Author Topic: SteelSeries 6GV2 [Red Switch]  (Read 7089 times)

Offline MachineAres

SteelSeries 6GV2 [Red Switch]
« on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:37:23 »
Finally, after 3-4 months of lurking in this site, I bought my first Mechanical Keyboard
After one month of using this keyboard, I am already used to it. I broke down my review into three parts: Switch, Build, and  Physical (or looks of it.) I used for MODA Games like Strife and League Of Legends and FPS gaming like CS:Go and GMod. (I know Gmod is not an FPS Game. :P)

Switch:
I thought that red switch keyboards are going to be bad, but this Keyboard is different from Corsair Vengeance K70 Red switch with the feel of trying the K70 in Best Buy. Before the big Enter key and the small right shift key are pain in my butt, and now, I am used to it. For me,  it's more comfortable to type even from the first time than Blue Switch Razer BWU 2013 and Logitech G710+ Brown Switch. This is probably the right switch for me yet. Every time that I play MOBA Games and FPS Games with this, it's very responsive even though I use USB for my keyboard connectivity. I also need to buy O-Rings because I bottom it out easily.

Build:
It's a solid keyboard despite it's affordable price. I haven't done it, but if I swing this keyboard to hit a head of a person, it's gonna be still intact except for the keycaps. It's quite heavy to hold for a keyboard because of the steel plate, yet I am typing on this keyboard on my lap. MY brother is a rage player in terms of playing League of Legends, and it can withstand the rage of my brother even with mashing of the buttons.

Physical:
It looks like a regular keyboard for a non-keyboard enthusiasts, but it's noticeable that it's a mechanical keyboard if you're a gamer or a geekhacker. The keycaps on this keyboard looks like it's gonna be easy to fade out, so I am planning to buy a new keycaps. That's also gonna be a con because it's hard to find a keycaps for the big Enter and small right shift. This keyboard also has no arm rest, usb hub, audio jack, and height adjustment, yet it still comfortable to type.  Even though it doesn't those bells and whistles, I would rather buy a solid keyboard in an affordable price than to pay for the name and the look of it.

Note: Sorry, I can't I upload pictures of the keyboard yet,but I will try to upload pictures soon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:47:10 by MachineAres »

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
Re: SteelSeries 6GV2 [Red Switch]
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 07:54:17 »
Here's a pic of my 6gv2 from before I changed the keycaps.

It's a really good and well built keyboard for the price but the layout is pretty bad.
Two short Shift keys (at least on the Nordic version) and an Enter key which is pretty much a weird mix between an ISO- and an ANSI-Enter.
The legends are actually pretty durable, they fade but not too much. The picture of mine is after about 1.5 years of use.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 21:11:05 »
That looks reasonable for the amount of use it has.

And yes, the almost unreplacable Enter key is a killer for most people.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 17:56:21 »
Yah the layout is just kaka-poopoo.

Mine just sits and collects dust. Maybe I'll sell it for $50.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline usno_oj

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:27:41 »
Thanks for the review. I've also read reviews from others and its been said that the 6Gv2 is built like a tank.

Offline dimmu

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 23:24:26 »
i got the cherry mx black version of this keyboard about 2 years ago and yes, it is indeed built like a tank. my biggest gripe about it tho is that some of the keycaps are very loose and may drop from the switches when you're carrying them around. i used to bring mine to the office but the question mark and left cursor keycaps keep falling off. i usually find them the next day or the maintenance crew usually just puts them at my desk since they are so used with me losing my keycaps. then, one unfortunate day, it dropped on the parking lot and when i found out about it the next day, it was already crushed.