Author Topic: Kishsaver Club  (Read 342785 times)

Offline sleepy916

Re: Kishsaver Club
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 19:05:36 »
It's good to see some more OG Kishes get restored. It definitely is a labor of love. ;)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #601 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 08:25:15 »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #602 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 08:27:06 »
Show Image

OG apl caps? that kishsaver are too hawt!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #603 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 08:29:40 »
Show Image

I wish  :-[

I'd love some, but for now Unicomp's ****ty variant must suffice. I'd love an OG set however.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #604 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 08:30:43 »
Show Image

I wish  :-[

I'd love some, but for now Unicomp's ****ty variant must suffice. I'd love an OG set however.
Ahh too bad bro, I wish that you could get an OG apl caps somehow

But that KWK/KBK

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #605 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 08:43:09 »
Show Image

Ugh you really need an OG set on there.  Looks amazing as-is, but that would make it even better.  :thumb:  Nice board riot.  :D

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #606 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 08:59:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:09:18 by alienman82 »

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #607 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:30:06 »
I have a Kishsaver that I am trying to restore ("saver"), and am missing 4 of the original keycaps (8, I, N, and a grey blank).  If anyone that has restored/improved theirs without the original keycaps, and would be willing to part with those 4 for a price, PM me.  Thanks

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #608 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:04:37 »
As part of the restoration, I am going to have a foot bar printed.  If the work is useful to others, I have attached the image and object file(s).  I did not include a spot for the integrated rubber bumpers (at least yet)

EDIT

I have attached the rounded rubber bumper image and object files as well.  Shopping around, it seems 5 dollars per is very doable for printed "rubber-like" in natural white.  I will edit this later and post up the flat bottom variety (my kish had two of each)

EDIT

Added the bumper slots to the foot bar.  Sending everything off for fab.  Have a friend that can print the bar, but will need to send the bumpers to an online service.

EDIT

Last edit, and I'll let this be.  Last night I cleaned up everything and sent off all three parts for printing.  My friend is going to do the bar in HD paintable plastic, and I will have all the bumpers (rounded and flat) printed in "rubber".  I have attached the latest version of image and object files if anyone can benefit from this later.  There is also an image of the rounded bumper and foot bar integration for clarity.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2016, 10:11:49 by bentleybrad »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #609 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 02:16:49 »
“Printed” as in 3d printed? That’s going to be either very expensive, or poor quality, depending on the 3d printing technology used.

Just use a piece of wood or something. It’s not like the geometry here is anything tricky.

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #610 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 03:26:18 »
Actually it's very reasonable from Shapeways for high definition vinyl (very similar to what was originally used...  I still have the broken pegs).  I own planers, jointers, shapers, routers, etc...  And worked in a cabinet shop through college.  This is much more suited to printing.  If I decide to add the original impressions for the rubber feet (see attachment), it really isn't even a question.

EDIT

I ended up adding the integrated bumpers, see previous post edits.  Excited to see the final result.  The other up side to this approach is another person could benefit from my work and have an exact duplicate.  WCass was nice enough to send me the spacer plans, and I thought I would pay it forward
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2016, 10:14:52 by bentleybrad »

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #611 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 13:24:04 »
Got the printed spacers in today, and they fit perfectly * kishsaver-spacer.jpg.  Thanks for the plans wcass.  I did have extras made, so if anyone needs a set, let me know

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #612 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:13:38 »
Got the printed footbar back from my friend, and couldn't be happier.  I really don't even know if I will need to sand anything (planned on that from the beginning), but I actually think the slight course texture of the bar will look great once I color match the case for painting.  Anyway...  just wanted to show the results.  I did price this out on Shapeways (just for giggles), and it came in at 42 dollars.  They do great work for the money, but helps to have a friend with a printer on hand

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #613 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:55:16 »
Got the printed footbar back from my friend, and couldn't be happier.  I really don't even know if I will need to sand anything (planned on that from the beginning), but I actually think the slight course texture of the bar will look great once I color match the case for painting.  Anyway...  just wanted to show the results.  I did price this out on Shapeways (just for giggles), and it came in at 42 dollars.  They do great work for the money, but helps to have a friend with a printer on hand

That's a clever little design. How do you feel about typing on the board with the leg?

