Author Topic: Unicomp Model M spacebar stuck  (Read 4475 times)

Offline vometia

• Caution: irritant
Unicomp Model M spacebar stuck
« on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:52:39 »
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to post my question, and that it's not bad form to start off with a "argh, please help me!" post. :)

I have a Unicomp Model M.  I think it's the Space Saver one, not the 84/85 key thing but the one in the same case as the oddly-named Ultra Classic.  I bought some new keys for it to add a bit of colour and yanked the old ones off.  I decided to give it a clean because it was full of bits of old sandwiches and stuff.

Having reassembled it, I find that the spacebar no longer works, which is inconvenient.  And annoying, as it's one of the few keys I didn't remove for cleaning.  It appears that it's actually stuck in the "on" position.  I'm assuming it's a mechanical problem as it appears to be the only key affected.

I tested it using another keycap that was easier to fit and noticed it didn't sound quite right: the "click" was rather quiet and weak-sounding compared to the other keys.  I wondered if it might be the spring but having swapped it with the neighbouring key, the problem persists.  As far as I can tell, the rocker underneath appears to be moving, but I'm not really sure what to look for.

My best guess is that a piece of the sandwich debris has got jammed between the rocker and the membrane.  If this is the case, perhaps I can fashion some sort of proddy thing using a bent paperclip.  The problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing or what sort of damage I may wreak.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

As an aside, is it just me, or do the newer Unicomp keyboards have a nicer "key feel" than the old ones?  I'm somewhat loath to say it as the e.g. 2004 vintage Space Saver I'm using now (the old 85 key one) is a really nice, heavy, solid thing, where the newer ~2011ish 105 key unit is a little creaky in comparison; but the latter does feel like it has a lighter and crisper keystroke.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Unicomp Model M spacebar stuck
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:13:06 »
Keys must be "seated" properly. I find that tipping the board forward (towards me) and making the spring flop downwards allows it to go into the key stem at the proper angle.

It can take several tries to get it seated properly.

Also, make sure that your stabilizer wire is inserted in all the right places. Sometimes you have to guide it in with a tiny poking object.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vometia

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 08:13:11 »
That seems to have done the trick, thanks!  For some reason I'd thought that the springs needed to be leaning backwards when fitting the keycaps, which did seem to work in most cases, but not this one.  It is odd that it stopped working even though it wasn't removed, but these things happen, I suppose.

Anyway, I can now enjoy my lurid-coloured keyboard, finally!

Offline vometia

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 08:49:03 »
I suppose I should post a picture of the thing in question:

I'm concerned it's not tasteless enough though.  Maybe I should order some white(ish) keys and experiment with key dying... though I'm much too impatient for that.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 09:50:52 »
An RGB set and some bright arrow keys would finish this off.

I am partial to "special" Delete keys, too, myself.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vometia

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 10:59:56 »
I did wonder about the RGB set!  They don't do them to fit the smaller left-shift key, though.  I also wondered about the cursor keys: maybe I'll add them to my next order.

I've noticed a few people doing their Delete key: that might look good in orange to match my Esc.