Author Topic: pimpmykeyboard.com help  (Read 4575 times)

Offline gcb

pimpmykeyboard.com help
« on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:16:05 »
I'm getting a galaxy set for my incoming ergodox and thought I might as well include some novelty caps that i have absolutely no need for to use on my CM Storm.

Anyone knows what type of caps i should get? they only list some abreviated names that i've never heard before. and have a confusing document about rows with absolutely no measurements or anything...

They are mostly listed as  DCS Row 1 or SA Row 3... etc...

which can i safely buy for my CM Storm stealth TKL? and even if they are not a perfect fit, how would they look in most cases? to be honest i could use some keys that sit just a little higher than the rest...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: pimpmykeyboard.com help
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:42:17 »
Galaxy is DSA profile (very flat), so pretty much all novelty keys will be profile-incompatible with it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gcb

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 00:48:52 »
Galaxy is DSA profile (very flat), so pretty much all novelty keys will be profile-incompatible with it.

sorry, i was too verbose... i'm ordering the galaxy for another keyboard... and want to buy on the same order novelty caps for my CM Storm stealth TKL...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 08:09:44 »
DCS, DSA, and SA are three different sets of caps which have different designs.

DSA has a flat, spherical shape, and every row of keys is the same height. Spherical means that the four sides are high, and the center is concave.

SA is also spherical, though it's considered "sculpted" (I think that's the right word), meaning each row has a different height and angle, such as you would imagine from a normal keyboard. They are also a bit taller than your average caps. Generally, they go like this: Row 1 is the top two rows (F row and number row), row 2 is QWER, row 3 is ASDF, and row 4 are the bottom two rows. Some sets of SA caps (like for an ErgoDox) are preferred to have all row 3 in SA such that the keys can be interchanged based on the user's desired layout.

DCS is cylindrical. This means the left and right side are high, and the entire center portion is concave. This is the most common type of cap we see today (at least when it comes to mechanical keyboards). The row system applies here as well. If you're looking for something for one of the top two rows, then you would choose Row 1.

http://www.keycapsdirect.com/key-caps.php

Hopefully this helps you while you look at this link.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 08:11:34 by esoomenona »

Offline gcb

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 14:02:09 »
Thanks. those PDF have a few measurements at least.

so it is safe to assume my CM Storm has 100% of DCS row1 keys?

anyone have pics of how a SA row3 looks like inserted into such keyboard?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 14:13:43 »
SA row 3: https://bingecap.com/product/penumbrasolarized-ergodox-complete-keyset/

No, not 100%. If your CM Storm is stock, then it has what we call OEM profile caps. These are taller than SP's DCS profile. But using DCS profile caps with them isn't too bad of a difference. I did it when I first started. What I'm saying is this: if you're wanting a couple novelty caps that you want to put on your Escape key, F row, or Number row, then you can pick up DCS row 1 caps. If you're wanting something else, then you'll have to pick the according row.

So let's just ask: what do you want to do?

Offline gcb

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 15:53:59 »
SA row 3: https://bingecap.com/product/penumbrasolarized-ergodox-complete-keyset/

No, not 100%. If your CM Storm is stock, then it has what we call OEM profile caps. These are taller than SP's DCS profile. But using DCS profile caps with them isn't too bad of a difference. I did it when I first started. What I'm saying is this: if you're wanting a couple novelty caps that you want to put on your Escape key, F row, or Number row, then you can pick up DCS row 1 caps. If you're wanting something else, then you'll have to pick the according row.

That keyset is sweet. i think i like it better than the galaxy (which does not look like will be funded on pimpmykeyboard anyway) ...damn site does not work on firefox... ah, works fine on other browsers... my wallet hates you now.

So, i think this is all moot now. Because even if the ergodox galaxy set do get funded, i can't see how i can add novelty keycaps to the order... seems like two different stores. btw, i tried to email them but with those questions but no answer yet.

thanks for the help! much appreciated.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 07:02:29 »

That keyset is sweet. i think i like it better than the galaxy (which does not look like will be funded on pimpmykeyboard anyway) ...damn site does not work on firefox... ah, works fine on other browsers... my wallet hates you now.

So, i think this is all moot now. Because even if the ergodox galaxy set do get funded, i can't see how i can add novelty keycaps to the order... seems like two different stores. btw, i tried to email them but with those questions but no answer yet.

thanks for the help! much appreciated.

Pardon my late reply [though I am not affiliated with SP], you are quite right!
PMK keyshop and the groupbuy website have separate accounts.
The keyshop is just that, a store, and will ship out your goods once you purchase them.
Group buys is a longer process that doesn't guarantee production and ships once that's finished.
It's a little confusing but I guess in the end it makes sense.  [I wish it were just once account though!]

Offline gcb

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:06:35 »
besides the double store thing... i tried to buy the set, and when it goes to paypal it gives an error saying "offer expired" in paypal, after i enter all my payment info.

It worked fine with bingecap's site.... tho i can see they use a different entry point for paypal (different interface, and different flow).

man, i hate paypal. anyway. i tried to join the ergo dox set. i commented that on the contact form and left a comment...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:47:02 »
Yeah I can't login to either of my accounts at the PMK website.

Offline gcb

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 18:07:43 »
The galaxy guys should definitely add another site for the group buy.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 21:55:23 »

Works for me (using Chrome.) :-\
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 07:07:13 »

Works for me (using Chrome.) :-\

For me its been an ongoing process the entire time. I have to reset my password every time I log in and now it just stopped working all together. Nothing I want at the moment so it is all good. Save me some money this way :p

Excessive got me fixed up. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 10:05:11 by SpAmRaY »