Author Topic: [IC] MW Sogurt - US Vendor Live (1/3)  (Read 42743 times)

Offline dandruff

[IC] MW Sogurt - US Vendor Live (1/3)
« on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 22:11:38 »

MW Sogurt
My inspiration... something something... continuing ePBT Soju's series of turning drinks into keycaps...
something something... inspired by a sob story... somethingthing something... soda + yogurt...
I present to you... MW Sogurt!

Kits:

ALL-IN-ONE KIT

Few things I want to change, especially consistent line-width to make the novelties more uniform

Renders:

Rendered on Dalco

Rendered on SP111

Rendered on Phoenix

Rendered on Maja

Flavor Renders

Original

Peach

Strawberry

Lychee

Mango

Older not-updated-renders
More
Original Flavor

White Peach

Strawberry

Lychee

Mango

Color Matching:
I have been reassured by MilkyWay that I will have color samples VERY early even possibly prior to GB, therefore, I will be able to show pictures of the color samples.
I will not be releasing color codes due to my previous sets already being cloned.

Collaborations:
Tulipclay
Okeydokey
Klaykaps
Yu.Keys
Sandun
Namong
Melonkeys
Hibi.mx
HoneyBunz
Shannie

Deskmat:

Sogurt & Friends

ARTWORK DESIGNED BY: SHANNIE

Metal Hibi Cap:

Hibi x MW Sogurt

e-White (not same cream as the keycaps) with 3 different blue infills.

Group Buy Date:
January, 3 2022 - February 7, 2022

Vendors:
US: Space
CA: KanataKeys
EU: MyKeyboard
UK: Prototypist
OCE: DailyClack
CN: MilkyWayKeys
SEA: ILUMKB

Pricing:
$95

Signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114402.0][img width=251 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/QW117BA.png[/img][/url]

Thoughts on MilkyWay
I understand that there has been a huge influx of sets under this new manufacturer. They have reached out to me and provided a sample of their keycaps and here are my thoughts:
  • Reverse dye-sub is done well, surprisingly
  • Legending is sharp
  • CHALKY (definitely one of the more chalky PBT in terms of feel)
  • Service-wise: VERY QUICK and responsive
  • Not a fan of the legends they used for previous sets, a possible US vendor is already receiving new samples of updated legends
  • SLIGHT issue with one key of a prototype sample, but have been reassured it is already fixed
  • Possible vendor will receive samples as well as me to ensure the quality is up-to-part for a group buy
  • Possible vendor's new sample should improve thickness, line consistency, and better font
  • I WAS TOLD, THERE WILL ONLY BE 3-4 SETS RUNNING AT ONCE WITH A 3 MONTH LEAD TIME
For more information, here is their discord: https://discord.gg/ecxzfnue5P

Thoughts on Kitting
  • I believe a newer manufacturer should focus on less kits that appeal to the mass to get their names out there earlier
  • With the demand of 40s, orthos, and international language kitting not doing exceptional lately under GMK, running them under a new and baby manufacturer will not be considered
  • Makes it easier and simpler for the manufacturer to succeed

Reasons for Delay:
[Not a bad delay, don't worry!]
Main vendor and I want to receive samples in hand prior to GB date start to give reassurance to customers on the product/exact colors they will be receiving when they order

The samples are made, but due to shipment times, we have decided to push the GB date back a tad after the holidays to make sure we can get them in hand

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 January 2022, 00:44:58 by dandruff »

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• PBT keycap manufacturer
    • MilkywayKeys
Re: [IC] MW Sogurt
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 22:15:19 »
Looks amazing!!! Really look foward to this project <3

Offline SmilingCurse

• Twitch Channel
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 22:15:55 »
wait this set would be so cute on my ikki mizu
hype

Offline newcharmer

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 22:32:25 »
so there's hiragana legends on a keycap inspired by a korean drink because why now?

Offline dandruff

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 22:36:24 »
so there's hiragana legends on a keycap inspired by a korean drink because why now?

What? The set, itself, has nothing to do with Soju. It's continuing that series of drinks into keycap sets. It's definitely a Japanese drink. I'm saying it is a drink that compliments Soju.

Offline crystal

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 22:51:01 »
Such a cute set! My only question is it cherry profile or OEM profile, because your renders only have OEM keycaps.

Offline dandruff

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 23:20:37 »
Such a cute set! My only question is it cherry profile or OEM profile, because your renders only have OEM keycaps.

The set will be in Cherry profile. I'm using KRK for this set (like yours, I believe), and it's set for cherry profile.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 23:22:02 »
i think the name is weird but i like the colors
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 01:10:37 »
I absolutely hate sogurt, but I love these caps.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline andromache

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 07:36:51 »
Love how simple and appealing this is, and it looks like the novelty/accent colors are a lot a fun. Can't wait to see the final novelty designs!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 08:29:27 »
Base Kit
Show Image

Since you're going for ISO-UK support in base, the R4 <> key should be changed to \|, which is the correct legend for that layout.

If this manufacturer is flexible enough to allow for a larger base kit with extended compatibility, while still keeping the price reasonable, I would consider adding the following keys:
  • R2 1.75u Backspace, R3 1.25u Tab, R3 1.5u Enter — for basic 40s support in base.
  • two R4 1.5u Super, second R4 1u Alt — for Mac and OG HHKB bottom row support.
  • R4 2u Shift, R4 1u generic key (e.g. Code) — for covering various oddball 60% and larger layouts, e.g. GK64 (very popular in China).
  • (optional) R1 1u =, R4 1u 00 — for standalone numpad support.
That being said, you can probably drop the R1 1u Backspace since it's not useful for very many layouts, and there's already a R1 1u Delete key that can serve as a substitute. But if you're going to add those other keys, you can also keep this one if you want to.

In either case, you should add the other numpad 5 key that is currently missing (presumably, one set of homing keys are going to be barred, and the other scooped).
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 August 2021, 08:32:52 by konstantin »

Offline kight

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 21:30:35 »
Hmm, I tend to associate C with the more vibrant blue from their label rather than this softer blue. But it's definitely not bad (though I think the sublegends could have a bit more contrast), this is a good looking set :D GLWIC!

Offline ad4m

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 03:16:50 »
me likey. soju was really great so i love a follow up

Offline dandruff

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 21:49:46 »
Hmm, I tend to associate C with the more vibrant blue from their label rather than this softer blue. But it's definitely not bad (though I think the sublegends could have a bit more contrast), this is a good looking set :D GLWIC!

I agree with the contrast on the sublegends. I don't want it to be super contrasting, but I do want it more noticeable. I think this is a little due to the sublegends not being very thick, so it looks like it blends in/less noticeable with the alpha, so I'll mess with that a bit.

Base Kit
Show Image

Since you're going for ISO-UK support in base, the R4 <> key should be changed to \|, which is the correct legend for that layout.

If this manufacturer is flexible enough to allow for a larger base kit with extended compatibility, while still keeping the price reasonable, I would consider adding the following keys:
  • R2 1.75u Backspace, R3 1.25u Tab, R3 1.5u Enter — for basic 40s support in base.
  • two R4 1.5u Super, second R4 1u Alt — for Mac and OG HHKB bottom row support.
  • R4 2u Shift, R4 1u generic key (e.g. Code) — for covering various oddball 60% and larger layouts, e.g. GK64 (very popular in China).
  • (optional) R1 1u =, R4 1u 00 — for standalone numpad support.
That being said, you can probably drop the R1 1u Backspace since it's not useful for very many layouts, and there's already a R1 1u Delete key that can serve as a substitute. But if you're going to add those other keys, you can also keep this one if you want to.

In either case, you should add the other numpad 5 key that is currently missing (presumably, one set of homing keys are going to be barred, and the other scooped).

I'll fix the ISO-UK support wit the \| key when I re-render this weekend.

Likely not going to add basic 40s (MOST LIKELY out of the rest, it does depend on demand).
Likely not add Mac/OG HHKB.
Likely not add 2u Shift + 1u generic.
Will not add 1u 00.

I feel as though even if it's a few dollars more, the point of this set is to bring MilkyWay to the vast and "majority" of the hobby. The niche and less popular layouts will come later depending on the quality and consistency that MilkyWay hopefully brings. I want this to be relatively simple, and I'd rather force the accents/novelties into the base and do an all-in-one rather than cater to niche compatibility.

Thank you though for all of the feedback though, genuinely!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 22:29:00 »
dude, i LOVE yakult!

Offline kinyth

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 19:21:26 »
Ne color codes avail?

Offline dandruff

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 22:28:55 »

Offline flovvergirl

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 16:55:28 »
I love this set so much! Looking forward to it.

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - Novelties, GB Date, New kit, US vendor, etc. (10/11)
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 03:12:48 »
Update (10/11):

-Added novelties (few things I want to fix especially line-width/thickness to be more uniform and most likely thicker, possibly change some slightly)
-Changed to all-in-one-kit and added a few extra keys
-Colormatch update from Milkyway
-Added US vendor
-Added Hibi as a collaboration
-Added renders with a better contrasting blue sublegend (the old renders have not been updated but will be soon)
-Added ESTIMATED GB date

Upcoming WEEK (hold me against it this time if I'm late...)
-More renders with novelties and updated contrasting sublegend
-Fix up some of the novelties
-Reach out to vendors/collaborations

Upcoming (however long)
-Price
-Colormatch samples
-Possibly something I may have overlooked (from IC forms)
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 October 2021, 03:21:24 by dandruff »

Offline baka jiken

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 03:25:25 »
HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW. Those Novelties!  :cool:

Offline airaena

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 11:17:47 »
Will there be a Latin only set of keys? 

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 11:30:23 »
Are the sublegends supposed to match a Microsoft standard or is it just Latin with Hiragana added on top?

Offline minicap

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 14:09:36 »
the novelties are so cute! love all of the colours as well, so soft and happy

I feel as though even if it's a few dollars more, the point of this set is to bring MilkyWay to the vast and "majority" of the hobby. The niche and less popular layouts will come later depending on the quality and consistency that MilkyWay hopefully brings. I want this to be relatively simple, and I'd rather force the accents/novelties into the base and do an all-in-one rather than cater to niche compatibility.

i understand the reasoning behind reducing number of kits / keeping it simple with an all in one base kit due to MW being a newer manufacturer, but all other MW sets i've looked at have had multiple kits (e.g. Satellite, Demon Girl, 02/015, Fright Night, Heresy, Classified), so it seems like MW is already accepting that kind of kitting? i also understand that your choice here can benefit the majority of consumers, however i'm one of those who does use less popular layouts :( so will hope for a R2 with more flexible kitting in the future!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 October 2021, 14:17:20 by minicap »

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 17:52:04 »
Really excited to see the pricing of the all in one kit, although it does seem like a missed opportunity to use milkyways moq system to your advantage. Would like to see 40s kits, International and bars and such, great work though set looks great! :thumb:

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - GB Date/Samples/Vendors (11/15)
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 02:51:21 »
Update:

Vendors:
NA - SpaceHoldings
EU - MyKeyboard
UK - Proto.typist
SEA - ILUMKB
OCE - DailyClack
CAN - KanataKeys
CN - MilkyWayKeys

Collaborations:
Shannie will be working on deskmats again!
Hibi.mx collab is in the works
All other artisan collabs will be announced at the same time

GB Date:
December 17, 2021

Price:
Currently being quoted

Novelty Slight Adjustment regarding line thickness:

SAMPLES ARE CURRENTLY BEING MADE, DIFFERENT THAN PREVIOUS SETS. MILKYWAY WILL LIKELY HAVE SAMPLES DONE PRIOR TO GB DATE!
  :thumb:

Expected Timeline:
More renders for vendors and public eye soon
Finalized set of collaborations soon
Finalize color matching/samples

Changed novelties to have a more uniform line thickness
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 November 2021, 03:26:03 by dandruff »

Offline dandruff

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 03:00:16 »
Will there be a Latin only set of keys? 

