Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3500960 times)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15950 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 21:29:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:51:41 by alienman82 »

Offline spremino

« Reply #15951 on: Fri, 23 June 2017, 14:15:16 »
On an AT101W (or AT102W) can you swap the key caps? or are they contoured (i.e. the key caps on different rows have different profiles)?
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #15952 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 16:13:24 »
On an AT101W (or AT102W) can you swap the key caps? or are they contoured (i.e. the key caps on different rows have different profiles)?

They're contoured. You could swap Q and W and it'd be fine, but if you swapped Q and Z it'd be weird.

Offline ___q

« Reply #15953 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 21:45:26 »
Does anyone happen to have the/a program that can be used to generate .hex files for the Kingsaver (which can then be flashed with Amtel Flip)? This post links to it, but the site seems to be dead.

Thanks!

EDIT: Found it here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 June 2017, 22:25:36 by ___q »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15954 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 10:48:22 »
With longer spacers, could we use the GMK trays for SA keycaps? Has anyone tried this? Are there longer spacers available...?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15955 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 10:59:29 »
With longer spacers, could we use the GMK trays for SA keycaps? Has anyone tried this? Are there longer spacers available...?

I think the SA caps would be too tall for the GMK trays to close, I don't know for sure though maybe someone who has one on hand can clarify.

Offline shekki

« Reply #15956 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 19:37:03 »
What is the best way to clean up aka unlube cherry switches lubed with krytox? I am trying to thoroughly clean the disassembled switches, and the housing/stem/spring have all been lubed. I've read that krytox is insoluble to a lot of compounds, would 99% isopropyl alcohol not work?

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #15957 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 19:58:12 »

I think the SA caps would be too tall for the GMK trays to close, I don't know for sure though maybe someone who has one on hand can clarify.

It would be too tall to close traditionally but you could likely rig something to hold it together instead of the provided pins and have success.

Offline GunPoint

« Reply #15958 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 04:19:45 »
hello guys! just got my pack of kailh gold switches from massdrop today. I am planning to build a new keyboard using these and i notices that i can actually fit two 2x3x4 diodes into it. So i wonder, if there any way to invert phase of backlight in qmk firmware? i saw some similar discussion somewhere but can not find it right now.... thank u m8s.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15959 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 09:20:00 »

It would be too tall to close traditionally but you could likely rig something to hold it together instead of the provided pins and have success.

Well,yes... That's the point - the spacer/clip/plastic dingeling isn't long enough to accept anything larger than GMK R1 (R5...?) keycaps, but if I used longer spacers presumably they would fit. I wanted to know if anyone has tried it.

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #15960 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 09:26:37 »

Well,yes... That's the point - the spacer/clip/plastic dingeling isn't long enough to accept anything larger than GMK R1 (R5...?) keycaps, but if I used longer spacers presumably they would fit. I wanted to know if anyone has tried it.
I remembered watching a video about it and them mentioning that it should work with new pins. Just checked back and it looks like they didn't actually test it as much as suggest someone should try to do it.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15961 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 12:07:39 »
So people will keep suggesting it until someone does it... ;)

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #15962 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 12:27:41 »
Here's your chance to shine!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15963 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 12:37:24 »
Here's your chance to shine!

The only problem is my lack of english vocabulary. I have no idea what I'm looking for...

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #15964 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 13:59:27 »
Does anyone know if this keycap cover will fit the Norbauer case for the novatouch?
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline teraflame

« Reply #15965 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 12:44:17 »
Whats the realistic longevity of a topre keyboard? I've heard that the rubber will stiffen over time. How bad will it get, unusable? And there are currently no solutions other than to buy a completely new board, if only for the domes?
Rubber in domes

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15966 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 13:25:48 »
Whats the realistic longevity of a topre keyboard? I've heard that the rubber will stiffen over time. How bad will it get, unusable? And there are currently no solutions other than to buy a completely new board, if only for the domes?

I have yet to see anyone have a topre board become unusable due to domes becoming too stiff.

In my opinion it isn't anything to be concerned about.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline gruener_Salat

« Reply #15967 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 10:02:45 »
So how do you solder these SIP sockets to hold resistors? I think they are too tiny and wobbly to put the pcb onto them + they wouldn't be aligned properly.
Add a little amount of solder onto the top side so that they are fixed and then on the other side the regular trough hole joint? or just bend the lead?

Offline Worthless_Owl

« Reply #15968 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 20:30:20 »

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #15969 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 09:11:18 »

I have yet to see anyone have a topre board become unusable due to domes becoming too stiff.

In my opinion it isn't anything to be concerned about.

