geekhack Community > Keyboards

Back after a 4 year break... What did I miss?

<< < (2/10) > >>

suicidal_orange:
Welcome back :)

--- Quote from: HungerMechanic on Sun, 09 January 2022, 13:19:32 ---Most of the old regulars are fading away
--- End quote ---
Sadly this bit is all too real.  Other than everything HungerMechanic wrote (I learned stuff reading it!) from my perspective I wrote this for another returner not long ago which says it all:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sun, 28 November 2021, 02:27:48 ---Sadly the community you once knew is all but dead, the site is now riddled with useless newbies who are only here to circle jerk insults and buy stuff.
--- End quote ---
Just stick to off topic and it's not so bad :thumb:

HungerMechanic:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sun, 09 January 2022, 14:01:20 ---Welcome back :)

--- Quote from: HungerMechanic on Sun, 09 January 2022, 13:19:32 ---Most of the old regulars are fading away
--- End quote ---
Sadly this bit is all too real.
--- End quote ---

Yes. If wanted to do a proper "opposites day," [opposite of truth] I should have said that no new people are entering the hobby.

The part about the old community on GH hardly existing anymore is in fact true, and was sticking in my head when I wrote about changes. The old guard in general, at GH and Deskthority, are a smaller proportion of keyboard modding than in the past, I guess you could say. For various reasons.

BucklingSpring:
Waow. That amazing.

@HungerMechanic that's awesome! Thank you so much for that hell of a nice recap man... I loved every pieces of it.

@pixelpusher, very nice complement! I wouldn't say I'm back. But I was certainly curious.

"Chryos has personally caused the prices of all your favourite non-MX antiques to go up 800% in price"
Maybe it's a good time to get rid of my useless board collection. I still have most of the ones in the signature.
Apparently the N64 cartridges are also going for ridiculous prices. I have probably 10 of the top 20 including the elusive Clay Fighter. All with well preserved boxes and manuals.

Crazy times.

I sold few toys for significantly more than what I originally paid for. The most unexpected was my low mileage 2011 Toyota Tundra that I was only using during the hunting season and to move around during snow storms. Paid 21K in 2015 and sold it for 27K late last year (we have a pickup shortage in my Area).

Thank you again for your replies.

BucklingSpring:

--- Quote from: HungerMechanic on Sun, 09 January 2022, 14:33:11 ---Yes. If wanted to do a proper "opposites day," [opposite of truth] I should have said that no new people are entering the hobby.

The part about the old community on GH hardly existing anymore is in fact true, and was sticking in my head when I wrote about changes. The old guard in general, at GH and Deskthority, are a smaller proportion of keyboard modding than in the past, I guess you could say. For various reasons.

--- End quote ---

Years are passing and we're not getting any younger. Making room for new generations.
It's good to see that the passion for custom and high end keyboards is still live and kickin.

ddot:
Welcome back!

I feel like I'm kind of in the same boat.  I never really left (would always pop in from time to time), but kind of tuned out on all the news.  Got the itch to spend money again, so I started paying a little more attention few months ago.  Wow, the amount of new stuff is almost overwhelming.

I still can't quite wrap my head around the number of new switches.  I guess it's nice that there's more choice, but I still feel a bit of nostalgia for when the answer to your favourite switch was a colour.

There are also a crazy number of vendors out there.  I guess it helps to legitimize things, but somehow sending money to long time members of the forum and hoping you'd get something in the mail 9 months later seemed to add something to the community.  And how are we supposed to bond if we don't have the opportunity to collectively get screwed over (cough, Ivan)?

It also really feels like there just aren't the quality threads around here that there use to be.  Spy is just peppered with a never ending list of ICs. 

And thanks HungerMechanic  for that summary.  I learned a few things on there too!

I'll ask one that I haven't figured out yet.  Why does adding an F13 to keycap sets seem to be a popular thing?  I finally figured out why there's 2 Bs (seems Alice style keyboards think we need 2 of them), but I haven't figured out the F13 yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version