Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1238150 times)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #3550 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 13:07:06 »
Anybody knows how i can got the Windows-Key (Super_L ; 0xffeb, Keycode 133) to work with ergodox firmware?
Need it as metakey in linux.
Do you mean the massdrop configurator? Been a little while since I looked at it but there's a bunch of buttons you could make the button send ... do you know the scancode of the fabled meta key?

You could also look into adjusting one of the TMK branches, such as CubUniac's, to send the key signal you need. You can also do fancy stuff like make the LEDs show layer state instead of meaningless things like scroll_lock or Num_Lock

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3551 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 17:23:55 »
It's called KEY_LeftGUI, at least in the MD's webapp. It just works.

Offline Data

« Reply #3552 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:23:48 »
I think I asked a similar question in another thread but I can't find the post.  Does the Windows Context Menu key have an equivalent option in the Massdrop Configurator?  I've tried both KEY_RightGUI AND KEY_Menu, but neither invokes the context menu.  It's the only thing not working on my 'Dox.  Glad it's something so small, but it's still annoying.  :P

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3553 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:40:16 »
It's KEY_Application AFAIK.

Offline Data

« Reply #3554 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 20:26:53 »
I'll try it, thanks.

Offline Arvid

« Reply #3555 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:49:23 »
How long did it take for you guys to get used to the Ergodox?
Been using mine for a couple of days and it feels too big, right now I am only using half of the thumb buttons and only five of the columns on each side.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3556 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:48:27 »
I don't use the outer thumb keys at all. Other than that, I get used to new layouts in a couple of days, a week at most; the only pain was relearning shortcuts, when I switched to a symmetrical layout for the first time.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3557 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:03:29 »

A week, maybe? Biggest trouble I had were the Z/X (;/q in dvorak) because my left pinkie had troubles remembering not to stagger to reach ... second biggest was Q/J/K (X/C/V in qwerty) because you use different fingers in addition to reaching straight down.

The Thumb buttons are a point of contention; I find them okay but the outer, upper two are awkward so you just remap things that you only need very rarely up there.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline vvp

« Reply #3558 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:35:48 »
The Thumb buttons are a point of contention; I find them okay but the outer, upper two are awkward so you just remap things that you only need very rarely up there.
Use tall keycaps for the outer/upper thumb cluster keys. It will help a bit.

Offline AbuBakr

« Reply #3559 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 11:16:38 »
Any idea when the next drop's gonna be?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #3560 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 14:25:37 »
Just built my 4th or 5th ErgoDox for someone else and am not getting any functionality out of the keyboard (hitting keys does not yield any input)

Potentially helpful information:
I used the through hole diodes how I normally do, soldered them onto the bottom of the PCB like I have seen in a lot of Korean assembled keyboards where they snip off of the top part from the top of the PCB.
Black line side of the diode aligned with the square pad.
I get an Auto Mode Disabled error with the firmware.eep in automatic. Maybe this is the culprit and it isn't copying the firmware correctly?
The teensy LED no longer lights up at all no matter what when plugging it in or pushing the button.
I might have sent the hex file over before the .eep on accident the first time I was trying to flash the firmware.

Edit - I tried to continuity test my diodes and they don't work. Even when not soldered on the board. Is it possible they are bad or more likely I'm doing my continuity test wrong?
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 15:15:24 by danielucf »
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline wuqe

« Reply #3561 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 18:09:02 »
Backwards diodes? They only pass current one way, so try testing them both ways for continuity.

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #3562 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 23:17:13 »
Do you have +5v between the power and ground on the teensy?
Is the teensy recognized by your computer?
Do you get a successful download to the teensy?
Pictures? (Of teensy and switch/diode soldering) (In-focus,
close-up so that we might get an idea of what's going on)

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #3563 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 11:10:54 »
Over a week but I was learning colmak at the same time.

Offline goflo

« Reply #3564 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:46:53 »
Anyone experiencing problem with ergodox and x99 mainboards?
Tested my ergodox on two mobos and both got problems starting the OS up with a ergodox attached.

Used firmware is the benblazak ergodox partial rewrite.
With my old x58 system everything was working fine.

Flo
- Ergodox Classic/Browns/Grifiti Rests  | - IBM Model M Blue Label |  - Poker II MX Blue | - Ergodox Classic/Blues/Grifiti Rests

Offline jeroentbt

« Reply #3565 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:39:07 »
Finally getting around to building my Ergodox.

