geekhack Community > geekhack Media

IBM (and now Alps) keyboard pixel art wallpaper generator [updated 2021-02-15]

(1/3) > >>

sharktastica:
Hi all!

Hopefully, this is the right place to post this (I couldn't find anything specific for art). But anyway, as per interest over at r/ModelM and deskthority Discords, I've developed a wallpaper generator using the IBM (and co) and Alps/Alps-mount keyboard pixel art I've made over the last few months for my website and for sharing on geekhack. As of right now, this is still a WIP with more features and options to come, but I already have something working, so feel free to have a play around with it and let me know what you think - constructive criticism is welcome!

https://sharktastica.co.uk/kb_wallpaper

Here's a sample of what it can output:

Currently, the customisation options are:
* Keyboard family filters: all IBM and co, Model B (beam spring) only, Model F only, Model M only, Model Ms minus POS/retail, POS/retail only, ThinkPad/TrackPoint only, buckling springs only (F + (M - M3, M4/M4-1, M7, M8, M9, M11)), capacitive switches only (B + F), all IBM and co + Alps/Alps-mount, Non-IBM Alps/Alps-mount keyboards only, Old Apple keyboards, Focus keyboards
* Resolutions: 1024x768, 1280x720, 1280x800, 1366x768, 1440x900, 1650x1050, 1600x1200, 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 2160x1350, 2560x1080, 2560x1440, 2960x1440, 3440x1440, 2736x1824, 3840x2160
* Vertical monitor/phone orientation
* Scaling: 1x, 2x and 4x
* Solid backgrounds: transparent, "dark" (#333333) and "light" (#E1E1E1), custom via colour picker
* Order styles: randomised, ascending or descending approximate time period order (loops after each completion)
* Row staggering
* Specific keyboard colour tones: all, light, dark, industrial, other
* Specific keyboard form factors: all, all minus keypads/sub-60%, keypads/sub-60% only, 60% only, TKL only, full-size only, battlecruiser/battleship only, behemoth only
* Random skips

Some final notes:
* Feel free to use and modify results as you please. If you want to rehost results on your website or blog though, I'd appreciate some credit.
* Big credit and kudos to sealcouch of geekhack for the inspiration behind the icons themselves.
* Pending the lack of custom background options, you can of course overlay a transparent result over an image of your choosing. If you have Photoshop or GIMP, this will be a piece of cake. Although, you can even do this in mspaint; open up your background, copy a transparent result in using "Paste from", immediately click "Select", click "Transparent select", align.

Note: bolded text indicates new features or changes added since the original post.

Enjoy, and feel free to share what you come up with here!

------------------------------------------------------------------

List of updates is now hosted on a dedicated update log found here: https://sharktastica.co.uk/kb_wallpaper_updates

DarthChrisDK:
That is bloody brilliant! Good job!

sharktastica:

--- Quote from: DarthChrisDK on Mon, 23 November 2020, 10:56:25 ---That is bloody brilliant! Good job!

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the kind words!  :D

sharktastica:
Update 2020-12-05

Hey all, got some neat updates for the wallpaper generator:
* 4x scaling option is now available.
* Cropping is a bit smarter now. Since the icons themselves are stored at the same set resolution (128x90), resolutions that don't allow for an integer amount of icons (for example, 1920x1080 only allows 7.5 icons at 2x scale on one row) require a crop. Before today, the crop only applied on the right side and thus looked quite ugly. Now, the crop is uniform.
* Custom background colours now added; to use, select "Custom Colour" as your solid background option then click the colour picker button to use

Before the crop update - note the crop only applies to the right side:

After the crop update - note the crop now applies to all sides:

An example of a custom background:

pixelpusher:
really fun. 

Here's mine that I'm using for dual 1440p monitors:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version