameras but I'm so overwhelmed. Not really sure where to start and I want to try before I buy which really doesn't help my cause. So instead i just shoot film on my Instax. Not exactly the same but it's fun.

I'll try and take a picture of all the cameras I currently use when I'm at home later. I got something new in the mailbox right now hehe.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 13:33:17 »
Still using my a6k here.  Thinking about picking up a couple more lenses for it, though.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 13:36:02 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:29:16 by alienman82 »

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 12:59:07 »
Damn widdlekitty. Those Leica's look awesome. I've been wanting to get into film cameras but I'm so overwhelmed. Not really sure where to start and I want to try before I buy which really doesn't help my cause. So instead i just shoot film on my Instax. Not exactly the same but it's fun.

I'll try and take a picture of all the cameras I currently use when I'm at home later. I got something new in the mailbox right now hehe.

If you're going to start getting your feet wet with film cameras, I certainly don't recommend making the leap to Leica! If you have canon or nikon lenses for dslr, it might be worth checking out what used film cameras will accept those.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 02:08:37 »

If you're going to start getting your feet wet with film cameras, I certainly don't recommend making the leap to Leica! If you have canon or nikon lenses for dslr, it might be worth checking out what used film cameras will accept those.

Sony might also be good for a transition, right? The Minolta lenses should work with a bunch of film bodies. If not that, I'd second a look at Nikon's F-Mount film bodies - F mount hasn't changed much since it was introduced > 50 years ago (something Canon cannot say - they dumped FD mount in the late 80s for what we have now, EF mount.)
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 07:02:50 »
I love the Canon STM lenses, work great for travel, as they are quite light, decent AF speed and sharpness. I've got the "STM trinity", 10-18, 18-55, 55-250. Will e adding the 50mm F1.8 STM to it soon. What I really need though is the Tamron 150-600, the wildlife here in South Africa is amazing, and the 55-250 is just not enough reach.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 08:30:45 »
I've got my Nikon D7200 (with 18-140 kit telelens) and I've been using it for 2-3 weeks now. It's really an awesome camera. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to not shoot sharp if you get the hang of autofocus.

Horse going about 20kmh (lateral AND depth movement):

135209-0

Sort of macro photo:

135211-1

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 08:31:21 »
I'll post my setup later. Still have the OG Sony Nex-5 with a bunch of manual and Sony lenses.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 08:59:23 »
I've got my Nikon D7200 (with 18-140 kit telelens) and I've been using it for 2-3 weeks now. It's really an awesome camera. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to not shoot sharp if you get the hang of autofocus.

(Attachment Link)

Sort of macro photo:

(Attachment Link)

The chromatic aberration in the picture of the horse... Oh god.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:12:21 »

(Attachment Link)

Sort of macro photo:

(Attachment Link)

Good point... may have to do with me still learning how to postedit properly in lightroom.

EDIT: Any idea how I got chromatic aberration in the first place in that shot?
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:14:10 by iLLucionist »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:33:49 »

There. I've fixed it:

135218-0

Offline Kemindo

• one world one promise
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:54:22 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Woah sweet camera!  I always wanted an M2 or M3 :)  What film do you like to use?

5 mega pixelz baby

Show Image

still takes amazing pics!

Here is my setup:

Show Image

Sony's fan as well ...... Sony for life ...... U should up to a7r ii ^___^
Peace and Service

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 13:21:51 »
hopefully have some time to repair the lightmeter

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 14:02:02 »
Show Image

Nice!  I've got a couple old Polaroids I've had kicking around for quite a few years.  I'd like to get them going one of these days..

Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 00:17:27 »
Show Image

Nice!  I've got a couple old Polaroids I've had kicking around for quite a few years.  I'd like to get them going one of these days..

