Author Topic: [GB] GMK Umka (CLOSED)  (Read 47229 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
[GB] GMK Umka (CLOSED)
« on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 09:25:24 »
GMK Umka
Following photos display GMK Umka from GMK Carbon R2 and do not represent the final product due to the row difference and the absence of cadet alphas. First picture has been shot outside in the shadows and fairly cloudy weather. Second photo was shot under artificial static light.

Hello and welcome GMK Umka group buy!

GMK Umka has been introduced as subset in GMK Carbon R2 and it was pretty expensive for many people. Thus i'd like to provide more affordable Umka. This is fairly small group which consists of only one base kit but it offers pretty wide coverage of basic 'enthusiast' layouts like Alice for example.
I hope many of you will appreciate the opportunity.

Group buy information:
  • GB time frame: February 5th - February 28th, 2021
  • Lead time: 39 weeks after order has been placed
  • Profile: Cherry
  • Material: ABS
  • Rows: 1-1-2-3-4-4

Vendors:

Base kit

Renders

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 March 2021, 09:32:08 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Capsy

Re: [GB] GMK Umka
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 09:50:27 »
One of my all time favorites. GLWGB, Tombery.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 10:07:16 »
I just going to leave this here as a reminder of the set designers views on basic human rights.  You make up your mind as to whether you wish to support them or not...I will not be.

https://imgur.com/a/HNwz0mq
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 October 2021, 14:50:25 by givemeyourshoes »

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 10:26:25 »
I just going to leave this here as a reminder of the set designers views on basic human rights.  You make up your mind as to whether you wish to support them or not...I will not be.

https://imgur.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/HNwz0mq

That's a big yikes.

Side note: what the hell is the designer's profile picture? I just looked it up and it's the picture of a child laborer.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 10:28:16 »

That's a big yikes.

Side note: what the hell is the designer's profile picture? I just looked it up and it's the picture of a child laborer.

:eyes:

Offline mydens

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 10:32:03 »
When keycaps turn that yellow some of us try to bleach them back to white.

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 10:47:33 »

This, on top of an uninspired set, that's an easy no.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 10:48:50 »
keebs are a basic human right

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:00:55 »
why is there so much keeb drama today

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:32:10 »

At least have the balls to post on your main. If you read that convo and conclude that he's against human rights, then you're misconstruing his words. He never explicitly stated that he was against human rights. The disagreement is the how to deal with countries that do not enforce all universal human rights. So, the question is, is he against human rights if he's against forcing countries to respect human rights?

Also, if you're gonna stay on your high horse, I guess you shouldn't be in this hobby where 95% of the custom keyboards are made in China.

Can we ****ing keep stupid drama like this out of the threads please?
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:37:50 by Seoulcialite »

Offline zekth

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:36:03 »

At least have the balls to post on your main.

Can't agree more.

This is a GB thread, not a ****post twitter feed.

Count me in for this set. :thumb:

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:52:39 »
I just going to leave this here as a reminder of the set designers views on basic human rights foreign policy.  You make up your mind as to whether you wish to support them or not...I will not be.

Also, ftfy.

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 12:48:58 »

That's a big yikes.

I think it has to do with this...which just further complicates matters here...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/9625859/Families-living-in-the-ash-and-smoke-of-a-charcoal-factory-in-Manila-Philippines.html?image=12

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 12:51:17 »

At least have the balls to post on your main. If you read that convo and conclude that he's against human rights, then you're misconstruing his words. He never explicitly stated that he was against human rights. The disagreement is the how to deal with countries that do not enforce all universal human rights. So, the question is, is he against human rights if he's against forcing countries to respect human rights?

Also, if you're gonna stay on your high horse, I guess you shouldn't be in this hobby where 95% of the custom keyboards are made in China.

Just to confirm, this is my main.  I just never post here.  I have more post history under this username on Keebtalk and other sites.  And no, we cannot keep drama like this out of GB threads  This is not stupid to many of us.  People should be educated about who they are supporting.  And like I said, this isn't advise on what you should do, just information to allow those that want to review it make an educated purchasing decision.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 12:55:06 »

That's a big yikes.

I think it has to do with this...which just further complicates matters here...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/9625859/Families-living-in-the-ash-and-smoke-of-a-charcoal-factory-in-Manila-Philippines.html?image=12

Actually i did not knew about this and did not my research for this picture. My bad.

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 13:50:09 »

Just to confirm, this is my main.  I just never post here.  I have more post history under this username on Keebtalk and other sites.  And no, we cannot keep drama like this out of GB threads  This is not stupid to many of us.  People should be educated about who they are supporting.  And like I said, this isn't advise on what you should do, just information to allow those that want to review it make an educated purchasing decision.

So instead of using your critical reading and thinking skills, you pulled a discussion of foreign policy out of context and say that that it encompasses T0mb3ry's entire worldview on human rights.

This hobby has enough drama as it is. We don't have room for drama that expels the notion of discussions that are based in the shades of gray that make up reality.

You kind of already see this thought process taking root in the hobby when people (unironically) say "GMK BAD." It's the sort of stuff I hate to see because it removes all the nuance from opinions and discussion. Some people believe that they can just throw sweeping ideological generalizations into a conversation and think that somehow that makes their opinion more valid than someone else's.

TL;DR:

"Reality has no place in ideology."
- Evan Hadfield
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2021, 13:56:36 by Xerpocalypse »

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 13:59:38 »

Well said sir, well said!

So instead of using your critical reading and thinking skills, you pulled a discussion of foreign policy out of context and say that that it encompasses T0mb3ry's entire worldview on human rights.

This hobby has enough drama as it is. We don't have room for drama that expels the notion of discussions that are based in the shades of gray that make up reality.

You kind of already see this thought process taking root in the hobby when people (unironically) say "GMK BAD." It's the sort of stuff I hate to see because it removes all the nuance from opinions and discussion. Some people believe that they can just throw sweeping ideological generalizations into a conversation and think that somehow that makes their opinion more valid than someone else's.

TL;DR:

- Evan Hadfield

Same for this post, well said!
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2021, 14:03:28 by Rob27shred »

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 14:05:07 »

TL;DR:

- Evan Hadfield

Well, they didn't say 'you're bad if you support this set' so the last part of your statement is a bit untrue. All they said was they weren't supporting the set for X reason, referenced a post and said do what you will.

If it was worded differently or more one-sided, I would agree but it wasn't.

Offline hello21

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 14:41:04 »
Geez, they just brought up a FYI point, isn't shoving it into anybody's face. Who's creating the drama here?

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 14:45:02 »

Well, they didn't say 'you're bad if you support this set' so the last part of your statement is a bit untrue. All they said was they weren't supporting the set for X reason, referenced a post and said do what you will.

Geez, they just brought up a FYI point, isn't shoving it into anybody's face. Who's creating the drama here?

It's very clear where their biases lie, and the implications/intent with which this post was made if they're willing to take as shaky evidence as this to say that they won't be supporting the designer.
It's as simple as clicking the "source" link in the IMGUR album.

1. The original post that these screenshots are from was made two years ago on Reddit.

2. The screenshots are clearly cropped out of some random context in a Slack channel.

3. The original person who posed those screenshots on Reddit had motivations to target T0mb3ry due to disagreements over OLD keyboard drama that is beyond the scope of this post.

4. The images were reuploaded even at the time to obfuscate context in the conversation.

5. The OP on Reddit does not even know where this conversation happened. (See source URL in Lightning's comment linked above.) The conversation in the screenshots happened sometime even before they were posted on Reddit in November 2018. I highly doubt that givemeyourshoes did due diligence to validate or analyze the source of the screenshots, any potential biases of the individual who gave them the screenshots, or generally cares about the veracity of their source given that they joined in March of 2020. This is like a game of ideologically-charged telephone.

For posterity, since I know some people are too lazy to even click through to Reddit links:

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2021, 15:19:46 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 14:57:31 »
jesus christ and all I want is 1.75u backspace
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2021, 15:01:06 by Kokaloo »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 15:08:46 »
ITT: 2020 accounts with 0-25 posts trying to instigate about random **** and fight actual users over semantics.

**** off. Stop being pedantic. Or don't, and keep trying to criticize someone you don't know over a couple screenshots while browsing reddit on your iphone which was definitely not assembled by a little kid in a sweatshop in China.

Already own the set from the previous Carbon buy, it's great. Might buy another one.

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 15:32:53 »

It's very clear where their biases lie, and the implications/intent with which this post was made if they're willing to take as shaky evidence as this to say that they won't be supporting the designer.
It's as simple as clicking the "source" link in the IMGUR album.

1. The original post that these screenshots are from was made two years ago on Reddit.

2. The screenshots are clearly cropped out of some random context in a Slack channel.

3. The original person who posed those screenshots on Reddit had motivations to target T0mb3ry due to disagreements over OLD keyboard drama that is beyond the scope of this post.

4. The images were reuploaded even at the time to obfuscate context in the conversation.

5. The OP on Reddit does not even know where this conversation happened. (See source URL in Lightning's comment linked above.) The conversation in the screenshots happened sometime even before they were posted on Reddit in November 2018. I highly doubt that givemeyourshoes did due diligence to validate or analyze the source of the screenshots, any potential biases of the individual who gave them the screenshots, or generally cares about the veracity of their source given that they joined in March of 2020. This is like a game of ideologically-charged telephone.

For posterity, since I know some people are too lazy to even click through to Reddit links:

Show Image

Okay? That still doesn't change that it was only mentioned and not used to denigrate people supporting the set.

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 15:44:19 »

Ummm. They are? You say it as if no one would have or should have addressed what was posted... Their goal of posting that information was to start drama.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 16:26:33 »

Ummm. They are? You say it as if no one would have or should have addressed what was posted... Their goal of posting that information was to start drama.