Likely not, I was considering this, but usually sets that have decent Latin kit sales tend to have sublegends and legends be the same color. Rarely, has a set that has sublegends be a different color have a latin kit that does well. Off the top of my head, hiragana did about 3 or 4x better than its latin counterpart for GMK Hazakura

the novelties are so cute! love all of the colours as well, so soft and happy

i understand the reasoning behind reducing number of kits / keeping it simple with an all in one base kit due to MW being a newer manufacturer, but all other MW sets i've looked at have had multiple kits (e.g. Satellite, Demon Girl, 02/015, Fright Night, Heresy, Classified), so it seems like MW is already accepting that kind of kitting? i also understand that your choice here can benefit the majority of consumers, however i'm one of those who does use less popular layouts :( so will hope for a R2 with more flexible kitting in the future!

Really excited to see the pricing of the all in one kit, although it does seem like a missed opportunity to use milkyways moq system to your advantage. Would like to see 40s kits, International and bars and such, great work though set looks great! :thumb:

Although I understand the demand for all of the small kits, as of recent GBs, the market has slowed down a ton. Despite not even having MOQ issues with this new manufacturer, I do believe that newer manufactures making an all-in-one kit has a great appeal and is a good way to introduce them to the market rather than making 50 kits for them to sort; this way, it allows them to just mass produce this all-in-one kit without possibly having any kitting issues. I do trust them, but for now especially in their early phases, this is the route I want to take.

I am considering adding basic 40s though to the all-in-one kit upon receiving price quotes!
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 November 2021, 03:36:17 by dandruff »

Offline Saru

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 13:14:10 »
Cute novelties!

This base kit is HUGE! People will end up with a lot of extra keys that won't be used, but as long as the pricing of doesn't take a huge hit I'm all for it.

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 15:14:49 »
For mw moq system, this isnt the best type of kitting imo, but I love the colors and design

Offline dandruff

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 19:14:14 »
For mw moq system, this isnt the best type of kitting imo, but I love the colors and design

Cute novelties!

This base kit is HUGE! People will end up with a lot of extra keys that won't be used, but as long as the pricing of doesn't take a huge hit I'm all for it.

I will bend over backwards to get the pricing to be extremely reasonable (and hopefully cheap(?)) for the big base kit.

As for the MOQ/kitting, this is more reassurance for me to trust the new manufacturer. I am sure Milkyway will do well, but I feel as though having 1 kit will make things simpler for both manu (especially in their early days) and vendor (especially one that the community has not seen many of in-hand).

Especially with them already working on my samples prior to the GB window, I think this will be one of the smooth/quick GB runs(at least that I've worked on) from GB to fulfillment. So I do want to keep things as simple as possible... fingers crossed I don't jinx anything

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - Price, GB, and Kit Update (11/23)
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 09:24:09 »
SMALL BUT MAJOR BIG UPDATE:

All in one base kit: $95

GB Date official: December 17, 2021 - January 21, 2022

Base kit = Added basic 40s

Renders, Collabs, Color matched samples in progress

New Timeline:
Renders: End of week
Collab list: End of week (probably earlier)
Samples: BEFORE GB DATE  ;D

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - Collaborations and More Renders
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 07:10:40 »
Added the full list of collaborations

UPDATED BASE KIT TO HAVE CORRECT HIRAGANA LEGENDS and row/key labels

Added new renders

Offline andromache

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - Collaborations and More Renders (12/5)
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 12:33:14 »
Excited for the artisan collabs!!! And I can't wait to see Shannie's deskmats!

Offline whitewolf154

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - Collaborations and More Renders (12/5)
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 12:30:40 »
I want to see a deskmat!!!!!! Love this set

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - GB Date Pushed Back (12/13)
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 15:48:31 »

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - Deskmat (12/26)
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 10:15:41 »
Updated Deskmat!

Sogurt & Friends

Offline andromache

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - Deskmat (12/26)
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 10:20:16 »
I love the deskmat!!! Shannie did an amazing job (as always).

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - US Vendor Live (1/3)
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 00:48:18 »
US Vendor is LIVE!
https://spaceholdings.net/products/mw-sogurt?variant=42167909515522
Price:
All-In-One Base: $95
HIBI: $55

Will update again as other vendors go live (and awaiting GB post to be approved on GH)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 January 2022, 03:42:24 by dandruff »

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
Re: [IC] MW Sogurt - US Vendor Live (1/3)
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 21:45:50 »
Good luck with GB, Dandruff!