Show Image

whoa nice cameras! with the flash also!
from what i heard, they stop the production of the film :( can try search for expired ones

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 18:46:58 »

You shot wide open with the kit lens - that's all it really takes. The 18-140 isn't known for being a great lens - it's a good walkaround lens (and virtually no walkaround lens with that amount of range will be great optically while wide open.) Stop it down some and it'll improve. I keepmy 18-200 around because it's the one lens that does almost everything (it doesn't do super telephoto and it doesn't do super wide angle, which I have separate lenses I'll carry if I know I want that.) Also consider keeping some prime lenses around - they typically have good optics for relatively cheap.

Nikon has a new DX 16-80mm lens that is super high quality for its range while also going pretty wide for a zoom lens. If you have that kind of money lying around, consider it. Else, think about prime lenses maybe or just increase exposure time or ISO and go a stop or two down.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 20:53:03 »

my boring ol' a6k
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:04:36 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:11:47 by alienman82 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:52:56 »
Show Image

my boring ol' a6k

get a 35mm prime yo

give me the money?

i have a 50mm

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 22:17:09 »
Show Image

Leica Part Deux.

phew its in the wishlist section when i start working life next year :-[

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:40:57 »

You shot wide open with the kit lens - that's all it really takes. The 18-140 isn't known for being a great lens - it's a good walkaround lens (and virtually no walkaround lens with that amount of range will be great optically while wide open.) Stop it down some and it'll improve. I keepmy 18-200 around because it's the one lens that does almost everything (it doesn't do super telephoto and it doesn't do super wide angle, which I have separate lenses I'll carry if I know I want that.) Also consider keeping some prime lenses around - they typically have good optics for relatively cheap.

Nikon has a new DX 16-80mm lens that is super high quality for its range while also going pretty wide for a zoom lens. If you have that kind of money lying around, consider it. Else, think about prime lenses maybe or just increase exposure time or ISO and go a stop or two down.

Thanks, interesting to know. I thought the 18-140 kit lens got favorable reviews, saying they it's optimal around 120-130. Wasn't aware that you increase aberration when you open the lens.

I was planning on buying a -200 or -300mm lens for super tele but have to do my homework first. Lenses are really expensive!

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:53:11 »
Thanks, interesting to know. I thought the 18-140 kit lens got favorable reviews, saying they it's optimal around 120-130. Wasn't aware that you increase aberration when you open the lens.

I was planning on buying a -200 or -300mm lens for super tele but have to do my homework first. Lenses are really expensive!

It is probably good...for a kit lens.  ;)

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/Nikon-AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-18-140mm-F35-56G-ED-VR-mounted-on-Nikon-D5300---Measurements__919

Take a look at the results. For example, it's sharpest at f8 or so through its range. It's most distorted below 35mm. Its CA it best at f5.6 as long as you're above 35mm.

For super-telephoto, the DX 70-300 VR lens isn't bad (I have one, and I also have the older screw drive 70-300 that came out of Japan. Also good, though no VR and noisy screw drive.)

Primes will always win in sharpess, CA and such...but they require you to frame your shot by either moving the camera, or cropping the photo later.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 01:27:42 »

if only the polaroid film is not expensive

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 08:19:20 »
Mmmm cameras...

Here's my humble Canon 50D and the EF-S17-55 that I use 90% of the time.  The other 10% is with a 50mm and a 75-300mm.

137567-0

All the gaffer tape helps me stay safe in the 3rd world :))

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 22:14:03 »
My stormtrooper K-30.

« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2016, 22:18:09 by eksuen »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 16:16:15 »
Thrifted a Sony Mavica MVC-FD7. Instead of an SD card, it uses a 3.5" floppy disk.

As a comparison, here's the same canvas taken with my Samsung S7.

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2016, 16:23:57 by CPTBadAss »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 16:32:15 »
Confirmed. Buckling spring kills pigeons.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 03:40:43 »
Thrifted a Sony Mavica MVC-FD7. Instead of an SD card, it uses a 3.5" floppy disk.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

As a comparison, here's the same canvas taken with my Samsung S7.

Show Image

whoa a camera that used floppy disk?! i cant even