Author Topic: GH60++ Possibilities for 65, 70 & 75% full-custom keyboard designs  (Read 54697 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
I've posted a few times in various threads about a GH-custom keyboard layout larger than a GH60 but with all the reconfigurability of a GH60.  I've been calling it the GH60++, and this is its own thread.  (Apologies to any thread owners where I took things OT.)

So here is a 75% keyboard layout I like:

11201-0
Theoretical 75% keyboard layout.

AFAIK, it can't be made on any PCB or plate available today.  What I envision for the GH60++ is a variety of sizes with a common core.
GH60++ 60%  5x15
GH60++ 65%  5x16
GH60++ 70%  6x15
GH60++ 75%  6x16

Here they are again in ascending size order:

11203-1
GH60++ 60%  5x15

11205-2
GH60++ 65%  5x16

11207-3
GH60++ 70%  6x15

11209-4
GH60++ 75%  6x16

So much for pretty pictures.  I can make them all day.  But to make the keyboards real we need:
 - Layouts
 - PCBs
 - Plates
 - Cases
 - Keycap Sets

All of those skills exist in this community, and right now all of them are working on other projects, especially the GH60 itself.  So this thread is for discussion of possibilities for now.  IC and GB threads will come after the GH60 is a real keyboard we can all build and type on.

One thing that is interesting to me is the possibility of a multi-use PCB for the GH 60++. This approach is used in other industries, although I've never seen it used in keyboards.  Basically it would be a 75% PCB with a couple of break-lines to enable it to be used in all four configurations.  Something like this:

11211-5
GH60++ 75% PCB with break lines for 60, 65, and 70% sizes.

For now, all of the above is just a discussion-starter.  The real GH60 is the place for real work to keep happening.  I might make up some physical mock-ups and perhaps sketch a case design or two, but that is it for now.

I look forward to the comments of anyone interested in this topic!

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2013, 09:16:27 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: GH60++ Posibilities for 65, 70 & 75% full-custom keyboard designs
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:58:28 »
Attachments are all invalid...

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:03:29 »
Attachments are all invalid...

Fixed.  Upload failed when done all at once, so I loaded them via modify.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:04:50 »
I think you have something there with the 65% layout! Nice work. I look forward to this going places.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:07:38 »
Might it be possible instead of having breaks to have smaller PCBs that could slot into the main one/each other? That might be overboard, but it seems like a nice idea if it's possible.

Offline regack

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:09:32 »
So the GH60++ 60% is essentially a GH60... but shares the same design as the 6x16, and possibly (with perforated PCB or something similar) the same actual PCB. Basically, one PCB to rule them all...

edit: the disturbing part of this, is that I can sort of see how I would want to have one of each...
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:11:11 by regack »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:48:23 »
Really interesting. I am still a n00b here, but here is the challenges I expect:

PCB: Don't know if it would be possible, but lets say it would, so then...
Plate: Probably the same as PCB, hard but possible, probably easier than the PCB since theres nothing "in" it. But cutting it with precision after it is produced would be hard. People are talking of lasez cutting with these to get enough precision, so...
Keys: Your design seems to use the same layout with additionnal keys when you increase the size, but the 75% set would fit them all. But now it would not support all the variations that some prefer. It would need to be some kind of one size fits all or something like that.
Case: Can't make a generic case that you could just cut (unless someone is a real genius). So we would probably have to make one for each setup. Still it could be the same design, with variations on the size.

It could be interesting to evaluate the gain of a universal pcb that you can cut over a universal pcb design with 4 variations. Same with plate and case.

Still, I think that once you have a final GH60, making these variations are not that hard (aint diminishing the hard work that is done here, just saying that making a 75% should not be harder than a 60%), but supporting many different design brings challenges and costs, but it also increase the market  ;D

In the end, supporting more sizes will probably mean more work to be done, and with all the projects I see running here, that's no small thing. Still having some standard that we could greatly reuse with each project would be awesome, but it's what most of the stuff here is in a certain way.

