Author Topic: Realforce 86 (space saver model)  (Read 41394 times)

Offline Korbin

Realforce 86 (space saver model)
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 00:20:29 »
Quote from: xsphat;8743
I thought I was the only one here who was gonna have one.

Did it come with few extra keys and a key puller? Did it come with a red Esc key?

I came with the extra control/cap lock key so you can put the control key where i belongs like on the HHKB :P. It has dip switches like the HHKB. And yeah it came with a key cap puller, but not the red escape key.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 00:42:23 »
Thanks, I been dying to know that. I am thinking I'll have mine by midweek.

Do you use Mac by any chance? I'm worried I won't be able to use the contextual menu key on the right side because that key didn't show up on my Filco. Can the function of that key be switched via the dip switches?

Offline Korbin

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 03:18:34 »
Quote from: xsphat;8745
Thanks, I been dying to know that. I am thinking I'll have mine by midweek.

Do you use Mac by any chance? I'm worried I won't be able to use the contextual menu key on the right side because that key didn't show up on my Filco. Can the function of that key be switched via the dip switches?

Nah. I don't have a mac, and it doesn't appear to be an option in the dip switches. Do macs not have a windows shift+F10 equivalent for the context menu?

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 05:32:24 »
Quote from: Korbin;8740
Mine came in yesterday.

All I can say is..... wow. I love these switches. This board is basically the HHKB Pro with a slightly less efficient layout (since it uses the normal key layout). The difference in the weighted keys are very suttle and you probably won't notice it over the HHKB Pro.

IMO the topre switches ( whether you get the realforce or the HHKB) are the best switches money can buy. No other switches sounds better, feels better or has a better response than topre switches.... again it is just my opinion. It's really a sad thing that you have to get them shipped to the states to get them.

A big thanks goes out to GeekHack for introducing them (topre switches) to me :P

Where did you bought yours?Also are the topre switches used in the HHKP2???
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 05:53:45 »
Has anyone tried buying from Gmarket Korea? I dont dare test the water by sending the payment first lol

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 06:04:28 »
Quote from: Skarekrow;8749
Has anyone tried buying from Gmarket Korea? I dont dare test the water by sending the payment first lol

I would but not right now.....but i dont even know how to buy it, that model (topre 86k)didnt appear at global site of gmarket.....
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 06:16:30 »
Quote from: Bluemercury;8751
I would but not right now.....but i dont even know how to buy it, that model (topre 86k)didnt appear at global site of gmarket.....

http://global.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=133366957&pos_shop_cd=RC&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T

This is the thing in english. I know what you mean, its strange that you can find this product when you search the korean site but not when you search the english site, but this thing can still produce a product page in english. BTW like Spitfire mentioned earlier, the untranslated bit with the drop down at the top of the page is the colour;top one with 2 characters means "black" and 3 character one at the bottom is "white"

Offline Korbin

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 09:49:34 »
Quote from: Bluemercury;8748
Where did you bought yours?Also are the topre switches used in the HHKP2???

Benippon, like Xsphat. And yes the topre switches are used in the HHKB Pro 2. In terms of the switches, if you have the HHKB you have the RealForce 86u. Basically you trade off a less efficient key layout for the variable weight keys.

Just like the HHKB, the construction is top notch and sounds damn near musical typing on in :P.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 11:09:24 »
Quote from: Korbin;8747
Do macs not have a windows shift+F10 equivalent for the context menu?

Not that I am aware of.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 11:54:12 »
Well this would cost me the same as the HHKP2.......i wonder if its worth more buying another HHKP2.....but i might buy this one.....
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 12:13:32 »
Quote from: Bluemercury;8761
Well this would cost me the same as the HHKP2.......i wonder if its worth more buying another HHKP2.....but i might buy this one.....

I bought one because I really love the Topre switches in the HHKB Pro but I want a layout like the Model M 84 key (sick of all the modifiers).

And I don't think I would call that layout inefficient. When was the last time you even had to look at the keys to find an arrow key - on a 101 / 104 layout or on the HHKB? After a while you just know where they are. I would say it has a more spread out layout or maybe a standard layout, but I wouldn't call it inefficient - sounds so negative, so Borg.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 14:46:27 »
Quote from: xsphat;8762
I bought one because I really love the Topre switches in the HHKB Pro but I want a layout like the Model M 84 key (sick of all the modifiers).

And I don't think I would call that layout inefficient. When was the last time you even had to look at the keys to find an arrow key - on a 101 / 104 layout or on the HHKB? After a while you just know where they are. I would say it has a more spread out layout or maybe a standard layout, but I wouldn't call it inefficient - sounds so negative, so Borg.

Ok. More spread out if that suits you better :P.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 15:22:36 »
While I like the lay out of the model M mini, it becomes obvious when I have to move my right hand to get to the arrow keys, page up/down, home and end....
After using the HHKB it is really nice to hit those keys without having to move my hand. Granted it requires more fingers to do it, but thats the price to pay to keep my hands on the home row....
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 15:34:55 »
I don't know if I am claustrophobic or something, but I like the fullsize layout.  I also work in retail (grocery), so having the 10-key keypad helps quite a bit (for calculations and typing in long numbers like UPCs).  I also used to be a bookeeper (for the same company) in college, so I got quite accustom to using the 10-key from that experience.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 15 September 2008, 17:06:54 »
Good points. Either way, what we think of as efficient/inefficient (or spread out) is really just as subjective as the preference of keyboards itself.

A standard board does slows down my productivity as a software developer due to how often the arrow keys are use, whereas I rarely use them when composing an email. Not all development editors auto-generate parenthesis for conditional statements or brackets so many developers get into the habit of typing the brackets first and using the arrow key to move back an type the "meat" of the block.

Obviously, doing this hundreds of times in a day can really slow down a developer over the course of the day if they have to take their hand off the home row regardless of they know where their arrow keys are without looking down.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 04:04:43 »
I like keyboards of all sizes, and this one with the red esc key looks really nice......im willing to buy it but i dont know when and how yet.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Spitfire

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 04:25:35 »
I like the standard layout better. (but without 10-key) That's why i got this keyboard to replace my HHKB2....  For me as a windows & VisualStudio user, HHKB is not the best.

ps. I got my realforce84 from Gmarket, but at korean version of page. I think you can get it through the english page, too....

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 04:54:33 »
Quote from: Spitfire;8783
I like the standard layout better. (but without 10-key) That's why i got this keyboard to replace my HHKB2....  For me as a windows & VisualStudio user, HHKB is not the best.

ps. I got my realforce84 from Gmarket, but at korean version of page. I think you can get it through the english page, too....

Did you bought the black version? Can you give me the link?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 05:47:31 »
Quote from: Spitfire;8783

did you buy it from a user called  "chips8812"? Im not sure if i should buy from him since this product is strangely not shown when you search for it on the english version of the site but it is on the korean one. BTW How did you order the thing in korean?

Bluemercury: Would this be the page you are looking for?

http://global.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=133366957&pos_shop_cd=RC&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T

Offline zillidot

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 06:07:39 »
Does the Korean Realforce 86 have Korean characters printed on the keys?
My keyboards:
Realforce 87U (all 55g)
HHKB Pro 2 (black on black)
Filco Majestouch (n-key rollover, brown cherries)
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black with black keys)

Offline Spitfire

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 06:23:14 »
Yes, I have the black version. (The only reason to buy korean version is because black color is only avaliable in korea.) I think I bought it from the same seller,(not sure, since I bought that a few months ago) but at korean version of website. The link Skarekrow gave is the same page in english website.

Skarekrow: I can read Korean, and I was in korea for a month by then.

zillidot: They have korean characters on the keys, but I got english keycaps as well. I think english keycaps are for limited edition only, so if you want them, you would have to buy something like this:
http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1215396631
(sorry couldn't find any english site which has this...)