Is there a reason why most DIY keyboards use a mini USB socket in stead of micro USB?
I have a lot more micro cables than I do have mini ones.
Something like this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12035 (USB mico breakout board) might come in handy.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
Jeroen

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3566 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 00:22:34 »
Is there a reason why most DIY keyboards use a mini USB socket in stead of micro USB?

For one thing, mini USB is easier to solder by hand.
However, you can use mini-to-micro adapter, this also eliminates the step to sacrifice a mini-USB cable as instructed by the Massdrop build guide.

89955-0

Offline Usarise

« Reply #3567 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 18:28:20 »
Speaking of the USB:
What's the easiest way to break the casing off the one to sacrifice?  I've got my one side without the top cause I left it on thinking it wasn't too important and now I am unsure how to break the plastic off cleanly.

Offline tbc

« Reply #3568 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 21:33:26 »
I just wanted to see what happened to the backlit version of the ergodox?

is it done?  has anyone manufactured?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline jalli

« Reply #3569 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 10:45:09 »
I got lazy and had some personal things to work through, the prototypes are sitting on my desk and I hope to get something done this spring.

Antonia

Offline tbc

« Reply #3570 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 14:42:25 »
I got lazy and had some personal things to work through, the prototypes are sitting on my desk and I hope to get something done this spring.

cool!

not trying to rush anyone.  just curious.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline okaydoke

« Reply #3571 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 11:28:48 »
Hi All,

I wanted to build my keyboard for over three years now, I only wish I could find this site earlier.
I want to build a ergodox and downloaded the PCB from ergodox.org. The file I've got after upzip is ErgoDOX20130208.zipfile.
could anyone teach me what kind of program to open this file?

Thank you all very much
Okaydoke
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 11:41:23 by okaydoke »

Offline Usarise

« Reply #3572 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 12:10:43 »
Hi All,

I wanted to build my keyboard for over three years now, I only wish I could find this site earlier.
I want to build a ergodox and downloaded the PCB from ergodox.org. The file I've got after upzip is ErgoDOX20130208.zipfile.
could anyone teach me what kind of program to open this file?

Thank you all very much
Okaydoke

This is just my understanding, but you can unzip the .zipfile to see all of the individual components of the design.  From there I'd wager you need some type of Gerber file viewer.  (Can probably just find one you like on google)

I can't say building your own like that would be very easy though.  Have you considered buying a PCB from FalbaTeach, MechanicalKeyboards, or waiting for the next Massdrop?

Offline boingolover

« Reply #3573 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 19:54:38 »
I finished up my ergodox build this weekend but I seem to be having trouble with the LEDs.  Only one of the LEDs seems to work at all (the top one), and only briefly when the usb plug is first plugged in.  It lights the LED, then takes it very bright, and then off.  Neither of the other two LEDs ever light, even when caps lock is on.  I am using the stock ergodox firmware, downloaded from the massdrop configurator.  It's possible that the second and third LEDs were soldered in backwards by mistake, though I was careful to make sure the long lead went towards the square pad.  It's also possible these LEDs were DOA, as these came from a box of spares since my ergodox kit only included one led (the one that happens to work, sort of).  But is this "normal" behavior for the top LED?  I'd think if I had it backwards it wouldn't light at all?

Thanks!

Offline vvp

« Reply #3574 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 03:03:20 »
At least some LEDs do not have ESD protection. One must be careful not to be charged when handling such LEDs.

Offline okaydoke

« Reply #3575 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 03:03:55 »
This is just my understanding, but you can unzip the .zipfile to see all of the individual components of the design.  From there I'd wager you need some type of Gerber file viewer.  (Can probably just find one you like on google)

I can't say building your own like that would be very easy though.  Have you considered buying a PCB from FalbaTeach, MechanicalKeyboards, or waiting for the next Massdrop?

Thanks Usarise for your reply and advise, I'm not going to make the PCB myself but to order a tiny amount. I've try few Gerber software online or install version and still having error while open the zip file.
Hope if anyone have open the file successfully could let me know which software they were using.

Thank you very much
Okaydoke

Offline tlem

« Reply #3576 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 09:41:38 »
Thanks Usarise for your reply and advise, I'm not going to make the PCB myself but to order a tiny amount. I've try few Gerber software online or install version and still having error while open the zip file.
Hope if anyone have open the file successfully could let me know which software they were using.

Use your zip program to open the .zipfile  :)

Offline Tracer

« Reply #3577 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 20:54:44 »
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere

I want to mount the LEDs at the top location not the switch location.

The problem is, the top location doesn't indicate the direction of the LED (square pad) like the switch location does. Can someone tell me which direction it's supposed to be?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3578 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 06:13:44 »
The problem is, the top location doesn't indicate the direction of the LED (square pad) like the switch location does. Can someone tell me which direction it's supposed to be?
Just follow the traces on the board. The LEDs in top location need to point the same direction relative to the pins they connect to as LEDs next to the switches would.

Offline boingolover

« Reply #3579 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:36:31 »

When you say top location, do you mean where the 220 ohm resistors are also mounted on the right hand PCB?  Or is there another place?

Offline Mr Alfabet

« Reply #3580 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 11:18:28 »

The top locations aren't actually for the leds, they're for the resistors that go with the leds. The only places you can connect the leds is at the switches.

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #3581 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:02:01 »
The top locations aren't actually for the leds, they're for the resistors that go with the leds. The only places you can connect the leds is at the switches.
well, that was the general intention with the design, but there are people who've swapped the led & resistor locations around quite successfully. it doesn't look as neat as you might hope as the holes aren't positioned ideally for the leds meaning that you have to bend the legs around a bit, and 2 of them are next to each other with the 3rd some way off, but you can do it.

Offline Mr Alfabet

« Reply #3582 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:10:39 »
well, that was the general intention with the design, but there are people who've swapped the led & resistor locations around quite successfully. it doesn't look as neat as you might hope as the holes aren't positioned ideally for the leds meaning that you have to bend the legs around a bit, and 2 of them are next to each other with the 3rd some way off, but you can do it.
Very true, but given the fact that this guy is doubting the way he should mount the leds, I doubt he's very tech-savvy when it comes to modding the pcb.

Offline okaydoke

« Reply #3583 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:34:46 »
Hi, I've just got my ErgoDox PCB (original design) and noticed only few keys could mount LED. I wonder are there any PCB out there could have the blacklit version?
Thanks

Offline TobiasFB

« Reply #3584 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:44:46 »
I also want to know if there is a pcb with backlight support. I really want one but i want backlight too :P

gh60

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3585 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:17:06 »
Hi, I've just got my ErgoDox PCB (original design) and noticed only few keys could mount LED. I wonder are there any PCB out there could have the blacklit version?
I also want to know if there is a pcb with backlight support. I really want one but i want backlight too :P
Currently there is not.

Offline TobiasFB

« Reply #3586 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 16:25:07 »
Would it be difficult to build an ergodox wothout a pcb?

gh60

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3587 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 16:30:45 »
Would it be difficult to build an ergodox wothout a pcb?
As in, make a plate, and hand wire all the switches? No more or less difficult than any other keyboard layout. I’d maybe recommend just using a ribbon cable from one half to the other instead of the I/O expander, if everything is being hand wired.

You need to figure out a way to get a plate cut. I’d recommend a metal (18 ga steel) plate, to ensure that the switches clip in properly. There are probably some metal shops near you that could do it for $100–200.

Offline TobiasFB

« Reply #3588 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 16:49:09 »
Yeah that was what i though. I can get a friend to machine the plates for free(just the cost of material).
What does the i/o expander do?
Does it just make it so i can use a jack cable inbetween?
And what programming tool should i use for this? I do not have any programing experience just to make that clear but im willing to learn.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:34:49 by TobiasFB »

gh60

Offline wackottl

« Reply #3589 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 22:20:27 »
Hey guys, I found out the ergodox existed last week and I've been obsessed!

I couldn't wait for the GB so I ordered all the parts and used my amateur skills to build one. I'm actually using it right now. (I need keycaps with letters)

Anyway, things are working great except one key. Whenever I use the outer most key, it reports two characters. Itself and whatever assigned to the main thumb.

93679-0

Obviously I have a short, but I can't figure out where. Before I take off both of those keys, is it possible it could be someplace else? 

Again, all other keys work fine.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 22:24:41 by wackottl »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3590 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 23:01:26 »
Do you have a multimeter you can use to probe the traces?

Offline wackottl

« Reply #3591 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 09:19:42 »
Sorry, I don't.  If I did have one what pins are you thinking I should check? 

I'm using the white painted board but I can follow the leads by eye. Obviously I don't see anything wrong yet so I'm hoping for guidance on where they cross before I move on.

Offline sordna

« Reply #3592 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 09:28:06 »
Sorry, I don't.  If I did have one what pins are you thinking I should check? 

I'm using the white painted board but I can follow the leads by eye. Obviously I don't see anything wrong yet so I'm hoping for guidance on where they cross before I move on.

