geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What Antivirus do you use?

<< < (2/19) > >>

fohat.digs:
I use Revo Uninstaller and uninstall Malwarebytes perhaps once a year when and if it gives me trouble. Then I do what I want and then clean reinstall the newest version.

1391401:
For all the new machines I buy I've basically made the switch over to ChromeOS (Pixelbook in 2018 and Galaxy Chromebook in 2020) and I don't really install antivirus (they advertise that it's not needed). 

I use Chrome Browser or some form of Chromium Browser on all machines and install the typical privacy / adblocking extensions day one.

I use pihole and whatever the anti-malware cloudflare dns is.

For windows (gaming) I just use windows defender.  I do little browsing and almost no downloading of non-games in windows.

For linux I think I played around with clamav a few times mostly just so I knew how it worked incase I encountered it in the wild.

A lot of what I do is to minimize ads / bloat on the net but I think that combined with smart browsing patterns (no I didn't win that ipad) probably keep me pretty safe.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: -Jerry- on Thu, 06 August 2020, 18:07:03 ---We ran Sophos across the estate at work, but found that Defender preformed equally well, for less money and at a lower performance penalty.

--- End quote ---

That's a false equivalency.
"I left my doors open and no one broke in so clearly I don't need to lock my doors." Just because it didn't happen at that time or you had no idea it happened doesn't mean it's just as good.

I've also mentioned this before...  All your eggs are in one basket.
If you crack Defender you crack Windows and since every Widows has Defender how large a target is it for hackers? Massive. This was an issue when Norton was on everything, if you broke Norton you had access to millions of systems, and it did happen, multiple times. It's only a matter of time before it happens again. And then there is the fact that it's Microsoft, who is know for shelving exploits unless it's a problem. Why? Because fixing them costs money.

Want more proof it's a screwed up system?
Why do you even need Defender? If MS knows of an exploit why not fix it instead of using Defender? Why do you need protection for a system they themselves make, does that make any sense at all? Defender wouldn't exist if MS did their job right so why are you trusting those same people to do this right?

Don't rely on Defender,
I'm not saying AVs are good, they pretty much all suck to be honest, but relying on Defender is basically just saying f'it.

Sorry, Jerry, I didn't mean to pick on you specifically, your post was just the one that prompted this.

noisyturtle:
Certainly having WinDef and a 3rd party antivirus is the best bet

You'd think by now there would be some incredible open source independently developed option

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Thu, 06 August 2020, 22:21:19 ---Certainly having WinDef and a 3rd party antivirus is the best bet

You'd think by now there would be some incredible open source independently developed option

--- End quote ---
Almost all AV definitions come from one company and without the money to get access to that data you won't be as effective.
This also happens to be why one tends to not be much better than any other, the variances depend on how fast they get out new definitions. It's also why they all want to sell you a suite of security instead of just an AV, it's the only way to set themselves apart.

I'm sure some wonder why if they all use the same samples and definitions why isn't Defender a good choice? It goes back to targeting and all your eggs in one basket. Every Win10 install has it so if you target Win10 you have to target Defender, once you defeat that the rest of Windows doesn't have a chance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version