The point isn't to start drama - the point is to make people aware of who they're supporting so they can make a decision as to if they want to support it. I, for one, am happy to know if someone who gets my money is a piece of garbage or not so I can not support said piece of garbage. Y'all choose for yourself. I'll choose for myself.

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 16:27:56 »
 :-X nope not for me

Offline azzipa

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 16:52:32 »
nice set. i'm in. peace.

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2021, 17:37:00 by azzipa »

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 17:00:21 »
Liberal person from a liberal place, read the imgur post, used brain, maybe agree/disagree on some points. Checked watch, time still moving normally. Sees split spacebar and extra "B", will buy keyset. No lost sleep.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2021, 17:02:01 by Mr_BeastQuake »

Offline cyyz

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 19:43:46 »
Shouldn't buy anything made in America along with China if Human Rights are an issue, considering the amount of warcrimes committed.

Offline baksbaks

• don't be so angry all the time
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 00:33:44 »
Nice set, GLWS! Slightly ironic how people suddenly champion human rights after buying China made products left and right, but go off kings.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 00:39:16 »
Chinese CNC companies coming under fire here!

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 00:50:09 »
Nice set, GLWS! Slightly ironic how people suddenly champion human rights after buying China made products left and right, but go off kings.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 00:50:24 »
Chinese CNC companies coming under fire here!

I always like bad counter arguments to bad arguments.

Like saying all Chinese companies are evil, the best counter to saying the GB runner is evil.

T0mb3ry did develop GMK Yuri... I’d be curious how much he knows about ELECTION FRAUD.

Offline swagtronx

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 12:23:55 »
This whole 'wElL yOu CaNt BuY fRoM cHiNa' argument is corny. So all Chinese manu's are bad communists that employ children workers? Only buy from American companies, because all U.S. companies are virtuous and just?

Someone pointed something out they found unsavory and even said, 'do what you want, im not supporting this set', that's it.

They didn't go off on others supporting it or anything beyond it, then everyone coming out of the woodwork with this stupid 'China made **** is all bad, you cant buy from them if ur perfect', so goofy.

Offline thicthock

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 13:07:05 »
This is a whole lot of flak for a beige set.

Is the maker an ass? seems like it. Is he a homophob? Maybe.

If people care they wont buy and if they dont they will. I dont care it was brought up the user said: do what you want.
He didnt get out the pitchforks and order a riot. Thats what the follow up posts did.

Whataboutism in the form of: but china, certainly didnt help the argument.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:19:33 by thicthock »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 14:53:45 »
This whole 'wElL yOu CaNt BuY fRoM cHiNa' argument is corny. So all Chinese manu's are bad communists that employ children workers? Only buy from American companies, because all U.S. companies are virtuous and just?

Someone pointed something out they found unsavory and even said, 'do what you want, im not supporting this set', that's it.

They didn't go off on others supporting it or anything beyond it, then everyone coming out of the woodwork with this stupid 'China made **** is all bad, you cant buy from them if ur perfect', so goofy.

Should consider not continuing to clutter the thread on a daily basis if the intent was just to "alert people to the horrible things the designer has said and defended". The point's made, anything past that is gravy and just makes it look worse for you guys and most people will likely just assume you're trolling when you say you're not. The disclaimer, regardless of its veracity or intent, will remain almost at the very top of the thread. If you want to waste everyone's time every time they click on the thread by having them look at a bunch of weirdos (from either side) discussing semantics then fair enough, not unheard of or uncommon on the internet, but that kind of implies you're trying to stir **** that you stated you are not. Does bump and bring attention to something made by someone you guys seem to really dislike too.

Offline ee

• hi
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 00:28:55 »
GMK Ego Death when

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 12:10:52 »
not worth it
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2021, 12:35:39 by Jaxxstatic »

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 12:30:10 »
I love this base kit. This could be a standardized basekit for stock color keysets, and I wouldn't complain at all.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2021, 12:36:49 by Jaxxstatic »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 13:13:40 »
I love this base kit. This could be a standardized basekit for stock color keysets, and I wouldn't complain at all.
It's possible for it to be better.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 13:30:50 »
It's possible for it to be better.

That is better.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 14:58:46 »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 16:54:21 »

Offline AlexG

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 17:35:24 »
Nice clean set!

Offline pcire

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 17:37:04 »
Like usual, I’m going to wait till the last day to get a set  :thumb:

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 20:23:18 »
Show Image

holy ****

Guess you shouldnt have been intimidated by the big bois

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:34:53 »
Show Image

holy ****

Guess you shouldnt have been intimidated by the big bois

That's not what happened. I have respect for t0m, he has always answered any question I've had along the way and running both simultaneously would've been plain stupid.

Anyone who has seen me around would know that I don't shy away from anything in this hobby, for better or for worse. :)

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 05:49:41 »
Very useful set, ordered.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 14:19:03 »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 19:04:47 »