Can you post hi res photos of the solder joints of the particular switches and of the teensy? Most likely there is a short in one of those two areas. Unless the pcb has a defect which I doubt, but even that could be corrected if you find it.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline wackottl

« Reply #3593 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 09:56:18 »
Gotta post my crimes, huh?

93842-0
93840-1
93838-2

i screwed up the USB connection so i bypassed it until the part arrives.  I suspect my bad soldering job around teensy might be the problem but its weird that only one key is effected.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2015, 09:59:10 by wackottl »

Offline wackottl

« Reply #3594 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 15:09:06 »
Ugh!  I took the switches off and cleaned the board around both sides but I'm still getting a repeat between the two buttons only on one of them. 

I may have to buy a multimeter but I'm still unclear on what leads could be causing this problem.

Offline boingolover

« Reply #3595 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 15:36:36 »
Ugh!  I took the switches off and cleaned the board around both sides but I'm still getting a repeat between the two buttons only on one of them. 

I may have to buy a multimeter but I'm still unclear on what leads could be causing this problem.

It's most likely a diode.  I'd start with the two diodes on the keys that are double tapping.  That being said, there look to be some near bridges on the Teensy, if you have any way to test continuity that would be good to rule out as well (particularly b4 and d7)

Offline wackottl

« Reply #3596 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 15:46:45 »
Diode!  I pulled it off and put a new one on, now it works!

Thanks a lot!

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #3597 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 18:38:00 »
I'm planning to laser cut an acrylic case for the Ergodox. Curious what others have done, what tips you might have, etc. I found the case design here:

https://github.com/bishboria/ErgoDox/tree/master/ErgoDox%20Acrylic%20Case/ErgoDOX%20Acrylic%20Case%20-%20Designed%20by%20Litster

Have there been any revisions to this design? Are there any modifications people have made? Anyone create a space inside the Wrist Rest to put more electronics into?

How thick are the acrylic sheets used? 3mm?

Has anyone put together an acrylic case, but with a metal switch plate to allow the use of plate-mount switches?

Thanks for any and all help.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 March 2015, 18:42:47 by trauring »

Offline wackottl

« Reply #3598 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 20:52:41 »
I'm planning to laser cut an acrylic case for the Ergodox. Curious what others have done, what tips you might have, etc. I found the case design here:

https://github.com/bishboria/ErgoDox/tree/master/ErgoDox%20Acrylic%20Case/ErgoDOX%20Acrylic%20Case%20-%20Designed%20by%20Litster

Have there been any revisions to this design? Are there any modifications people have made? Anyone create a space inside the Wrist Rest to put more electronics into?

How thick are the acrylic sheets used? 3mm?

Has anyone put together an acrylic case, but with a metal switch plate to allow the use of plate-mount switches?

Thanks for any and all help.

I'm new to the site as well, but I spent a few days reading all 120 pages and I think I can answer some of these questions.

I'm typing on a full hand right now and I can say for sure if you cut 2 layers there's room inside for pretty much anything. This hasn't been done yet because no one has found much to add.  Jalli has been working on a backlit version of the dox and when that's done we may see a need.

When it comes to modding there have been a few projects, basically focusing on tenting (giving angle to) the board and cutting /reattaching the thumb section.  Both of these types of mods are about comfort.

Adding extra buttons and mouse support has also been done but this is pretty rare too.

I believe the acrylic case allows for plate mounting but I'm not entirely sure of that because I used board mounting. I did it though an acrylic plate, is that what plate mounting means?

I did see some ergodox's that use a mix of metal and acrylic just for aesthetic reasons.

All of these different kind of mods are in this thread with pictures.  This means you can go through the pages without having to read everything or go to link throughs, you'll see the pics and know when to stop and investigate.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #3599 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 02:52:05 »
Thanks. The issue with plate-mounted switches is they assume a 1.5mm plate thickness, so the 3mm acrylic plate is too thick to allow the clips to engage on the bottom of the plate. I saw someone who was hand-wiring a different keyboard use glue to hold the switches in place because of this issue (something I don't want to do). If the switch is not secure in the plate, then it should be secure on the PCB, although I have no idea what types of switches people have been using. For example, does Massdrop ship PCB-mount switches since they use acrylic plates? Their description (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox) actually says the keys mount to the plate instead of directly to the PCB, but if you look at the picture of the switches in their instructions (https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/assembly.php) they appear to be PCB-mount switches (note the two extra plastic prongs underneath the switches). I am assume the Massdrop kits use the plate for extra stability, but that the real connection is to the PCB. Note that the ErgoDox PCB has two non-conductive holes in each switch grouping – those are for the PCB-mount prongs.