Author Topic: Ducky Shine 5 has some problems !!!  (Read 9399 times)

Offline mk2965

Ducky Shine 5 has some problems !!!
« on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 19:58:10 »
I've bought Ducky Shine 5 for 1 week and this is what i have after 1 week...
- LEDs have problem with this mode ( video )
- Non-clicky keys (  T, 2, 5, 6, PrtSc )
- Stuck key ( R )

Offline FoxWolf1

Re: Ducky Shine 5 has some problems !!!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 20:31:07 »
RGB keyboards draw a lot of power, especially when using fancy light modes. The problem where the keyboard goes dead while using the lights may be due to this issue and not to any problem with the keyboard itself. Try plugging the keyboard into a different USB port where there will be fewer devices drawing from the same source.

That said, the problem with many switches not performing properly can only be a hardware issue, since the click mechanism is a physical thing. Cherry QC these days ain't what it used to be :(. You might be able to replace them, but RMAing the keyboard is probably a safer option.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 21:34:19 »
Just RMA it.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline mk2965

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 22:38:34 »
I just dont think that Ducky build quality is so bad...just 1 week and i have many problems on this keyboard -_-

Offline mk2965

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 22:43:40 »
RGB keyboards draw a lot of power, especially when using fancy light modes. The problem where the keyboard goes dead while using the lights may be due to this issue and not to any problem with the keyboard itself. Try plugging the keyboard into a different USB port where there will be fewer devices drawing from the same source.

That said, the problem with many switches not performing properly can only be a hardware issue, since the click mechanism is a physical thing. Cherry QC these days ain't what it used to be :(. You might be able to replace them, but RMAing the keyboard is probably a safer option.
I plugged it into a different USB port but it doesn't work...lol....Just 1 week and i have 5 keys without clicky...i think we should talk a bout a build quality of this product...or maybe this keyboard is a first RGB with Cherry Blue Switch of Ducky...

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 23:22:47 »
Led problem could be the lack of power, so what foxwolf1 said.. But about the clicky, have you tried to just press the non-clicky ones a lot? They are stuck probably and using, pressing hard and quick etc, them may get them working. Hope you get it working bro.

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 00:18:36 »
Try compressed air in the switches.

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 00:25:06 »
The ducky has two modes two pull power from USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 Make sure you use the correct mode. I also have problem with it. not these ones but one of my switches is is loose in its place.! I got two boards, 1 is perfect and the one I use is not so perfect. The QC wasnt that great I guess.

Anyways Good luck, RMA isnt an option for me, but if it is for you. You Should.
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 00:32:34 »
The only Ducky board I ever bought had superb quality and if a switch or light wasn't working out of the gate, I woulda Rma'd that sucker.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 02:20:30 »
The LED problem isn't a RMA'able issue.
That's a bug in basic ripple mode.  The first vertical line of the keypress adds the wrong color (blue to red, green to blue, etc).  it's a firmware bug.  I listed that already in the firmware thread where I posted 1.07 Ansi and ISO firmware.

Mentioned here
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/41bkrg/ducky_shine_4_v112_and_shine_5_iso_107_added_to/?

Bumped thread and added to here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78520.0

You can't RMA for that problem.   Submit a bug report to ducky as every single YOTG and shine 5 has that problem.

And I think you all missed that he intentionally shut off the LED's by pressing FN+F8.  I saw a FN F8 press extremely fast.
The stuck key is an RMA issue.
Non clicky keys usually take 1000-2000 presses to start working (I had a few of them on my Shine 4 fire 69 edition (no click at all) when it was brand new and they click perfectly after 3000+ presses), so usually takes 1-2 weeks for them to start clicking reliably.  But the stuck key is a problem.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 02:30:24 by falkentyne »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 02:37:53 »
I wish they made a blue that sounded like the non clicky keys...

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 02:46:51 »
The LED problem isn't a RMA'able issue.
That's a bug in basic ripple mode.  The first vertical line of the keypress adds the wrong color (blue to red, green to blue, etc).  it's a firmware bug.  I listed that already in the firmware thread where I posted 1.07 Ansi and ISO firmware.

Mentioned here
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/41bkrg/ducky_shine_4_v112_and_shine_5_iso_107_added_to/?

Bumped thread and added to here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78520.0

You can't RMA for that problem.   Submit a bug report to ducky as every single YOTG and shine 5 has that problem.

And I think you all missed that he intentionally shut off the LED's by pressing FN+F8.  I saw a FN F8 press extremely fast.
The stuck key is an RMA issue.
Non clicky keys usually take 1000-2000 presses to start working (I had a few of them on my Shine 4 fire 69 edition (no click at all) when it was brand new and they click perfectly after 3000+ presses), so usually takes 1-2 weeks for them to start clicking reliably.  But the stuck key is a problem.

Great Info here OP, Falkentyne has a lot of experiences with Ducky and he knows what he is saying.
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline mk2965

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 06:13:46 »
My friends are using this Shine 5 too but with different switch ( Red ) and they still have a same prolem with this led mode...
Thanks guys..i sold this Shine 5  and bought a new Keyboard Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA...
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:04:34 by mk2965 »

Offline garyd9

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 08:00:25 »
I also very recently received a Ducky Shine 5 (brown switches on mine) and comparing this keyboard to my QFR, WASD v1 and WASD v2 (all with brown switches), I really think that Ducky does some kind of lube on the cherry switches.  (The new shine switches came "out of the box" feeling smoother than any cherry brown switch I've ever had.) 

If this is the case, it might explain why some of your blue switches aren't clicking.  I've read (on geekhack, of course) of blue and green switches losing their "clickiness" when lubed...