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #614 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:55:00 »
Thanks... I do like it, but prefer the pitch of the Model M better.  This is very close to the original (based on several measurements I was able to take from various pictures), but it sets the pitch about a 3/16 inch higher on the 4th row than that of the Model M.  I'm very happy about what this has done for taking it back to original.  I didn't take any pictures, but the bumpers fit it perfectly as well.  Pop in fairly easily, and fit nice and snug.  Overall very pleased.  I might potentially have another bar printed that matches the pitch of the M, but am going to give this a run for a few weeks to see how I adapt.  The pitch height of keyboards (and type writers) have consistently been dropping since the beginning.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #615 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 13:54:03 »
finally done reassembling this guy. plain white kish
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline ArnavM

• Student of Metaphysics
« Reply #616 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 19:10:31 »
Show Image

That's some good **** right there  :thumb:
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #617 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 02:56:49 »
Show Image

nice kish! Paint or Powdercoat?

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #618 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 14:58:19 »
Show Image

both the plate and case are powdercoated white.. kinda the opposite of your venerated blackish. won't be getting any blank white keys though
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #619 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 02:21:28 »

both the plate and case are powdercoated white.. kinda the opposite of your venerated blackish. won't be getting any blank white keys though

too bad you live on the other side of the earth. A black and white photoshoot would have been awesome :D

Ever thought about blank keys ( in the original beige color schema)? That would give it a even more clean look.

And, if you're into clacks, try to get a hardcore white bs clack. ;D

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #620 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 19:04:47 »

too bad you live on the other side of the earth. A black and white photoshoot would have been awesome :D

Ever thought about blank keys ( in the original beige color schema)? That would give it a even more clean look.

I have a feeling the only way to possibly get a hardcore white bs clack would be to trade my kish for it.. which would defeat the purpose  :p

Might try the brilliant white blanks from unicomp but first a splash of RGBs!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #621 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 05:31:41 »

I have a feeling the only way to possibly get a hardcore white bs clack would be to trade my kish for it.. which would defeat the purpose  :p

Might try the brilliant white blanks from unicomp but first a splash of RGBs!
Show Image

Show Image

Nicely done :)

Are your Shifts slightly different shades of green?  They look the same, but many sets are slightly different.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #622 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 00:13:40 »
Are your Shifts slightly different shades of green?  They look the same, but many sets are slightly different.
I thiiink they're pretty close or the same but not 100% sure. tried to take a couple pics:

had issues with the printing on the unicomp keys not being properly aligned though. unicomp replaced the keys for free but even the replacements were not aligned so I just gave up. you can see how the right control and left Alt is below center and the right Alt above center

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #623 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 03:19:49 »
I hate Unicomp printing. Their machines are so worn out. The printing mostly looks crap. And when you order single keycaps, the printing is always off. I think a drunken guy aligns it by hand.

So my decission long time ago was, either go blank or hunt for vintage sets. In case of rgb, it's a bit tough. Maybe you should order 3 or 4 sets, pick the best ones and send back the rest.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #624 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 21:20:34 »
I thiiink they're pretty close or the same but not 100% sure. tried to take a couple pics:
Show Image

Show Image

had issues with the printing on the unicomp keys not being properly aligned though. unicomp replaced the keys for free but even the replacements were not aligned so I just gave up. you can see how the right control and left Alt is below center and the right Alt above center
Show Image

That's very ... imaginative ... printing.

My Shifts are fairly obviously different shades of green, unfortunately.  Many other sets are too, that I've seen pictures of around here.  Yours do seem to be the same.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #625 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 04:43:49 »

Last time you will see the case looking like this :D

Still have a good bit if work I want to do before I reassemble everything, hopefully I'll have the updated pics by next weekend.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #626 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 04:47:19 »
Show Image

Still have a good bit if work I want to do before I reassemble everything, hopefully I'll have the updated pics by next weekend.

WHAT COLOR?!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #627 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 04:48:18 »
Show Image

WHAT COLOR?!
Stay tuned. ;)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #628 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 07:15:16 »
Show Image

WHAT COLOR?!
Stay tuned. ;)

CAN'T WAIT!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #629 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 09:19:14 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:17:29 by alienman82 »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #630 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 13:01:02 »
Picked it up last week from the powder coaters, and have to say I was blown away by the work they did on it.  Really happy with how it turned out.  Still need to sort the right shift out, but once that is done I will post up a full board pic.

I made the cable using a black cherry cable (big thanks to nickheller).  I didn't want to shrink wrap the ends, so the thick insulation proved to be a headache when using the molded connectors.

