Author Topic: "Show new replies to your posts."  (Read 4698 times)

Offline bear95

"Show new replies to your posts."
« on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 21:02:32 »
How do you disable this for threads I don't want to read anymore?
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 12:46:14 by bear95 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: "Show new replies to your posts."
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 01:28:19 »
The Notify button turns into an "unnotify" button.  Just click it and confirm that you do not want to receive notifications.

Or edit your profile, find your wan to Modify Profile -> Notifications.  There you can check each of your current notifications you don't want, and click the Unnotify button at the bottom of the page.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bear95

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:44:51 »
I tried doing that but I got emails instead. I think that button is to enable email notification.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 22:03:45 »
CLicking UNNOTIFY should cause you to stop receiving emails.  If you look at Modify Profile -> Notifications, then unnotify a thread you are watching, then refresh the Modigy Profile -> Notifications page, that thread should disappear from the list.

If not, try PMing one of the mods.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bear95

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 10:26:00 »
What I meant was, I know how the notification button works but I want to do something different. You know the list of threads in "show new replies to your posts"? I wanted to not have some threads show up in there again.... I vaguely remember an "unfollow" button. Maybe that was for another forum... maybe the feature doesn't exist here... but I'm just asking because I like it to be clean and empty :P darn ocd :P.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 10:43:18 »
The query that generates that list is a function of the threads you have replied to, not what you have subscribed to.
Russ

Offline Glissant

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 11:13:26 »
rknize, so is there a way to ignore those threads? I also have some threads that I no longer wish to read updates from, and they clutter my "New" page. It's not a big problem, and I am sure I could live with it. Just wondering if there is any way of blacklisting some threads.
Especially when some people necro the hell out of some threads xD.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 11:25:19 »
Yeah, I know what you mean.  I'll add it to the list of features that will require a DB schema change.
Russ

Offline bear95

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 14:51:01 »
Awesome :D

Offline rek55

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 14:53:59 »
This has been annoying me too! Glad to hear I'm not alone. :)

My future Das Ultimate S, all modded up. For now, it's a bit more black.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 15:27:04 »
There was a good few days I searched around for the option to remove some threads from my "new" list. Glad to hear the option will be implemented.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:54:46 »
just keep in mind that our todo-list is a hulking monstrosity at this point, and the highest priority right now are some end-user-invisible back-end changes, so you won't start seeing big changes to the UI etc. for a bit.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:24:15 »
i'd like this change too, just to jump in, but i can also say that it's not really a hassle to work around.

unless you habitually respond to threads so you can have an improperly inflated post count!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneoneone

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 20:01:26 »
I would also like to see this implemented... When I visit GH, I click on "New" but then I have to sort through a bunch of threads I'm not interested in, to find the threads that I want to follow. TIA

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:11:31 »
I like the idea of this feature ;) I wonder... could it be implemented as a toggle, so you could have threads that you haven't replied to appear in your 'new' posts list?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:16:45 »
You guys want to add more things? We have the Spy and Unread since last visit and All Unread Topics. I literally go through every unread topic, even if there are 6-32 (my most) pages of them.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:20:57 »
Damn sight more useful than 184 pixel avatars  :rolleyes:

More than 3 or 4 pages of 'unread' and I just can't be bothered to even scan it. This forum has got a lot busier and noisier than it was, and tools like this can really help to accomodate everyone.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:22:59 by Soarer »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:28:26 »
The "New" button on the toolbar is a shortcut to a list of topics to which you have previously posted that have received new posts since the last time you visited them.  I use this query the most by far, since I usually only have a few moments to check up on the board.  It's nice to keep up with conversations that I am currently engaged in.

One nuisance of this feature is if you post to a thread that you aren't interested in anymore.  If it is a very active thread, like "What did you get in the mail today?" or an active group buy that you didn't partake in, it would be nice if you could ignore them.  That is what I plan on adding.

I think Soarer is suggesting something like "Favorites".  SMF already implements this via Notifications.
Russ

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:43:29 »
The "New" button on the toolbar is a shortcut to a list of topics to which you have previously posted that have received new posts since the last time you visited them.  I use this query the most by far, since I usually only have a few moments to check up on the board.  It's nice to keep up with conversations that I am currently engaged in.

One nuisance of this feature is if you post to a thread that you aren't interested in anymore.  If it is a very active thread, like "What did you get in the mail today?" or an active group buy that you didn't partake in, it would be nice if you could ignore them.  That is what I plan on adding.

I think Soarer is suggesting something like "Favorites".  SMF already implements this via Notifications.

^This.

I log in sometimes to see pages of posts, and all I can think is; "why in the heck did I ever post in that thread?"

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:46:25 »
No no no! Not notifications, they're too intrusive to use on more than a couple of threads at a time.

I can't picture what the code or UI will look like for removing threads from "New" posts, but ultimately I presume it's effectively a flag per thread somewhere that you are proposing to allow us to turn off... all I'm suggesting is: why not let us toggle it instead? I know I'd use it, and maybe it doesn't add to the implementation effort significantly.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:50:28 »
A checkbox by each thread (like in notifications), and a remove button to remove the threads that have been checked.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster