Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1237980 times)

Offline kaltar

Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #3450 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:57:17 »
Ever consider to replace the TRRS cable? Or try to improve the connections?

On my first ergodox, at first everything is ok, but after several months of use, bad TRRS cable start to kill it far too often.
The symptom is similar: ergodox will stop responding, and I have to un-plug/re-plug, but eventually this won't work.
Finally I ordered a custom cable, and it is significantly improved, nearly never happened again.

On my second ergodox, I use RJ11 instead of TRRS, and the third one use mini-usb cable.
RJ11 has been proved much much more stable than TRRS, I really love it.
The mini-usb cable seems nice and with a lower profile, but I haven't used it long enough to justify its superiority over TRRS.

Do you have a picture of your keyboard?

I do not know why the TRRS was the choice (probably due to the profile?) but I can tell you that the way they connect is the same principle used on the audio jacks, and that's very solid (as tested in the audio and video industry). The cable, however, is another story.

Which one? The one with RJ11 can be found in http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55043.0
The one with mini-usb can be found in page 114 of this thread
If you need more detailed pics, just let me know.

As for TRRS, I think the connector is solid and good, however, most cable we can find are just too thin and prone to break, or maybe introduce too much noise to the I2C lines.
I don't know about the cables from massdrop, but several cables (at least 3) I found all lead to non-responsiveness, more or less, after some time of use.
That's why I finally ordered a custom cable, and it worked very well.

Oh, I see your ergodox. I even commented about the tilting.

Well, I'ts been working fine for 2 days, what tells me that it was possibly the OS. but I left some things at hand running that will let me know if it's actually a software or hardware problem.

Since my ergodox is already assembled, I get so lazy about doing extra mods... If needed, I will get another TRRS cable, and if still have problems (and I'm sure it's due to that) I'll use a micro USB. Im not fond of the RJ45 (maybe due to having using that one in several projects and had multiple problems due to shielding)

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3451 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:00:43 »
How do you guys clean your ErgoDox acrylic? I've seen pictures where it looks pristine, but mine look dirty from the beginning. Is it just an effect on the pictures? or really is crystal clear?

Also, for those that have 2 different sizes (full hand vs classic) which one do you prefer? I have a full hand, but Im thinking of getting a classic one for my next one.

Offline ic07

« Reply #3452 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:32:42 »
Litster recommended me a cleaner that seems to have worked pretty well :-)

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3453 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:53:51 »

Mmmm may have to give it a try... So it's possible to have the acrylic blemish and spot free???

Offline ic07

« Reply #3454 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:46:28 »

Mmmm may have to give it a try... So it's possible to have the acrylic blemish and spot free???

Well, I mean, you'll still have some dust unless you're in a clean room (sometimes I wish I had one of those! lol) -- and you might also get moisture spots with this stuff that dry as you might expect given the thin milky look of the liquid (I did anyway, thought it might have been preventable) -- and the layers probably aren't airtight, so some dust might sneak in there after the fact (I'm pretty sure some has snuck into mine).  I briefly contemplated supergluing most of the layers together, to get around these issues, but decided that would be waaaay too much work to even think about, lol.  IIRC (even though it's been a while) the cleaner did help, the acrylic even seemed not to attract dust quite so readily after being cleaned, and overall I'm happy with the results.  Didn't bother to try anything else for comparison -- figured litster (who designed the case, after all) ought to know what he's talking about :-) .

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3455 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:46:57 »

Well, I mean, you'll still have some dust unless you're in a clean room (sometimes I wish I had one of those! lol) -- and you might also get moisture spots with this stuff that dry as you might expect given the thin milky look of the liquid (I did anyway, thought it might have been preventable) -- and the layers probably aren't airtight, so some dust might sneak in there after the fact (I'm pretty sure some has snuck into mine).  I briefly contemplated supergluing most of the layers together, to get around these issues, but decided that would be waaaay too much work to even think about, lol.  IIRC (even though it's been a while) the cleaner did help, the acrylic even seemed not to attract dust quite so readily after being cleaned, and overall I'm happy with the results.  Didn't bother to try anything else for comparison -- figured litster (who designed the case, after all) ought to know what he's talking about :-) .

yes, Pretty sure Litster knew what he was talking about ;)

After seeing the cases that are not made of layers, I simply wanted one. But the acrylic layers has its charm. I've only used the top plates on aluminum (now black aluminum) because without them it just looks dirty (probably due to the substance I used to clean it). Im going to wait for some new set of keys to arrive and probably assemble one new just in acrylic. I was also waiting for the new PCB for leds but that day may not come.

Offline anotherjunkie

anotherjunkie
« Reply #3456 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 19:55:45 »
Hi guys...

After almost a year of lusting, I've finally broken down and decided to order an ErgoDox. I have a few specific needs (er... special needs -- I'm disabled), that ultimately come down to the following two questions that I hope someone can answer.

First, when programming layers/ key macros, is the programming stored on the board's firmware, or on a program running on the machine? I want to make sure that the settings I make are stored/portable between machines. I'm not super knowledgeable about keyboards, but I think that this issue goes hand in hand with the following: if I press the "1" key, to which I have assigned a macro that should output "$1." will the ErgoDox tell the computer that I've pressed the keys "$" and "1" and ".", or will it tell the computer that I pressed "1", and wait for the program running on the machine to realize that it triggers a macro and translate "1" to "$1."?

Second, and my biggest concern, is whether or not there is a way to connect the ErgoDox via Bluetooth -- even if that requires some additional modding. My real issue here is that I need to be able to use it with my iPad, as I'm not always able to be at my computer when I want to be, but iPads require a Bluetooth connection. I've seen some small boxes that connect to the keyboard's USB cable and then use Bluetooth to connect to the computer, but I'd really like something a bit cleaner than that, if possible.

I've done a lot of research, and this seems to be one of the best boards for my physical needs. I just need to work out those two issues before pushing the button. I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Offline tbc

« Reply #3457 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 21:25:55 »
1.  stored on keyboard

2. not with the default setup.  i'm not sure of any successful bluetooth variation.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #3458 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 21:30:11 »
It may be possible with something like an EZfruit, instead of a teensy or w/e they are loaded with. One with built in Bluetooth HID capabilities. That being said, I have noticed a few threads on here have various Bluetooth nodded keyboards.

Offline tbc

« Reply #3459 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 21:33:57 »
^ i swear someone is doing that exfruit mod right now....but i csn't think of where the 'build log' is or the status
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline ic07

« Reply #3460 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 22:05:53 »
@anotherjunkie:  Note also that macros must be defined in source at this point (no matter who's firmware you're using, as far as I know).

Offline anotherjunkie

« Reply #3461 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 22:08:53 »
Okay, great. Thanks everyone! Maybe I will go with one of the add-on boxes for when I really need Bluetooth, until I can come up with a consolidated solution. As long as the layout and macros are portable, I don't really mind jumping through some hoops to define them. :-)

Has anyone here ever tried using it with an iPad, through whatever means?

Offline vvp

« Reply #3462 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 05:07:02 »
@anotherjunkie:  Note also that macros must be defined in source at this point (no matter who's firmware you're using, as far as I know).
Chrisandreae's firmware has both on the fly Macro and Remap functionality (similar as Kinesis Advantage has).

Offline ic07

« Reply #3463 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:54:36 »
Chrisandreae's firmware has both on the fly Macro and Remap functionality (similar as Kinesis Advantage has).

I hadn't seen his firmware :) .  I think his macro/remap functionality might require a separate EEPROM module right now though (the code and documentation seemed to indicate as much, but I could be wrong).

