Author Topic: Left-handed Tenkey Keypad?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Internetlad

Left-handed Tenkey Keypad?
« on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 16:10:41 »
Got a curious request today from a customer, they were looking for a "left-handed tenkey keypad", with the minus, plus and enter for the tenkey on the left so the user can use their left pinky to hit the enter key. I was a little surprised to see that even "left-handed" keyboards exist, with the tenkey on the left but having looked for the left handed tenkey, I'm coming up dry. Any ideas about this and/or where to fine one?
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Left-handed Tenkey Keypad?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 16:43:55 »
Like this? https://www.amazon.com/DSI-Left-Handed-Keyboard-Black-KB-DS-8861XPU-B-V2/dp/B0009S52X8

You'll find other options on amazon if you search for "left handed keyboard"
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 16:45:00 »
This one has the numpad completely flipped, I don't know if your customer would be happy. It's advertised to be populated with ALPS switches, although what specific variant is not disclosed.

Another is here, but (currently?) out of stock and it doesn't say anything about it being mechanical or rubber dome.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 17:15:06 »
Just a stand-alone keypad?

Get a programmable keypad, such as one of those from Genovation. Then populate it with relegendable 2×1 keycaps that cover two switches at once.
I think most of these use Cherry MX Black though, which can be a bit hard when typing two switches at once.

Edit: Samwisekoi is working on a DIY PCB for a 36-key (6 columns) numpad. A little big, but.. it is symmetric, supporting Enter on the left. Then you would need someone to build it for you.. ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2017, 18:23:57 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline khirin

• Do more, with less.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 08:00:11 »
I always look for the left-handed Tenkeypad, the mirrored version as you mentioned as well.   Finally, I decided to make one.  It's just perfect for my left hand as a numpad and programmable gamepad. It's buckling springs too!  :p

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 09:00:40 »
I know of left handed keyboards (DSI left handed keyboard or Monarch Custom Keyboard) that have the numpad keys on the left and mirrored for left handed use but I've never heard of a separate tenkey that's mirrored for left handed use.

The GH solution I guess would be to buy the parts for a right handed DIY tenkey kit from Winkeyless and mirror the numpad keys/key binding.

(Pic from winkeyless)   

Chris Schammert