Anyway, very interesting +++  ;D
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:49:20 »
Just going to post this over here since I have already spammed it everywhere else.
My perfect layout: http://i.imgur.com/3goQY.gif + matching numpad

It wasn't too long ago when there were NO small ISO boards. Now there is the GH60, Hypers and now this. I was going to take the GH60 just because it is the first opportunity ever to have a smaller ISO board, but this thread is even better.

Offline pasph

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 18:51:32 »
I like 65% and 75% way more than 60%.
bpiphany is thinking to a similar "multi-use PCB" for the Phantom V2 (TKL <-> full).
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 19:35:55 »
I like 65% and 75% way more than 60%.
bpiphany is thinking to a similar "multi-use PCB" for the Phantom V2 (TKL <-> full).

Yes, I started out looking at 65% and 75% versions of the GH60.  And if the board can have 5 or 6 rows, and 15 or 16 columns, then there are four possibilities.

Me?  I'd like the 65% for the arrows and the programmable keys on the right.  And I like everything about my Choco Mini 75% except that it isn't programmable.  The other sizes (60% and 70%) exist because they are a sub-set of the natural geometry of the splittable board.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 01:00:27 »
This looks like a good idea, but one difficulty I see is designing traces that run in between the narrow area between two breakout holes.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 07:26:37 »
This looks like a good idea, but one difficulty I see is designing traces that run in between the narrow area between two breakout holes.

Thanks and agreed.  Worst case a ribbon cable bridge.  Best case we need n+1 traces per segment if we put the top row on a single electrical row and the RH column on a single electrical column.  So at two traces per switch, we need two bits of solid substrate every half inch.  I think that would be do-able.

Also, I think for strength we'd want the full-size PCB to be rigid enough to use without a plate, so "breaking" it would really mean "cutting it along the lines."  If so, perhaps the row of holes is just painted on.  A Dremel or better would be needed.

I have no idea how a multi-size plate could be made, however.  I don't want to be Dremeling a stainless steel plate!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:14:07 »
I like the 65% layout. Looks like something I could pretty easily cart along with my laptop. It's built in chiclet is good (a pleasure to type on, maybe a bit heavy), but a Mechanical keyboard to cart along with would pretty good. The switches would depend on how I like the Greens that I'm putting in my Phantom. Maybe a compromise switch like Blues.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 13:24:20 »
Yum!

I think a 7x4 keypad would be cool. I like some extra keys.
SmallFry! <3

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 11:26:45 »
I would also be interested in a numpad/keypad, and matching plastic case that look exactly like stock Poker.
Another thing I would be interested in would be a 60% + numpad as one pcb, and if breakable section, perhaps do 2x column also on the left for function or macro key like model f at style. Another layout I wouldn't mind having and that I don't think has been done well yet or at all for kit boards.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 11:28:56 »
I would also be interested in a numpad/keypad, and matching plastic case that look exactly like stock Poker.
Another thing I would be interested in would be a 60% + numpad as one pcb, and if breakable section, perhaps do 2x column also on the left for function or macro key like model f at style. Another layout I wouldn't mind having and that I don't think has been done well yet or at all for kit boards.

Love it!

F1-F10 on the left bank?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 11:33:26 »
Yeah, basically this but with all the updated options for the modifiers and stuff from the GH60 pcb in the main block, and make option for the numpad 0 enter and plus to be 2x unit keys or 2 1x for other things. PCB should only be as big as the plate, naturally not excessive like that...

Offline dirge

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 12:07:05 »
iso iso iso
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 17:37:35 »
I think it would fit, as this does not have in-switch LED diode pads to deal with. Also, you could orient 2 of the switches upside down to give more clearance between the pads, like is done on the Phantom at number row 4 and 5. I could be mistaken, though. I wish I knew how to use KiCAD.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 21:17:22 »

(Attachment Link)

I'm 100% behind this... that looks like a perfect layout for me. :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 03:26:02 »
The GH60++ 75% trimmable PCB is such a brilliant idea. I'm interested in both 65% and 75%.

I will definitely follow this.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 09:16:00 »
This topic has been split:

10-Key Pad for GH60++ << -- New Thread

GH60++ Possibilities for 65, 70 & 75% full-custom keyboard designs << -- Stay here to discuss 65% etc.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 09:50:01 »

(Attachment Link)

I'm 100% behind this... that looks like a perfect layout for me. :)

So my Race 75% has started to bow.  I was annoyed at its "special" key layout anyhow, so I am going to get a plate cut and create a hard-wired edition of that 75% layout.  It will simulate the GH60++, but because of its individual heritage, I will call it the eRace.

Pics and protos to follow.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 09:52:17 »
So my Race 75% has started to bow.  I was annoyed at its "special" key layout anyhow, so I am going to get a plate cut and create a hard-wired edition of that 75% layout.  It will simulate the GH60++, but because of its individual heritage, I will call it the eRace.

where do you get the race plate?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 09:57:48 »

where do you get the race plate?

I'm going to have an expanded poker plate cut as a one-off.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60++ Possibilities for 65, 70 & 75% full-custom keyboard designs
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 10:13:54 »
Two-off! GB...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: GH60++ Possibilities for 65, 70 & 75% full-custom keyboard designs
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 11:28:05 »
Two-off! GB...

OK, but you realize that there is no PCB for this, right?  We're talking diodes, ribbon cable and a teensy...

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 11:53:41 »
For some reason I thought you meant you were having a plate made for your Race. :/

No PCB? Sounds like some kind of wire-wrapping wet dream. :P

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 11:55:55 »
For some reason I thought you meant you were having a plate made for your Race. :/

No PCB? Sounds like some kind of wire-wrapping wet dream. :P

I'm having a plate made with the improved 75% layout.  Thus the Race PCB won't work.  The yet-to-be-designed GH60++ PCB would work, but alas, it is indeed yet-to-be-designed.

11354-0
A plate for 84 switches.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2013, 18:33:33 by samwisekoi »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 09:54:18 »
The eRace 75% plate is on its way to me now!  Time to get the Solder-Pullit ready for action!

Does anyone have a 1.75x Shift key they can spare?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 11:36:50 »
lovely! I want one of those! :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 12:57:53 »
Custom v.1 plate arrived (thanks Beast!) and was populated with Reds from a Rosewill 104 plus Cherry stabilizers from Mouser.  Mostly leftover keycaps were used, but the 1.75x full-width caps-lock keycap works fine as the 1.75x Shift_R keycap.  And since nearly all PBT keycap sets contain both a stepped and non-stepped caps-lock keycap, this board should be able to be populated with a normal keycap set.

[edit] This is sitting in the original Race keyboard "case."

The only really odd keycaps are the three 1x keycaps on the bottom row; I will use them as Alt_R, Fn, and Ctrl_R. For this proto build I used Riddler Keys.

I have made a v.2 plate drawing that includes some strengthening updates, including edges I will bend with my cheap metal break.  Once that comes in I will do the lowpoly diode wiring job and add a Teensy with Phantom firmware. (See http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20898.0 for lowpoly's mod.)

NOTE: I have some build photos on another camera; I will upload those soon-ish.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:07:12 by samwisekoi »

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 15:47:55 »
Custom v.1 plate arrived (thanks Beast!) and was populated with Reds from a Rosewill 104 plus Cherry stabilizers from Mouser.  Mostly leftover keycaps were used, but the 1.75x full-width caps-lock keycap works fine as the 1.75x Shift_R keycap.  And since nearly all PBT keycap sets contain both a stepped and non-stepped caps-lock keycap, this board should be able to be populated with a normal keycap set.

The only really odd keycaps are the three 1x keycaps on the bottom row; I will use them as Alt_R, Fn, and Ctrl_R. For this proto build I used Riddler Keys.

I have made a v.2 plate drawing that includes some strengthening updates, including edges I will bend with my cheap metal break.  Once that comes in I will do the lowpoly diode wiring job and add a Teensy with Phantom firmware. (See http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20898.0 for lowpoly's mod.)

NOTE: I have some build photos on another camera; I will upload those soon-ish.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

VERY cool. That's the 65%-er, right? Looks awesome, and I would love to get one of these.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 11:41:54 »
I have not updated this thread in a while, but have made much progress, so this is an interim update.

Done:
-  GH75 v.1 plate designed and made by Beast (thanks!)
-  GH75 v.1 wiring plan completed using a modified version of the Phantom R/C map to allow Teensy firmware creation
-  GH75 v.1 plate populated with 84 MX Red switches and installed in Race case
-  GH75 v.2 plate designed and ordered for next build
-  Keycaps installed.  Need normal set (e.g. Imsto) plus three 1x Escape row caps and three 1x bottom row caps.
    NOTE:  Escape row keycaps are easy to get; I used hammer & sickle from Techkeys. 
    Bottom row keys are harder. Techkeys has crystal and Riddler keys that fit; I used three Riddler keys.

-  Rows and columns hardwired following the Lowpoly method with some modifications.
-  Better, easier method determined for v.2 build.
-  Teensy hardwired to GH75 v.1
-  Better, easier method for connecting the Teensy via right-angle headers and sockets determined and parts ordered from Mouser.
-  TMK firmware obtained from Github and keymatrix and layout modified and the whole lot compiled to hex.

Next up:
-  Install and test firmware on v.1 (prototype) keyboard (in process)
-  Prep and build GH75 v.2 using improved methods and running a build log throughout.

Here is the GH75 (a.k.a. extended Race or eRace) as it sits today:

12888-0
Hardwired GH75 with Teensy under the F5/6 and 6/7 keys.

Here is the keymap for the GH75:

Code: [Select]

* ,---------------------------------------------------------------.
 * |Esc| F1| F2| F3| F4| F5| F6| F7| F8| F9|F10|F11|F12|Ins|Del|VDn| Fn-Del will be Mute and Fn-VolDn will be VolUp
 * |---------------------------------------------------------------|
 * |~  |  1|  2|  3|  4|  5|  6|  7|  8|  9|  0|  -|  =|Backsp |Hom|
 * |Tab  |  Q|  W|  E|  R|  T|  Y|  U|  I|  O|  P|  [|  ]|   \ |PgD|
 * |-----------------------------------------------------------|---|
 * |Caps  |  A|  S|  D|  F|  G|  H|  J|  K|  L|  ;|  '|Return  |PgD|
 * |-----------------------------------------------------------|---|
 * |Shift   |  Z|  X|  C|  V|  B|  N|  M|  ,|  .|  /|Shift |Up |End|
 * |Ctl|Win|Alt|          Space            |Alt| Fn|Ctl|Lef|Dow|Rig|
 * `---------------------------------------------------------------'

GH75 v.1 keymap. RH 3+4+3 keys for user assignment.

More to come; this is just an update on the v.1 Prototype.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 February 2013, 11:45:49 by samwisekoi »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 13:32:58 »

Here is the GH75 (a.k.a. extended Race or eRace) as it sits today:

(Attachment Link)
Hardwired GH75 with Teensy under the F5/6 and 6/7 keys.

this is fantastic, Ron! And it will look even more awesome with you-know-what keycaps! I'm looking forward to building my own! (suggested name xRace, though :) )

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 15:07:52 »
So this is essentially the noppo layout without the weird space bar?  Looks good.
Russ

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 15:47:33 »
So this is essentially the noppo layout without the weird space bar?  Looks good.

And programmable keys!  And normal USB.

Normal on the left, special on the right.  Fits in a Race case.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:52:07 »
Below is the first sample of a better method of Teensy connection via wires.  Shown in this picture is a Teensy 2.0, qty 2 2x12 header connector (holding up the Teensy in this photo) and a combination of single row and double row snap-off .10x.10 right-angle headers.  These combine with 22-26AWG hook-up wire and female connectors to make a flat connection from both sides of the Teensy.

Because the Teensy has inboard pin-outs, single-row connectors won't work.  And direct solder is bad for the board, and makes it hard to move wires.  This method enables you to solder the headers to the Teensy once, then arrange the wires in the 2x12 housings to fit the need.  A simpler single-row method would work for a Soarer application.  This is for the GH75 hardwire application that uses a modified version of the Phantom firmware -- and all of the Teensy's pins.