Yeah, the only time I have heard of that happening was when it was left in a box for a couple years after someone had moved or something. I can't remember where I saw that, but it's definitely out of the ordinary: maybe a combination of inadequate storage, air quality, sun exposure, or something.

And to answer the other question: jchan is currently doing an interest check for 55g domes - you could probably use those to replace bad domes.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #15970 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 09:45:42 »
What keyboard is this?

https://ibb.co/cK5Bpa
https://ibb.co/iset2v

Would really help to see pictures of the underside.
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline emptyk

« Reply #15971 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 11:23:00 »
Two somewhat related quick questions.

1. Do Cherry brown switches get stiffer/heavier with age?

2. Are Cherry brown switches lighter than they used to be (comparing a new keyboard with browns vs one that is 3-4 years ago)?

Thanks.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15972 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 11:28:33 »

2. Are Cherry brown switches lighter than they used to be (comparing a new keyboard with browns vs one that is 3-4 years ago)?

Thanks.

If anything they would get smoother and thus slightly lighter with age.

And if they seem lighter now it is because they could be the new smoother molds possibly.

Offline emptyk

« Reply #15973 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 11:38:31 »

Thanks.

If anything they would get smoother and thus slightly lighter with age.

And if they seem lighter now it is because they could be the new smoother molds possibly.

Thanks for the quick answers. Interesting, the new browns feel light and mushy to me. Undesirably so.

Offline Worthless_Owl

« Reply #15974 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 22:05:48 »
What keyboard is this?

https://ibb.co/iHjXkF
Nothing on the underside

https://ibb.co/cGYQ5F
And it uses this switch, not sure what this is.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #15975 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 11:01:35 »
What keyboard is this?

https://ibb.co/iHjXkF
Nothing on the underside

https://ibb.co/cGYQ5F
And it uses this switch, not sure what this is.

Hm, the switch looks like an Alps mount, could be a variant of this one: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps.tw_Type_OD1

It seems like only one other board has been photographed with a similar switch:
https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/costar-csk-1102s-ver-1-5-apparently-with-alps-tw-type-od1-t13871.html

Definitely head over to Deskthority and ask them, they're going to love this! I'd also advise to open the keyboard and check inside, there might be a model number on the PCB. It could be that you're currently the only person in possession of a board with this particular switch, consider yourself lucky!

Oh and if you do post on DT, please PM me a link, I'd love to see what comes from this!
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #15976 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 11:59:02 »
Is it possible to spray the silver case of my octagon and rs96 black? Will it ruin the case or look bad?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #15977 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 18:19:11 »
Is it possible to spray the silver case of my octagon and rs96 black? Will it ruin the case or look bad?

Spray paint won't ruin an aluminum case, whether or not it looks good depends on how good you are at spray painting.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15978 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 07:47:21 »
What's the colour of a two cent piece?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15979 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 22:05:11 »
What's the colour of a two cent piece?

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15980 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 07:24:23 »
Beautiful coin!

US coinage is excruciatingly boring these days. We had a brief period of interesting coins in the early-mid 20th century.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #15981 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 12:53:01 »
Is there a purple and white or just purple gmk set?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15982 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 19:57:37 »
anyone know where i can get a good quality decent length USB-A -> USB-Micro-B cable shipped to the US? i bought the one for my beamer from Monoprice a while back but they don't seem to stock the same cable inventory that they used to?

EDIT: Weird, found the same one I previously purchased on Amazon... k.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L18S0E/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 July 2017, 20:01:29 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15983 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 19:54:03 »

Not that I'm aware of. You could probably get pretty close by doing GMK purple mods with white or beige alphas.

Pretty sure there was a JTK purple & white at some point, depending on how badly you want GMK.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #15984 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 15:43:57 »

Not that I'm aware of. You could probably get pretty close by doing GMK purple mods with white or beige alphas.

Pretty sure there was a JTK purple & white at some point, depending on how badly you want GMK.

GMK purple mods with GMK hyperfuse alphas.

Offline Tagkaman

« Reply #15985 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 03:01:58 »
Is there a way to inexpensively convert a standard wired keyboard to have a detachable cable without the need for any soldering? The keyboard I'm working on has a 5 pin socket on the pcb that you can pull the cable out of and I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to buy a part that would just run that 5 pin port on the pcb into a mini/micro usb female port that you could stick on the case, but as much as I've looked I can't find anything.
Meka G1 (Cherry Black) | Anne Pro (Gat Blue) | Z77 (Vintage Black)

Offline mTwTT1

« Reply #15986 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 05:27:25 »
I think i'm finally getting bored of my Realforce (after 5 years). Was thinking about trying out a Novatouch for gaming, i'd mostly use it to play RTS games like Broodwar.

