Author Topic: A word of warning on lubricating your keyboard with silicon spray  (Read 53272 times)

Offline cheeseds

The propellant used in some brands of silicone spay contain Acetone, (CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray 30% - 40% by weight) and Methylene chloride (Jig-A-Loo 30-60%). As you may know Acetone is a solvent for polystyrene, polycarbonate, some types of polypropylene, and ABS, so basically all the plastics used to make keycaps switches and cases. Methylene chloride is used for CHEMICALLY WELDING ABS together.

here we have my well loved and used rubik's brand rubik's cube. I solve this puppy at least 3 times a day, when i first got it like all rubik's cubes it was stiff as a board and impossible to turn with any speed so i went out and got some CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray. about a week later one of the little cubes popped out and you can imagine my surprise when i saw THIS!

the acetone in the CRC spray did as advertise and had slightly dissolved my cube, it was also pitted and rough and has micro crack running through it

I haven't used CRC for lubricating anything plastic ever again and god forbid what would happen if i used Jig-A-Loo.

so in conclusion if you want your keys switches and cases to look like that go right ahead use a silicone spray lubricant, its a highly effective lubricant that has a long lubricating life. Im not sure if there are any silicone sprays out there that dont use those two chemicals as propellants, there must be some.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
A word of warning on lubricating your keyboard with silicon spray
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 14:13:16 »
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like it pays off to read the security datasheet, huh?

The one I have here (NIGRIN Hybrid Silikon Gleitspray, made right here in Germany) is stated to contain only propane/butane as a propellant. The advertising also states "smell-free" and "suitable for plastic".
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline RiGS

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 16:10:10 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;282942
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like it pays off to read the security datasheet, huh?

The one I have here (NIGRIN Hybrid Silikon Gleitspray, made right here in Germany) is stated to contain only propane/butane as a propellant. The advertising also states "smell-free" and "suitable for plastic".

Would you recommend this for lubing the switches?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 16:31:30 »
Quote from: RiGS;284099
Would you recommend this for lubing the switches?

The Cherry MYs I treated with it several months ago look just fine (I just opened the board to make sure, which also worked fine recently), so I guess I would. I guess there'll be other sprays which are equally good, just make sure the stuff is OK for plastics.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 16:34:01 »
Quote from: cheeseds;282551

here we have my well loved and used rubik's brand rubik's cube. I solve this puppy at least 3 times a day, when i first got it like all rubik's cubes it was stiff as a board and impossible to turn with any speed so i went out and got some CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray. about a week later one of the little cubes popped out and you can imagine my surprise when i saw THIS!

i always used vaseline on my cubes (not that i would recommend that for keyboards)... maybe i should look inside one and see what the damage is.
/// Current
Leopold 87 White MX | Filco 104 Brown | BlackWidow | WhiteWidow  |  TG3 Deck | 2x NIB  Dell AT101W | NIB  Dell QuietKey | IBM 3278 | Logitech NetPlay | Logitech G15 v2 | Saitek Eclipse v1 | Apple A1314 | Logitech K700
/// Past
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 86UB

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 17:22:48 »
Silicon spray is generally a bad thing to use for lubricating plastics, for the above mentioned reasons. Not all plastics are affected by acetone, but don't tempt fate unless you know the type of plastic you're going to be using it with.

I would stick with light silicone greases, Teflon pastes, lithium grease. Those are compatible with almost all plastics and synthetic rubbers. Petroleum jelly is okay... though it can cause trouble with some natural rubbers (and polycarbonate too, I think?). But if you're serious about lube, use serious lube.

And don't use WD-40 on plastics. It wasn't developed for that application, and can interact chemically with some plastics.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 17:30:58 by Daniel Beaver »

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline cheeseds

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 17:43:05 »
silicone paste will work just fine i think there are a couple lubricant threads deep in the bowls of this forum

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=All+About+Keys#Squeaky+Key+Time+to+Lube+UP

Quote from: YetAnotherDeveloper
I always used vaseline on my cubes (not that i would recommend that for keyboards)... maybe i should look inside one and see what the damage is.
im not sure about Vaseline but i know they use silicone paste for the cubes used in competitions and such
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 17:48:05 by cheeseds »

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 18:50:39 »
good info, but i have never had to lubricate my keys yet   :P
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 19:21:01 »
I posted similar findings in another thread about lubricating ALPS switches.  I used CRC Silicone, and it ate up a plastic cup I sprayed it into for brush application.  The acetone is vicious.