Note that the 2x12 housings are currently just supporting the Teensy because the headers are not soldered in place.  Once the headers are soldered on, the housings will connect from the sides, making the whole assembly nearly as short as the Teensy itself.

Sorry for the non-macro-lens photo.  These items just arrived and I wanted to get them posted right away in case anyone else is wondering how best to attach a Teensy without a socket.  (FYI, this approach will also work for PCB-mounting, as the leads extend .250 below the Teensy, and fill all the pins, unlike the Teensy-with-pins from PJRC.)

12946-0
Teensy 2.0 with .10x.10 right-angle headers.

Parts list:

qty 1 Teensy 2.0
qty 1 50P snappable single-row right-angle header (Mouser p/n 571-5-82947-0)
qty 1 2x16P snappable double-row right-angle header (Mouser p/n 571-1-826634-6)
qty 2 2x12C housing (Mouser p/n 649-65043-025LF)
qty 27 receptacle, 22-26AWG (Mouser p/n 649-47750-000LF)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:34:11 »
Ron, can you please explain further how you wired the eRace without a PCB? I'm very curious how to use that technique to prototype these boards. Thanks!

in memoriam

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:54:23 »
He has a plate and now this.  I think he is going to PtP wire the entire matrix.
Russ

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:57:17 »
Your new plate = soon™

^____^
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline regack

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:03:03 »
Ron, can you please explain further how you wired the eRace without a PCB? I'm very curious how to use that technique to prototype these boards. Thanks!

I'm guessing he did it like this (there was a reference up the page): http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20898.0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:12:32 »
Oh, I completely missed that link. Google search for lowpoly was fruitless. :)

Thanks!

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:13:01 »

Rknize is correct, and I have hard-wired the whole matrix for the v.1 eRace/GH75.  I will re-do it for v.2 and post a build log as I go.  The Teensy was the hardest part to figure out, but it is soldered up now, and looks like it will work as planned.

The process (after prepping the Teensy and placing switches into the plate) is:

1. Prep and solder diodes to switches.  Trim.
2. Solder solid-core wire for rows - no insulation.
3. Prep and solder solid-core wire for columns, insulate when crossing row wires.
4. Terminate stranded hook-up wire for connections to Teensy.
5. Cut and solder wires to columns.
6. Cut and solder wires to rows.
7. Check and double-check pin-outs to Teensy.
8. Insert terminations INTO PROPER LOCATIONS in housings.
9. Connect populated housings to Teensy.
10. Install firmware, debug, correct mistakes, make new mistakes, curse, correct those, walk away, return, discover it now works for some unknown reason.

Or something like that.

Anyhow, I'll post a build log.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 03:10:00 »
I know that you have the plate but how does the keyboard feels without PCB? wondering if there's any difference. maybe a pre-holed pcb might help.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:37:17 »
Version 2 of the GH75 (eRace/xRace) plate is in.  Beast lasered it and then I had a local sheet metal shop bend the front and rear edges to form flanges.  It has a 10mm flange on the front and a 20mm flange on the rear, so it is free-standing.  It is also stainless, so it is very stiff, especially with the bends.

I'll post more details and a build log, but here are a couple of initial snaps.  You can see how it sits on the desk and where the Teensy will sit.  It will be fully hard-wired as before.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:48:41 »
Version 2 of the GH75 (eRace/xRace) plate is in.  Beast lasered it and then I had a local sheet metal shop bend the front and rear edges to form flanges.  It has a 10mm flange on the front and a 20mm flange on the rear, so it is free-standing.  It is also stainless, so it is very stiff, especially with the bends.

I'll post more details and a build log, but here are a couple of initial snaps.  You can see how it sits on the desk and where the Teensy will sit.  It will be fully hard-wired as before.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Very nice. I like how this is coming along. PCB-less design rocks!

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:51:01 »
Looks great, glad you like the stainless ^____^
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 01:44:53 »
look at that beast! It's the Ducati Monster of the keyboards :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 08:59:52 »
look at that beast! It's the Ducati Monster of the keyboards :)

Now I need RED keycaps!

- Ron | samwisekoi