I haven't kept up with the new boards but i've heard good things about the Novatouch, reviews have been good and the build looks solid. Both the Novatouch and Realforce use Topre switches but i wanted to get some 1st hand feedback on whether or not they both feel the same. Double tapping keys is extremely important for me so i need it to feel effortless, also does the Novatouch come in 45G? Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 August 2017, 05:31:29 by mTwTT1 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15987 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 08:32:48 »
Is there a way to inexpensively convert a standard wired keyboard to have a detachable cable without the need for any soldering? The keyboard I'm working on has a 5 pin socket on the pcb that you can pull the cable out of and I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to buy a part that would just run that 5 pin port on the pcb into a mini/micro usb female port that you could stick on the case, but as much as I've looked I can't find anything.

I have taken apart dozens of keyboards, and the connection at the controller is different for virtually every one of them.

The easy solution to wiring is to sacrifice the original and connect the wires from the original cable to the back of the USB port.
But I don't think that a straight wire connection will be enough, you will probably need some minimal additional circuitry in there.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mTwTT1

« Reply #15988 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 06:21:18 »
Is there a topre keyboard with the same compact layout as the Noppoo Choc Mini? Basically a compact topre board with f keys.

Or do you guys know a good compact membrane keyboard? The Cherry ML4100 has a good layout but i heard that the switches need a lot of oiling, any other similar membrane boards available?
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 August 2017, 06:36:29 by mTwTT1 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15989 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 06:41:02 »
Is there a topre keyboard with the same compact layout as the Noppoo Choc Mini? Basically a compact topre board with f keys.

Or do you guys know a good compact membrane keyboard? The Cherry ML4100 has a good layout but i heard that the switches need a lot of oiling, any other similar membrane boards available?
You might look here www.nizkeyboard.com/product-category/niz-capacitive/

Offline mTwTT1

« Reply #15990 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 06:50:07 »
Plum84 looks very interesting, thx. Looks like there's only a 35g version of it tho.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15991 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 08:32:27 »
Plum84 looks very interesting, thx. Looks like there's only a 35g version of it tho.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90810.0

Offline Daniel

« Reply #15992 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 09:10:15 »
Hey
What are these white backlit keycaps (from QWERTY and below, the normal white ones {not the artisan and not the gradient)?
https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/hammer-jello-artisan-keycap/361A5635_20170811153722.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=955&dpr=1

It looks great and I'm trying to do something similar, I found the gradient top row but I can't find the white ones (I guess some backlit pbt, but which ones specifically I can't tell)
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 August 2017, 09:52:31 by Daniel »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15993 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 09:29:43 »
Hey
What are these keycaps (from QWERTY and below, the white ones)?
https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/hammer-jello-artisan-keycap/361A5635_20170811153722.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=955&dpr=1

It looks great and I'm trying to do something similar, I found the gradient top row but I can't find the white ones (I guess some backlit pbt, but which ones specifically I can't tell)

Huh? Those artisans look like they were designed for keyboards with TrackPoints. Interesting..

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #15994 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 12:03:44 »
i got a couple questions:
1) how to i add a picture in my post so that is shows up in the tapatalk feed? what i mean is as you scroll through topics some have pictures just below the title.  that's what I'm trying to do.
2) why are some topics bold face and others regular font?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline teamrushpntball

« Reply #15995 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 17:59:48 »
So, I assume this is the best place to ask this:  Is there a keyboard with no f-row but still has numpad?  Ideally numpad on left?

Dream would be a 60% with attached left numpad.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15996 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 18:18:44 »
So, I assume this is the best place to ask this:  Is there a keyboard with no f-row but still has numpad?  Ideally numpad on left?

Photo: koalapear (The Monarch w/left-hand placed right-hand oriented numpad)

[GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK Initially comes to mind but there's probably a current/easily accessible model available that I'm not aware of

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15997 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 21:14:25 »

Show Image

Photo: koalapear (The Monarch w/left-hand placed right-hand oriented numpad)

[GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK Initially comes to mind but there's probably a current/easily accessible model available that I'm not aware of

This might interest you

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #15998 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 04:50:31 »
I want to build an alp-switch keyboard. Where can I buy switchs (who ship in France) ?
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #15999 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 04:24:27 »
Pretty sure it doesn't but just to make sure, the Poker II/Poker 2 doesn't have the ability to use the regular number row keys are number pad/numpad keys via some Fn combo does it?