Author Topic: "Sawing Off" the Numpad  (Read 10844 times)

Offline CrapTypist

• http://www.georgecochrane
"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 13:31:23 »
I've heard a few people here mention "sawing off" the numpad on a 'board they love that doesn't come in a spacesaver version (or, like the M, is ultra-pricey in that form factor).

I could see gently cutting the case and re-attaching the right "cheek" to the newly-shortened case, but what happens when you take a hacksaw to the PCB?  Is there a semi-easy way to know what traces to jump, or even if such a surgery is possible?  Would the controller freak out?

I have a Dell I'd like to cut down to size.  I like the key feel but I'm no longer excited about full-length boards.  Part of me almost wants to cut down my Model M to just the main keys (sans even the cursor/delete/insert cluster) and use Autohotkeys to make it behave like an HHKB.

Jesus, I've been reading this forum TOO LONG!  haha

Offline rdjack21

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 13:51:20 »
Quote from: CrapTypist;28168

Jesus, I've been reading this forum TOO LONG!  haha

Yea I know what you mean. I'm thinking about moulding and casting my own custom key caps.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline CrapTypist

• http://www.georgecochrane
"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 18:18:21 »
Quote from: ripster;28180
Ouch - that sounded painful.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the side parts are called in KB speak, but in the audio/music tech industry, they tend to get called "cheeks", especially if they are a separate piece that attaches.

Weirdness.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 19:44:20 »
if you cut the contact sheet or pcb you're hosed. I sawed one of my g15's and all was fine until i had to cut the contact sheet then it was game over.

Offline lowpoly

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 15:27:41 »
Here are the links from the wiki:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage2.nifty.com%2Fsskicr%2Fremodel%2Fg80-3000.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fskyian.mine.nu%2Fdiscuz%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D615%26extra%3Dpage%253D1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

It's easier if the switch pcb and controller pcb are separate. In that case you can determine which switch belongs to which row and column (using a continuity tester). After sawing off the numpad you will see which switches won't work and can solder in jump wires from the switches to the connectors.

On a recent Cherry G80 for ex. you will loose all the connectors as they are in the numpad area. You will require more wires then.

OTOH, the Cherry where I removed the alpha part for my mini: It would require only one jumper wire and the remaining keys would work.

It depends a lot on the construction of the specific board.

The Dell AT has the controller on the switch pcb. The continuity tester may not work here. But you will not loose all your connectors.

Some boards won't have room for the controller after removing the numpad, the IBM M2 would be an example.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline lowpoly

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 15:29:00 »
Quote from: karlito;28246
if you cut the contact sheet or pcb you're hosed. I sawed one of my g15's and all was fine until i had to cut the contact sheet then it was game over.

iMav once suggested not cutting the membrane but rolling it up.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline jayray999

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:10:06 »
Has anyone successfully sawed off a model M numeric keypad? Although I learned from Unicomp that there are plans to make a 84-key Unicomp like the Model M minis. Couldn't give a timeline though.
"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed and they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."
Harry Lime (Orson Welles) :: The Third Man (1949)

Offline FKSSR

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:17:03 »
When did you hear that jayray999?  Was it from Jim Owens?

That's exciting news!
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline itlnstln

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:21:41 »
I might even pick an 84-key M up if Unicomp decides to make one.

Offline jayray999

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:35:32 »
Quote from: FKSSR;85470
When did you hear that jayray999?  Was it from Jim Owens?

That's exciting news!

Yup Jim Owens. But remember no time line so it could take a year or more to happen.
"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed and they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."

Offline jayray999

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:36:51 »
Quote from: itlnstln;85475
I might even pick an 84-key M up if Unicomp decides to make one.

You'll have to fight me for the first one. :biggrin:

Offline itlnstln

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:37:19 »
Quote from: jayray999;85486
Yup Jim Owens. But remember no time line so it could take a year or more to happen.

I might be on the same timeline as the Mighty Mouse with BS. :rolleyes:

With all the demand right now for the 84-key version, I would be all over this if I were Jim.

Offline FKSSR

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:40:27 »
I wouldn't think it would take them too long to make it if they got the plans/equipment for when the 84-key IBM boards were made.

Well, I guess I'll start making a weekly habit of checking out the Unicomp site. :)
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline itlnstln

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:44:46 »
They might have the plans, but I would doubt they have the tooling to make it.  I hope so, though, they can make a killing selling them to those that don't want to pay $11tybillion for an original on eBay.

Offline huha

"Sawing Off" the Numpad
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 14:52:24 »
Unicomp-produced Model M mini w/ USB and windows keys = the ****. Really. I'd order one straight away, even if shipping is stupidly expensive. Well, given that, I might order two of them.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)