Offline madik

« Reply #3464 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 14:11:43 »
Hi guys. I have few questions.
1. What are you suggesting for a keycaps set? There are two blank options in MD groupbuy. DCA or DCS design. Any tips on what is better to go with? Or will any other standard keycaps set do the job? I prefer non-blank keycaps tho.
2. Are Cherry stabilizers supported for a wider keys like space or enter? I much prefer Cherry stabs but Costar could do too.
3. Not ErgoDox related but are there any other alive DIY projects with full keyboard kits that i can assembly myself like Ergodox?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 July 2014, 17:32:16 by madik »

Offline vvp

« Reply #3465 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 17:22:49 »
I hadn't seen his firmware :) .  I think his macro/remap functionality might require a separate EEPROM module right now though (the code and documentation seemed to indicate as much, but I could be wrong).
You are right, it is easy to add though.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3466 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 19:10:08 »
Hi guys. I have few questions.
1. What are you suggesting for a keycaps set? There are two blank options in MD groupbuy. DCA or DCS design. Any tips on what is better to go with? Or will any other standard keycaps set do the job? I prefer non-blank keycaps tho.

It's a taste thing. I prefer DCS but you may like DCA more... If you do not know the difference, don't sweat it. Any will do great with your keyboard.
see the key families here.
http://keycapsdirect.com/key-caps.php

2. Are Cherry stabilizers supported for a wider keys like space or enter? I much prefer Cherry stabs but Costar could do too.

Nope. No stabilizers at all in the Ergodox. However, they are not needed (The biggest keys are 2u)

3. Not ErgoDox related but are there any other alive DIY projects with full keyboard kits that i can assembly myself like Ergodox?
Thanks!

Non as successful as the Ergodox, and no other that you can find a complete kit sale.
Check the DIY projects. Most are on development. Smallfry's 40% and AcidFire's Modular to mention some.

Offline jakemcc

« Reply #3467 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 10:10:29 »
This is going to sound a bit ridiculous but make sure you have not accidentally entered another layer. Occasionally I accidentally switch to another layer and do not realize it and consequently think something is going wrong.

As a result I've now made an LED turn on when I'm not in my typing layer. Now when I think something goes wrong I just have to look down to see if an LED is on.

Well, I have just temporary layer switchers.
Is there a way on the MD Ergodox configurator to turn the leds per layer? Or how are you doing it?

I have a fork of some benblazak/ergodox-firmware that I've modified. The commit that lights up one of the LEDs is here.

Downside to lighting up that LED is that I don't have a transparent keycap so it can be a bit hard to see. I may look into lighting up the teensy LED instead or try to find a keycap that would let the light through.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3468 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:49:38 »
This is going to sound a bit ridiculous but make sure you have not accidentally entered another layer. Occasionally I accidentally switch to another layer and do not realize it and consequently think something is going wrong.

As a result I've now made an LED turn on when I'm not in my typing layer. Now when I think something goes wrong I just have to look down to see if an LED is on.

Well, I have just temporary layer switchers.
Is there a way on the MD Ergodox configurator to turn the leds per layer? Or how are you doing it?

I have a fork of some benblazak/ergodox-firmware that I've modified. The commit that lights up one of the LEDs is here.

Downside to lighting up that LED is that I don't have a transparent keycap so it can be a bit hard to see. I may look into lighting up the teensy LED instead or try to find a keycap that would let the light through.

Thanks for the links.
Ass this should be incorporated as optional on the MD configurator... and so many hacks to the same firmware!

Offline goflo

« Reply #3469 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 08:58:10 »
@yuiop
Just saw your ergodox and I´m stunned by the brushed look.
Is that the same aluminum plate (same finish) that comes with the massdrop buy, or did you finish it yourself.
If you did it yourself....how did you do that?

Greets
Flo
- Ergodox Classic/Browns/Grifiti Rests  | - IBM Model M Blue Label |  - Poker II MX Blue | - Ergodox Classic/Blues/Grifiti Rests

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3470 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:40:15 »
@yuiop
Is that the same aluminum plate (same finish) that comes with the massdrop buy, or did you finish it yourself.

Greets
Flo

While I haven't necessarily seen the exact image you're referring too, I know he got a metal case from the GB I just finished running ... So, no not Massdrop. If you keep an eye on the [interest check] and [group buy] sub-forums, you should see in the vicinity of a month from now, another run of these cases. Not sure if it'll be me or not, but it'll happen again.

I'm typing on one now, actually. Stainless steel, phone cord to connect the halves. I just keep missing the backspace, which means I tab out of the typing field, then hit the backspace, and poof! lose all my typing. Crap.

But that's a layout concern, and a typing skill thing. The case is pretty nice. The shop manager thinks I should get it nickel plated ... which I'm seriously considering, actually. I'll post pictures here if it happens :)

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline yuiop

« Reply #3471 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:40:59 »
@yuiop

Greets
Flo

Thanks ;)
While I did use MD's acrylic top and bottom to finish up my case, I got all the aluminum layers from AKM's groupbuy.
(http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55651.0)

As for the brushed look you see here
More

I just sanded them with 400 grit sandpaper.  Very easy and take 5 min.

The brushed black you see here is the 3M vinyl wrap.
More

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3472 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:52:56 »
The brushed black you see here is the 3M vinyl wrap.
More
Show Image

would you mind telling us the EXACT model of the 3m vinyl wrap? I haven't seen one like that. It looks awesome! I thought it was the sanded aluminum!

Offline yuiop

« Reply #3473 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 16:09:45 »
It's this one  :-X
You can get it from here or ebay etc.

Offline goflo

« Reply #3474 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 16:58:33 »
That´s a wrap???  ...it looks like real brushed metal in your pic.
Smart idea. I was already wondering how your got that even texture with sandpaper or something similar.  :cool:
- Ergodox Classic/Browns/Grifiti Rests  | - IBM Model M Blue Label |  - Poker II MX Blue | - Ergodox Classic/Blues/Grifiti Rests

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3475 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 13:44:03 »
That´s a wrap???  ...it looks like real brushed metal in your pic.
Smart idea. I was already wondering how your got that even texture with sandpaper or something similar.  :cool:

Thought the same. It's incredible how it looks!

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3476 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 13:47:50 »
@yuiop: in the product page it looks too dark, Maybe the angle makes it look different...  your post shows like is more brilliant but the angle makes it look darker...

could you please post another picture of another angle of your black brushed metal ergodox?  please? :)

Offline yuiop

« Reply #3477 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:11:00 »
My pics might be misleading because I have clear acrylic top which makes it look more brilliant and shiny, i think.   I'd say the sample pics on metrorestyling website is more accurate.

Offline madik

« Reply #3478 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 02:33:29 »
Was anyone experimenting with various switches on the ErgoDox boards?
I thinking about:

MX Clear as a base
MX Browns for keys accessed by pinky fingers
MX Green for ESC and Enter perhaps
MX Grey for Space, Backspace and del

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #3479 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 05:17:00 »
I thinking about:

MX Clear as a base
I use Clears with spring swapped on them, no lube used either: I use springs from MX browns on all the keys except for the thumb cluster where I use 50g and 55g limited springs purchased a long time ago from Originative Co, but you should get them elsewhere nowadays most likely. The only keys I find that need heavier springs sans lube (after they have been broken in) than the MX brown/red/blue springs are the keys I hit offcenter in the thumb cluster, and even then not for all of them.

Offline madik

« Reply #3480 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 05:48:17 »
I thinking about:

MX Clear as a base
I use Clears with spring swapped on them, no lube used either: I use springs from MX browns on all the keys except for the thumb cluster where I use 50g and 55g limited springs purchased a long time ago from Originative Co, but you should get them elsewhere nowadays most likely. The only keys I find that need heavier springs sans lube (after they have been broken in) than the MX brown/red/blue springs are the keys I hit offcenter in the thumb cluster, and even then not for all of them.
I will be buying the switches from 7bit and i can get any of the switches for the same price. But the idea about ErgoClears is tempting. I can swap the springs with the springs from blues that i dont need anymore.
I think that i will get few Greys and Greens and will see where I could put them. Even idea of Blacks/Reds for the modifier keys is interesting since the tactile feedback isnt needed there much.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3481 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 15:01:31 »
My pics might be misleading because I have clear acrylic top which makes it look more brilliant and shiny, i think.   I'd say the sample pics on metrorestyling website is more accurate.

Yeap. well, still looks shiny and good!

Offline bmarcaur

« Reply #3482 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 00:51:31 »
Hey Guys!

I am having an interesting issue with my newly finished Ergodox.

After installing the firmware I was unable to get my pc to recognize the device, but when I install something like the blink.hex on the device I can unplug it and plug it in and the computer recognizes it each time (makes the you plugged something in noise).

I am sure this isnt a firmware issue as ALL of you have working ergodox's, but I'm confused as to what the issue might be. If I had a bad teensy then why does it work with different programs installed on it.

I have a multimeter and I double checked all the diodes and they are all fine. I can't see any obvious shorts. What are some other things I can test with my multimeter. My electronic skills are quite rusty IDK what values I should be expecting when I poke around it is entirely arbitrary. I appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Thanks

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3483 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 15:38:58 »
Hey Guys!

I am having an interesting issue with my newly finished Ergodox.

After installing the firmware I was unable to get my pc to recognize the device, but when I install something like the blink.hex on the device I can unplug it and plug it in and the computer recognizes it each time (makes the you plugged something in noise).

I am sure this isnt a firmware issue as ALL of you have working ergodox's, but I'm confused as to what the issue might be. If I had a bad teensy then why does it work with different programs installed on it.

I have a multimeter and I double checked all the diodes and they are all fine. I can't see any obvious shorts. What are some other things I can test with my multimeter. My electronic skills are quite rusty IDK what values I should be expecting when I poke around it is entirely arbitrary. I appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Thanks

Was the keyboard recognized before the firmware?

Offline bmarcaur

« Reply #3484 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 22:04:00 »
No it wasn't, but Ill be honest I built the whole thing including adding the teensy before I plugged it in for the first time. A mistake, I am now realizing cause I have no baseline.

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #3485 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 21:17:49 »
Dunno if this has been mentioned already (apparently no thread-specific search tool I could find here?), but I finally found some TRRS cables with right-angle plugs at BOTH ends! The ones I got seem to work just fine so far.
Also found some decent, reasonably-priced USB cables with choice of right-angle or left-angle USB Mini B plugs:
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3486 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:20:45 »
Dunno if this has been mentioned already (apparently no thread-specific search tool I could find here?), but I finally found some TRRS cables with right-angle plugs at BOTH ends! The ones I got seem to work just fine so far.
Also found some decent, reasonably-priced USB cables with choice of right-angle or left-angle USB Mini B plugs:

Good find. Thanks for letting us know. Im sure many will find it useful.

Offline jmatejka

« Reply #3487 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:09:07 »
I'm having a hard time finding the lister case design files (or similar ones) for laser cutting.

The link here http://ergodox.org/Downloads/ErgoDox_Acrylic_Case_Designed_by_Litster.zip seems to be broken.

Other places where I have found the .dxf files, I am unable to open them in AutoCAD or any other program for that matter.

I'd really like the files in .ai format, but does anyone know where I can find a copy of the files in any format?

Thanks,
Justin

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3488 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 20:39:13 »
I'm having a hard time finding the lister case design files (or similar ones) for laser cutting.

https://github.com/bishboria/ErgoDox

You may need to use a newer version of autocad to open these files, like 2013.

The zip file can also be found somewhere in this thread...

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #3489 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 19:16:53 »
If you have troubles finding laser files, I should have some covered EPS versions floating around my desktop somewhere.

Offline jbm

« Reply #3490 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 14:25:05 »
I finished building my ErgoDox last weekend, and have been using it since then without any problems.

However, there is one thing that seems unusual: the first/top LED is always on, regardless of caps/num/scroll lock.

It's not supposed to be like that, is it? Any idea what could cause it?
Esrille NISSE | ErgoDox Classic | TEK 207 | Leopold FC500RT/AB | Leopold FC200RT/AB

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3491 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 15:00:07 »
Aren’t caps lock / num lock / scroll lock sent to the keyboard by the computer? Maybe the computer thinks one of them is turned on. (You could test this theory by putting the appropriate key (numlock, etc.) in your key layout and see what happens when you press it.)

Alternately, you could modify the firmware to do something else interesting with that LED, or you could remove the LED entirely if you don’t need it for anything.

Offline jbm

« Reply #3492 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 16:37:35 »
Aren’t caps lock / num lock / scroll lock sent to the keyboard by the computer? Maybe the computer thinks one of them is turned on. (You could test this theory by putting the appropriate key (numlock, etc.) in your key layout and see what happens when you press it.)

You were absolutely right, it was numlock after all. I thought I had already tested this, but I must have misunderstood where numlock was on the initial layout.

A bit embarrassing, but better than if it'd been a problem with the keyboard. Thanks!
Esrille NISSE | ErgoDox Classic | TEK 207 | Leopold FC500RT/AB | Leopold FC200RT/AB

Offline chrisandreae

« Reply #3493 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 04:56:33 »

Remapping and saved layout profiles don't require the external EEPROM (they use the Teensy's internal EEPROM), but recorded macros and interpreter programs do.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3494 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:47:18 »
Folks following this thread may be interested in my new thread, “fixing the Ergodox thumb section”:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62848

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #3495 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:29:39 »
Hey guys, I'm working on making a case plate for the ergodox, but  in order for it to fit right, the components all have to be on the back side of the pcb. I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to do this. I started out by trying to simply mount them on the back, but running everyhing to the same pins that they would be mounted. I knew that this would definintely "work", unfortunately it's kind of impossible to mount the trrs connectors this way.

On the pcb it says "Components are intended to be placed on the side they are drawn. It is however possible to invert the design. See the webpage for further instructions."
However, the webpage does not seem to say anything about this.

I found this line on the wiki: "The PCB design is reversible: the same type of PCB is used for both the left and right side. This means that it is possible to reverse the positions of the Teensy and the I/O expander, but then they would have to be mounted upside-down. Jumpers on the top of the PCB are also used." This sounds promising but it's a little unclear. Do I solder everything on the back side? If so, won't that make the default firmware(s) backwards?

I just want to know how I can mount everything on the bottom instead of the top, without having to edit the firmware (if that's possible). Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #3496 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:21:43 »
You could try this: load the PCB's with everything except the switches and diodes, then flip the boards over and load the switches on the opposite side and the diodes on "top" (or use switches w/ diodes inside.) The left hand side now carries the Teensy, the right hand the I/O extender. If you mind the diodes direction the only change in the firmware should be a new layer definition.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #3497 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:52:30 »
You could try this: load the PCB's with everything except the switches and diodes, then flip the boards over and load the switches on the opposite side and the diodes on "top" (or use switches w/ diodes inside.) The left hand side now carries the Teensy, the right hand the I/O extender. If you mind the diodes direction the only change in the firmware should be a new layer definition.

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't this mean that the keymap will be backwards? So when I'm making my keymap I have to think mirrored?

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #3498 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:45:25 »
Yes.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline primitiveType

« Reply #3499 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:49:28 »
What if I then flipped the diodes? doesn't that basically flip the mapping?