Next up I want to repaint the plate, and replace the inner foam.  I don't think that there is any issue with the foam, but I figure might as well when I have it apart.

obviously, snoopy's blackish was a huge inspiration.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #631 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 13:09:07 »
Picked it up last week from the powder coaters, and have to say I was blown away by the work they did on it.  Really happy with how it turned out.  Still need to sort the right shift out, but once that is done I will post up a full board pic.

I made the cable using a black cherry cable (big thanks to nickheller).  I didn't want to shrink wrap the ends, so the thick insulation proved to be a headache when using the molded connectors.

Next up I want to repaint the plate, and replace the inner foam.  I don't think that there is any issue with the foam, but I figure might as well when I have it apart.

Show Image

Dat texture :cool:. Looks sick man, congrats!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #632 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 13:58:14 »

Show Image

That is absolutely gorgeous. Well done!
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #633 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 14:03:47 »

Show Image

Nice.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #634 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 15:32:43 »
Thanks everyone.  Here are some more pics.  Turns out my dye job didnt go as poorly as I had thought originally.  The color isnt perfect, but it is pretty close.

Edit: Thanks to codyeatworld for the help, it's name is now dethkish.

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2016, 14:58:26 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline avantdark

« Reply #635 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 19:08:27 »
looks sick, I love it! :eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #636 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 20:02:43 »
I really like the texture on that board ghostjuggernaut. I wanted to keep the texture of the steel underneath because I love the look of the casting but the texture of the original paint was lovely.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #637 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 02:39:54 »
Thanks everyone.  Here are some more pics.  Turns out my dye job didnt go as poorly as I had thought originally.  The color isnt perfect, but it is pretty close.

Show Image

Super cool, love the colour!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #638 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 09:34:15 »
Finally got one

Dry run assembly.   Anyone know if this connector is physically compatible with a VGA socket?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #639 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 09:50:13 »
Finally got one

Show Image

Dry run assembly.   Anyone know if this connector is physically compatible with a VGA socket?
Nice get! Is that sleepy's?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #640 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 09:57:49 »
Finally got one

Show Image

Nice get! Is that sleepy's?
No, I got it from Techno Trousers
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #641 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 10:45:07 »
Finally got one

Show Image

Looks to me like it would be physically compatible with DB-9, but not VGA. Would be easier to tell with an end-on picture.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #642 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 05:38:23 »

Show Image

Very nicely done!

The black cable is a nice touch.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #643 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 01:02:29 »
Got the xwhatsit installed.  This was actually my first time using the panavise PCB holders with one of my support arms.  Much more stable than I thought it would be.

138400-0

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #644 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 07:49:22 »
Well I had to put a different Xwhatsit into my Kishsaver for reasons I don't want to go into here. Now the issue is most of the QWERTY row does not work, no matter what the voltage threshold is set to.  Any suggestions for which pins to look at?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #645 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 18:35:25 »
Damn you guys just seem to want me to spend all my money. How much does it cost to get in  the kish club? Im looking for an all original one, doesnt have to be perfecct.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #646 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:24:17 »
Damn you guys just seem to want me to spend all my money. How much does it cost to get in  the kish club? Im looking for an all original one, doesnt have to be perfecct.

Money shouldn't be your concern as much as finding someone who's willing to let one go, I think.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #647 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:32:22 »

Money shouldn't be your concern as much as finding someone who's willing to let one go, I think.
Im pretty patient, Im just waiting on the day someone finds boxes and boxes of f77s and kishsavers in the back room of a bank :)) But seriously, Im sure someone has a kish they would sell me.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #648 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 22:28:24 »

Im pretty patient, Im just waiting on the day someone finds boxes and boxes of f77s and kishsavers in the back room of a bank :)) But seriously, Im sure someone has a kish they would sell me.

I just got mine a couple weeks ago for $375 with shipping.  This seems to be about the lower end of the average going rate for a complete one.  A couple years ago there was a box of 29 (if I remember right) but a good number of them had missing caps, scratches, debts, or very dirty.  Cleaned up they do fetch a premium.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #649 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 22:33:31 »

I just got mine a couple weeks ago for $375 with shipping.  This seems to be about the lower end of the average going rate for a complete one.  A couple years ago there was a box of 29 (if I remember right) but a good number of them had missing caps, scratches, debts, or very dirty.  Cleaned up they do fetch a premium.
How about a beat up one missing caps? I dont care what it looks like, I will fix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk