Author Topic: Mech4Free?!  (Read 1830 times)

Offline 0point0

• Infinite monkey
Mech4Free?!
« on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:41:32 »
Hello! I've had a mostly passive interest in mechanicals for the better part of a year now. I've been subscribed to /r/MechanicalKeyboards and always enjoy seeing the pictures of the gorgeous keyboards that you guys build. Until now I've never really been able to justify putting down $120+. The other day I was sitting idle at work, looked down at my Dell membrane and realized just how much time I spend banging away at that thing. I recently started a new job and they are really big on making us happy with PC goodies like multiple monitor set ups, ergonomics, etc. What better way to get into mechs than to create a justification for your job to buy you one! So, I'm looking to get a QFR with Greens while they're still available on Amazon. My only worry is whether they'll bother anyone around me. I'd like to get a switch tester, but it seems like everyone is sold out right now. Oh well, worst case I could always swap it out for one with Browns!

This is a wonderful community; excited to be a part of it.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: Mech4Free?!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:48:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Greens are a great switch! They will have a pretty distinct audible feedback, but hopefully your co-workers won't mind.  :)

There's always the option of o-rings which might help with the noise a bit. 

Sorry to hear you couldn't find any switch testers, hopefully CM will restock theirs soon!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:54:08 »
If there is any decent amount of background/white noise it shouldn't be a problem.  If it is a library type environment then its probably a no go.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 0point0

• Infinite monkey
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 13:34:44 »
I'm not too worried about it, the guys I work with are not generally complainers and we all have separate cubes. That's a good point about white noise though, I have a window unit that I could just run the fan on.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 16:56:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

This was typed on greens - they're fantastic!

You might get one person who is annoyed by the high-pitched clicking, but on the other hand you might encourage a few others to get mechanical boards too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 0point0

• Infinite monkey
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 16:59:53 »
And then we'll really annoy the piss out of that one guy :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:02:08 »
And then we'll really annoy the piss out of that one guy :)

Yep! :))

I've got one guy near me with MX blues (actually my keyboard that he is borrowing) and I've got MX greens.  Between us is another guy with a membrane keyboard, but when he gets going pounding away at his keyboard sometimes I can't hear the mechanicals!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 0point0

• Infinite monkey
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:13:37 »
That's so true. In fact, when I first got to this office I heard some furiously loud typing and went over expecting to see a model M or something and it turned out to be just a Dell multimedia board. It was an older gentleman who clearly learned on a typewriter!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:20:50 »
FWIW MX greens are not as loud as Model M, but the click is a higher pitched.  But greens are about as close as you'll get to a Model M.

Or just get a Model M :p