(For clarity's sake, the thread was about lubing ALPS, I did NOT, however, use the CRC on my ALPS because of it's plastic-eating properties, instead I used it on a Cherry ML)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 22:52:04 by Oqsy »
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 20:59:59 »
Hell, I'm a keyboard lover and even I wouldn't do that!

Offline RiGS

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 11:16:36 »
Well, lubing my black switches and adding stickers to it and swapping the springs with geekhack springs sounds to me as a good mod.
I would certainly feel myself korean.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 11:52:53 »
Isn't lithium grease just too thick to be using on sliders?

Offline RiGS

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 12:45:55 »
RO-59 is ptfe based lubricant, but unfortunately it is really hard to get one.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 20:09:26 »
I bought some NIGRIN Standard silicone spray for the squeaking stabilizers on my old G80-3000. I'm thinking about lubing the switches too, or would that be crazy?

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 21:16:59 »
sane people never make history.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 23:19:14 »
Quote from: Oqsy;288619
sane people never make history.

i agree, go nuts and be remembered forever!
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline RiGS

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 09:50:26 »
Just go for it then report back with your experiences. Accorrding to the Koreans and the Japanese RO-59 would be a better option here. They also apply stickers to prevent the switches from gathering dust.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 11:44:28 »
Silicone spray is not conductive, so you don't want to get any on the contact areas (thus I wouldn't apply it in bulk). MX switches already come with lubrication in critical spots from the factory, too.

If you do want to apply the stuff, I'd do so carefully using Q-Tips or things even finer after popping the switch open.

Silicone spray makes a lot more sense on MY mechanisms, I'd say.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 13:07:06 »
The keyboard sat in storage unused for 13 years, would that affect the factory lubricant? The keys are all going fine, it's just the stabilizers that squeak. My plan was to pop the switches and apply the stuff very thinly onto the metal leaves and the springs, not because they need it, but just cuz. It might be nice to get them even smoother than they are.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 13:08:50 »
The keyboard sat in storage unused for 13 years, would that affect the factory lubricant? The keys are all going fine, it's just the stabilizers that squeak. My plan was to pop the switches and apply the stuff very thinly onto the metal leaves and the springs, not because they need it, but just cuz. It might be nice to get them even smoother than they are.

I couldn't find any lithium grease, but teflon grease is also available. So that would be better?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 13:55:02 »
Quote from: godly_music;288871
The keyboard sat in storage unused for 13 years, would that affect the factory lubricant? The keys are all going fine, it's just the stabilizers that squeak.

Have you looked at the metal pieces? I have seen these in all conditions from shiny to oxidized and all black.
I couldn't find any lithium grease, but teflon grease is also available. So that would be better?

Some of the best lubricants you can get. Nice for CD player pickup rails and such.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 01:04:25 »
I suggest not messing with silicone spray on switches. Had pretty bad success here. There is a type of oil that some of the Asian modders use. Not RO59, but some other stuff in a spray can. I'll look it up again later if anyone is interested.

In general I can tell you that the task of greasing switches, one by one is a terribly boring task. Much, much work.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 01:19:34 »
Yeah I'm sticking with the silicone for just the stabilizers and the PTFE for anything else.

The plan for the switches was to pull the V-shaped springs out, line them up on a sheet of paper with the friction surface up and then spraying them all at once. Same with the spiral springs. Maybe swab the electric contact at the bottom of each switch with a q-tip dipped in alcohol.

Although it's gonna take a while to disassemble and later assemble all the switches.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 06:45:39 »
Quote from: sixty;289176
I suggest not messing with silicone spray on switches. Had pretty bad success here. There is a type of oil that some of the Asian modders use. Not RO59, but some other stuff in a spray can. I'll look it up again later if anyone is interested.

In general I can tell you that the task of greasing switches, one by one is a terribly boring task. Much, much work.

Thank you in advance for your timely response in this matter.

Offline typo

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 23:53:46 »
why not use silicone grease? better than lithium grease and should be harmless. of course it is not as easy to apply as a spray can but it does not go all over the place either.

it's lubricant properties are very good. it is safe on the most delicate plastic. i use it to lube fountain pen internals. you can get it at home depot in plumbing.

Offline v193r

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 00:18:47 »
without reading thread.

lubing your keyboard? wat kind of kinky stuff are you planning to do with it? do you like the high pitch scream/squeak of a model f spacebar or do you like it rough like a model or you want it nice and soft with a cherry my.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 00:26:18 »
Quote from: v193r

lubing your keyboard? wat kind of kinky stuff are you planning to do with it? do you like the high pitch scream/squeak of a model f spacebar or do you like it rough like a model or you want it nice and soft with a cherry my.

This is why some GeekHackers worry me. Hell, I'm a keyboard lover and even I'M not THAT kinky!

Offline sixty

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 00:37:59 »
First guy to post a real x-ray of a keyboard up his butt will receive a free Filco Majestouch with MX Blues.

Edit: HHKB entries not accepted. Full 101~105  keys only!

Offline godly_music

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 00:58:23 »
You can't imagine how squeaky my spacebar was. I did not spray directly onto the keyboard, but into a cup. Then drenched a q-tip and applied it underneath the cross plugs and onto the hinges of all the stabilizers. They're fine now.

Opening a switch was harder than I remember. Don't have the right tools for it. So I chickened out and didn't do it. Would've liked to see how much smoother I could make them with a little Teflon. Probably would've reduced the pressure required by a few g.

Offline v193r

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 02:30:59 »
Quote from: sixty;290137
First guy to post a real x-ray of a keyboard up his butt will receive a free Filco Majestouch with MX Blues.

THIS.
I only have a HHKB.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 08:35:38 »
Quote from: godly_music;290143
You can't imagine how squeaky my spacebar was. I did not spray directly onto the keyboard, but into a cup. Then drenched a q-tip and applied it underneath the cross plugs and onto the hinges of all the stabilizers. They're fine now.

Good to hear.
Quote from: godly_music;290143
Opening a switch was harder than I remember. Don't have the right tools for it. So I chickened out and didn't do it.

You did see the recent discussion on opening techniques, right? I got along pretty well with one single 2.0 mm precision screwdriver in the end. But whatever you do, leave the metal parts inside alone, espcially when blessed with the miserable eyesight of yours truly.
Quote from: sixty;290137

That's not gonna happen. (Besides, wouldn't an exclamation of "You can shove your mechanical keyboards up your @ss!" belong to an ignorant subject anyway?) The one case I read about involving a bottle (and, unsurprisingly, the prior consumption of alcohol) apparently was bad enough.

Personally, keyboards never occurred to me as being all that sexy. Maybe that's because all I have is the equivalent of elderly ladies. ;)

Offline sixty

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 12:40:44 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;290231

Personally, keyboards never occurred to me as being all that sexy. Maybe that's because all I have is the equivalent of elderly ladies. ;)

Elderly ladies can still look good in a nice bikini (don't dare to quote me on that, ever):

Offline sordna

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 21:41:47 »
Quote from: sixty;289176

Can you still find what that oil was?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
Re: A word of warning on lubricating your keyboard with silicon spray
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 16:37:51 »
Is lithium grease in a spray can viable? Couldn't find any lube where I live...
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 16:47:15 »
Holy.  Necro bump

Personally I wouldn't use it.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 17:00:32 »
Holy.  Necro bump

Personally I wouldn't use it.

Haha, indeed :p
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:18:05 »

Spray wouldn't necessarily go where you wanted it to.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:53:13 »

Spray wouldn't necessarily go where you wanted it to.

Figured, but if I spray it onto something first, and then put it on my stabs? Also, I'm not even sure if I need to lube. I had that squeaky sound once, but I just had to take my backspace back and on and it was fixed. The problem I'm having right now is that, when I tap my keys gently, I can hear a little metallic sound coming from the stabilizers... Not sure if lubing would even help?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 20:20:05 »
Here's a more suitable place for this discussion:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.0
(it's a sticky too).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -