Author Topic: It's GIVEAWAY Time #2 !!!!!!! "" WINNERS ANNOUNCED ""  (Read 23493 times)

Offline martinyeah

It's GIVEAWAY Time #2 !!!!!!! "" WINNERS ANNOUNCED ""
« on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:13:07 »
The WINNERS are :

#1  Sygaldry
#2  geogga
#3  Evo_Spec
#4  splitfile
#5  SlotH42
#6  do_Og@n

Thank you for all of your participation and support. :)

-- Giveaway 6 Hot Keys --

How to WIN : Tell me WHY you love the mechanical keyboard

Time : From Today up to 17 Nov 11:59 (EST)

I will pick up "6 winners" and will announce the Lucky guys on 18 Nov, each winner will get 1 keycap (I will random and sent out)

Good luck to all , i m waiting for your story :)

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 December 2014, 11:34:43 by martinyeah »

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Re: It's GIVEAWAY Time #2 !!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:17:37 »
I love the mechanical keyboard because it gives feedback that rubber domes can't. They also are completely customizable, you can make your own, the travel distance is like no other, and the endless possibility of keycaps. If you want it in any configuration, you can have it. The different form factors are amazing, allowing me to take my 60% to school, while allowing me to have it at home and I can carry it in my backpack safely. The community support is amazing and if you have a question, there is almost always an answer.

Offline SirPheles

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:21:13 »
Feels that suit you best? Check.  :thumb:
Varying sizes for all types of needs? Check.  :thumb:
Different colors for different tastes? Hell yeah check!  :thumb:
And so much more...
The modding possibilities are so vast, my mechanical keyboard is the thing I use the most while on the computer, so in a way, when I customize it and mod it to my tastes, it becomes my identity. I love my mech board cause I love myself  ;)

Offline fifthawk

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:22:19 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they make something that I do the most everyday even more enjoyable. I am pretty sure that this keyboard will be working for years, so it is super nice to have around.

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:27:31 »
I love them because there is a mechanical keyboard for everyone. And if there isn't, you can make one that is tailored to your every need. You don't get that kind of variety and customability (made up word) with rubber domes or any other type of non-mech. And the community surrounding such a hobby that deals with nothing more than a computer input device is surprisingly populated and helpful!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:28:20 »
First of all:

The construction and build quality of some boards is just phenomenal! Nothing gets to me like a finely engineered and delicately crafted piece of mechanical goodness:

Second, apart the durability:

MKs are like drugs. I can't use anything else anymore. Typing on anything else, I lose accuracy, speed, and most of all comfort  :eek:

But most of all:

Most of the people I've dealt with (traded or sold or bought from) have been incredibly nice. I wouldn't mind hanging out with these people!
null

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:29:34 »
I love typing on mech keyboards and customizing them. I figure if I have to work on my computer so many hours each day, I might as well type on something nice!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline kaotikb

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:33:34 »
I love mechanical keyboards. I can always use awesome key caps  :thumb:
Ducky 1087 (Green ALPS) |  CM QFR Stealth (MX Brown) | Unicomp Ultra Classic |Poker II (MX Brown)  | IBM 1391401 1991 | IBM 1391401 1989 | Ducky Shine 3 White Edition (MX Brown) | G80-3700(MX Black) | Corsair K70 (MX Brown) | Varmillo VA87MR (Gateron Red)

Pointing Devices:  Microsoft Trackball Optical (Ceramic bearings Installed)  | Sanwa MA-TB39BK (Larger Ceramic Bearings Installed) | Elecom M-XT2URBK | Kensington Slimblade | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Logitech Trackman Marble Plus

Offline btctopre

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:34:21 »
what I love most about my mechanical keyboard is...
that it's constructed so well that if an intruder were to enter my home, I could use it to bludgeon them into unconsciousness and still be able to use it to write a story after about how I stopped a burglar using only a keyboard.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:39:05 »
I am new to the mechanical keyboard community. but since finding and getting my self into it... I LOVE it. It is the perfect hobby for me. The fact that there is such a huge community behind it is awesome. So many people trying new things and helping each other mod their boards. I only wish I found out about it sooner. I am an IT guy by trade so I can justify the large amount of money i have dished out on my board already...."atleast i tell my self that"

Offline Knocking

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:41:00 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they feel (and sound) amazing. I'm not exaggerating when I say it has made me enjoy typing out essays and long forum posts, and has probably been the best thing I've ever bought for my PC.

Odds are I won't win because this is my first post thus far on GH, but it's worth a shot, right?

Offline AlphaOne

• *CLICK*
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:44:02 »
I'm new to mechanical keyboards but I absolutely love them. The advantages of mechanicals are clear; I love the feedback from my MX blues and I love my MX reds for gaming. Customising your keyboard to make it 'yours' is also pretty awesome. I have never considered myself a 'collector' or 'enthusiast' of anything until I was introduced to mechanical keyboards :D. I love being part of keyboard enthusiast communities. I would give your keycap a good home <3
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:45:38 by AlphaOne »
HHKB Pro 2 | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS Mx BLUE | Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mx RED

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:45:09 »
I love my mech because I can customize to suit my personality and needs

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:47:53 »
I love my topre over my mech  :p

In all seriousness, mechanical keyboards give you the ability to ultimately customize and create your own unique board, from the feel to the layout to the look.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:49:58 »
I've used membrane keyboards all my life and this year started using QFR with reds and Poker II with blues and they feel much more like "my keyboards" more than "family keyboards". The amount of customization and personalization is incredible. Isn't that why we all look at what others are doing with theirs? Kinda like custom computer cases ;) Just can't get enough different styles. Oh yeah and the feelz obv...abs for reds, and pbt for blues :thumb:

Offline graefeln

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:50:39 »
I'm not sure I can honestly say I "love" mechanical keyboards yet as I am still waiting on the parts to put together my first board. I can however, tell you why I am interested in them and willing to put the money into putting one together.
What drew me into mechanical keyboards was the ability to customize them. I saw all the keycap sets and was intrigued. Looking further into it, I was excited to see numerous cases and a multitude of switches; there is something for everyone with mechanical keyboards. For my first switch, I am going with greens because I liked the click and think I will like the heavier weight (though I am going with Sprit's 85g spring which he described as being closer to stock clears). My wife actually likes the click as well; I put a cap on a switch while waiting for the other pieces and, if she sees it laying around, she picks it up to click over and over. I think this board will be perfect for home, but am already looking forward to a second, quieter board (thinking ergo clears on either a JD45 or Planck).
I also enjoy seeing what the artisans do with caps and recently received a couple from KRytone which just awesome to look at.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:50:57 »
Because it feels too good ;D

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:54:11 »
I love them because of the amount of customization you can do to them! If i feel like throwing on a different set of keycaps, i can do that and it looks like a whole new keyboard :D That and, there's such a variety of switches, so no one can be left out.
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:54:21 »
it just allows me to get work done more efficient and quicker, as I am having fun while typing.
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline add1ct3dd

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:57:37 »
It's primarily the feel on the keys, particularly on a premium keyboard where it just feels "nice" to type on. You can't explain it, you can't put it into words, but as soon as you start typing, you know it's there. There's also the Customization aspect of it. Keycaps have brought on a whole new meaning to the word customization (with thanks due to switch types), which have meant all sorts of awesome products have come out thanks to group buys and companies starting up to help push this niche forwards - this has also led to innovation in developing new products which even further improve mechanical keyboards such as keyboards built from scratch and materials we never  thought would be possible to use.

Offline bubkusjones

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:58:35 »
It makes me feel like I'm actually interacting with something when using my computer. Cheap rubber domes, chicklet keyboards, and most laptop keyboards are just there, providing little more physical sensation than typing on a touch-screen device. Even if it's just typing in a post like this it feels more "real".

Plus, the clickyness of MX Blues and the thockyness of Topre are just hard to beat.

Now I just need to get a set or two of nice PBT key caps to replace the stock ABS ones I'm currently stuck with.

Offline poog

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:04:33 »
i love them because they allow me to hoard key cap sets i'll probably never put on but can justify by saying i might use them one day

Offline lishi

• Luxury Taste Buds
    • Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:05:14 »
I love mechs because they're less fatiguing than rubber domes. Maybe my fingers are just week though...
All the kustom 60s

Offline snipars

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:13:07 »
They're fun to collect and there's always more to learn about them. 
i like that mechanical keyboards from 20 years ago can still work perfectly and that there are so many switch types
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline formz

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:25:20 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of the sound, the feeling, the durability. It keeps me motivated to type. I also love that there is a whole community build around modifying and customizing mechanical keyboards. I've been using a mech for a while now but only recently discovered the community around it. Makes me love it even more.

Offline havenlau

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:30:21 »
i love mechanical keyboards because i can put martinyeah's sexy keycaps on them

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:33:17 »
It's a good feeling,
That keeps my fingers moving.
Each click and clack,
Makes me feel relaxed.
Cherry blue is my favorite,
The way it sound, I can savor it.
This is why I love my board,
So I can show the world, what I adore.

lol  :blank:

Offline mystalexx

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:44:49 »
Whenever I am feeling stressed out at 2am typing out a lab report, I sneak a peak at my bright red warmaster and just crack a grin, imagining myself as a superhero fighting against an evil villain. It also doesn't hurt that I enjoy the feeling on my poker 2 :)

Offline Jimmy54669

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:50:14 »
What I love about Mechanical keyboards....
....I can change keycaps
...the sound of it
..the low actuation point so you can react faster (Gaming) or typ faster
.that u can mod allmost everything
and its really reliable

Offline Corey

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:55:05 »
Hey martinyeah. Thanks for this opportunity.

The reason I love the mechanical keyboard is really because of the customization. The reason I first purchased my mech was because a friend recommended them to me. From here it took me many weeks of researching boards and the various pros and cons to find the perfect fit for me. I now have a Ducky Shine 3 TKL, because I enjoy the shortened size, and the lighting capabilities. From here I find myself at /r/MechanicalKeyboards on Reddit where I found many people like myself. The community really sucked me in. Spending time on that sub allowed me to see keyboards of varying sizes and colors, and upon discovering a market for keycaps and artisan caps I was drawn towards GeekHack. I first purchased a Vortex PBT key set in orange and white, and have been searching for artisan caps to compliment it.

TL;DR I love how everyone can find a mech to suit their needs and personality. Through artisan key caps you allow us to do just that, customize to our hearts content.

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:59:57 »
I just like getting home after a days programming and my hands don't hurt because I have been using a mechanical keyboard

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:00:37 »
When I type on my Model M I feel like a god. Nothing can stop me. The deafening sound of those mighty springs talks to me a in a way no other can. I become one with the keyboard.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:11:26 »
It's not so much the keyboards I love, which are great. Just read everyone elses' entry for that.
No, what I really love is the community. I joined GH at a very low point in my life, and just having people to talk to about something I love (mech keyboards) helped steer me away from the pit of depression I had been sinking into at the time. I had just moved across the country, had no friends or acquaintances. GH gave me an outlet for some semblance of social interaction in a period of utter isolation.

Whether you are talking about caps, boards, or clacks GH gave me a place to sort of open up. And doing so not only helped me meet a bunch of new online friends, but also helped me gain a wealth of knowledge about mechanical keyboards as well. And the more I learn about keyboards, the more I love them, which is a peak I would have never been able to reach without the knowledge and support of the people on GH.

On top of all that, my fingers now recoil in horror whenever I must type on a rubber dome. Once you've tasted a Ferrari you can never go back to eating a Camry... or something like that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:13:39 by noisyturtle »

Offline promptcurry

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:16:09 »
I love my mech because i can customize it just about any way I want. Don't like the switches too much? Swap out the entire switch or just the spring. Want LEDs? Add them, and while you're at it, throw a clear top on all the switches. Want different keycaps? There are hundreds of different sets or singles.

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:19:22 »
Well, it's definitely not because of the punishment it inflicts on my wallet....

Really, it's due to the fact that its such a cool way for people to reflect their preferences on something that can be extremely important and close to you (your computer). Some people prefer light switches like myself (45g and lower) and others prefer buckling springs, or heavier MX switches. I'm pretty new to the scene, but the fact that there's just something for everyone, and the customization ability that allows people to express it is just really cool.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:21:06 »
Awesome giveaway, martin! Thanks for doing this!

I love mechanical keyboards because I appreciate the way they can be customized to suit each user so precisely. With so many options for every aspect of the keyboard like size, switch type, keycaps, cases, etc it's hard to imagine that there's not something out there for everyone. For me, it's very rewarding to use a keyboard that you've spent hours researching and even more hours building and testing until you get everything just right.

Of course one of the biggest reasons to love mechanical keyboards is the community here at GeekHack. A lot of people may not understand our obsession and dedication to the hobby but chances are that those who do end up here in one way or another. There are so many people here who are so generous it almost defies belief. This is a community of people who get **** done even if it means some personal sacrifices for the greater good and that's very uncommon today.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:35:18 »
I got into mechanicals because I love to tinker.  Coming from an art background led me to really love the artisan caps.  Now that I am part of this community, I continue to be amazed by the kindness and the knowledge of those around me.

Thank you Martin for continuing to keep us so involved in such a wonderful hobby.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:40:10 »
You're going to find this hard to believe but, I love my mechanical keyboard because they tend to "attract" other mechanical keyboards on their own. Somehow, I don't know how, they just keep showing up on my doorstep after getting my first one voluntarily. Of course, this has led to a variety of problems on my end. I've near lost an entire room in the house to them and my mailman gives me the dirty board game hoarder stinkeye whenever we make eye contact. While I appreciate the diversity of them, my bank account has somehow managed to be hemorrhaging money through paypal. I've tried numerous times contacting them and my bank but all efforts have been fruitless to find the culprit.

Those are the least of my problems, today I went to make breakfast and keycaps poured out of the cereal box into my bowl of milk! Something is very wrong here.

Oh god, what have I just done? It's too late, they know!

Offline ROFLmonstar

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:45:37 »
I love mechs because of the practically infinite customization and stuff you can do to make it personal and unique. You can never find it in anything else like mice or even your computer. Here you can make everything your own and how you like it. And click it makes is cool, I guess.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:47:15 »
It clicks. I like the feedback and I started with a model M when I was a kid, so it brings me back some good memories.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline scooterpsu

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:47:51 »
It has been said many times, and will again, but it's all about the customization!

Before putting together my last computer, I had moved from rubber dome to rubber dome because I didn't know any better.

Bought my first mech, and haven't stopped customizing. LED covers, replacement caps, o-rings. I have exactly the keyboard I wanted, because the tools existed to make it happen. And I think that's amazing. You can't really get the fine level of personalization with any other gadgets, shy of a desktop computer itself.

Offline furryeskimo

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:50:44 »
The reason I like mechanical keyboards are the switches and infinite customization possibilities it has. Cherry MX switches (specifically blues) remind me of the fizzing and crackling of a nice cold can of coke (or beer :p) on a hot summer day when typing really fast. Plus, some keycaps look edible like mochi or hard candy! :D

Offline ShenaniganMike

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:51:14 »
I love mechanical keyboards for a plethora of reasons. Initially I saw them as purely functional. As a programmer I use keyboards all the time and I figured that I may as well have the best damn keyboard I can if it's going to be my main tool when I work. As I entered the world of mechanical keyboards I found that I loved so many other things about them as well. I love the size of smaller keyboards and the way you can program them to do whatever you want. I love the way that all the different switches feel; switching between them is always a joy. I love that I can make a keyboard totally my own and tune it to my liking. I love just finding any reasons to type so that I can use my keyboard all the time, and because of that I have picked up writing short stories as a hobby. When I use blank keycaps I feel like a ninja when I'm typing. When I use blues or buckling spring I love how satisfying the "chunk" of the keys feel and sound. I even appreciate rubber dome keyboards more as a result. More than anything, I love the community on both geekhack and /r/mechanicalkeyboards that constantly shows me new ways to love my keyboards. It's a hobby that I plan to carry with me for a long time. And when it comes down to it, when other people still don't understand why I love my mechanical keyboard so much, I always tell them: "Dude just look at how dope that keyboard is. How could I not love it?"   

Offline fabian101

• Cardbox
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:54:08 »
I love my mechanical keyboard because I am able to customize it to my liking and is nicer to type on compared to a rubber dome.
The keyboard is an important interface to interact with your computer!
[WTB] Nothing For Now

Ducky Legend + Invisible FC660C

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:01:44 »
Awesome opportunity man! Thanks for putting it on! My Favorite is Topre!

I love the Mechanical Keyboard because you can feel a snappy reaction of every key stroke. No matter what, Topre, Cherry MX, ALPS, Bucking Spring.. The Response feels awesome and there is no other like it!
I love to be able to swap Cases, Plates, Switches, Domes, LEDs, Keycap sets, Artisan Keycaps, USB Mini Cables, and display them all as well. Its such a great passionate Hobby!

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:11:18 by dustinhxc »

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:04:45 »
I love mechanical keyboards,
Because of their sound,
Because of their feel...
It is so tactile!

I love mechanical keyboards,
every single day,
when I type some code,
or when I want to play.

I love them old,
I love them new,
Let's mix things up!

From Cherry and Alps switches,
To the Topres and buckling springs,
My love will never cease.

(Damn, that's so indecent)
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:43:22 by ramnes »
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline evera

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:22:07 »
I love mechanical keyboards because it makes one of the things I do the most, typing, a more pleasurable experience, simple as that.

Can also make things look pretty and customize inputs through the great enthusiast communities here!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:26:35 »
Besides being reliable and providing nice feedback when typing, I love mechanicals because they can be taken apart, tweaked and customized in lots of ways and put back together.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:28:33 »
As a FPS player by heart you learn quick that you need to trust your hardware, not only the computer but also keyboard and mouse. Ive always liked light pressure keyboards so the old Logitech UltraX keyboard with laptop like caps was my favorite and Ive worn down quite a few.
Found mechanical keyboards when SteelSeries 6Gv2 came out and even if I loved the precision and feel of the switch, it was too heavy for me.

Found Mx Red and I was sold, havent looked back since. Given most of my keyboards away and now Ive only have three, gotten way more into caps lately.

The three things I love the most, compared to rubber dome:
  • 1. The precision you achieve when you find your switch
  • 2. How you can customize the keyboard to match what ever is around it
  • 3. The fact that they will outlast you

This was my last non mechanical keyboard, still think I have one in the basement
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:31:41 »
What I like about mechanical keyboards is their modularity ,
I can type on 40% mx red the morning ,
use a 60% mx clear the afternoon ,
end the day with a TKL mx blue .
And by the end of the week , I can find a 25yo IBM keyboard  that is still rockin in my grandfather barn .
And spend the sunday adding led to my custom korean while lubing my ergo-clears .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:31:53 »
I love mechanical keyboards because typing on any thing else lacks the satisfaction of the click and bumps with each key press, From typing on something with a beautiful layout like the HHKB to the memories of child hood that stir when pounding away on an old model m.  Besides as we all know anything else just feels wrong.
eh o well

Offline Data

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:35:47 »
Mainly: KEY CAPS

I also like how the modularity of mechanical switches has enabled new and exciting key layouts like the Ergodox and Planck.  It's a great time to be a mech fan.

Keep up the great work, Martin.

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:42:08 »
I love mechs because of the customization. I cherish my Granite set almost as much as the keyboard it lives on and nothing is more exciting than new artisan caps coming in the mail. Signature Plastic and Massdrop have quickly become my favorite companies.

I also love mechs because they've made me a better typist. Before them, I didn't use the home row as strictly as I should have and the notion of using a modifier with my right hand was unheard of unheard. Now, after seeing all the beautiful 60% everywhere and getting a Poker of my own, I'm slowly coming around to fluidly using right modifiers properly. And heavily considering swapping to another layout, preferably building my own matrix keyboard with the workman layout. They make my fingers hurt less and have made me type a bit faster. And they're my favorite hobby too!

Besides, how cool is this?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Thanks for doing this contest martin. Reading through all the posts in this thread, it doesn't look like you could make a bad decision  :). Leaving me with why we're all here, mechs have one of the best communities any hobby could ask for!
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline orbitsjupiter

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:43:59 »
I love the mechanical keyboard because I use it for hours and hours every day. It is probably most used piece of hardware. A mechanical keyboard can say a lot about you and you can customize it to be whatever you want (as long as you have the money). There is a mechanical keyboard for everyone (switch type, layout, keycaps, etc.) and I feel they are very underappreciated by many people.

Offline nogamesplayed

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:44:11 »
Initially I bought a mechanical keyboard to help with my RSI. It helped greatly. But I quickly fell in love with the feel of the keyboard-- I was no longer pressing a soft surface, but a mechanical switch, and I could feel it with every key-press. This retro mechanical feel somehow allows me to connect with every character I write, and I enjoy it every time. Then there is always the customization and, more importantly, the communities that come with it. Whether its on GH or other places like DT, the community working together and doing things like this is what makes me love mechanical keyboards.
--------->[WTB] Radeon HD 7950 or better<---------

Offline renne

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:48:36 »
I love mechanical keyboard because it can be fully customized. I like things that can be different from others.
Also, I use them a lot, typing, gaming, coding, etc. I love the feeling of click and clack.

Offline kebby

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:49:03 »
I love the sound, some people listen to office sounds when they work but I'll choose a Cherry MX blue soundtrack over that. I love being able to customize the tools of my trade: choosing the keycaps from some of the amazing designs that people in this community come up with, cases, novelty and artisan caps.  It's amazing to have something that looks like an 80s style keyboard if you wish. I love them for being good to my hands and letting me avoid bottoming out.

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:55:03 »
I saw this contest posted on Reddit and as a new mechanical keyboard used I decided to give it a shot!

I love the mechanical keyboard because every time I type on it I feel like royalty.  Like I'm worth a million bucks.  The ease of typing has opened up creative avenues I thought were long gone.  Now I can just sit on my PC for hours and just type stories simply because I actually enjoy typing them out.  It is so refreshing to hear the key clicks and see the letters pop up on the screen.  One feels such mastery over the keyboard.  The connection between keystrokes and letters appearing on my monitor is deeper, more natural.  My hands feel like they are massaging the smoothest skin.  I never knew what this was like, I always thought myself content on the rubber domes.  No longer!

Offline skrotnisse

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:56:39 »
The keycaps are red,
The switches are blue,
I love my mechanical keyboard,
It survives a ragequit, or two.

Offline zlee

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:58:46 »
Growing up, I never knew how good I had it. My father was (and still is an employee at IBM) My house was filled with buckling springs everywhere. With 4 PC's in my house growing up in the mid-80's my entire household was awash in the soothing sounds of the clicking of keys and the pinging of buckling springs. Eventually membrane keyboards became the norm, and with the loss of PS/2 inputs on computers my use of the buckling spring faded.

For years I went without typing on a mechanical keyboard. My mother dismissed our household Model M's as junk and threw them away. It wasn't until years later that I realized what a shame it is that they are gone. I now type on a board with MX blues, which brings back incredible feelings of nostalgia happily clacking away on the magnificent Model M. Cherry switches, dual LED's and the variety of keycaps has brought about a new joy to the typing experience, and with it an incredible and expensive hobby. My wallet hurts, but my fingers are happy as can be :)

Offline Permeability

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:08:48 »
They make my fingers feel tingly.
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline GankIndustries

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:18:53 »
Because I can actually enjoy the sound of something else besides music while coding. Also, reds feel like boobs.
Poker 2 Clears
V2 Reds
60% Alps loading

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:19:59 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they love me back.  I can see their LEDs winking at me from the other side of the room.  I sigh and try to look away, but my eyes keep sliding back to where the keyboard is sitting provocatively on the edge of my desk.  I try to resist, but eventually make some excuse to go over to my desk and sit in front of my keyboard.  I smile and idly tap the Caps Lock.  The LED winks back.  I tell my keyboard my closest secret - my login password - safe in the knowledge that my keyboard will never betray me.  Instead, as I tickle it's keycaps the switches respond with a smooth purr.  Pressing a single switch results in a single click, like a clock ticking away our time together.  Every now and again I will strip my keyboard down to its bare switches, carefully and gently brush the imperfections away, and then dress it in a new set of keycaps.  I have a different mechanical keyboard at home and at work, and they never complain about not being the only one.  They are responsive to my lightest touch.  Sometimes I buy them a little special surprise, like a CC, a Bro Cap or a Gas Mask, which my keyboard wears with pride.  I love my mechanical keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Arcanitte

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:23:08 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they are everything I could want. I love the feel. I love the customization.  I love the durability. I love the opportunity for a great weekend project. I love everything about them.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:33:22 »
To be entirely honest with you i fell in love with mechanical's because I think they represent a very primal interaction between man and technology.

I know its not really much of a difference but the extra travel and weight of my MX green board makes data input something that feels almost 'physical' like I'm building something or actually interacting with the data.
This is something that is totally absent in touchscreen and almost gone in the rubberdome/scissor switch keyboard.

for me mechanical keyboards also represent a sort of 'technological fetishism'. its like a star wars set piece or something from a cyberpunk novel. The mechanical keyboard feels like what technology 'should be'. its rough and basic in its own way. but its beautiful in its design and engineering. its rouged and manly but it can be used to write and create beautiful things.
Ultimately for me the mechanical keyboard represents the most complete "form" of what data input is. its like the samurai sword, its an object that embodies so totally what it does that it becomes a symbol for the activity it was designed to do.

and in the future i think mechanical feedback will come back in a major way as we get into virtual reality headsets and others types of spaces where tactile feedback will be able to better bring the user into the end experience.

Mechanical keyboards remind you that you are a PERSON using technology, they highlight the distinction and the dance of man and machine.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:36:32 »
That first push of the button will always blow your expectations away.
For me, It's the thrilling anticipation to try new things. With each new addition, the search brings you closer to your perfect board!

In that search, you will meet many friends. Friends that appreciate minute details; I love talking to others that are so finely tuned, and carefully detail-oriented.
In appreciating ergonomics, design and  touch of these small mechanism together, the experience is amplified.
There is a certain look and feel that each of us enjoy, and respecting different styles makes for a great community!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:54:04 by sorijealut »

Offline Telephasic

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:41:56 »
I <3 mechanical keyboards for the culture that surrounds them.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:43:10 »
double post sorry!!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:48:56 »
They keep my fingers from having a bad day.

And open up a world of stunning keycaps :)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:01:45 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of the way I feel after finishing a months long project :D  Typing on something I assembled, designed, and/or modded myself is very gratifying.  Plus, there are so many ways to customize a keyboard that I'm never out of ideas for more projects.  It's the perfect hobby!

Offline zuno1997

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:10:22 »
best part of having a mechanical keyboard? i spent all my life with an old 1999 rubberdome microsoft keyboard and every singlekey was loosen and felt awful to clic, or sometimes it didn't even work. bough my quickfire TK and i won't ever go back to using a rubberdome keyboard.

Offline kaesve

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:11:44 »
This is kind of a love letter to my brand new HHKB JP. As a programmer, I spend a ton of time behind a computer, most of which I am using a keyboard. It is my main tool in creating things and one I can not do without when doing everyday stuff. As such, I want to make it mine, I want to be able to tweak and modify it for my needs and make it feel like an extension of myself. Not only does this make me much more efficient, a solid and beautiful keyboard also makes working on a computer that much more fun. It is almost like driving a racing car.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:27:31 »
It something that I can fully customize and make my own that will get use everyday for the rest of my life. The different types of caps, switches, layouts, allows for multiple boards for multiple purposes, one for work, home, travel. The possibilities are endless. The feedback from a mechanical keyboard is something wonderful, both the auditory and tactile. I love my board and my collection of caps and boards will continue to grow so long as I can fund it. I can also show off wonderful artisan caps that I love and cherish

Offline phearboner

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:30:53 »
I love the variety of choices there are whether it is the looks from different types of key caps to the different sizes of caps to different layouts of keys and different types of switches. They each have a unique feel that we can pick for our own preferences! :D

Offline zoipas

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:44:02 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of the feeling and the sound. Rubber domes are just too dull  ;D

Offline sinerex

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:01:39 »
Mechanical keyboards are something which I enjoy at home for gaming with my cherry blue and at work with  my cherry brown. I enjoy the tactile responsiveness and its easily become something I recommend to my peers. Lastly comes the MODs, I enjoy showing off my cubicle/ workstation at home and enjoy customized keycaps, cases and other modifications.

Thanks for running this contest I follow you guys under my blog Instagram too! ~Kloud / ~Sin

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:05:22 »
I guess you could say I like having a cherry on top (or eh, beneath..)

Those caps are awesome. Thank you for doing this!

Offline anon90119

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:09:27 »
I love mechanical keyboards, because of quality build. When you buy one, you can almost be sure that the build quality on it will be perfect.
Also, I love artisan keycaps and would love one of your caps to be my first artisan cap

Offline jordansimone18

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:25:20 »
I love my mechanical keyboard because when my "gamer" friends show of their new "awesome" keyboard with color changing LED's, I whip out my Cooler Master Rapid-I and show them the MX Browns with the real tactile feel.

Offline JAquino

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:38:43 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they feel like sex in your fingers.

Offline litesung

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:46:56 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they are not only a functional improvement over rubber domes, but allow the owner to personalize and express themselves.  The community for our hobby is very welcoming, and have spawned the birth of many great artisan services.

Offline Angry_Onions

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 20:10:29 »
I love mechanical keyboards because I use a keyboard every day of my life and it is just so nice to type on. The sounds of typing are just the best, and it makes me want to not wear my headphones  just to hear the sound of typing. I like the ability to build or customize everything that I own, just so that I can get an understanding of how it works and what I can do to fix it. The customization possibilities of customization are really endless. You are only limited by what you can think of.The thing I really like the most is that if anything on my keyboard should ever break, I can just replace the parts instead of having to replace the entire thing. I like when things that I own can last generations, and the ability to swap out simple units of the whole is one of the best features. I also like them because of the switch durability. I've had many cheap rubber domes and specific keys would always wear out in a matter of a couple of months, and I could feel them getting mushier by the week. I've had this keyboard for the better part of 2 years and every single key still feels the exact same as when I bought the board. I also love the hobby that has come out of owning a mech. It is the durability, consistency, customizability , and comfort that I have grown to love and expect from all mechanical keyboards.

Offline 01111000

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 20:15:20 »
Mechs give great feedback (either tactile, audible or both), lasts longer than traditional keyboards due to superior construction while having better features (such as the second programmable layer of the Poker 2 and equivalents) and finally offers immense customization options that truly allow you to make a keyboard that feels and looks as you want it to.
Poker 2 w/ MX Clears | Ducky Shine 3 w/ MX Blues | CM Novatouch

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 20:57:34 »
I love mechanical keyboards because I love how each one of them reflects a person's personality. Everyone has a different customization on each of their keyboards and its fascinating when I get to see other people's setups. I remember upon first entering this hobby I was browsing the "Post your _____" threads in the Geek Hack Media subforum for ours. My KBPv60 has a couple gifts coming its way if only Massdrop would hurry up.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:11:22 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of feels and customization! Most importantly though the passion / obsession of everyone else in mechanical keyboards, who share the same love for everything functional and beautiful about them   ;D

Offline telnet

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:31:33 »
I love mechanical keyboards because you can't make your own rubber dome from scratch.

QFR Frosty Flake | 7bit Phantom

Offline jvarg

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:50:32 »
Honestly, I don't know where to start.  Typing this up on a Poker II with Cherry MX Blues, Hammer case, and Vortex PBT+POM keycaps for backlighting, I'd have to say it's not just about the comfort and advantage over most rubber domes, but about creating your own unique experience.  It's about passion and the community, regardless of how cheesy that sounds.  The fact that there are already 3 pages of posts clearly displays that mechanical keyboards transcend functionality.  Anyone that's registered on this board have found it in themselves to seek out others that enjoy the whole scene as much, or possibly even more, than they do themselves.  We get to share our passion for the scene amongst each other.  People might call us crazy for spending the money and time on the boards we have, but to us, they're the crazy ones.  I love mechanical keyboards, and I'm glad I can share the love with you.

Thank the artisan cap makers.  Thank the group buy leaders.  Thank board manufacturers.  Thank the switch builders.  Thank the community.  Thank you all for being able to support each other in something that we all happen to be passionate about.
HHKB | 87UB | 23UB | FC660C | FC500RR

Offline elton5354

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:54:02 »
I love the click clacks from MX Blues :D

Offline Tinchy

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:56:44 »
I love mechanical keyboards simply due to clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack.

Offline Trippyginger

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:16:10 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of many different reasons, there are many different switch types which you can choose from; if you need to be quite get blacks or reds or if you just love that iconic "click clack" get blues. There are many different feeling switches in which you can pick from just depending on which you prefer.

Offline kohi

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:32:22 »
I love mechanical keyboards mainly because of the endless possibilities for customization - and of course the different sounds and feels you get from each unique switch. it's nice how people can choose different switch types and keyboard sizes depending on their needs. plus it's awesome to see many communities share the same interests and passion towards keyboards from all around the world.

thanks for holding this giveaway :D

Offline ButtLauncher

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:35:38 »
Made an account for this, hope thats okay. I got into mechs because I was building a new pc, got a nice pair of headphones, i nice mouse and wanted my keyboard to also be nice. Did a bit of browsing before i first heard of mechs. Now, im interested in what makes a switch a good switch for a keyboard and i justify my keyboard collecting by learning about what makes a good keyboard switch. I have to test them all! Im also a mechanical engineer, so that helped as well. Also, ive always loved small form factors. Im a small guy myself, so maybe that has something to do with it, but i have a small desk with a mITX build on it with a poker II sitting by it. Sometimes, less is more.

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:40:41 »
I love mechanical keyboards because I love the sound (personally using blues) of it and the huge variety of keyboards there is. I never knew there was a TKL or a 60%, or even a 40% like the JD40.
I was using some generic HP keyboard that i didn't like and well, my first mechanical keyboard was the Ducky! There are tons of switches I've yet to try out (a good thing for my fingers but a bad thing for my wallet). The fact that you can build one, which I've yet to do, makes this hobby even more exciting and awesome.
My fingers love me!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:52:16 »
Gosh, is there anything i can say that hasn't already been said? let's give it a shot. 
I'll break down my reasons why i love mechanical keyboards.

Feeling
This is probably one of the most important reasons as to why we're all here and why the mechanical keyboard can easily win anyone over after one try. These mechanical switches just obliterate any rubberdomes in terms of how they feel under your hands, don't like how a certain switch feels? try another one! there's so many kinds of switches out there that i would argue that it's impossible to not find a match for someones needs.
The halfway actuation point of mechanical switches is a godsend for any typist or gamer, the fact that you don't HAVE to bottom out a key to register your keypress leaves less room for error that can save that extra keypress/correction in your long workday or lead to the victory of the game.

Customization
There's so much you can do with a mechanical keyboard that i have to break this down into categories!
Lighting
With individually lit keys you can choose to have each key on or off or even completely different colors!
Then we also have side LED's to give even more customization and a wicked ambiance.
Keysets
The selection for keysets is almost endless and continues to grow in variety each day and could even do with a broken down category. The color combinations and designs vary so much that anyone can find a keyset that they could just sit back and stare at all day.
On top of color and designs we also have different materials to choose from like ABS, PBT, POM, Zinc, and Aluminum to suit your every needs.
Keycaps
On top of keysets we have individual keycaps as well, whether that be fun novelty printed/dyed caps to amazing hand crafted artisan keycaps that also vary greatly in design and color.
O-rings and landing pads
You can also put O-rings or landing pads to both quiet down the key when you bottom them out and also shorten the keypress. They also come in different hardness levels to suit your preference.
Cases
Keyboard cases vary in design and shapes and materials to suit your wants/needs from high angle aluminum cases to low profile acrylic cases, you WILL find one you love.
Switches
Not only can you find different switches with different characteristics but you can mix and match different switches on a single keyboard to suit your needs. Play a lot of FPS games but like typing? some people swap their WASD/space bar switches to linear Cherry MX red switches while keeping their other keys with tactile Cherry MX blue. Some people even have completely different switches on each row or even each column, some Topre keyboards come with varying weights along the columns as well.
On top of the variety of switches you can also modify the switch itself by swapping in lighter/heavier springs to suit light/heavy heavy typers, you can lubricate them to give them a smoother feel and even put stickers between the top and bottom switch case to eliminate that tiny wobble.

Sound
I love the fact that every switch with different combinations of keycaps, o-rings, and lubrication make different sounds. It's almost strange how satisfying the sound that all the different switches make to add to the feeling of typing that makes it so easy to type for hours.

Longevity
Many people see the prices of mechanical keyboards and think they are outrageously overpriced compared to the regular rubberdome keyboards that cost $10-20 or even backlit gaming keyboards that are $50-80 but many people are not aware that most mechanical keyboards will probably last a a lifetime or longer.

Sorry for the insanely long article but there's honestly so much that i love about mechanical keyboards that i can't just be like "cause they're awesome" these things have to be said!

I also just want to thank martinyeah for this opportunity at winning this amazing piece of art, when i saw the Raven key i was literally freaking out about how beautiful it is that my wife came to check up why i was making so much noise.
Thank you for the opportunity martinyeah!!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:56:09 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:10:23 »
because i can let my geek out in a fun and constructive way.  i love tinkering, designing and building stuff.  mech keyboards are awesome because there are so many different variations of different things you can try or innovate on.  just a lot of fun...

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:19:53 »
I love mechanical keyboards because not only are they extremely great when programming, they also allow people to express individualism in this day and age when everything is mass produced. Everything ranging from Alps to topres, they are all wonderful innovations that shows the distinctiveness that we as people have.

Offline TheBean

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:23:46 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they provide tactile and auditory feedback which can't be delivered by rubber dome or scissor switch keyboards. I also love my MX keyboards because they let me fit them to my liking with different switch types and keycap sets/novelty keys. With mechanical keyboards there is room for DIY projects which I have never seen done before with rubber domes (eg: ErgoDox, Smart68, etc). They also last basically forever, and if they do eventually wear out or break, they can be fixed with a little time and effort. However, my wallet hasn't liked the prices too much  :p

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:42:44 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they're the gateway between myself and my future.

I wouldn't be where I am today without my keyboard. Every assignment, lab, paper, homework, or research topic I've ever written on, has been through a keyboard. It's the medium between myself, and a digital representation of my thoughts. For that reason, my keyboard is always very close to me. It's also why I don't mind spending a little bit of time to customize it. It's such an important tool of the digital age, and worth the time and effort to individualize it.

Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline flourrr

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:51:00 »
Well, aside from all the reasons that the previous comments have mentioned such as the feed back of the switch, the customization, the sounds; I would like to add that, I love explaining the advantages and the feeling of owning one mechanical keyboard (or 2, or more) to people who question my insanity of spending hundred of dollars on a keyboard. Many of them end up buying a keyboard for their own. That's what I love about it, the "magical way" of mechanical keyboard that connect people together, hahahahahahahaha.
0/28.

Offline c4103

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:56:22 »
My first mech was my k95 with MX reds.  I dove in headfirst and was immediately blown away by the difference in typing.  I shortly bought a Poker II with blues afterward and several keycap sets, DSA dolch for the Poker and Galaxy Class for my k95.  I actually use all of the macro keys on it while playing FFXIV and I am constantly looking for new vanity caps for them.  Aside from the obvious advantages of the mechanical keyboard itself, the community has done a lot for me and the way I type.  I am a software developer and for years I was typing in QWERTY on a rubber dome keyboard and had no idea how much it was hurting my hands.  I switched to Dvorak about 3 months ago and haven't looked back.  My wrist strain has basically disappeared and typing feels much more comfortable.  One day, after an intense coding session, I just looked down at the Dell rubber dome that I was using at the time at work and said "why."  People spend so much money on stupid stuff everyday.  Why not invest good money in something like a nice keyboard that you will use every day.

Offline Caskla

« Reply #100 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:39:36 »
Gotta get those finger reps in somehow. That's why I use my mech.

Offline bulletsrb34

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:50:53 »
I love mechanicals because the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Offline Snookerman

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:32:53 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they make me want to type when I don't need to type. They even make CAPTCHAS fun.

Offline feizor

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:04:56 »
I love mechanical keyboards because everything is customisable! I've already built 3 keyboards and would love to put a new Raven on them!

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:09:44 »
I love the feeling and the artistic side of Mechanical Keyboard :p :cool:

Offline Buckling

• Poker 2 Clears / Leopold 21Key Blues
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:23:48 »
Hey Martin. I have bought many of your caps before and I might as well try this giveaway.

Why do I love mechanical keyboards? Well it started off with I just want a good keyboard, so I bought a mech. Then I said wow how did I ever live with my old mushy rubber dome?! Then I found this forums and my addiction grew from there, when from a silly Razer 2013 to a Poker 2 with clears custom caps/cable/case the whole shabang. So now I just can't help myself when it comes to making my keyboard look sexy.

Offline Enigma

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 05:06:40 »
Thanks for doing the giveaway!

There are a couple of reasons for why I love mechanical keyboards. Their feeling and sound (Can't get enough of MX Blues.) are obvious factors. What I really love is the community and how open and accessible everything is.
I live in South Africa and mechanical keyboards here are pretty expensive compared to other parts of the world. I made my first mech by salvaging parts from an ancient board I found at a Charity Shop, and I've just made my second one with switches I brought over from the States and a nice aluminium backplate I had cut. Neither of these boards would have been possible and I would probably still be using a rubber dome if it weren't thanks to the phenomenal mech community. Hasu was completely willing to help troubleshoot any problems with his firmware and I had lots of opinions from other members on other aspects of the designs.

I also love the fact people treat them as more than 'just keyboards'. The artisan cap scene is an art of it's own!

Offline Barry White

• Soup, soup, a tasty soup, soup!
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 07:07:54 »
I just can't stop typing!

Offline hj-s

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 07:22:12 »
I love mechanical keyboards (specially with brown cherry mx) because they feel like a boobs.  Who doesn't like boobs?

Offline AFKfapping

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 09:10:15 »
i love my leopold fc660m for many reasons, firstly its compact design is a good space saver on my desk and boy does it look beautiful. Another reason is the linear red switches, they provide a linear actuation time that i find helps me play better in FPS games and MOBAs(LoL).

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 09:20:03 »
I enjoy mechanical keyboards because they offer so much flexability and customisation. If you feel that switches are too tactile, you can switch them with a linear switch, if you feel like your switches are too noisy, you can swap them out for something more favorable. Also what I like is the way that you can swap keycaps over whenever you feel like it. If you are not happy with your set and have a normal mech keyboard, you can just simply hop online and buy some at a moments notice. There's so many options with cherry MX switch keyboards that you otherwise would not simply have with something like a rubber dome, because with dome keyboards, what you see is what you get.

Offline edman400

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 09:30:57 »
i love mechanical switches because the click makes my **** hard

:cool:

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 10:41:59 »
I love Mech keyboards because I am a programmer and it is my weapon of choice  :thumb:

Offline coreXeon

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 10:56:08 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of the vast amount if customizability they have. You can choose from many kinds of switches, keycaps, layouts, and form factors. Mechanical keyboards come in many different shapes and sizes. There is a mechanical keyboard for everyone.
Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja - Cherry MX Black | Blackwidow 2012 - Cherry MX Blue | Steelseries 6GV2 - Cherry MX Black | Ergodox - 62g Ergo-Clears (WIP)

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 11:10:44 »
Thanks for doing a cool giveaway Martin!  :thumb:

I love mechanical keyboards for the customization, the beauty, and the feel. From your basic fullsize board, to 60% boards, to unique layouts like 75% and 40% boards, to the various Cherry switches, to Topre, mechs have it all, and there's something for everyone. Beautiful custom keysets, artisan keycaps, and most of all, mechanical keyboards have great communities like GeekHack standing behind them, full of wonderfully helpful people! I've really enjoyed my short time with GH so far (though my wallet has suffered), and I plan on being a member of this excellent community for a long time.

Good luck everyone!  ;D

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:17:10 »
I picked up a Filco MJ TKL blues about 4 years ago after I started getting tingling pain in my fingertips. Reading Geekhack at that time, I learned that I was typing too hard, and a mechanical keyboard with proper tactile feedback could help teach me to type without bottoming out. Since then, I've played with blues, browns, and also Topre boards and I can't go back to normal rubberdomes. My typing improved to the point now where my normal alphanumeric keypresses do not bottom out and I type around 110-120 WPM. I do a lot of typing at work, and I play games such as Starcraft at home. Having found mechanical keyboards has helped make my life better.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:19:51 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they make each key press satisfying with the help of tactility of my preferred switch. Its also much smoother compared to regular dome keyboards.

Offline skazzleprop

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:33:30 »
Many say that they loved the keyboard, but aye, it was the keyboard that loved me.

Each press of a key yields a clicky "I love you". It continues on and on no matter how long the typing goes.

Just as cats purr, my keyboards clackity clack.

My fingers fly over them, typing effortlessly through jargon and terminology, never slowed down by the silicon membranes that used to plague them.

pemphigus.

erythyma multiforme.

Look how effortless that was. No, you can't look. It all happened too quickly for you to see anything.

Papers and patient notes are no longer written. They are simply materialized.

That is how I know the keyboard loves me.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
  • Java programming and fancy key caps!
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:41:45 »
Hello!

I love mechanical keyboards not only because of their functionality, but also because of the community surrounding them. On the functionality side, they are very customizable and pretty much have any configuration that could meet someone's needs mechanically and aesthetically. On the community side everyone is helpful, kind, and very generous. I have seen many giveaways, people helping each other out, giving discounts, etc. When I wanted to make a few key caps, a person sent me some extra caps they had lying around for free so that I could paint them. That is just pure kindness and generosity.

Elsea Keys - Artisan key caps, keyboards, custom painting - Click any image to purchase or view

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:48:17 »
I love my keyboard, because it is a little part of me I can use and show off originally I came to geekhack to get these Nyan cat keycaps, but after I stayed for the nice people, my keyboard always evolving with different keys different switches and keysets although I do love my white ones and nyan cat top row ^_^, I would say I just love it because I can make it very much a extension of my personality Lots and lots of random colours :) plus it feels a lot nice and firmer than the keyboard I used to use, and plus you get to be part of a awesome community, and I like it when people see it and go wow that looks pretty :)
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Beallio

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 14:07:55 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of the feels, and the fact that if one switch doesn't suit your fancy, you can always switch (no pun intended) to a different switch.

That, and let's be honest, the ability to customize our keyboards with different caps!

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:31:34 »
I'm pretty new to the mechanical keyboard scene, but Martin, your work is pretty damn amazing. I have always been a tinkerer, and mechanical keyboards are a new way for me to take that love of building something and put a new spin on it to have a keyboard uniquely my own. I just finished my first board, a CtrlALT Nerd60 in a Vortex case with ergo clears. I haven't worked out all the kinks, but its exciting to type on something I made myself.

Offline am3amzar

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:01:13 »
At first, i fall in love with MK due to sound that it creates while i was typing since my first Mk was blue switch.

then slowly, the feeling of keys being press makes me fall in love even harder.

Personally, i think MK is best because if it can be personalize according to what u want and what u need.

Nothing extra, just all what u wanted.

Offline splitfile

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:55:34 »
Ode to Filco
Filco, beautiful keyboard of Gods,
Son of Diatec,
We stroke your keys,
Heavenly, thy chassi.
Thy Cherry switches re-unite
What rubber dome's has divided
ABS become PBT
Where thy gentle keys abides.

Offline SlotH42

• one slow step for sloth
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 17:54:42 »
For me mechanical keyboards gave a sort of zen to them. The sound and the feel just get me relaxed. The fact that you can customize them also gives it a more personal feel. Sometimes I just find myself typing...nothing In particular, just to feel the keys hagayuejsksozmsbsvzgzjxkvlglglfkfjdbdbavaqqwwudndkxhdbdksoqhfhdu .
MP-GBL4 (red) Poker II (clears) Realforce R2TL 55g

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 18:24:56 »
I wonder if he's gonna read through all these, or pick at random  :eek:

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 18:53:33 »
feels good man
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Phan89

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:00:07 »
 I am a new user to the mechanical keyboard, but lucky enough to be friends with Lurch from the board, who introduced me to not only the mechanical keyboard, but the culture as well. He has shown me different boards and caps, and his passion for the keyboard helped me to understand. I think it awesome that you can modify, customize, and create something that we use everyday, and make it more personal. Its cool to see people appreciating the art and love for the keyboard, with give aways, and fair price sales, not taking advantage of other geeks.

My first board is a rosewill rk-9000re, and it needs it's first hot key.  :thumb:

Good luck every one.

Offline DreaMagine

• Head and shoulders, keys and toes
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:10:51 »
I bought my first mechanical about 3 years back, a full sized Filco Majestouch with MX browns. I made this purchase without ever being using a mechanical keyboard before, but I hoped for the best anyways. Loved it the second I started typing on it! After that I just couldn't stand using a mushy old rubber dome anymore, it just didn't live up to the feeling of a mechanical. I have since bought a Model M second-hand and a new KBC Poker 2. I've also got two different keycap sets just waiting to arrive! And yet I still plan on buying a tenkeyless soon as well. I've even gotten another close friend into mechanical keyboards in the process.
I still have people whom I work with who think I'm nuts for bringing in my own keyboard and even having more than one keyboard, but I know it's worth it for something I spend multiple hours every day using!

Offline Sissy

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 21:13:34 »
I just love the sound, so many people hate loud sounding keyboards but I love it

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 21:50:02 »
Durability, stamina, quality, and it is just plain fun to type on them.

Customization, personalization, modification, and it is always nice to be the only kid on the block with one.

Without mechanical keyboards, MechanicalKeyboards.com wouldn't exist. <--- Best reason ever!

:thumb:
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 23:09:27 »
- Keycaps
- Customization
- Awesome clicky noises
- Build quality
- Dem feels

Offline JarrodC87

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 23:09:45 »
I love mechs because they offer a unique typing experience and a ton of custom options.

Offline zetagun

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 23:37:05 »
the feeling when you type
and the skin when you mod
:D

Offline NoahNHP

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 23:41:40 »
i love mechanical keyboard because it's the new technologies keyboard that i can protect my finger and wasted my money in the good way =))
Dolphin V2 | LZ CLS | 356 mini

Offline quochung090

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:03:02 »
I still remember the feeling when i saw and typed on a mechkey the fist time, it was extremely exciting and hard to say by word. The surface of keycaps and the responding of switch make me can't get my hand off it. Honestly, it's really different , compared to others membrane normal keyboard which i used to use. That's the reason why i'm addicted to mechkey until now.

Offline SoSul

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:06:10 »
- I love mechanical keyboard because:
  + Cherry MX blue switches. I love the click-clack sound :D.
  + Durable.
  + The pleased feeling it gave.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:08:58 »
 ;D  Good luck allllllllll!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:15:39 »
;D  Good luck allllllllll!

+1 especially those without any Hot Keys (or Gas Masks)!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline natemz

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:24:24 »
I love mechanical keyboards for a few reasons. First because they feel amazing to type on. Second, because I they are durable. Third, they can be customized in so many ways. Take my poker II for example. I have a custom case, custom keys, and custom LEDs. That kind of stuff is possible on a rubber dome I guess, but no one would take the time to do it because they suck. Final reason I love them is that I like buying really  expensive things that confuse my coworkers. That is all.

Thanks for doing this!!!

Offline jaemzp

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:26:17 »
There's many reasons I like mechanical keyboards that many have already listed, but to me what I like most is the community and also the learning experience. Everyone is ridiculously helpful around here and the guides are great. Before coming here I thought of keyboards as nothing when compared to a gaming rig. But afterward I learnt all the complexities of a mechanical keyboard from the size types to different standard layouts, switch types, springs and stems, lubrication, and various mods that I never thought I would perform (also learnt how to solder for the sake of mechanical keyboards). Although I lurk a lot, I've learnt a lot. So besides all the customization and feeling of typing on mechanical keyboards, I'd have to say that community and the learning experience are what I like most about them.. There's always more or something new to try.

Thanks for doing this Martin, and good luck to everyone!

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 00:30:49 »
I love mechanical keyboards because it turns my average day at work into something that I can enjoy. Going from the everyday rubber dome keyboard to a mechanical keyboard has made me excited to work in IT. I have found that now I like to type more descriptive notes and longer emails.

I love mechanical keyboards because there are so many different ones out there and so many things out there for them. So many switch types, keyboard brands, keycap plastics, keycap artisans, and mods!!! This is the tool that most of us use everyday and we all make them something we enjoy using.

Thank you to all the tinkerers, keycap artisans, keyboards modders, and pcb designers! Without you all we would be typing on a cheap dell keyboard.

Offline Ciu

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 01:25:01 »
- The feeling of switch's bouncing
- The lovely sound when the keycap hit to the bottom of switch :x
- I can type as much as I can with NKRO
- Led, switch, keycap and also case can be customized
- Hard to die  :))
All those reasons made me choose to use mechanical keyboard ^.^
And would love to have one of this keycap to join my mechkey  :-*

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=4lone7vbanoatj7cc90ib9jmftsg5hmp&topic=63161.0
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 01:43:53 »
I have used mechanical keyboard six year ago. First of all, I know it has many different switches. People can choose the best couch feel for their typing or playing game.
I remember my first keyboard named "mechanical storm" . It was cost around $80. It is not expensive price. But it is really expensive for a high school student. I still bought it. Because it can improve my level of playing game. I bring my keyboard in my bag everyday. Sometimes it really help me win official game. It is not only like a tool. It more likely a friend for me.
I have already got a lot of great keyboards. But I still remember the original memory of keyboard. I hope I can be a great collector.
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline Burgman_S

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 02:21:06 »
Love is no reason :D

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 03:22:38 »
Why I love mechanical keyboards ? What's not to love about them. It's a great hobby, since I joined this community I met a lot of interesting people from all corners of the world, something I normally would not have had the chance to do. Also I learned how to build my own keyboard, something that I use every day, something that became personal and unique. It's harder to find a reason not to love them  :thumb:
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline christophertsao

• Lurker
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 04:07:41 »
I love Mechanical Keyboards because they be customized however I choose. My board is not the same as anyone else I know or anyone in my office.

Custom Look, Custom Feel, Custom Sound.
(null)

Offline TTDlatoi

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 05:56:28 »
" Tell me WHY you love the mechanical keyboard". Because I love it, that's it. I have been known the mechanical keyboard for 6 months ago, but I really feel comfortable when I use it (gaming, typying). When I touch my keyboard, I can't look for a reason to leave it. Thanks.

Offline lolzee9x

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 08:38:05 »
"It's...it's not like I like your hands all over me or anything... Idiot!
B..But keep pressing me there if you like it...
Keep...Keep pressing me there...! I can take it... 50 million more times..!"
-Tsukkitan

The first reason why I bought a mech is that my laptop keyboard is falling apart, literally. The second reason is that I got hooked on OSU, a pc game that requires a LOT of keyboard tapping (like pressing 2 keys 20 times total in ~3 seconds). So I decided to pick myself a keyboard like my game idol: Cookiezi (<-god of osu) and also a lot of other pro players who play this game use (CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK- Red switch).

Now I am attach to this keyboard. I love how it feels and don't like to type with anything else under my fingers (unless it's another mech, which would be acceptable). Sometimes I go to school and clean my keycaps when other kids take tests. I bring my keyboard with me even when I don't have my laptop (to internet cafes). I have even brought my keyboard to tests such as SAT or TOEFL as a token of good luck. I think my keyboard is probably the best thing I own.

My keyboard's name is Tsukki-tan and she is a tsundere. I hope to draw a personified version of her when I have the skills :3

Offline Harbec

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 09:11:35 »
For me it's the customization and the feel of mech switches. Something about the click clack sound is just good for my soul  :D. Oh and Dolch keycaps are possibly the sexiest non-living thing.

Offline rsheldiii

« Reply #150 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 10:58:53 »
I like mechanical keyboards because it's a great medium for getting gradually better at the electrical side of geeky hobbies. I'm horrible with circuits and was forced to do 4 semesters of them in college and I was convinced I would never touch an arduino at all. It started small, I spilled beer all over my first store-bought keyboard and had to desolder 16 switches to clean them and let them dry. I bought a 20 dollar soldering station and some phenomenally massive solder, watched the EEVBlog tutorials and went to town. A few months later I did a switch swap for a work board, turning an MX Black Ducky into an Ergo Clear board; about 2 months after that I ordered an Ergo Dox and was introduced to SMD soldering for the first time.

Now I'm about halfway done with the parts list for a custom workman matrix layout split keyboard for work and I couldn't be happier