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 10:05:43 »
I was hoping they would have the version with no key symbols at all......like the HHKP2.....
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 03:37:25 »
http://www.j-goods.net/

For those who are trying to get a white one with english keycaps from Japan, this is another buying service like Crescentshop. They charge pretty reasonably I think(but paypal only); 260 USD for the order commission and shipping from Japan to Singapore, in my case. By contrast the same thing from Benippon is 247 USD without shipping

For shipping to the states you can check their site shipping table or send an item request(youll send the request if youre buying anyway). If you want the black one like me  you gotta find some way to get it from Korea =(

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 03:45:25 »
What I want is a keyboard roof and a red Esc key for my 86. Does anyone know a Japanese site that sells them? BeNippon says they can't get them, but if I send this sort of company a link they can buy it for me.

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 03:50:42 »
Quote from: xsphat;8937
What I want is a keyboard roof and a red Esc key for my 86. Does anyone know a Japanese site that sells them? BeNippon says they can't get them, but if I send this sort of company a link they can buy it for me.

Yeah I think these guys can pick one up for you, you dont even have to provide a link but i suppose it would help them if you did.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 03:52:43 »
If I find a place that get them I'll let you guys know; I bet those red Esc keys would look pretty good on an HHKB Pro ;)

Offline Seraphim

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 04:30:41 »
Quote from: xsphat;8937

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/filco/10000311/

Keyboard Roof by Bird Electron (Product Code: RF-DV3). I got one myself when I ordered my Realforce86U through Crescent Trading.

It's specially made for the realforce so it fits perfectly :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 04:36:46 »
Thanks. One thing down, one to go.

What country are you in? And how do you like that Realforce 86U? I love mine, so happy with it ...

Offline Seraphim

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 05:14:35 »
Australia and it's amazing :)

I'm so glad I waited; I very nearly caved and ordered the realforce101 but pulled out when the tone in this thread sort of shifted a few weeks ago and it sounded like its release in Japan was imminent and then a few days later it was!

This is my first experience with the Topre switch and it's hard to describe what a joy it is to type on. VERY impressed with the build quality as well!

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 08:24:33 »
I find it interesting that you guys like the switches so much.  I love my HHKB Pro very much...but, to me, the key feel is not the primary selling point, it's the key layout.

Don't get me wrong...I do like the feel.  But if given the option of other switches with the same layout, I'd likely choose a Cherry switch or Buckling Springs.  With this layout, I'd choose a Filco mini or a Model M mini over the Realforce.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 10:19:30 »
I banish you.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 10:47:14 »
I would agree with iMav. Its the key layout and small form factor of the HHKB that keeps it on my desk. Behind that is the feel of the key switch. Ideally, I would have a HHKB with BS keys.
It would be nirvana for me, but not likely to ever happen.
I much prefer my BS keyboards when it comes to feel, I just wish they were not so big.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 20 September 2008, 13:04:35 »
Since the first time I typed on the HHKB Pro 2, I've loved the feel of the Topre capacitive switch. Back then, I didn't know what Topre was, BTW.

I like that it's not loud and there is no click but it is, as many people around here have said, very satisfying to type on. It all boils down to preference.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #183 on: Sun, 21 September 2008, 00:46:53 »
Quote from: Skarekrow;8936
http://www.j-goods.net/

For those who are trying to get a white one with english keycaps from Japan, this is another buying service like Crescentshop. They charge pretty reasonably I think(but paypal only); 260 USD for the order commission and shipping from Japan to Singapore, in my case. By contrast the same thing from Benippon is 247 USD without shipping

For shipping to the states you can check their site shipping table or send an item request(youll send the request if youre buying anyway). If you want the black one like me  you gotta find some way to get it from Korea =(

I wanted to order some accessories for my Topre 86 but BeNippon said they couldn't get them. I sent an inquiry to the site you linked to and they responded in a day. They said the red Esc key is not sold, it is a gift for buying a Topre keyboard (well then why the F don't I have one?!?!?!?!).

But they can get a keyboard roof and the real Topre key locks I wanted. So I jsut paid them for those wears. The price? It was about $25 above the price on the sites, so with international shipping that isn't too bad.

I jsut looked over the invoice and this comapny took a $13 commission on on this sale, the rest was a PayPal fee and shipping. They go through the entire list of costs really well — they send a PDF invoice with pictures of the items ordered — and their prices match the websites I gave them. What do you guys think; is that fair?

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 21 September 2008, 11:40:57 »
So there still isnt an easy way to buy the black version of this i assume?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Vinz

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 26 September 2008, 04:58:44 »
I took the plunge and ordered a black korean one through gmarket. Let's see how that works out...
Kinesis Ergo Elan
Topre Realforce 86 KB (Black Korean edition)

Offline vils

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 27 September 2008, 15:29:09 »
Quote from: Vinz;9098
I took the plunge and ordered a black korean one through gmarket. Let's see how that works out...

Let us know how it went.

/Vils
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 28 September 2008, 15:46:20 »
Quote from: Vinz;9098

Lets see how it goes then....:)
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 05 October 2008, 00:44:25 »
Has the Realforce arrived yet?=S

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 05 October 2008, 07:57:21 »
Yes, how that did go?Im considering buying another HHKP2 or this one. I really like the switches and specially the HHK layout....so i dont know yet.......i was hoping for a HHKP3 :P
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 07 October 2008, 09:04:04 »
Just registered in Gmarket. Trying to get an answer for this......
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 07 October 2008, 11:45:40 »
Just to be clear, there's no "true" English version of this available in black at the moment, right?

Offline Vinz

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 07 October 2008, 12:13:38 »
I'm still waiting for mine. It left Korea on a plane last friday according to the tracking info, so I'm hoping it will be delivered any day now. Ordering from Gmarket is pretty scary BTW, if you want to use a credit card you have to fax a copy of the front of your card, which I didn't want to do. So I ended up wiring the money from Paypal, but that's implemented as a transfer to a Gmarket account, after which Gmarket converts your dollars to Korean Won, after which the order is paid. So now I have some Won left in my Gmarket account... ;)
Kinesis Ergo Elan
Topre Realforce 86 KB (Black Korean edition)

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 07 October 2008, 14:06:19 »
You have someone in your account?  Who, exactly? ^_~.  Good luck with the delivery.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 07 October 2008, 15:45:15 »
Quote from: Vinz;9375
I'm still waiting for mine. It left Korea on a plane last friday according to the tracking info, so I'm hoping it will be delivered any day now. Ordering from Gmarket is pretty scary BTW, if you want to use a credit card you have to fax a copy of the front of your card, which I didn't want to do. So I ended up wiring the money from Paypal, but that's implemented as a transfer to a Gmarket account, after which Gmarket converts your dollars to Korean Won, after which the order is paid. So now I have some Won left in my Gmarket account... ;)

That sounds complicated. :S
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 07 October 2008, 15:58:32 »
Paypal is like that? You send money to an account. Sometimes the receiver requests the money but that seems to be the exception.

Some Won left = probably a few cent. If the conversion rate was adjusted between invoice and payment this is easily possible. It's a good sign they actually credited that.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 07 October 2008, 22:34:49 »
So does BeNippon. When I ordered my keyboard I was flat broke. I paid four days later and it dropped $10.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 08 October 2008, 16:34:06 »
Quote from: xsphat;9390
So does BeNippon. When I ordered my keyboard I was flat broke. I paid four days later and it dropped $10.

Im going to buy another hhkp2 and the price seems 30€ more expensive.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 08 October 2008, 16:36:05 »
Markets go both ways like Lindsey Lohan. And just like with her, you have to be lucky and know how to play them.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 08 October 2008, 16:47:22 »
You don't have to be lucky.  You just need alcohol and heroin.  Oh, you meant the markets.  In that case, my statement still applies.